• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear a lot of talk about Ole Miss winning this game and maybe it's just me being skeptical because well it's Ole Miss but I just don't think it will be very close. I like Auburn06's score prediction above.

I think Ole Miss has a shot in this one. I've heard UAT will shut down the run and make OP one dimensional. Not really sure that will work in UAT's favor here. I also think OP's defense has a good chance to put a big dent in UAT's ground game.

I hear a lot of talk about Ole Miss winning this game and maybe it's just me being skeptical because well it's Ole Miss but I just don't think it will be very close. I like Auburn06's score prediction above.

Exactly what people said last year.

However, its also what people said in 2013, and they were right.

Ole Miss is a better team than they were in 2013, and they might be a better team than they were last year. Their defensive line is excellent, backed up by a group of undersized, but athletic linebackers who move extremely well. The secondary is full of playmakers, although Tee Shepherd will miss the first half due to a targeting penalty in the Fresno State game. More than likely, Alabama is going to run right at the Ole Miss defense. As good of a tackling defense that Ole Miss is, they are going to need to put a lot of bodies on Henry, due to his sheer size and strength. My expectation is that Alabama will consistently run Henry on first and second down, and supplement their play calling with play action because inevitably Ole Miss' safety's are going to have to come down in run support. Ole Miss' defensive line is going to have to play absolutely lights out in order to get Coker into obvious passing situations, where Ole Miss can pressure and use their athleticism in the back half of the defense to make plays. If Alabama has success running the ball early in the game, its probably going to be a long night for the Rebels.

Conversely, for Ole Miss' offense, it looks as though Tunsil will not play Saturday night, pending further NCAA investigation. Not having Tunsil will hurt them, but maybe not as much as some might think. They've played their first two games without him, giving the current offensive line time to gel. Second, Ole Miss' strategy, I'm sure will be to throw the ball in every which way they can. They will throw to run, so to speak, which has kind of always been Ole Miss' calling card. Getting Alabama's front seven to run horizontally early and often will hopefully open up some passing lanes for Kelly, and for the running game. Ole Miss does have a big advantage, as they will in every game they play this year, in their receiving corps. Treadwell, Core, Adeboyejo, Stringfellow, Pack and Ingram are all big, rangy receivers who can both block, and go get the football. The WR screen game is more than likely going to be an essential part of Freeze's game plan, and I think Ole Miss' offensive success will hinge on it. By keeping the defensive backs honest, and forcing the defensive line to be involved, it should give Ole Miss' some chances for Kelly to go downfield with the ball, and hopefully open up room for some crucial running yards when needed. Also, expect to see Robert Nkemdiche involved in the offense in some way. I 100% expect him to touch the ball at least once during short yardage situations (he can catch too).

In summary, Ole Miss' defensive line will need to play lights out to give Ole Miss a chance in this game. On offense, Ole Miss' receivers will be key both in their blocking, and play-making ability. I haven't mentioned Kelly, but I honestly expect him to play well. The guy is a gamer, he's savvy, and he's confident. He'll need that playing in Bryant Denny at 8:15.

This will be a tight game until late in the 4th quarter. Alabama will have a chance to put it away late, and I expect that they will.

Alabama - 31

Ole Miss - 24

Pretty surprised LSU - Auburn was selected for CBS and not this one. Somebody dropped the ball.

No one did, I promise. The Alabama game is on primetime. Its a much bigger time slot than the 2:30.

Pretty surprised LSU - Auburn was selected for CBS and not this one. Somebody dropped the ball.

No one did, I promise. The Alabama game is on primetime. Its a much bigger time slot than the 2:30.

IIRC, CBS gets first dibs on the game of the week. They chose LSU-Auburn over Alabama-Ole Miss.

IIRC, CBS gets first dibs on the game of the week. They chose LSU-Auburn over Alabama-Ole Miss.

If that's the case, then I was wrong. But, that 8:15 ESPN slot has to get a bigger pull than CBS at 2:30, I would think.

Not sure they choose that far ahead, (before the season) but it was most certainly picked before we needed late heroics to beat an FCS team and subsequently dropped 12 spots. It was a smarter choice before that happened.

Article from May of this year....http://blogs.theadvocate.com/tigertracks/in-the-daylight-auburn-lsu-set-for-230-p-m-kickoff-on-cbs/

Im sure CBS is regretting it now and probably would have picked the bama-Ole Miss game if they had made the pick this week.

Ole Miss definitely has a shot. Freeze better have a good game plan offensively. I will say this, Kelly is going to play well. Mark my words. That kid is a gamer.

I still think Bama wins it late, but I'll be pulling hard for the Rebs.

I think Ole Miss wins. Even though Bo Wallace pulled it off last year...he'd still be a big liability. Ole Miss wins again this year. Funny how no one ever respects the Miss teams but they way ahead of Auburn right now. Maybe not MSU but Ole Miss future looks pretty bright.

Archived