What about Jonathan Wallace?

KcPg14

This may be a stupid idea...but I'm not quite sure what would work at this point so they might as well give it a try.

What if Johnathan Wallace played as QB? We could completely go back to the zone-read play-action offense exactly like 2013 with Nick Marshall. If Blake Sims can play the position, so can Jonathan Wallace. It seems like Gus is going away from his offensive philosophy and not calling zone reads or play action passes. And when he does, the defense already knows whats up.

Just an interesting suggestion, I think. There needs to be a spark somewhere. And if all we can do is run the ball with 4 running backs, and an athletic QB, then so be it.

Right now, nothing else is working.

*On a side note from the game today...We have a great punter and Kerryon has a bright future.

I completely agree with the idea of having J Wall out there. This offense needs a grown man leading them. Not a kid. Wallace is calm and collected and has the ability to run. Why not try it?

This may be a stupid idea...but I'm not quite sure what would work at this point so they might as well give it a try.

What if JWall played as QB? We could completely go back to the zone-read play-action offense exactly like 2013 with Nick Marshall. If Blake Sims can play the position, so can Jonathan Wallace. It seems like Gus is going away from his offensive philosophy and not calling zone reads or play action passes. And when he does, the defense already knows whats up.

Just an interesting suggestion, I think. There needs to be a spark somewhere. And if all we can do is run the ball with 4 running backs, and an athletic QB, then so be it.

*On a side note from the game today...We have a great punter and Kerryon has a bright future.

Zone read is not Gus' offensive philosophy, hurry-up no huddle is. He wrote a book about it. He did not write a book about zone read, or dual-threat QB's. While our junior QB is certainly not getting the job done, what makes you think a senior that has spent his career at 3rd string really the answer? 3rd string to Kiehl Frazier and Clint Mosely in 2012, then bested by a JUCO transfer Nick Marshall and freshman Jeremy Johnson in 2013 and 2014. Gus went JUCO when he got here for a reason.

As for the punter and KJ, you are correct.

If all else fails i mean... we can't have someone back there throwing 2 picks a game and fumbling the ball. If it gets the run game going then why not try it. At least give him some snaps a QB even if he isn't starting. He's a huge leader on the team as well and is very composed. He was the only bright spot of the 2012 season.

What if JWall played as QB? We could completely go back to the zone-read play-action offense exactly like 2013 with Nick Marshall. If Blake Sims can play the position, so can Jonathan Wallace. It seems like Gus is going away from his offensive philosophy and not calling zone reads or play action passes. And when he does, the defense already knows whats up.

Zone read is not Gus' offensive philosophy, hurry-up no huddle is. He wrote a book about it. He did not write a book about zone read, or dual-threat QB's. While our junior QB is certainly not getting the job done, what makes you think a senior that has spent his career at 3rd string really the answer? 3rd string to Kiehl Frazier and Clint Mosely in 2012, then bested by a JUCO transfer Nick Marshall and freshman Jeremy Johnson in 2013 and 2014. Gus went JUCO when he got here for a reason.

You're right, his philosophy is the HUNH. But time and time again he refers to his offense as a zone read play action offense. Every base play comes out of the same formation. I'm not saying that is the answer right now, because no, JWall is not a guy that could just jump in and play QB. But I'm saying that as an offensive HC/OC that has NEVER EVER had this much struggle, there needs to be a change. Jwall is a great athlete and a leader... much like Kodi Burns. He needs to be on the field more in a bigger role, that's all I'm saying. And if it got to the point that the QB play was that poor, then try him at wildcat and run the zone read with him in as QB. That's all I'm saying. I've been more than confident in JJ over the past 3 games and still believe he can turn things around. But at this point it's not about waiting on JJ anymore. If Auburn's offense can't produce and can't even freakin run the ball, then there is not success this season. Running the ball is our MO. I do believe Gus is a great coach. And he will get them to perform better. But as a coach you have to look for answers. You have to win games. And if you get beat by Miss St. on your home turf that was voted to finish dead last in the West this season, then Gus will have some serious problems to face. That's all I'm saying. But really... if it came down to it... it's not an awful idea to try to get a spark in the run game.

You're right, his philosophy is the HUNH. But time and time again he refers to his offense as a zone read play action offense. Every base play comes out of the same formation. I'm not saying that is the answer right now, because no, JWall is not a guy that could just jump in and play QB. But I'm saying that as an offensive HC/OC that has NEVER EVER had this much struggle, there needs to be a change. Jwall is a great athlete and a leader... much like Kodi Burns. He needs to be on the field more in a bigger role, that's all I'm saying. And if it got to the point that the QB play was that poor, then try him at wildcat and run the zone read with him in as QB. That's all I'm saying. I've been more than confident in JJ over the past 3 games and still believe he can turn things around. But at this point it's not about waiting on JJ anymore. If Auburn's offense can't produce and can't even freakin run the ball, then there is not success this season. Running the ball is our MO. I do believe Gus is a great coach. And he will get them to perform better. But as a coach you have to look for answers. You have to win games. And if you get beat by Miss St. on your home turf that was voted to finish dead last in the West this season, then Gus will have some serious problems to face. That's all I'm saying. But really... if it came down to it... it's not an awful idea to try to get a spark in the run game.

Base plays come out of the same formation because simplicity is required for a HUNH offense to work. You can't get ridiculous with the formations and floor the gas pedal. That's why Gus loves motion so much, it's the window dressing to be thrown on top of tempo.

The offense does not currently have a feature back that can run to set up the pass. In the absence of that, they need to pass to set up the run, and that's not working either since the offense lacks the ability to stretch the field with a passing attack. That's the purpose JJ was to serve, and it has failed. The offense does not need more sparks in the backfield to make a rushing attack work, it needs a vertical passing attack that can threaten an opposing defense. The only thing they're threatening a defense with consistently right now is interceptions. If JWall could help them outside of the QB position, you would have seen him already.

This offense is not running with tempo. Considering the absence of tempo, this offense cannot just line up and run indefinitely at an opponent without a Leonard Fournette or Nick Chubb in the backfield. Opposing defenses consider us to be one-dimensional, and they're right to do so. There is no Tre Mason in the backfield currently, and we've demonstrated we are just as likely to throw their defenders a great pass as we are to our receivers when trying to stretch the field.

I think the issue with Wallace is arm strength. He can't stretch the field or throw accurately on deeper passes. Because of that, our offense would be even more predictable with Wallace at qb.

First off, Malzahn's offense is based around running to open up the passing game, which is the opposite of the spread which is why he doesn't like to call his offense the spread. When we are successful getting first downs, that's when the HUNH comes into effect. But if we can't get first downs, or incomplete passes, it throws off the MO of our offense, then the HUNH is not going to be successful. JJ's confidence is completely blown now and you can see it. With a successful HUNH you don't have to have a DT QB, but you do have to complete passes and have a decent run game. The Oline play is horrible right now. Peyton Barber is the best rb we have, so don't say we don't have a premier back, because we do. And he's just as bit of good (or will be) as Tre was. Tre was great, but he also performed really well because he had Greg Robinson and Jay Prosch blocking in front of him and the zone read forced defenses from sideline to sideline and the whole length of the field. With Sammie running vertical routes down the field, and Nick and Tre running the zone read play action every play, you never knew as a defense what exactly are they were going to do. Is Tre getting the ball, or is the QB keeping it. Is it play action and is it a deep ball down the field or to an underneath route. And even if the defense had everyone covered, Nick scrambled and would almost always gain yardage. Not saying you need a DT QB, but it always stretches a defense. We can't consistently complete a pass or run the ball because of the offensive line, which then creates failure for the HUNH. Not one drive has there been up tempo to the offense. Gus runs to open up the pass, that's always been his philosophy. But they have gotten too into JJ having so much talent to try and throw and open up the rub. Neither has worked, therefore it's a hopeless offense right now, which is the reason why I mentioned JWall. No, he's not the best QB and he's not the best athlete on the field, but he is a leader. He's a captain for goodness sakes. He has a chance to keep the opposing defense on its toes for a change this season.

What if we finish 4-8? What do we do? Do we fire Gus and pay through the nose to do so? A ton of questions for a light mind folks. OK, lets say we fire Gus and pay off what we owe to the coaching staff. We keep Boom, T-Rob, Horton, and JBG.

We hire Mark Hudspeth from ULL. This man is one of the hottest coaches out there. He will one day be a superstar. This is way out there and I know it.

I do not see us losing 8 games. I think we will come in around 8-4 at the best, and 6-6 at the worst. I hope our QB recruit can come in and be the kind of QB we are looking for.

I say give J-Wall or better yet, Sean White the ball to see what they can do.

Seriously, I have a hard time believing Wallace or White would be much worse than JJ. At least Wallace has real SEC game experience...he was also thrown into the fire as a freshman under Scott freaking Loeffler, so he's had time to learn and mature. Our entire offense was a dumpster fire under Loeffler.

I think the issue with Wallace is arm strength. He can't stretch the field or throw accurately on deeper passes. Because of that, our offense would be even more predictable with Wallace at qb.

Exactly! Anybody who watched the games he played could easily see his lack of arm strength was an issue. He's athletic but we wouldn't be able to get the ball down the field with JW. I love JW and what he stands for but other than the occasional wild cat play..that's the only reason he should be behind center.

We hire Mark Hudspeth from ULL. This man is one of the hottest coaches out there. He will one day be a superstar. This is way out there and I know it.

IF there was a change, Hudspeth would be #1 on my list. I agree with you 100% on Hud. He has been competitive with the SEC the last few years with a Sunbelt team in the same state as powerhouse LSU. That is hard to recruit against, but he gets his share of the local talent. He even has an Auburn connection. Melvin Smith is his DC. That is a big IF. I want to keep Gus for now. I believe he can turn it around.

I don't know if SW is the answer or if JWall is the answer or if moving Jason Smith back to QB is the answer, but it is becoming increasingly clear JJ is not the answer. His confidence is shot. He is a deer in the headlights. Gus might well go ahead and try something different or this season is going down the tubes. Maybe a little time on the bench will clear his head.

I don't know if SW is the answer or if JWall is the answer or if moving Jason Smith back to QB is the answer, but it is becoming increasingly clear JJ is not the answer. His confidence is shot. He is a deer in the headlights. Gus might well go ahead and try something different or this season is going down the tubes. Maybe a little time on the bench will clear his head.

Good post. Yes, we have all 3 of those options available and we can try all of them. It's not the end of the world if the QB is benched, for him or for the team. Spurrier is known for benching his QB and putting him back in again. Even shorty benched Coker and put him back in later.

I'm glad we didn't give up on Jason Campbell in 2003. 10 TD v/s 8 Ints on the season. Just reference material.

Base plays come out of the same formation because simplicity is required for a HUNH offense to work. You can't get ridiculous with the formations and floor the gas pedal. That's why Gus loves motion so much, it's the window dressing to be thrown on top of tempo.

The offense does not currently have a feature back that can run to set up the pass. In the absence of that, they need to pass to set up the run, and that's not working either since the offense lacks the ability to stretch the field with a passing attack. That's the purpose JJ was to serve, and it has failed. The offense does not need more sparks in the backfield to make a rushing attack work, it needs a vertical passing attack that can threaten an opposing defense. The only thing they're threatening a defense with consistently right now is interceptions. If JWall could help them outside of the QB position, you would have seen him already.

This offense is not running with tempo. Considering the absence of tempo, this offense cannot just line up and run indefinitely at an opponent without a Leonard Fournette or Nick Chubb in the backfield. Opposing defenses consider us to be one-dimensional, and they're right to do so. There is no Tre Mason in the backfield currently, and we've demonstrated we are just as likely to throw their defenders a great pass as we are to our receivers when trying to stretch the field.

I'm not sure we're even one dimensional right now. Also not sure I'd call Wallace a great athlete at least at D1 level. Good but not great. A great leader yes. And I think that might be better than our present situation. Gus has had success with average talent QB's with a much lesser supporting cast on offense. Goodness sakes. We have 4 and 5 star guys at every position on offensive side.

Archived