How do Gus and Rhett teach their QBs?

thaitopher

QBs are given a progression on the play side and then a tag on the backside, like a post route. Some plays rely on the defender. If the corner sits, throw over his head to the corner route. If he bails, through the underneath hitch or stop route. Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route. QBs are often taught on the quick stuff, to make the throw with the softest corner an the shortest throw. Most QBs get away with throwing in to tight windows in HS simply because of their arm strength and facing lesser talent. Hard habit to break! Some simply get it in their head when they break the huddle and will throw it to the guy that catches it the most consistent.

In most Os yes. Not sure AU's simplistic pass game works that way.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know the answer to this post now that more has come out since DC left.

Nothing has changed. Gus coaches the QBs & when he is looking at other parts of the O Rhett carries out Gus's orders.

QBs are given a progression on the play side and then a tag on the backside, like a post route. Some plays rely on the defender. If the corner sits, throw over his head to the corner route. If he bails, through the underneath hitch or stop route. Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route. QBs are often taught on the quick stuff, to make the throw with the softest corner an the shortest throw. Most QBs get away with throwing in to tight windows in HS simply because of their arm strength and facing lesser talent. Hard habit to break! Some simply get it in their head when they break the huddle and will throw it to the guy that catches it the most consistent.

This is quarterbacking 101. As simple as it gets. Like 7th grade.

Not the WR adjustments & reads Grad posted about.

Definitely those reads. As simple as they get E. Literally straight out of my 7th grade playbook. And we were running a very simple offense. Maybe 4-5 pass plays.

Definitely those reads. As simple as they get E. Literally straight out of my 7th grade playbook. And we were running a very simple offense. Maybe 4-5 pass plays.

Well different places are different. Yours is advanced in some ways. I was a 9th grade WR coach and we did not do WR adjusted routes. Their routes were always predetermined unless the QB had to scramble.

More to the point of the discussion I have not seen nor heard of much WR adjusting routes in Gus's O on designed pass plays.

Well different places are different. Yours is advanced in some ways. I was a 9th grade WR coach and we did not do WR adjusted routes. Their routes were always predetermined unless the QB had to scramble.

More to the point of the discussion I have not seen nor heard of much WR adjusting routes in Gus's O on designed pass plays.

Right. Except he wasn't talking about receiver adjusted routes. We did not run receiver adjusted routes in middle school. That did not happen until probably varsity football for us. What he was talking about was making decisions as a quarterback, as this is a quarterback discussion, based upon the actions of a defender. for instance, he mentioned throwing a corner route if the cornerback sits, and throwing a hitch if the cornervack drops back in the coverage. He also mentioned peaking to a deep route before checking down to a drop off. Those are very, very basic reads.

I'm to new on here to start a thread but is anyone concerned that John Franklin is way to small to play option QB in the SEC. He has been playing college football for 3 years and is only 185 ibs. I don't see how he would last the season. Scouts said the same thing about Sean White. He is too small to play an entire season and not get hurt. Does his small size concern anyone else?

I'm to new on here to start a threat but is anyone concern that John Franklin is way to small to play option QB in the SEC. He has been playing college football for 3 years and is only 185 ibs. I don't see how he would last the season. Scouts said the same thing about Sean White. He is too small to play an entire season and not get hurt. Does his small size concern anyone else?

I think it concerns and a lot of people, including the coaches. Since arriving at Auburn, they have been trying to add weight to his frame.

I'm to new on here to start a threat but is anyone concern that John Franklin is way to small to play option QB in the SEC. He has been playing college football for 3 years and is only 185 ibs. I don't see how he would last the season. Scouts said the same thing about Sean White. He is too small to play an entire season and not get hurt. Does his small size concern anyone else?

I think it concerns and a lot of people, including the coaches. Since arriving at Auburn, they have been trying to add weight to his frame.

Any success?

Any success?

There are others here he would be able to tell you that. The last that I read on this forum was that he was up to 185 pounds.

I simply raised a question... Didn't realize we were playing the "what if game". The FACT remains that fundamentally sound players are going to be more successful at the next level, thus providing our coaches with more recruiting ammunition.

The "what if game" was directed at all the assumptions made in this entire thread. The point or intent of this thread would not have been made if Jeremy Johnson was not struggling. Some will assume or suggest the reason why Johnson is struggling is because of "coaching". It could be but I have no way of knowing. I have my opinions but I rarely toss opinions out on a public forum unless I'm certain of what I am posting. We all know Johnson has struggled but there are other aspects of the offense that have issues. I prefer to wait to see the end product before I start making assumptions that something is critically wrong. NOT SAYING THAT I AM RIGHT, but from MY own past experience, it is never good to label anything or anyone this early into the season.

Thanks Stat !!

Right. Except he wasn't talking about receiver adjusted routes. We did not run receiver adjusted routes in middle school. That did not happen until probably varsity football for us. What he was talking about was making decisions as a quarterback, as this is a quarterback discussion, based upon the actions of a defender. for instance, he mentioned throwing a corner route if the cornerback sits, and throwing a hitch if the cornervack drops back in the coverage. He also mentioned peaking to a deep route before checking down to a drop off. Those are very, very basic reads.

Hmmm. I could easily be wrong but I took this a WRs making adjustments the way he worded it.

Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route.

I'm to new on here to start a thread but is anyone concerned that John Franklin is way to small to play option QB in the SEC. He has been playing college football for 3 years and is only 185 ibs. I don't see how he would last the season. Scouts said the same thing about Sean White. He is too small to play an entire season and not get hurt. Does his small size concern anyone else?

I'm honestly not as worried about JF3 getting hurt as Sean getting hurt again. JF3 is much stronger in his legs than Sean & I think that will make it tougher for him to be hurt than Sean IMO.

Hmmm. I could easily be wrong but I took this a WRs making adjustments the way he worded it.

Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route.

Don't get me wrong, I could have read it wrong too. But, since he was talking about QBs, and QB progressions in a thread about QBs, I assumed he was talking about QBs. Also if you know of an option route that dictates that a WR have the ability to run a go, an intermediate route or some form of a check down, that would be new to me. Sounds like a Quarterbacks' progression to me.

Don't get me wrong, I could have read it wrong too. But, since he was talking about QBs, and QB progressions in a thread about QBs, I assumed he was talking about QBs. Also if you know of an option route that dictates that a WR have the ability to run a go, an intermediate route or some form of a check down, that would be new to me. Sounds like a Quarterbacks' progression to me.

Like I said, the way it was worded sounded like he was talking about WR progression too. My mistake.

Like I said, the way it was worded sounded like he was talking about WR progression too. My mistake.

Sorry, I probably went overboard on trying to prove my point.

I agree with you in that as far as I know (not much) Gus doesn't implement option routes into his offense.

Archived