JJ

gr82b4au

But can he read defenses? What on earth is going on in practice? That's the most baffling part to me.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Not if you follow my logic. Look, I've seen all the throws you guys have. He hasn't been reading the defense on many of his throws, but if he can't read defenses, then he just can't read them, not in practice, not in the game, not ever. So, if that's the case then what on earth is going on in practice? Why do the coaches have so much confidence in a player that literally cannot read defenses?

Two answers:

Either, the guy knows how to read a defense, and shows that in practice, but cannot translate it to the field.

Or, he just can't read defenses.

Maybe, like other teams' QB's, JJ has memorized Auburn's defensive play set?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But can he read defenses? What on earth is going on in practice? That's the most baffling part to me.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Not if you follow my logic. Look, I've seen all the throws you guys have. He hasn't been reading the defense on many of his throws, but if he can't read defenses, then he just can't read them, not in practice, not in the game, not ever. So, if that's the case then what on earth is going on in practice? Why do the coaches have so much confidence in a player that literally cannot read defenses?

Two answers:

Either, the guy knows how to read a defense, and shows that in practice, but cannot translate it to the field.

Maybe, like other teams' QB's, JJ has memorized Auburn's defensive play set? He's had years to do it.

That's funny, but he's not seeing Auburn's defensive scheme during game week. He's seeing what the coaches have scouted the opposing defense to show.

edit: my sarcasm sensor might be a little off, just in case your being facetious

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

I'm inclined to believe that he hasn't been able to focus in the game like he does in practice and that JJ actually does know how to read through his progressions. The alternative just doesn't make any sense, and its too troubling for me to think about.

He has made reads, but he's done so inconsistently. The dump off pass to barber at the end of the game was his fourth read according to Gus.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

I'm inclined to believe that he hasn't been able to focus in the game like he does in practice and that JJ actually does know how to read through his progressions. The alternative just doesn't make any sense, and its too troubling for me to think about.

He has made reads, but he's done so inconsistently. The dump off pass to barber at the end of the game was his fourth read according to Gus.

Right, and that's the point that I've been trying to make. There's a big difference between knowing how to read a defense, and going through your progressions, and then actually doing it. It takes a lot of focus. That Gus gave him the ball on 2nd and 3rd down on the last drive told me a lot. The coaches know what he is capable of when he focuses, and they clearly believe in him.

JJ makes some great throws and reads at times but whiffs on others. I'm no coach but JJ seems to struggle with LBs dropping into coverage. Maybe Gus should adjust his route tree and have a TE or RB slant across the middle under the LBs in this scenario (just appears we see the same routes on almost every pass play). Seems to work against our Defense.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

Maybe, like other teams' QB's, JJ has memorized Auburn's defensive play set? He's had years to do it.

That's funny, but he's not seeing Auburn's defensive scheme during game week. He's seeing what the coaches have scouted the opposing defense to show.

edit: my sarcasm sensor might be a little off, just in case your being facetiousn

Only half joking. He's practiced a lot against Ellis Ds and all preseason against Muschamp's. Maybe he can learn over time, but not in a week. Not only is he not reading the coverage, he is throwing the routes, not the men. (Just saw an update during the Tenn game where the announcer said basically the same thing while showing a clip of an errant JJ pass.) Maybe Muschamp's D isn't realistically reproducing the opponent's D in practice? What's happening in practice that makes JJ look great when he isn't?

My theory fits the facts as well as (or better) than yours. I plan to drink more this year...

Our offense is predicated on a good qb. We have to be efficient and get first downs or we will not win. If the qb cannot pass and cannot run, what can he do?

Also for the first time ever I think Gus needs to change his offense. We are predictable and with a bad qb that is a disaster.

Sean White needs to be warming up because JJ's confidence appears to be shot. Maybe he will be better coming off the bench like the last 2 years.

Not after leading his team to a come from behind victory. In his mind

Well no sun shine pumping in this thread. But I must say I am just floored... I have been telling people for years that he would lead us to the promise land. I truly thought he would break passing records at AU. Well he still may, but not in a good way. He is the first sec qb since 2009 to start the first 2 games with 5 interceptions.

I just don't understand how he could look so good over the last 2 years and look so bad now. It really is amazing. What had caused this? I have my opinions but I want to hear what you think.

Pretty simple. He can't read defenses.

Hard to dispute this right now.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

edit: my sarcasm sensor might be a little off, just in case your being facetiousn

Only half joking. He's practiced a lot against Ellis Ds and all preseason against Muschamp's. Maybe he can learn over time, but not in a week.

Coverage schemes don't really change from defense to defense. You might have teams that favor certain coverages, but in general there isn't much variation. What does change is the look that you are getting, and being able to interpret either pre-snap or post-snap what coverage the team is in. So, it doesn't matter that he's been seeing Ellis Johnson's defense, or Will Muschamp's or anyone else's, the concepts are going to stay roughly the same. What he is learning week to week are the looks that he should expect to get, and what team's tend to do from certain looks. Once he determine's what the coverage is, his progressions will work themselves out.

As I see it, he's determining pre-snap where he thinks the ball should go, and instead of "taking what the defense gives him" he's acting based upon what he thought pre-snap would be the best option. There are cue's that quarterbacks use to determine what coverage a team is in. Many times, you are going to be able to figure that out pre-snap, but other times you need to be looking at how certain members of the defense react after the snap.

For example, if I see two high safety's pre-snap, which is a cover-two look, I know that my areas to work the field are either the middle, the curl flat, or a hole-shot in between the corner and the safety. But, if after the snap, the safeties immediately shade to one side of the field, then I need to know that they are no longer in cover two, and that I now have a safety who's shaded to the middle of the field, so the seam route to duke that I thought would be open, is now covered. From what we've been seeing, Jeremy is saying to himself, that seam is going to be open, and when the coverage changes, instead of looking it off, he's forcing the throw. I'm not a coach, but I did play quarterback in high-school, and certainly at this level, he should instinctually be looking receivers off, but it is a lot harder to do in a game when all the pressure is on.

This is what he signed up for. I hope that he can settle himself down, and start to trust what he's been taught.

Our offense is predicated on a good qb. We have to be efficient and get first downs or we will not win. If the qb cannot pass and cannot run, what can he do?

Also for the first time ever I think Gus needs to change his offense. We are predictable and with a bad qb that is a disaster.

I think if JJ can eliminate mistakes we'll be fine. Now, we may not win them all, but games like the last two will not be close. The big question is: can JJ do it? I don't know, but I am certainly pulling for him.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

Right, and that's the point that I've been trying to make. There's a big difference between knowing how to read a defense, and going through your progressions, and then actually doing it. It takes a lot of focus. That Gus gave him the ball on 2nd and 3rd down on the last drive told me a lot. The coaches know what he is capable of when he focuses, and they clearly believe in him.

This^^

When was the one time we saw everyone on the offense do considerably better? When did we really start to focus?

Answer:

When we absolutely had to have it.

I think JJ can do it. I think some circumstances have just gone wrong in games, and I think he's in a slump with his confidence, since he keeps throwing these picks. Short passes, and non-dangerous passes are going to be much better than over the middle deep crossing routes that we try to run sometimes.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

Only half joking. He's practiced a lot against Ellis Ds and all preseason against Muschamp's. Maybe he can learn over time, but not in a week.

Coverage schemes don't really change from defense to defense. You might have teams that favor certain coverages, but in general there isn't much variation. What does change is the look that you are getting, and being able to interpret either pre-snap or post-snap what coverage the team is in. So, it doesn't matter that he's been seeing Ellis Johnson's defense, or Will Muschamp's or anyone else's, the concepts are going to stay roughly the same. What he is learning week to week are the looks that he should expect to get, and what team's tend to do from certain looks. Once he determine's what the coverage is, his progressions will work themselves out.

Well, that ain't working.

So... He can actually read pre-snap, post-snap coverages and can run through his progressions in practice and looks like Heisman material. But when he does the exact same thing on game-day he throws into coverage or, just as likely, to the coverage? Well, he's obviously got the talent and skill, so I'm all out of ideas.

My honest answer is that I don't believe he can do those things and has not progressed much as a player since high school. I believe he's in so over his head on the field that he's merely going through the motions of QB. And sometimes, against FCS teams, it works.

But maybe someone else will give you a better answer both you and I can accept to explain his play?

One route that he is really having trouble with is the slant. He is staring down the receiver (usually Duke), waiting for him to clear instead of hitting the receiver quickly, and then as a result the LB has plenty of time to drop into coverage in front of the route. The LB can tell very clearly where JJ is going to go with the ball. JJ needs to figure out how to look off the defenders, but also this play is being scripted in such a simplistic way that it is too obvious for a defense to diagnose. This part is on the coaches.

JJ has a long ways to go to become a real threat at QB. If he can't (or won't) run, he becomes an easy target in the backfield, and once he drops back, the defense doesn't worry about him as a runner, they just play pass.

In past years, Malzahn has always emphasized the power running game, with the passes to stretch the defense. He's not doing that with JJ. I'm not sure why, but at present, there are like 3 running plays being used and no real effort to wear down defenses shoving it down their throats. I'm just at a loss what is going on with the offensive play book.

Not just jj. Entire o has to get better. JJ is constantly on third and longs. We haven't really offered or established an outside threat as far as a run. Our wr's has dropped passes. We're not as explosive at the wr position it seems. There's alot going on right now on o

I added this to a previous post, but this is how I see it, Realist.

As I see it, he's determining pre-snap where he thinks the ball should go, and instead of "taking what the defense gives him" he's acting based upon what he thought pre-snap would be the best option. There are cue's that quarterbacks use to determine what coverage a team is in. Many times, you are going to be able to figure that out pre-snap, but other times you need to be looking at how certain members of the defense react after the snap.

For example, if I see two high safety's pre-snap, which is a cover-two look, I know that my areas to work the field are either the middle, the curl flat, or a hole-shot in between the corner and the safety. But, if after the snap, the safeties immediately shade to one side of the field, then I need to know that they are probably no longer in cover two, and that I now have a safety who's shaded to the middle of the field, so the seam route to duke that I thought would be open, is now covered. From what we've been seeing, Jeremy is saying to himself, that seam is going to be open, and when the coverage changes, instead of looking it off, he's forcing the throw. I'm not a coach, but I did play quarterback in high-school, and certainly at this level, he should instinctually be looking receivers off, but it is a lot harder to do in a game when all the pressure is on.

Its troubling that he is struggling THIS MUCH on some of these plays, but its also not surprising that he is struggling. I'll wait to reserve much more judgment until after the next game.

This is what he signed up for. I hope that he can settle himself down, and start to trust what he's been taught.

All the regular posters can crucify me and make snide comments if you want but it's important to say this: JJ has struggled, mightily, in the first two games, however, Auburn has had other QBs that struggled early only to improve as the season progressed; there was a post earlier this week addressing this very topic. JJ knows the offense and is an excellent QB as we have all seen when he played over the last two years. IMO, it's support and confidence that JJ needs, not calls for Sean White. It's support and confidence that CGM needs and belief in his ability to coach a QB as has been evidenced by EVERY QB he has coached. Auburn people DO NOT turn their backs at challenge and difficulty, as evidenced by the win today. Auburn will be fine, as will JJ, and AU WILL win. No, I don't have tons of stats, keen insights or cleverly posted diagrams although I do very much enjoy those, but what I do have is 100% faith in our Coach and 100% faith in our team to play hard, play fast and to play Auburn football to the best of their ability and that's good enough for me. War Eagle!

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

For example, if I see two high safety's pre-snap, which is a cover-two look, I know that my areas to work the field are either the middle, the curl flat, or a hole-shot in between the corner and the safety. But, if after the snap, the safeties immediately shade to one side of the field, then I need to know that they are no longer in cover two, and that I now have a safety who's shaded to the middle of the field, so the seam route to duke that I thought would be open, is now covered. From what we've been seeing, Jeremy is saying to himself, that seam is going to be open, and when the coverage changes, instead of looking it off, he's forcing the throw. I'm not a coach, but I did play quarterback in high-school, and certainly at this level, he should instinctually be looking receivers off, but it is a lot harder to do in a game when all the pressure is on.

Great post imho.

Archived