How do Gus and Rhett teach their QBs?

thaitopher

I remember when Marshall was qb, there was a lot of speculation that he not only had a primary target, but rather a predetermined target before throwing the ball. I am wondering from people in the know. Do Gus and Rhett teach their QBs to only throw to only one receiver to make it simpler for them or do they teach progressions? I would assume they teach progressions, but I haven't seen evidence of that in the last 3 years.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure they don't teach him to throw to the other team, or into triple coverage. Pretty sure of that so I would say they are given progressions, check downs.

When NM threw the prayer in JH Gus and Rhett were upset for a moment because Sammie was wide open underneath.

I think you are referring to some of the zone read plays. Sometimes they would be called for him to run or hand off.

I find it fascinating that people have decided the issue is Gus and Rhett. If they are so horrible coaching QBs than how do you explain Chris Todd, Paul Smith, David Johnson, Cam Newton, and Ryan Aplin? Were they all so naturally talented that they just overcame bad coaching?

I find it fascinating that people have decided the issue is Gus and Rhett. If they are so horrible coaching QBs than how do you explain Chris Todd, Paul Smith, David Johnson, Cam Newton, and Ryan Aplin? Were they all so naturally talented that they just overcame bad coaching?

Other than Cam, you mention the others like they are a real who's who of a group. If it wasn't for Gus at Arky State, I would not know 3 of those names. I still don't know who David Johnson is.

They just suit up and go...lol...some coaches only saw Cam as a TE, Gus took his raw athletic ability and helped him become a legit college QB, national champion, and Heisman winner...give Gus his due....Jeremy's issue are nervousness - this stage so far has proven to be too big for him. Hopefully he can get it right this weekend....

Other than Cam, you mention the others like they are a real who's who of a group. If it wasn't for Gus at Arky State, I would not know 3 of those names. I still don't know who David Johnson is.

Who's fault is that?

David Johnson was Gus's QB his second year at Tulsa... 258 of 400 for 4059 yards and 46 touchdowns... QB rating of 178.7. Second most efficient QB in the nation in 2008. Conference USA offensive MVP.

As for the Who's Who comment...

Chris Todd - single season passing record at Auburn

Paul Smith - 2007 Conference USA player of the year

They ... They ... They...

Gus is a fine coach. It's Rhett that is a waist of space.

Who's fault is that?

David Johnson was Gus's QB his second year at Tulsa... 258 of 400 for 4059 yards and 46 touchdowns... QB rating of 178.7. Second most efficient QB in the nation in 2008. Conference USA offensive MVP.

As for the Who's Who comment...

Chris Todd - single season passing record at Auburn

Paul Smith - 2007 Conference USA player of the year

Well I guess that is a who's who group to a small degree with very few overlapping circles....

You seem to have forgotten to note the 5 INTs he threw in the title game that season, or was that some other QB no FBS team wanted, who played backup at Tulsa until his senior year and went on to not play ever in the NFL because he was considered "too erratic"?

Have any of you ever been on a stage as big as Jeremy is right now ? It played in a few team golf tournaments and I can to u all of a sudden that routine four foot par put brought sweat to my brow. JJ is as good as always just like the coaches and players have said . The only thing he has to do is realize that being the staring QB doesn't mean he has to win it all by hisself. Hopefully that happens this weekend then I hope those that have run their mouth man up and come back on these boards and admit their fault. WDE

You seem to have forgotten to note the 5 INTs he threw in the title game that season, or was that some other QB no FBS team wanted, who played backup at Tulsa until his senior year and went on to not play ever in the NFL because he was considered "too erratic"?

First, how many college QBs each year actually play in the NFL? Only 7% of all eligible players actually make a roster and QBs are a tiny portion of the eligible players.

Second if he's "too erratic" then the fact that Gus could coach those numbers out of him and make him the second most efficient QB in the nation in 2008 makes my point about Gus knowing how to coach QBs even better, so thanks for that.

First, how many college QBs each year actually play in the NFL? Only 7% of all eligible players actually make a roster and QBs are a tiny portion of the eligible players.

Second if he's "too erratic" then the fact that Gus could coach those numbers out of him and make him the second most efficient QB in the nation in 2008 makes my point about Gus knowing how to coach QBs even better, so thanks for that.

So... same guy then?

While you say Johnson proves Gus knows how to coach QBs, what it really proves he has been able to mold cornerbacks and unknown QBs to be effective in his offensive schemes - schemes that have been less dependent upon traditional QB skills.

I guess we'll see Saturday the results of how Gus and Rhett have spent the last 2 years preparing JJ for SEC, not C-USA, play. There you will find your proof.

Maybe Gus should consider making DC the QB coach (and OC for that matter). The QB's he coached at FSU turned out OK as college QBs.

wde

So far I haven't seen any QBs that were recruited by Gus do too well. Except the Mitch mustain kid for the year at arky (sp?). I guess we will see what Gus pulls out of his hat Saturday.

Maybe Gus should consider making DC the QB coach (and OC for that matter). The QB's he coached at FSU turned out OK as college QBs.

wde

Yep. DC would have been the smart choice on day 1. Not too late to do the right thing and make that happen.

So far I haven't seen any QBs that were recruited by Gus do too well. Except the Mitch mustain kid for the year at arky (sp?). I guess we will see what Gus pulls out of his hat Saturday.

Cam and Nick Marshall did good to great. The problem is that they were both JC transfers and Cam was only at AU one year. JJ and KF are/were two highly rated QBs recruited by Gus.

wde

Gus recruited Cam... If it weren't for Gus, Chizik would have passed on him.

Recruiting is different from coaching.

wde

While you say Johnson proves Gus knows how to coach QBs, what it really proves he has been able to mold cornerbacks and unknown QBs to be effective in his offensive schemes - schemes that have been less dependent upon traditional QB skills.

Molding a player to be effective in an offensive scheme is the definition of good coaching. Also, go watch some Tulsa film from 2007-2008. They were pro-style QBs, not zone-read like we've had at Auburn, so they completely depended on traditional QB skills. You don't get 4000+ yards in the air running the ball, after all.

For a "realist" you need to get a better grip on reality.

Nope. Luper did. They took him at Lupers request.

Whatever Gus and Rhett their doing with Jeremy just isn't working.

Yet!

Archived