Jason Smith Package

StatTiger

Wouldn't we rather see the offense function as planned and not have to change directions 2 GAMES in the season? Jason Smith will play a key role in games where throwing in the kitchen sink is necessary. First we need downhill running.

I think we are there. In fact, just yesterday I saw Lashlee picking out some kitchen sinks at home depot to bring to Saturdays game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orbit motion

Jet motion

Zone read

Inverted veer

Counter

Shifting formations

Wildcat

Unbalanced line

Direct snap to RB

I'm missing the exciting plays we have run over the years, and our offense is missing out on its potential.

Disclaimer. I know nothing of football beyond being an avid fan. Just last week my son had to explain to me what an inverted veer is.

IMO some coaches become more conservative after they have tasted success. Coach Dye was a different coach after the '83 season. He seemed to coach not to lose rather coached to win after that season. Of course he continued to win at Auburn but something changed after that landmark season. And Tuberville was no longer the Riverboat Gambler after a couple of seasons at Auburn. How many times did we see him go conservative on offense in the second half, seemingly to sit on an Auburn lead. Perhaps we are seeing some of this in Gus with his play calling. The HUNH seems to occur in name only and not on the field.

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 48m48 minutes ago

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Who's the guy that went to Auburn practices this fall from this forum? Can I ask what we were doing then because it didn't seem like a lot

PTB. He posted JJ didn't look to good after one scrimmage then gus said different to the press later. Maybe gus was hiding it.

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Who's the guy that went to Auburn practices this fall from this forum? Can I ask what we were doing then because it didn't seem like a lot

PTB. He posted JJ didn't look to good after one scrimmage then gus said different to the press later. Maybe gus was hiding it.

From my observation, most coaches are not trustworthy when discussing how a player looks in practice....or whether a player is ready to play....and why should they be ? Deception is a key part of football and it begins on the practice field IMO. PLUS...like my crappy golf game, my problem is taking what I know and what I do on the practice range and being able to put that knowledge to use on the golf course. ..same for guys like JJ on the football field.

0 retweets0 favoriReply

From my observation, most coaches are not trustworthy when discussing how a player looks in practice....or whether a player is ready to play....and why should they be ? Deception is a key part of football and it begins on the practice field IMO. PLUS...like my crappy golf game, my problem is taking what I know and what I do on the practice range and being able to put that knowledge to use on the golf course. ..same for guys like JJ on the football field.

i hope Sean white is like my golf game. I hate the range. Don't look impressive, use it to loosen up and stretch out. (Especially with distance control, to me th range is worthless) but I carried about a 2 handicap when I kept it. Jason Campbell was the same way. He was beat out by Daniel Cobb in practice but Jason played better in games.

The HUNH seems to occur in name only and not on the field.

Unfortunately Gus's HUNH requires the defense to be on their heels to really kick in. We haven't had a defense there since we ran over Missouri in the SEC championship in 2013. Currently our HUNH lasts 2 plays because the 2nd is stuffed for a max 1-2 yard gain.

The HUNH seems to occur in name only and not on the field.

Unfortunately Gus's HUNH requires the defense to be on their heels to really kick in. We haven't had a defense there since we ran over Missouri in the SEC championship in 2013. Currently our HUNH lasts 2 plays because the 2nd is stuffed for a max 1-2 yard gain.

as bad as i hate to admit it you are correct.

Isn't this essentially the play where we fake 2 handoffs and throw deep? It got us a td in the last game. It can be used a ton of ways, of course. Not just the deep throw.

Close but the play you are referring to is normally the play AU runs coming out of the sugar huddle with the QB under center, QB fakes the end-around and throws deep.

Not quite. Watch the highlights from the last game. We were in shotgun, faked the handoff to the RB, turned around and faked the handoff to the end around, then throws deep for the td. Only difference between that play and yours was that both the RB and WR end around went the same direction instead of opposite directions as in your play (and that its a pass instead of a run and its pre determined). Same basic play though. We do this play out of several different formations normally and use all 4 options out of it (usually predetermined options though)

Isn't this essentially the play where we fake 2 handoffs and throw deep? It got us a td in the last game. It can be used a ton of ways, of course. Not just the deep throw.

Close but the play you are referring to is normally the play AU runs coming out of the sugar huddle with the QB under center, QB fakes the end-around and throws deep.

Not quite. Watch the highlights from the last game. We were in shotgun, faked the handoff to the RB, turned around and faked the handoff to the end around, then throws deep for the td. Only difference between that play and yours was that both the RB and WR end around went the same direction instead of opposite directions as in your play (and that its a pass instead of a run and its pre determined). Same basic play though. We do this play out of several different formations normally and use all 4 options out of it (usually predetermined options though)

And it was the laziest fake I've seen outside of high school.....starting to believe some of the Lashley comments.

And it was the laziest fake I've seen outside of high school.....starting to believe some of the Lashley comments.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed has awful that "fake" was.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed has awful that "fake" was.

One would think these kids would realize how important it is to sell these fakes or atleast make a good effort to sell it. Marshall is a prime example of what selling a fake can do to a defense and JJ had a front row seat to that show.

You play how you practice and this doesn't reflect well on the coach.

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Deception is part of every coach's MO, whether it's calling plays or talking to the media. A coach is not going to ever say that a certain player did not have a good practice. There are ways around saying that without saying that. Like Saban told everybody for weeks, 'none of the QBs are separating from the others'. A coach may say that the offense did not practice well or something like that. Obviously, JJ is the best we have at this point because coaches will not put his best players on the bench to play a lesser player. I think JJ will be fine. The coaches are working on settling him down. I personally think he needs some planned runs early to loosen him up and also let the defense know that we will run the QB and they have to respect it.

Watched the highlight of the Roc TD pass and this not the play I initially spoke of. The play I thought you were speaking of was the deep ball we often throw coming out of the sugar huddle. The Roc Thomas play is not "orbit" motion but just a fake to the back and a deep ball. I did like the design of the play but not the play I was referring to.

This is the look I was speaking of....

Watch the first couple of plays...

that is when i think gus did his best work. he had much less to work with.

Yeah I ended up watching the whole clip and was thinking the whole time that the offense back then seemed much more creative than now. I don't really understand why. I'm just hoping Gus went in to the 1st 2 games trying to be vanilla.

Yes Gus did some awesome plays back then. Loved the misdirection and pulling guards on counters.

* Although LSU did beat the hell out of us actually shut us down, didn't get a TD till the last few minutes of the fourth.

Archived