JJ

gr82b4au

JMO but we've had 3 top rated QBs in recent years...and after 2 full years of tutelage at AU, they all looked the same when it came time to play the game. KF, KB, JJ. Fortunately, Cam had wheels that enabled him to overcome his passing problems and open the defense for his passing effort but as many outside, experts noted, Cam had bad passing fundamentals too....just that he had the ability to overcome them. We really need a professional QB coach and I don't think Lash is the one.....nor is Gus.

Next week Chavis will close off the LOS and blitz JJ until we show the ability to hit the quick passes. The running game will not get started until AU burns the LSU defense with some accurate passes.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added this to a previous post, but this is how I see it, Realist.

As I see it, he's determining pre-snap where he thinks the ball should go, and instead of "taking what the defense gives him" he's acting based upon what he thought pre-snap would be the best option. There are cue's that quarterbacks use to determine what coverage a team is in. Many times, you are going to be able to figure that out pre-snap, but other times you need to be looking at how certain members of the defense react after the snap.

For example, if I see two high safety's pre-snap, which is a cover-two look, I know that my areas to work the field are either the middle, the curl flat, or a hole-shot in between the corner and the safety. But, if after the snap, the safeties immediately shade to one side of the field, then I need to know that they are probably no longer in cover two, and that I now have a safety who's shaded to the middle of the field, so the seam route to duke that I thought would be open, is now covered. From what we've been seeing, Jeremy is saying to himself, that seam is going to be open, and when the coverage changes, instead of looking it off, he's forcing the throw. I'm not a coach, but I did play quarterback in high-school, and certainly at this level, he should instinctually be looking receivers off, but it is a lot harder to do in a game when all the pressure is on.

Its troubling that he is struggling THIS MUCH on some of these plays, but its also not surprising that he is struggling. I'll wait to reserve much more judgment until after the next game.

This is what he signed up for. I hope that he can settle himself down, and start to trust what he's been taught.

I think he does know a lot about what he's seeing and what he should be thinking and what he should be doing. But as you know, knowing and putting it into practice aren't the same thing. I'm leaning toward him not being able to put it all together at this level of play.

Of course, he was better in he past, but he had a great O-line and a powerful backfield then. Not sure even an A+ JJ would guarantee big plays and easy wins at this point. The offense has other problems.

Gus says he's the starter and that's how it's going to be, so we're all going to see if the offense in general and JJ in particular can pull it together. This is one time I'd really like to be proven dead wrong...

All the regular posters can crucify me and make snide comments if you want but it's important to say this: JJ has struggled, mightily, in the first two games, however, Auburn has had other QBs that struggled early only to improve as the season progressed; there was a post earlier this week addressing this very topic. JJ knows the offense and is an excellent QB as we have all seen when he played over the last two years. IMO, it's support and confidence that JJ needs, not calls for Sean White. It's support and confidence that CGM needs and belief in his ability to coach a QB as has been evidenced by EVERY QB he has coached. Auburn people DO NOT turn their backs at challenge and difficulty, as evidenced by the win today. Auburn will be fine, as will JJ, and AU WILL win. No, I don't have tons of stats, keen insights or cleverly posted diagrams although I do very much enjoy those, but what I do have is 100% faith in our Coach and 100% faith in our team to play hard, play fast and to play Auburn football to the best of their ability and that's good enough for me. War Eagle!

Sometimes I appreciate a little sunshine.

JMO but we've had 3 top rated QBs in recent years...and after 2 full years of tutelage at AU, they all looked the same when it came time to play the game. KF, KB, JJ. Fortunately, Cam had wheels that enabled him to overcome his passing problems and open the defense for his passing effort but as many outside, experts noted, Cam had bad passing fundamentals too....just that he had the ability to overcome them. We really need a professional QB coach and I don't think Lash is the one.....nor is Gus.

Next week Chavis will close off the LOS and blitz JJ until we show the ability to hit the quick passes. The running game will not get started until AU burns the LSU defense with some accurate passes.

I get it but Chavis is no longer coaching at LSU.

wde

I thought Chavis left?

I thought Chavis left?

Yep...ok...well otherwise fine point.

I get it but Chavis is no longer coaching at LSU.

wde

Still need a real QB coach, though. Real bad. Right now.

I thought Chavis left?

You're right....but who ever is there....same prediction goes....

I think he does know a lot about what he's seeing and what he should be thinking and what he should be doing. But as you know, knowing and putting it into practice aren't the same thing. I'm leaning toward him not being able to put it all together at this level of play.

Of course, he was better in he past, but he had a great O-line and a powerful backfield then. Not sure even an A+ JJ would guarantee big plays and easy wins at this point. The offense has other problems.

Gus says he's the starter and that's how it's going to be, so we're all going to see if the offense in general and JJ in particular can pull it together. This is one time I'd really like to be proven dead wrong...

I hear ya brother.

All the regular posters can crucify me and make snide comments if you want but it's important to say this: JJ has struggled, mightily, in the first two games, however, Auburn has had other QBs that struggled early only to improve as the season progressed; there was a post earlier this week addressing this very topic. JJ knows the offense and is an excellent QB as we have all seen when he played over the last two years. IMO, it's support and confidence that JJ needs, not calls for Sean White. It's support and confidence that CGM needs and belief in his ability to coach a QB as has been evidenced by EVERY QB he has coached. Auburn people DO NOT turn their backs at challenge and difficulty, as evidenced by the win today. Auburn will be fine, as will JJ, and AU WILL win. No, I don't have tons of stats, keen insights or cleverly posted diagrams although I do very much enjoy those, but what I do have is 100% faith in our Coach and 100% faith in our team to play hard, play fast and to play Auburn football to the best of their ability and that's good enough for me. War Eagle!

War Eagle!

Sometimes I appreciate a little sunshine.

Maybe we just need to pump some more sunshine into the stadium and locker room then. Maybe that will help.

Bottom line:

JJ does not appear to have what it takes to be a QB at this level. Maybe it is nerves, maybe it is poor OL play, maybe it is poor route running, maybe it is Obama's fault. IDK.

I am not a coach. I am not at practice everyday and I will not call a single play or make a single decision about the direction of this team but I know this. What I have seen out of JJ thus far this season spells 4-5 losses at a minimum this season. And, no amount of sunshine will change that.

Something better change by next week. The light better get brighter in those eyes or CGM will have to eat this words (JJ is the QB of this team) or else this is gonna be a loooong and disappointing season for all concerned.

No one wants to hear this^^^^(sarcasm) As true as it is about Coach Gus and JJ, everyone is dwelling on the negative. Football is a game of confidence and momentum. Right now we are building on both. I'd rather win ugly then lose pretty. 2-0 War Eagle!

Poor coaching in every aspect of the game today and some sketchy play calling. If our kicker was told to squib kick that was stupid.JMO QB play is mediocre at best. Go ahead give me crap if you like but it is the truth.

Poor coaching in every aspect of the game today and some sketchy play calling. If our kicker was told to squib kick that was stupid.JMO QB play is mediocre at best. Go ahead give me crap if you like but it is the truth.

Crap.

But can he read defenses? What on earth is going on in practice? That's the most baffling part to me.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Not if you follow my logic. Look, I've seen all the throws you guys have. He hasn't been reading the defense on many of his throws, but if he can't read defenses, then he just can't read them, not in practice, not in the game, not ever. So, if that's the case then what on earth is going on in practice? Why do the coaches have so much confidence in a player that literally cannot read defenses?

Two answers:

Either, the guy knows how to read a defense, and shows that in practice, but cannot translate it to the field.

Or, he just can't read defenses.

I'm inclined to believe that he hasn't been able to focus in the game like he does in practice and that JJ actually does know how to read through his progressions. The alternative just doesn't make any sense, and its too troubling for me to think about.

The problem is that in practice he' going against a defense that got gashed through the air today by Jax State. I really don't see any improvement over last year in pass defense

Coaching is subpar right now. The talent, the facilities, the support is there.....coaches have a huge load on their shoulders, they've got to get this mess fixed.

But can he read defenses? What on earth is going on in practice? That's the most baffling part to me.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Not if you follow my logic. Look, I've seen all the throws you guys have. He hasn't been reading the defense on many of his throws, but if he can't read defenses, then he just can't read them, not in practice, not in the game, not ever. So, if that's the case then what on earth is going on in practice? Why do the coaches have so much confidence in a player that literally cannot read defenses?

Two answers:

Either, the guy knows how to read a defense, and shows that in practice, but cannot translate it to the field.

I'm inclined to believe that he hasn't been able to focus in the game like he does in practice and that JJ actually does know how to read through his progressions. The alternative just doesn't make any sense, and its too troubling for me to think about.

The problem is that in practice he' going against a defense that got gashed through the air today by Jax State. I really don't see any improvement over last year in pass defense

Its difficult to find improvements over last year. Heck, it's difficult yo find improvements over last week.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

Its difficult to find improvements over last year. Heck, it's difficult yo find improvements over last week.

It was a total regression from last week.

JJ needs to get on the same page with his receivers and needs to learn how to read defenses.

The schedule only gets tougher from here.

And in other news, LSU is, right this moment, playing like an SEC football team.

WTH? Isn't it obvious?

Two answers:

Not even that, he is going against our second team scout defense. Our first team D is not that good to begin with. The second must be garbage.

Archived