Jason Smith Package

StatTiger

Would love to see Jason Smith utilized in the orbit motion, which we haven't see very much. We saw it frequently during 2009. First play of the game would be an end-around to Smith to slow down the ends crashing on the RB. Fake the end around the next few times and then throw a swing pass to him in the flat. Defenders almost always left the orbit-player free in the flat after the fake end around was clear. This package alone would address several current issues on offense.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's put this in the first 9 scripted plays!

I'll be happy if the first 9 plays are more than 3 plays played multiple times... As well as the next 30

Yeah, but I was being serious. I'd really like to see this, or something like this, included in the scripted plays.

So, what do you think the chances are that we'll actually see this, Stat? I'm joking around with golf, but I am completely serious that this sounds like a good idea.

Stat, I read you as suggesting something other than using Smith in the Wildcat role, but instead leveraging him as a WR (end-around, then fake end-around followed by a swing pass). I could even imagine some kind of trick play where we have smith throw from the swing pass, at some point.

So, what do you think the chances are that we'll actually see this, Stat? I'm joking around with golf, but I am completely serious that this sounds like a good idea.

Don't know. It is already in the playbook and would address so many issues. It forces the defense to go through progressions, slowing them down. It would help the inside running game. It would force the LB's to play run first twice, which would open up the slant. Easy read for JJ and an easy completion. It also opens up another role or utility player by getting Smith out in space to create impact plays much needed.

Been saying this a thousand times regarding Jason. Hopefully i'll see some of it Saturday. Put him in the: wildcat, at QB with read option, let him throw 2-5 times under center. All while JJ is in the game as well. I don't want to sub Jason for JJ in situations where Jason may be under center though. Jason needs to be moved all around the field and touch the ball often

We haven't had much need for a wildcat in a few years because of Nick ...but looks like JJ will not run or will not be allowed to run other than straight ahead....so seems it's time to dust off some old wildcat plays and Smith might be the best guy to run them....got the size and speed to make some yardage....and keep the D off balance.

Brandon Marcello@bmarcello 48m48 minutes ago

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Sounds to me like they might be.

That was the vibe that I got when I read the article.

Well GM is not stupid. Why would you think he hasn't tried this. There's only one explanation for the play calling this year. Camo. He is just stubborn enough to think he can win vanilla early. And maybe he's right. We shall see.

...Fake the end around the next few times and then throw a swing pass to him in the flat...This package alone would address several current issues on offense.

Until it's thrown directly to a defender.

Someone had to say it.

It would force the LB's to freeze for the run or show their hand in pass coverage. Easy read for Jeremy if it is a pass play.

this was what our offense was built around in 09. It absolutely freezes the backers. Haven't done near as much since. I think the misdirection makes blocking assignments easier too.

Stat, am I just crazy? I didn't think you were talking about using Jason Smith in the wildcat.

Maybe we need some of your diagrams.

:dunno:/>

I wasn't. Wildcat would be fine but what I discussed has more variety and solutions.

Stat, am I just crazy? I didn't think you were talking about using Jason Smith in the wildcat.

Maybe we need some of your diagrams.

:dunno:/>

I wasn't. Wildcat would be fine but what I discussed has more variety and solutions.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I think I can picture it in my head. But how would it be different from using Louis on the sweep?

I like the way Stat is thinking. I was going to post something similar but no where near as specific. I think it's critical to give the LSU defense different looks, that they haven't seen on film, from our first offensive play. I was thinking having a designed run by Jeremy as the first play just to show them that he will run. Follow it up with some kind of sweep or reverse and then mix in similiar types of plays occasionally to try to keep them thinking too much. The general idea is to sew seeds of doubt from the start and then repeat that process occasionally enough to keep them mentally distracted.

Archived