Leonard Fournette

Barnacle

And that person will lose just like Clarett did. The NFL is on excellent legal footing.

And I guess the NFLPA is pretty solid too....any legal battle would have to challenge both of them wouldn't it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way. There's already a federal court ruling affirming the limit. Plus, the last guy that challenged it didn't exactly have a great go of it from that point forward. We'll see Fournette again next year.

That was a little different circumstance. Somebody is going to challenge it one day and be successful. Frankly, I think he should be able to go pro if he wants.

As noted, this involves a labor agreement and courts don't like to get involved with that kind of thing where two parties have come to an agreement they are happy with. The NFL is a union shop and the players union sets rules about their "membership".

And guess the other thing is...who is going to finance a law suit against a billion dollar business enterprise?

Yeah, no one's taking on that expensive ass challenge. Who has the money to go through labor agreements and the federal court system?

Odds are, if the rule ever changes it won't be because a player challenges the system, but because a player comes along who is so phenomenal that a team or teams decide that they want him now, rather than risking injury in college, and they challenge the rule themselves. I could totally see that happening if Cam was Cam as a freshman, but I don't see it happening for a great running back unless one comes along who is borderline unstoppable.

I agree with lionheartkc. The proof is in the last few drafts. There has been only 1 RB taken in the last several drafts in the first round. RB is now believed to be a position that can be drafted later to save money because they are not in the league very long. While I agree that Fournette is special and I wish him the best in the NFL. There is no way he is playing in the NFL next year. Maybe one day there will be a QB or DE that is so dominant as a FR that an NFL team tries to reduce the wait, but even that is very very unlikely in my opinion.

Did the fact that Fournette has braces make it sadder for anyone else to watch him run all over our defense?

Nah but the way he was so polite and humble afterwards did...I felt he would've helped our guys up and told them they were winners because they tried hard, if he was allowed

Haven't been following this thread. Just saw this. Freaking hilarious.

It's possible that the NFL or the NFLPA could change the rule. That's true. I don't think the NFLPA is properly motivated to do that (because it creates extra cost-controlled players for a limited number of jobs) so they're unlikely to stick up for college Sophomores to their own detriment. The NFL could have a change of heart, but it seems like sports are going the opposite direction. The NBA copied the NFL model and collectively bargained for the 19 year-old draft entry restriction, and Adam Silver has stated publicly that the league would like to move the draft-eligible age up to 20. I could definitely be wrong, but I just don't see the age for draft eligibility for any sport coming down any time soon.

Herschel Walker has publicly claimed that Fournette is a better RB that he was. I will allow it. Bo jackson, hush your damn mouth.

I'm confused... Didn't Johnny Manziel go after his sophomore year? I didn't think he redshirted.... Oh and famous Jameis too?

both redshirts...

Many are saying that LF needs to just sit out next season, get into a high profile training facility and wait for the draft. Not a bad idea really.

People said the same thing about Clowney.

Many are saying that LF needs to just sit out next season, get into a high profile training facility and wait for the draft. Not a bad idea really.

People said the same thing about Clowney.

And he should have listened. Although RB has a shorter shelf life.

They were talking about it on Mike and Mike this morning and I thought to myself that letting him leave early sounded like a great idea!

They were talking about it on Mike and Mike this morning and I thought to myself that letting him leave early sounded like a great idea!

Sounds good I guess but "letting him leave"....JMO but it's not LSU or NCAA that determines this. He can leave any time he wants...it's just that the NFLPA will not accept his membership and the NFL is a union shop....so he can't play unless he is a member of the player's union.

I think it's been noted a couple times....the NFLPA has no interest and sees no advantage in allowing younger players to join and play in the league. If he were to make a team, it would probably be at the expense of one of their current members.

Skip Bayless gave a passionate argument on why LF should be able to leave for the NFL by defending Adrian Peterson's comment that he could have played in the NFL right out of high school. Since the RB shelf life is short, maybe it is extremely unfair for the NFL to make college RB's take beatings for three years before they start making a check.

I think any Heisman winner should be able to declare for the draft even if he is a freshman or sophomore. LF would obviously be the first pick if and when he declares. I would hate to see him be forced to play another season and risk injury.

I think any Heisman winner should be able to declare for the draft even if he is a freshman or sophomore. LF would obviously be the first pick if and when he declares. I would hate to see him be forced to play another season and risk injury.

Most likely not....read this http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/75312442/nfl-draft-college-football-running-back-value-todd-gurley-melvin-gordon-mike-davis

RBs are "disposable" and because of their (RBs) short career, teams are more likely to take players who have a longer useful life.

Sounds good I guess but "letting him leave"....JMO but it's not LSU or NCAA that determines this. He can leave any time he wants...it's just that the NFLPA will not accept his membership and the NFL is a union shop....so he can't play unless he is a member of the player's union.

I think it's been noted a couple times....the NFLPA has no interest and sees no advantage in allowing younger players to join and play in the league. If he were to make a team, it would probably be at the expense of one of their current members.

I just meant it would be nice not to have to play him again. Wasn't commenting on the pros and cons of changing the system.

I just meant it would be nice not to have to play him again. Wasn't commenting on the pros and cons of changing the system.

That is definitely true...expect it would be easy to get a "Free Fournette" petition going in the SEC west...most coaches would sign it pretty quickly.

Archived