First play versus LSU

AUTigers910

I bet Gus dials up a PA deep post play with RL to gain confidence in JJ and set up the run game.

The problem I have with this is what happens when the safeties aren't fooled, JJ throws the deep ball, and (worst case scenario) gets picked off? Talk about destroying someone's confidence.

JJ6 is likely to bust out this move ...

zonereadkeeperlsu1.gif

:big:

What's funny about that play is that, while it is a very athletic play by Marshall, by all accounts he should have handed the ball off.

The play was designed such that it forced the defender to make a choice about who to defend: the running back or the quarterback. If you watch, the DE doesn't take the RB, he takes the QB, which left CAP with an open hole to the end zone (right where Marshall ended up running). Marshall keeping it should have resulted in a busted play, but his sheer athleticism combined with good blocks by Davis and Ray allowed him to turn it into a TD.

He might've been told to keep it regardless. But often times he was athletic enough to make up for a poor read. He made the LB look silly with his football version of the crossover. But also it doesn't look like CAP had much room if he gave it to him, and I think on that play, if CAP has the ball, the hole should be on the right not on the left where NM went. Either way, that was a great play by NM to make the initial defender miss and get in the endzone.

Boy, I never thought I'd be wishing to have NM back at QB while JJ was on the roster. Hopefully JJ plays like he is capable of starting this wknd.

I bet Gus dials up a PA deep post play with RL to gain confidence in JJ and set up the run game.

The problem I have with this is what happens when the safeties aren't fooled, JJ throws the deep ball, and (worst case scenario) gets picked off? Talk about destroying someone's confidence.

Theoretically, if the safeties aren't fooled he shouldn't throw the ball. But we know how that's gone in the past 2 weeks...

Theoretically, if the safeties aren't fooled he shouldn't throw the ball. But we know how that's gone in the past 2 weeks...

From what I saw, JJ's bad decisions came in situations he was trying to do too much. If the safeties are back that's accomplishing the main goal to establish the run. I just hope JJ makes the right play...

It's to the point that I hold my breath every time we drop back. I hope JJ eases my nerves this weekend! I think he can do it, he just needs to relax. Maybe put him in a position to get hit early and realize "I'M OK" to put his mind at ease.

It's to the point that I hold my breath every time we drop back. I hope JJ eases my nerves this weekend! I think he can do it, he just needs to relax. Maybe put him in a position to get hit early and realize "I'M OK" to put his mind at ease.

I was thinking about that on my drive home yesterday. "How many consecutive good passes from JJ would it take to make me not crawl through the back of my couch as soon as he cocks his arm?" I hope I get to find out. I never really did with Marshall, but at least his tended to sail over the defenders, too.

I was thinking about that on my drive home yesterday. "How many consecutive good passes from JJ would it take to make me not crawl through the back of my couch as soon as he cocks his arm?" I hope I get to find out. I never really did with Marshall, but at least his tended to sail over the defenders, too.

Haha yup! At least NM's great running ability helped offset his deficiencies in the pass game.

Haha yup! At least NM's great running ability helped offset his deficiencies in the pass game.

Agreed. I'll never call Marshall a great passer, but I'll take every opportunity to call him one of my favorite Auburn QBs.

Meant to also say that I agree with you about letting JJ absorb some contact to settle him down. That's one of those things that I find counterintuitive, but have heard said enough times by former QBs say that I believe it.

For a young team in a high pressure game....something safe and reliable....let the guys feel the contact and get rid of the butterflies.

I think that was the plan last year against bama when AU's first play was a little pitch to Roc....who fumbled the ball, did not chase it down and bama recovered. A "safe" play that backfired.....but safe plays are still a good idea IMO.

If we win the coin toss do we take the ball first or play D first? I was surprised that we opted to kick first in the UL game.

I agree, not the first play. But the LSU Safeties are pretty aggressive in run support. An early play action (with good fakes) may hold them long enough for Ricardo to blow by them.

First play:

Confidence building pass for JJ like a bubble screen or wheel route

-or-

Barber up the middle on a designed "read" where he bumps into the lineman and then is dragged down to the ground for a gain of 3 yards.

If we win the coin toss do we take the ball first or play D first? I was surprised that we opted to kick first in the UL game.

We didn't opt to kick first. Had we done that, we would have kicked off to start both halfs. We DEFERRED.

Archived