JJ

gr82b4au

My point was that he needs to move MORE. He doesn't have happy feet, he has a happy arm. His problem is that he throws when a throw isn't warranted. He doesn't take his time. And yes, that was a standard cover-2, the same coverage he's seen 1000x since middle school.

When I say happy feet, I mean his feet are going pitter-patter in place before chucking the rock.

When you say happy arm, you mean too willing to throw when running would be better?

You think he should run more? To keep the D honest, or do you think he'll make decent yardage running the ball?

I got you. I probably should have realized that was what you were saying.

I think he needs move more. He hasn't been sacked yet. That's a great stat on paper, but when you consider some of the throws he's been making it tells me that he needs to use his athleticism to try and extend the play. That can be in the pocket, or outside of the pocket, but he needs to give himself time to work through the play, and if no one is open, go get 2 yards or throw the ball out of bounds. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done the latter yet either.

JJ is definitely loathe to throw it away. He definitely doesn't look comfortable tucking and running. I wonder if that means he's being trained by Gus to be a pocket passer and therefore being told specifically not to run - but to hang in and run thru his progressions?

I've heard people say JJ is lacking poise right now, but he's actually having the opposite problem of a lot of young QBs whose first instinct when faced with a covered primary is to pull it down and run for it. Anything but those damn desperation tosses into coverage.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was that he needs to move MORE. He doesn't have happy feet, he has a happy arm. His problem is that he throws when a throw isn't warranted. He doesn't take his time. And yes, that was a standard cover-2, the same coverage he's seen 1000x since middle school.

When I say happy feet, I mean his feet are going pitter-patter in place before chucking the rock.

When you say happy arm, you mean too willing to throw when running would be better?

You think he should run more? To keep the D honest, or do you think he'll make decent yardage running the ball?

I got you. I probably should have realized that was what you were saying.

I think he needs move more. He hasn't been sacked yet. That's a great stat on paper, but when you consider some of the throws he's been making it tells me that he needs to use his athleticism to try and extend the play. That can be in the pocket, or outside of the pocket, but he needs to give himself time to work through the play, and if no one is open, go get 2 yards or throw the ball out of bounds. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done the latter yet either.

JJ is definitely loathe to throw it away. He definitely doesn't look comfortable tucking and running. I wonder if that means he's being trained by Gus to be a pocket passer and therefore being told specifically not to run - but to hang in and run thru his progressions?

I've heard people say JJ is lacking poise right now, but he's actually having the opposite problem of a lot of young QBs whose first instinct when faced with a covered primary is to pull it down and run for it. Anything but those damn desperation tosses into coverage.

I doubt he's being told not to run. I honestly think he doesn't like to run. I'm not suggesting he's soft, but you're right, most young qbs are hesitant to throw if their no. 1 read isn't open. The number one priority for any quarterback is to protect the ball. For whatever reason, Johnson is trying really hard to force the issue. i suspect an improved running game will help him.

I would imagine that LSU is going to play a lot of zone coverage, and they are going to be sitting on those quick throws we've been seeing to Louis.

I was a JJ advocate, but after seeing him 2 weeks play poor I'm concerned. He can make the throws but he either can't read a defense, is blind, or thinks he's playing the EA sports football game.

Hope he can improve but if he can't read defenses then there is no hope. I think Gus will be dumbing the plays down, giving him only two reads in the pass game. We will see a new run game as well, may see some option.

In any team the back-up QB has got to be ready to come in at any time. So any thoughts that SW must not be near ready is in and of itself concerning. Saturday when Lambert was not playing well for UGA, he got pulled for Ramsey. This is not an unusual move to sit a QB down when he is not performing and let them think about their play. Gus and Rhett better have a back-up plan not just if JJ continues to struggle and put us in position to lose but in case JJ goes down. I don't know if SW can do a great job but I don't think he will throw directly at defenders in double and triple coverage 3 times a game. He got mvp at the ELite 11 camp and he has grit and accuracy. I say have him ready for LSU and be ready to put him in if JJ continues to stall the offense. IMO, JJ is directly and indirectly responsible for 75% of our problems the last 2 games.

This thread kind of makes the case for letting your backup get enough snaps throughout the entire year to see what you have in as many different situations as possible. After having been groomed for this position for 2 years, this situation is perplexing to say the least.

So we got a guy that has a problem, in its base form, with reading coverage. Keeping that in mind, we gotta go against 2 of the most talented secondaries in the nation, then against the best secondary coach in the NCAA (Pruitt), and then against a guy who has basically stiff armed Malzahn whenever he hasn't a dual threat QB (Chavis).

Good grief

In any team the back-up QB has got to be ready to come in at any time. So any thoughts that SW must not be near ready is in and of itself concerning. Saturday when Lambert was not playing well for UGA, he got pulled for Ramsey. This is not an unusual move to sit a QB down when he is not performing and let them think about their play. Gus and Rhett better have a back-up plan not just if JJ continues to struggle and put us in position to lose but in case JJ goes down. I don't know if SW can do a great job but I don't think he will throw directly at defenders in double and triple coverage 3 times a game. He got mvp at the ELite 11 camp and he has grit and accuracy. I say have him ready for LSU and be ready to put him in if JJ continues to stall the offense. IMO, JJ is directly and indirectly responsible for 75% of our problems the last 2 games.

I highly doubt SW isn't ready, it's just he can't force Gus to put him in. Gus will almost never take you out if you earn a starting job, but when you lose the job, you will almost never get it back. That's how it is with him, so if it gets bad enough that White is called upon, Gus has to be basically 100% certain that he won't need to take him back out. I don't think Gus lacks that much faith in Jeremy to do such a thing.

LOL!

JMO but we've had 3 top rated QBs in recent years...and after 2 full years of tutelage at AU, they all looked the same when it came time to play the game. KF, KB, JJ. Fortunately, Cam had wheels that enabled him to overcome his passing problems and open the defense for his passing effort but as many outside, experts noted, Cam had bad passing fundamentals too....just that he had the ability to overcome them. We really need a professional QB coach and I don't think Lash is the one.....nor is Gus.

Next week Chavis will close off the LOS and blitz JJ until we show the ability to hit the quick passes. The running game will not get started until AU burns the LSU defense with some accurate passes.

ummm, Chavis no longer LSU's DC

"JMO but we've had 3 top rated QBs in recent years...and after 2 full years of tutelage at AU, they all looked the same when it came time to play the game. KF, KB, JJ. Fortunately, Cam had wheels that enabled him to overcome his passing problems and open the defense for his passing effort but as many outside, experts noted, Cam had bad passing fundamentals too....just that he had the ability to overcome them. We really need a professional QB coach and I don't think Lash is the one.....nor is Gus."

Objectively, it's hard to disagree with that. I don't really need to go in depth about the lack of NFL success for the majority of QBs who have gone through the Gus system.

But that's why he's still in the college game. Because he's supposed to do work in the NCAA. And for the most part, up until now, he's made every QB work. Pretty much the reason the world is acting like this, is because Malzahn's by far best looking starter at QB, according to pure passing talent, has turned out to be extremely bad. This is so alarming because even with other athletes @ QB or other incompetent QBs on paper, none of his starters have just looked like this....it's not just footwork, it's from a confidence, potential, tunnel vision outlook.

Gus's play calling may have went the way of month old chips, with all the staleness, but he's supposed to have COMPETENT QBs, that's why we have him pretty much.

I would like to have seen SW come in against JSU. I can't help but believe his decision making would have been an improvement, and he would have had some game experience before LSU. Spurrier would have put him in against Louisville and also JSU. if JJ hasn't picked up his game significantly Saturday, I hope we will see what SW can do.

I would like to have seen SW come in against JSU. I can't help but believe his decision making would have been an improvement, and he would have had some game experience before LSU. Spurrier would have put him in against Louisville and also JSU. if JJ hasn't picked up his game significantly Saturday, I hope we will see what SW can do.

I think putting Sean White in against JSU would have been a mistake. You don't pull the rug out from your starting quarterback in a close game. Jeremy Johnson came through in the end, and I don't see how you can second guess the decision to stick with him. We won the game, plain and simple. The only way Sean White goes in against LSU is if Johnson turns the ball over multiple times, and LSU is starting to run away with it.

And now for my two cents...JJ has been turrible (Charles Barkley voice). BUT...the mistakes he is making are coachable. He still has the arm talent and ability. Kiehl Frazier, although he was a nice kid, did not have the skill that JJ has. JJ is throwing picks because he locks on the receiver he plans to throw to before the ball is ever snapped, and if we can simply train him to lock on to another target and then throw to the primary route, we will reduce the number of picks he throws big time. Gus's offense is one that makes pre-snap assumptions about where to go with the ball, but JJ is doing nothing to conceal those intentions. I do agree that a high level QB coach is in order. At Auburn, I have not seen any of Gus's QBs develop much after first seeing the field. Cam would be the acceptation, but it has already been adequately expressed that his physical tools allowed him to overcome his deficiencies that lead to sluggish offensive performances early in his Heisman campaign.

Having recovered a bit from the worst win since the 3-2 victory over MSU...if not of all time, I sit here today feeling that we are going to be absolutely fine. We have some great athletes, we have proven coaches, and we have a lot of film to learn what not to do! I hate it that Gus seems to stubbornly figure out how to run his offense the first couple of weeks of the season instead of showing up ready to go, but typically his teams do what he preaches, and that is to get better every week. Didn't happen week 1 - 2, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to show up in Baton Rouge next Saturday looking in mid-season form. Please please please....can we get healthy on D. Monty, Cass, and Rudy can't do it themselves.

Maybe this is the problem? Most of the teams on this list are off to a pretty rocky start. I would say at the very least it was a waste of money.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/09/strivr-eon-football-virtual-reality-training-college-quarterbacks/28725797/

Don't have to worry about him going pro.

Yeah. The good news is JJ won't turn pro. The bad news is we may have to put up with this for two years.

And now for my two cents...JJ has been turrible (Charles Barkley voice). BUT...the mistakes he is making are coachable. He still has the arm talent and ability. Kiehl Frazier, although he was a nice kid, did not have the skill that JJ has. JJ is throwing picks because he locks on the receiver he plans to throw to before the ball is ever snapped, and if we can simply train him to lock on to another target and then throw to the primary route, we will reduce the number of picks he throws big time. Gus's offense is one that makes pre-snap assumptions about where to go with the ball, but JJ is doing nothing to conceal those intentions. I do agree that a high level QB coach is in order. At Auburn, I have not seen any of Gus's QBs develop much after first seeing the field. Cam would be the acceptation, but it has already been adequately expressed that his physical tools allowed him to overcome his deficiencies that lead to sluggish offensive performances early in his Heisman campaign.

Having recovered a bit from the worst win since the 3-2 victory over MSU...if not of all time, I sit here today feeling that we are going to be absolutely fine. We have some great athletes, we have proven coaches, and we have a lot of film to learn what not to do! I hate it that Gus seems to stubbornly figure out how to run his offense the first couple of weeks of the season instead of showing up ready to go, but typically his teams do what he preaches, and that is to get better every week. Didn't happen week 1 - 2, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to show up in Baton Rouge next Saturday looking in mid-season form. Please please please....can we get healthy on D. Monty, Cass, and Rudy can't do it themselves.

I would disagree. Chris Todd became an SEC QB and he was not before Gus came. I also think SW has more talent and ability than Todd. I would agree that first and foremost CGM wants W's but I also see the stubborness. Any big-time coach has an ego and does not like to admit that he was wrong. Seems like that is viewed as a sign of weakness with a possible crack in the armor.

I think putting Sean White in against JSU would have been a mistake. You don't pull the rug out from your starting quarterback in a close game. Jeremy Johnson came through in the end, and I don't see how you can second guess the decision to stick with him. We won the game, plain and simple. The only way Sean White goes in against LSU is if Johnson turns the ball over multiple times, and LSU is starting to run away with it.

I think the mistake was in not putting SW in. We were outplayed by a team that shouldn't have been able to keep up with us. We played most of the game from behind. JJ has not shown improvement from game one to game two. The fact that we were in the position we were in is the very reason SW should have gone in. JJ didn't win the game JSU placed within our grasp when their punter shanked the punt out of bounds on the JSU 31 yard line. An average punt would have put back in our own territory. The way JJ had been playing it's unlikely he could have made a game winning drive, especially with the little time remaining. the fact that this was a close game against what was an inferior opponent is a major reason why JJ should have been ... when the "starting" QB falls to perform like a starting QB for the 2nd game in a row, he should be pulled. I think the consequences of not giving SW experience could cost us down the road.

Let's say we get more of the same nonperformance from JJ in game three... then in game four, etc. Finally somewhere down the road we put him in and he performs like a winner. Hindsight will make us all wonder why he wasn't given a chance earlier. If SW had been given a chance against JSU and didn't perform you take him out. The way the game was going if wouldn't have us a TD drive unless it was our first drive of the second half or the 31 yard TD drive at the end of the fourth quarter. If he played well then we have improved our position.

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this was said already.

Jason Campbell didn't meet fan expectations in '03 and everyone was saying alot of bad things about him... then '04 happened. I'd like to think JJ is going to catch a groove this season and really show out next. We'll see huh?

Nick Marshall started out terrible in 2013 and hit rock bottom playing in the rain against LSU. After the rain stopped, he got a little better and continued to get better every week.

Nick Marshall started out AVERAGE in 2013 with some miscues. This entire team along with the coaches hit rock bottom in the first half of LSU. No need to rewrite history. Nick's worst thing was hitting open deep balls. He wasn't blatantly staring down receivers and throwing comeback routes into triple coverage.

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this was said already.

Jason Campbell didn't meet fan expectations in '03 and everyone was saying alot of bad things about him... then '04 happened. I'd like to think JJ is going to catch a groove this season and really show out next. We'll see huh?

In 03 the problem was the OC not the QB.

You folks really make me laugh most professional folks say JJ has all the tools. Also their is nothing wrong with his field vision or watching his receivers, his pass to Barber in the fourth was his fourth man down the progression chart. For those that play golf it's like hitting the tee shot in the rough then trying to hit the greens on your second shot which just digs the hole deeper. He needs to let the past go and move forward. WDE

Archived