How do Gus and Rhett teach their QBs?

thaitopher

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW Auburn has the wrong coaches in the wrong jobs. Everyone's an expert head coach now.

I don't know about wrong coaches in the wrong jobs as much as would one coach be more effective than another in the same role. I don't think anyone is claiming to be an expert nor does it take an expert to see what Craig has accomplished as a player and coach at the QB position and wonder if he could be more effective coaching the QBs.

WOW Auburn has the wrong coaches in the wrong jobs. Everyone's an expert head coach now.

It amazes me how many here really do believe that football coaches are above reproach. They're football coaches not nuclear physicists.

It amazes me how many here really do believe that football coaches are above reproach. They're football coaches not nuclear physicists.

HEY! IN GUS I TRUST! NO MATTER WHAT

haha just a joke. I seriously want Gus at AU for a long time as he grows and matures as a coach. I really think he can get it done.

Can we not respect the fact that Gus has been in the College game for 7 seven years...

I thought the OT Wisconsin situation taught us all that he needs to learn a couple things and that means mistakes. Mistakes I'm going to be patient with considering the successes this guy has brought so far...

My two cents

Some of yall need to calm down. Really

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Some of yall need to calm down. Really

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Yeah but matters are much worst here. Our QB just threw a two interception game. Get with the program.

Dude, Not a coaching problem. it's a mental problem in JJ's head. We all already know JJ can be a great QB, we have seen it out of him the last 2 years as a back up. The coaches can't do anything about whats going on in JJ's mind in the heat of the moment except hope JJ breaks through what ever block he has placed in his mind. Once JJ works through it, if he works through it, JJ will be what we expected out of him.

That is all.

I disagree. Good coaches integrate sports psychology into their programs. If we can have a team chaplain, we can have a sports psychologist.

Dude, Not a coaching problem. it's a mental problem in JJ's head. We all already know JJ can be a great QB, we have seen it out of him the last 2 years as a back up. The coaches can't do anything about whats going on in JJ's mind in the heat of the moment except hope JJ breaks through what ever block he has placed in his mind. Once JJ works through it, if he works through it, JJ will be what we expected out of him.

That is all.

I disagree. Good coaches integrate sports psychology into their programs. If we can have a team chaplain, we can have a sports psychologist.

While true, I feel as if only playing experience will actually teach him how to read linebackers

Gus has a fine track record with QBs, that being said if he says that JJ will be fine its probably true. He has more invested in this team than anyone here.

That being said if some people were in charge we'd go through 8 head coaches and 27 QBs in 10 years.

I would agree with you that he has a fine track record with QB's, but I think what others are asking is how he develops QB's that he has worked with over the course of several years. Nick Marshall was the 1st two year starter he's ever had. I think what other posters are wondering about is Gus' recruitment and development of QB's and unfortunately we don't have a large sample size to look at. Don't get me wrong, I have faith in Gus as much as anyone and that's why Jeremy's performance thus far has been such a shock to me.

I can understand that some people are disappointed in the QB play so far. I'm sure everyone was curious to see how the first 2 year Malzahn QB was going to play. After 2 games there is a lot of room for improvement.

However, as far as development goes, let's look at recent history to find QBs who were "elitely developed" in college.

Here is a subjective list of elite QBs in the NFL. Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rogers, Luck, Wilson, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Flacco, E. Manning.

I'll leave off Newton because I really don't want to get into whether he was "Gus's QB" or not.

So there is a list of 10 give or take a few. What do they have in common?

Very intelligent

Strong measurables (6'5, large hands)

Experience

Here's what they don't have in common.

Their college coaches

Oregon was notoriously weak at producing NFL QBs.

Then along came Mariota and he seems to have overcome

this quite fantastically.

On the other hand, the closest Urban Meyer has come to

developing an NFL ready QB was Tim Tebow. TIM. TEBOW.

Yet you don't hear Ohio State fans complaining.

Also, DC is a good coach but so far his QBs (Ponder, Manuel, Winston) have not panned

out in the NFL either.

In summary, College QB development doesn't really seem to

factor much if at all into pro careers. either a QB has IT or he

doesn't. So far JJ doesn't have IT, but that can still change.

If you want a QB developer, beg Jacobs to bring back Loeffler.

He did invent Tom Brady after all.

I think most on here would say they don't care about NFL success stories, they just want a QB that can produce at a high level within the system that Gus has recruited him for.

Tim Tebow was the unquestioned leader of his team, would single handedly take over and win games, set all kinds of SEC records, was a part of two national championships, and won the Heisman. He excelled in the system Myer recruited him for and if we get that kind of production out of a QB I would be okay with it, even if he didn't excel at the next level. LOL

Myer has just entered his 4th season at Ohio State with talent at the QB position that most schools only dream of having. Any one of the 3 he has could start at most, if not every school in the country. He is definitely showing an ability to recruit players for his system and have them perform at a high level.

This^. To downgrade Urban as a QB coach because Tebow didn't make it as a pro, completely misses the point.

That is all.

While true, I feel as if only playing experience will actually teach him how to read linebackers

Oh, I agree. Reps are primary, no matter what therapy or mental training is added to the mix.

I've been critical, but I have every hope - if not quite expectation - that JJ breaks through. We all hope that.

My biggest problem is the quality of these int., if that makes any sense. Think of how many true freshman QBs we have seen over the last couple of years that just flat out played like veterans. Whatever nervousness they had quickly faded away. They played with confidence.

JJ just looks ill-prepared to me. At least that's what I hope, as that can be overcome.

But it's awful when you're best hope is to have bad coaching.

"I've been to practices in the past, and have seen Nick Marshall ask DC for pointers."

You call this concrete evidence of Lashlee's incompetence?

Sounds like you're taking this very personally.

I do take it personally because I like to watch this team play. Win or lose. We aren't paying our coach Nick Saban money or Jim Harbaugh money. Say what you want about proven commodities. You get what you pay for. Malzahn is paid an average SEC salary. He makes less than Sumlin and has accomplished more. So why you guys expect this team to not have off years like this is beyond me. If Malzahn made 10 mil a year I would expect an SEC title every year. Otherwise y'all need to accept this isn't our year and enjoy the games we do win.

LOL. Gus' salary is fair based on his first two seasons as HC (1 very good year that exceeded expectations followed by a year that failed to meet expectations. Should we not win at least 9 regular season games this season with a win over spuat or uga included in those 9 wins then Gus needs to give part of his salary back to AU.

wde

OK, lets get back on track and address the coaching issue and not how much they make; but how well they coach.

Ok, lets do that. Thus far; at the same time in their respective time as HCs of the AU football team, Gus has done less than Gene Chizik.

wde

Good one. I guess this would be an inconvenient time to point out that as a head coach Chizik was 30-10 with Malzahn on staff and 8-28 without him.

It could be that Gus is a much better OC than HC. I think we will know when this season is over.

wde

Not an uncommon situation......can think of lots of Coordinators who did not make it as HC.....and most returned to their roles as Coordinator. Hope that's not the case here because if would be an expensive problem to solve....but I would not be amazed if that turned out to be the case.

I think Gus has been a great head coach and have no reason to think he won't continue to be.

"I've been to practices in the past, and have seen Nick Marshall ask DC for pointers."

I do take it personally because I like to watch this team play. Win or lose. We aren't paying our coach Nick Saban money or Jim Harbaugh money. Say what you want about proven commodities. You get what you pay for. Malzahn is paid an average SEC salary. He makes less than Sumlin and has accomplished more. So why you guys expect this team to not have off years like this is beyond me. If Malzahn made 10 mil a year I would expect an SEC title every year. Otherwise y'all need to accept this isn't our year and enjoy the games we do win.

LOL. Gus' salary is fair based on his first two seasons as HC (1 very good year that exceeded expectations followed by a year that failed to meet expectations. Should we not win at least 9 regular season games this season with a win over spuat or uga included in those 9 wins then Gus needs to give part of his salary back to AU.

wde

OK, lets get back on track and address the coaching issue and not how much they make; but how well they coach.

Ok, lets do that. Thus far; at the same time in their respective time as HCs of the AU football team, Gus has done less than Gene Chizik.

wde

Good one. I guess this would be an inconvenient time to point out that as a head coach Chizik was 30-10 with Malzahn on staff and 8-28 without him.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Well, actually it does imply a relationship, it just doesn't prove it.

wde

wde

Correlation does not imply causation.

Well, actually it does imply a relationship, it just doesn't prove it.

You're right. I stand corrected. The implication is there but it does not offer proof.

Ultimately, the point that I was making earlier is that you would be hard pressed to find a college head coach with more than one success story at QB.

If you want to go by "good COLLEGE Quarterbacks" Gus has about as many success stories as anyone.

I believe in DC as a coach, but so far the QBs he has coached have not panned out in the league. That's not a mark against him. It just means he's human. Kinda like Lashlee.

I find it fascinating that people have decided the issue is Gus and Rhett. If they are so horrible coaching QBs than how do you explain Chris Todd, Paul Smith, David Johnson, Cam Newton, and Ryan Aplin? Were they all so naturally talented that they just overcame bad coaching?

Other than Cam, you mention the others like they are a real who's who of a group. If it wasn't for Gus at Arky State, I would not know 3 of those names. I still don't know who David Johnson is.

Who's fault is that?

David Johnson was Gus's QB his second year at Tulsa... 258 of 400 for 4059 yards and 46 touchdowns... QB rating of 178.7. Second most efficient QB in the nation in 2008. Conference USA offensive MVP.

As for the Who's Who comment...

Chris Todd - single season passing record at Auburn

Paul Smith - 2007 Conference USA player of the year

. Yeah, but.........Jacksonville!!!!!! Sarcasm font just isn't working.....

So you think Lashlee is a better (or as good of) QB coach, and developer of talent than Dameyune Craig???

I don't know.

Maybe Gus has known Lashlee longer so they have better chemistry.

Maybe Lashlee has more experience in Gus's offense, making him more accessible for the QBs.

Maybe Craig wanted to branch out and coach a different position in order to bolster his resume.

Maybe this is how Gus set up his offensive staff initially and doesn't think there's a good enough reason to change it yet.

Maybe Gus feels that the fallout of a staff shuffle would outweigh the benefits.

Maybe Gus is thinking... it's only 2 games... and we're 2-0.

Maybe Gus thinks JJs problems are not Lashlee's fault.

Maybe Gus really thinks Rhett knows more about QBs than Craig.

Maybe Gus acknowledges Craigs QB experience so he lets the QBs split time between the two of them.

Maybe he's waiting for Lashlee to get a Head Coaching gig to promote Craig to OC now that Craig is familiar with his offense.

Do you have any inside info other than "Sometimes DC and NM would have conversations at practice"?

Yeah but.....LOUD NOISES!!!!!! Sorry. :) I really am afraid that the negative people are at least partially correct in some way. I just know some teams seem to have what it takes, togetherness, chemistry, leadership, whatever you want to call it. I just hope this one gets "it", because they haven't had " it" yet as far as I can tell.

Does anyone remember the issue of cgm not letting his qb's work with other/outside quarterback coaches? Many thought it was odd at the time. Here's a link as a refresher.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1979308-gus-malzahn-making-mistake-not-letting-nick-marshall-work-with-george-whitfield

Archived