Peyton Barber named the starter at RB!

SCBusPilot

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/peyton_barber_named_auburn_starting_running_back_lsu.html#incart_river

Peyton Barber may have saved Auburn's season Saturday.

Now Gus Malzahn is rewarding him by naming the sophomore the Tigers' starting running back.

"Peyton has really stepped up," Malzahn said Tuesday. "He'll be the first guy out there. Those other three running backs, there's a decent chance you'll see them on the field too."

Malzahn has come close to publicly naming Barber the Tigers' starter, but Tuesday marked the first time he has done so in an official capacity. The move was reflected in a depth chart released by

Auburn following the press conference.

Auburn avoided the worst loss in school history with a 27-20 overtime victory against Jacksonville State, an in-state FCS school, on Saturday.

Barber caught a nine-yard pass to keep a drive alive in overtime on third-and-9, and scored the go-ahead touchdown on a four-yard dive into the end zone. He averages 120 rushing yards per game, accounting for a third of the Tigers' offense. He also has two catches for 24 yards.

Auburn may play as many as four running backs at No. 13 LSU on Saturday. Roc Thomas and Kerryon Johnson played against Jacksonville State, but Jovon Robinson was held out due to what Malzahn has called an ankle injury. Thomas fumbled inside the 10-yard line on a potential game-tying drive late in the fourth quarter.

Yeah if you get beat out by Barber then clearly you suck....

Not too often do you see 5-star recruits giving way to 3-star recruits. Good for him though. He definitely deserves it.

Happened at Texas a&m and Oregon didn't it? I always said having a 5 star rating doesn't do anything but make people hate you. Even your own fan base

Happened at Texas a&m and Oregon didn't it? I always said having a 5 star rating doesn't do anything but make people hate you. Even your own fan base

. . . helps when they turn the ball over.

(cause that's when their stars fall to the ground)

I had just as soon see Thomas on the bench for the rest of the year....holding on the football is a must, because with Johnson throwing picks the way he does, we don't need any extra, non-quarterback turnovers.....if they continue doing this, I feel the same way about Johnson as I do Thomas....step up or sit down

I'm hoping that Roc lives up to his reputation and hate he has had two VERY visible turnovers in his short career. These are bound to shake the coach's confidence in him....which means we will probably lose some great runs and a much needed scoring punch.

I'm hoping that Roc lives up to his reputation and hate he has had two VERY visible turnovers in his short career. These are bound to shake the coach's confidence in him....which means we will probably lose some great runs and a much needed scoring punch.

I think the coaching staff realizes his value which is why they will give him more opportunities in the future.

I had just as soon see Thomas on the bench for the rest of the year....holding on the football is a must, because with Johnson throwing picks the way he does, we don't need any extra, non-quarterback turnovers.....if they continue doing this, I feel the same way about Johnson as I do Thomas....step up or sit down

Way too early.

Way too early.

Still a little time-out to consider the consequences could make him as hungry as Barber is right now. We'll never know but having sat behind CAP last year might have produced last weeks single effort game saver.

I think the coaching staff realizes his value which is why they will give him more opportunities in the future.

Hope that is the case....this kid has a lot of football ahead of him. The bama game fumble was bad because he did not realize the pitch was a lateral and thus did not go after it.....which really hurt AU. Last week he was trying to get some extra yardage ....and lost the ball....a lesson to be learned about those situations. Hope he is back out there soon...and in a position to catch the ball...seems to have WR hands.

FREE JOVON ROBINSON!!!!

Felt good to get that out.

And I'm happy for Barber.

I think the general thinking is that he'll be splitting the carries with Barber this weekend.

Of course, we don't know how healthy he is for certain.

That one fumble really tore you up huh?

i was wondering if there has been more fumbles i missed.

i was wondering if there has been more fumbles i missed.

Can't remember which game, but Roc had a crucial fumble late in a game last season.

Iron bowl roc fumble, if you want to call it a fumble, it was the first play of the game. Him not having the awareness to jump on it rubbed people the wrong way so now many make it like he has a fumbling problem

Roc has the talent but you cant rely on him, he had 2 fumbles last year on around 30-40 carries and one last week that easily should of cost us the game, I'm a huge roc fan you can see his big play ability. Barber has just been the more reliable back and right now thats what this offense needs.

Archived