Gus Holding Back?

Weegle777

When a team is working through massive kinks it can look like total crap. That's where we are right now. The bright side....we gave enough talent to catch fire and beat a lot of teams. We do that Saturday and you might just see a different team moving forward.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at this in a different light. First game against a non-conference opponent. Vanilla gameplan. Nothing fancy. Offense and defense looks pretty standard from top to bottom. WIN

Second game: Against a non-conference FCS opponent. Nothing fancy. Vanilla gameplan. Pretty standard plan from offense and defense. WIN

What is the most important game early on that can either set us up for a serious run at titles, or set us back for a run? A WESTERN DIVISION AWAY GAME IN HOSTILE TERRITORY AGAINST LSU.

Whether Gus knew that we could win while not showing anything is debatable, but we really didn't show much. Did it almost cost us? Maybe, but we won and stayed alive.

And who knows, maybe Jovon is also being held back for a reason. He may be in that hand that Gus doesn't want to show. And maybe, just maybe JJ is more comfortable running our O with the entire playbook at his disposal.

JJ doesn't just go from a star in the Arky game to looking incompetent. There has to be a reason.

All I am saying is that college football is a chess game, a smoke and mirrors game, a poker game. This LSU game is HUGE as far as this season goes, and while most see AU as a disaster right now, I have a strange feeling that Gus Malzahn is going to show the country this coming Saturday why he is known as the MAD SCIENTIST.

Just food for thought from the positive side. WDE.

Holding back doesn't explain some truly horrible interceptions. What we're seeing is probably what we've got. Best bet is to get those injured guys on defense back, severely limit the number of passes we throw and hope we can win some 14-10 games.

Whether Gus knew that we could win while not showing anything is debatable, but we really didn't show much. Did it almost cost us? Maybe, but we won and stayed alive.

Honestly I think the era of 'win and stay alive' may be over with the arrival of the CFP. I mean, obviously you want to win your games, but style points over 60 minutes means more now than ever. We looked so bad for 59 minutes of this game that one good minute isn't going to save us in the minds of the selection committee.

Still, our schedule is tough enough that if we win the SEC, we're good to go, and that's a true statement regardless of the outcome yesterday.

I just don't buy the tale that JJ can produce in the run game. He my have a great 40 time but doesn't look quick or slippery to me. Reminds me a lot of a couple of former Malzahn pupils that didn't turn out. May be a long long time before the we see the likes of Marshall again.

When Auburn beats LSU it is my hope that everyone who pushed the panic buttons too soon will stay quiet and let those who are not fair weathered fans celebrate in peace, without negativity.

Honestly I think the era of 'win and stay alive' may be over with the arrival of the CFP. I mean, obviously you want to win your games, but style points over 60 minutes means more now than ever. We looked so bad for 59 minutes of this game that one good minute isn't going to save us in the minds of the selection committee.

Still, our schedule is tough enough that if we win the SEC, we're good to go, and that's a true statement regardless of the outcome yesterday.

Win and stay alive means something in the SEC West...style points don't mean a lot but to say they mean nothing when it comes to beating FCS teams by 7 is wrong.

It's obvious Gus is working with very few plays, even for him. Is it holding back, or the fact that we rarely execute those few plays despite numerous opportunities?

He....jus doesn't want JJ leaving in 3.

You realize to took two different positions, right?

I think the players practiced hard physically for the game against JSU, but I don't think they prepared well mentally to play JSU. I think the players mentally took JSU lightly. I'm sure the coaches told them they were one of the FCS's best teams, but the players I don't think really believed it until they almost lost. You have to have your mindset right before you play anyone. Lesson learned, never take ANYONE lightly. Like someone once said: If you don't think a game is important, try losing it. Another quote from one of our rivals big legends applies here too: “It’s not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”

– Paul “Bear” Bryant

Read more: http://www.keepinspiring.me/100-most-inspirational-sports-quotes-of-all-time/#ixzz3lgrAtRGM

When Auburn beats LSU it is my hope that everyone who pushed the panic buttons too soon will stay quiet and let those who are not fair weathered fans celebrate in peace, without negativity.

Accepting reality is not being a fair weather fan. So far, we ain't played so hot this season and no thickness of orange and blue shades can change that. There's no panic button, it's accepting what's real as, well, reality.

Let's look at this in a different light. First game against a non-conference opponent. Vanilla gameplan. Nothing fancy. Offense and defense looks pretty standard from top to bottom. WIN

Second game: Against a non-conference FCS opponent. Nothing fancy. Vanilla gameplan. Pretty standard plan from offense and defense. WIN

What is the most important game early on that can either set us up for a serious run at titles, or set us back for a run? A WESTERN DIVISION AWAY GAME IN HOSTILE TERRITORY AGAINST LSU.

And who knows, maybe Jovon is also being held back for a reason. He may be in that hand that Gus doesn't want to show. And maybe, just maybe JJ is more comfortable running our O with the entire playbook at his disposal.

JJ doesn't just go from a star in the Arky game to looking incompetent. There has to be a reason.

All I am saying is that college football is a chess game, a smoke and mirrors game, a poker game. This LSU game is HUGE as far as this season goes, and while most see AU as a disaster right now, I have a strange feeling that Gus Malzahn is going to show the country this coming Saturday why he is known as the MAD SCIENTIST.

Just food for thought from the positive side. WDE.

I like the mentality. Only problem I see with it is that I think PB is our guy in the backfield. Whether JR and RT are hurt or not, PB has shown he should be the guy.

It's never as bad or as good as it seems. Everyone take a step back from the ledge (I was there myself during and immediately after the game). Consider the entire situation that came to pass in the JSU game and how many other good teams year in and year out have very similar games. Heck, we should have lost to Kentucky with Cam Newton and everyone thought we were finished. That turned out ok. We could lose to LSU by double digits and still make the playoffs should we win out after that. Everything we are seeing is evidence of a young team missing assignments and pressing. Even Jay Barker said this morning that all of JJs mistakes are evidence of pressing. It won't likely all be fixed this week or next, but as a whole team (if we get some star defensive players back) we are not near as bad some are making us out to be. As long as we improve every week we will have a shot at Atlanta. That is all we can ask out of a team this young. Someone posted the other day that the last NC team to have anywhere near this amount of youth was LSU. They were not undefeated and had less youth than we do. I saw progress from some very talented freshman corners learning mid game to find the ball in the air (should help a boatload against LSU). I saw a true beast of RB emerge that can will a team to a win. I saw a qb not crumble when the game was on the line and do what was needed (still need a lot more improvement, but there were some good signs).

I still expect JJ to make some bad throws and probably a few more terrible ones, but he does the ability to make big plays (he's made a long TD pass in each game). As soon as the game slows down a little for him, he will be serviceable to the fact that an improving D may give us just enough time to work some kinks out. The game plan may have to change (which I still say the plays called will be completely different this week), but Gus's playcalling always changes as the season "evolves". We may not be world beaters, but the door isn't 100 percent closed on a bid to Atlanta IMO. Let's remember that LSU and MSU both had very subpar offensive performances (minus LSUs RB), bama doesn't have a qb that any of them like, Arky lost to Toledo, aTm looks like this every year early, and Ole Miss we know nothing about til Saturday. It's not over yet guys.

It's never as bad or as good as it seems. Everyone take a step back from the ledge (I was there myself during and immediately after the game). Consider the entire situation that came to pass in the JSU game and how many other good teams year in and year out have very similar games. Heck, we should have lost to Kentucky with Cam Newton and everyone thought we were finished. That turned out ok. We could lose to LSU by double digits and still make the playoffs should we win out after that. Everything we are seeing is evidence of a young team missing assignments and pressing. Even Jay Barker said this morning that all of JJs mistakes are evidence of pressing. It won't likely all be fixed this week or next, but as a whole team (if we get some star defensive players back) we are not near as bad some are making us out to be. As long as we improve every week we will have a shot at Atlanta. That is all we can ask out of a team this young. Someone posted the other day that the last NC team to have anywhere near this amount of youth was LSU. They were not undefeated and had less youth than we do. I saw progress from some very talented freshman corners learning mid game to find the ball in the air (should help a boatload against LSU). I saw a true beast of RB emerge that can will a team to a win. I saw a qb not crumble when the game was on the line and do what was needed (still need a lot more improvement, but there were some good signs).

I still expect JJ to make some bad throws and probably a few more terrible ones, but he does the ability to make big plays (he's made a long TD pass in each game). As soon as the game slows down a little for him, he will be serviceable to the fact that an improving D may give us just enough time to work some kinks out. The game plan may have to change (which I still say the plays called will be completely different this week), but Gus's playcalling always changes as the season "evolves". We may not be world beaters, but the door isn't 100 percent closed on a bid to Atlanta IMO. Let's remember that LSU and MSU both had very subpar offensive performances (minus LSUs RB), bama doesn't have a qb that any of them like, Arky lost to Toledo, aTm looks like this every year early, and Ole Miss we know nothing about til Saturday. It's not over yet guys.

Did you really just quote Jay Barker???? :/

Ive seen 8th graders run a more advanced offense.

I promise you JJ ran and excelled in a more advanced offense at Carver HS. He was a threat to run and a weapon to pass the ball every time he touched the ball. The JJ I've watched these last two games isn't the same player mentally or physically.

Ive seen 8th graders run a more advanced offense.

I promise you JJ ran and excelled in a more advanced offense at Carver HS. He was a threat to run and a weapon to pass the ball every time he touched the ball. The JJ I've watched these last two games isn't the same player mentally or physically.

I've said ad nauseam that JJ's prior experience at Auburn wasn't enough to go on, but I completely agree with you here. Even the most pessimistic of us didn't expect what has happened.

If Auburn football is any one thing at all times, it's inexplicable. 2012 was inexplicable, and so was 2013. Cam Newton was inexplicable, and so is Jeremy Johnson. Let's just hope for an inexplicable turnaround.

Did you really read that whole thing and only comment on Jay Barker? Yes I quoted him. It's not common practice to quote the opposition, but in terms of dissecting bad qb play, Jay has no reason to prop up JJ. He actually had a good analysis of JJs technique on the bad throws and good reasons as to why that happened. I don't normally quote bammers, but sometimes they are useful idiots.

Did you really read that whole thing and only comment on Jay Barker? Yes I quoted him. It's not common practice to quote the opposition, but in terms of dissecting bad qb play, Jay has no reason to prop up JJ. He actually had a good analysis of JJs technique on the bad throws and good reasons as to why that happened. I don't normally quote bammers, but sometimes they are useful idiots.

I actually don't care thar you quoted him, but many on this site might crucify you for doing so, regardless if his analysis is spot on.

Archived