Jeremy Johnson Postgame Interview - LSU

RunInRed

How much do we miss Sammie Coates? We don't have a WR that scares defenses down the field and I wonder how much that is affecting our offensive production.

How many passes were deep throws yesterday?.....Zero

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do we miss Sammie Coates? We don't have a WR that scares defenses down the field and I wonder how much that is affecting our offensive production.

How many passes were deep throws yesterday?.....Zero

Ricardo Louis is every bit capable of stretching defenses. We just aren't trying it.

JJ is currently and has been poorly coached by Gus and Lashlee. Not his fault. However: it is also possible that he may not be a legitimate SEC caliber QB. Again, that is not his fault, it is the fault of his coaches for not recognizing that.

wde

I dont agree with this. What happened the Arkansas game last year.... I think its the pressure that hes been under. All of the praise he was getting prior to being the starter. He played lights out last year.... Same kids just a bigger role. Theres a difference than playing with no pressure because you know Nick Marshall could come in and do what he did, then you being now THE MAN. Just saying.

play calling hasn't helped. We have looked like an air raid offense early this year. Our offense is primarily screen passes and other short stuff to the outside. When we try to get the run game going, it works. Then we randomly try to go back to slinging it around. Jeremy obviously had stuff to work on, but it's not easy to lead an offense with no support from the run game. It's even harder when your receivers are dropping passes and you are in your first few games as a starter. I'm still not sure that Johnson is the guy, but I think our coaches have done a crap job helping him get off to a good start.

We have looked like an air raid offense early this year.

You've clearly never seen an Air Raid offense if you seriously think that the abortion we're putting out on the field looks like one LOL.

but I think our coaches have done a crap job helping him get off to a good start.

They have schemed numerous plays to get him easy throws, and he has either thrown it to the wrong guy or missed badly. He's not seeing anything properly on the field. On that freak play where the ball flew backwards out of his hand he was actually trying to dump the ball off to the check-down despite having Jason Smith wide open down field. He's missing open guys and throwing it to guys who are double and triple covered, and completely failing to recognizes defenders on the field. This is all JJ.

We have looked like an air raid offense early this year.

You've clearly never seen an Air Raid offense if you seriously think that the abortion we're putting out on the field looks like one LOL.

You should really start reading full posts before commenting. Air raid offense is characterized by a heavy focus on quick passing plays particularly in the perimeter. I didn't say we were running an air raid. I said that what we are doing right now looks more like an air raid than the Malzahn style power spread offense. Right now, we are not committed to running the ball and we aren't stretching the defense deep in vertical routes. Our offense looks like a slow paced poor attempt at an air raid-esque offense.

You should really start reading full posts before commenting. Air raid offense is characterized by a heavy focus on quick passing plays particularly in the perimeter. I didn't say we were running an air raid. I said that what we are doing right now looks more like an air raid than the Malzahn style power spread offense. Right now, we are not committed to running the ball and we aren't stretching the defense deep in vertical routes. Our offense looks like a slow paced poor attempt at an air raid-esque offense.

We were run-heavy in both of the first two games and Jeremy Johnson still couldn't throw the ball to the right team in either game. He threw 3 picks on only 21 attempts against Louisville; all on absolutely horrendous decisions. We were nearly 2-to-1 in run/pass ratio in that game. Air Raid my ass.

What are they supposed to do? Have him attempt 10 passes a game? They have to throw against better teams to loosen up the defense. The "power running" only works if we've got a QB who can dominate the run himself (Newton, Marshall) to give the defense a second look. If Johnson can't be that type of QB, then he needs to be able to make plays with his arm to allow the run game to operate. Right now he's not a runner and he's a horrendous passer, which is why we look so horrendous.

IMO Gus should make JJ off limits to the media, period. This kid is a head case and shouldn't have to be forced to cope with the media right now.

Yes, I think it might have gotten to that point. That would probably be a good idea for now, for his sake.

I think it was the right thing. He took like a man. He may have answered in coach speak to the jackal media, but a far worse fate would have been to let him moderate a forum on AuFamily.

IMO Gus should make JJ off limits to the media, period. This kid is a head case and shouldn't have to be forced to cope with the media right now.

Yes, I think it might have gotten to that point. That would probably be a good idea for now, for his sake.

I think it was the right thing. He took like a man. He may have answered in coach speak to the jackal media, but a far worse fate would have been to let him moderate a forum on AuFamily.

Agree...he's a college student and football player....handled the questions like he should have....polite, did not get defensive......though he could have expressed a bit more determination about what needs to be improved upon....otherwise...no problems IMO

I have a yik yak account for Auburn University and the students are being total idiots. Many of them are talking about booing JJ if he starts next week.....wtf is happening here?! Now I just feel incredibly bad for the kid. He went from hero to zero in 3 weeks.

I have a yik yak account for Auburn University and the students are being total idiots. Many of them are talking about booing JJ if he starts next week.....wtf is happening here?! Now I just feel incredibly bad for the kid. He went from hero to zero in 3 weeks.

I think many of us felt pretty bad for him before you told us that. He's clearly in over his head and I think he might feel happier than anyone were he to be relegated to the bench.

That a portion of the student body is thinking of booing him is disgraceful. Hopefully, they'll come to their senses before game day.

I honestly think the Ark game last year was not a fluke. He was ready and confident, only to be benched for the rest of the season. THAT is what messed with his head, IMO.

Mashall would not have seen the field last year under a lot of coaches. You break the rules and give up your spot, you may lose it forever.

Why would that have messed up his head? He knew going into that game that he wasn't taking the majority of the snaps. I think if anything he played better with the confidence of knowing his mistakes wouldn't lead to him being put in timeout because Marshall was just coming back in anyway.

The same reason I think Sean White would do well at first. He'll play with the confidence of knowing that JJ sucked it up before him and could be brought back in if he fails. Nobody would expect White to solve our problems. It's a big burden off.

I think knowing you're ready, and proving yourself capable in a big game, and then riding the bench the rest of the season can be difficult. It allowed for all that time for the hype to get to him. He was hyped from September to September. That's a lot of time to let expectations mound while not having a chance to meet them. He was powerless to tame the hype beast, and it ended up eating him. The coaches didn't help, either.

But I'm probably one of the few who thinks we should stick with him. I think he can get through it. Interceptions are decreasing every game, and QBR is going up. The fumble in our red zone was the RB's fault. He didn't pick up the blitz.

I felt bad for JJ6 during the interview - pretty d*ck questions.

It is the reporter' job to ask tough questions -- and I don't think any of those were that bad. Those are pretty standard questions for a team and player in this situation. If we could not expect JJ to handle such questions, then I'd have trouble believing he could overcome this adversity.

I honestly think the Ark game last year was not a fluke. He was ready and confident, only to be benched for the rest of the season. THAT is what messed with his head, IMO.

Mashall would not have seen the field last year under a lot of coaches. You break the rules and give up your spot, you may lose it forever.

Why would that have messed up his head? He knew going into that game that he wasn't taking the majority of the snaps. I think if anything he played better with the confidence of knowing his mistakes wouldn't lead to him being put in timeout because Marshall was just coming back in anyway.

The same reason I think Sean White would do well at first. He'll play with the confidence of knowing that JJ sucked it up before him and could be brought back in if he fails. Nobody would expect White to solve our problems. It's a big burden off.

I think knowing you're ready, and proving yourself capable in a big game, and then riding the bench the rest of the season can be difficult. It allowed for all that time for the hype to get to him. He was hyped from September to September. That's a lot of time to let expectations mound while not having a chance to meet them. He was powerless to tame the hype beast, and it ended up eating him. The coaches didn't help, either.

But I'm probably one of the few who thinks we should stick with him. I think he can get through it. Interceptions are decreasing every game, and QBR is going up. The fumble in our red zone was the RB's fault. He didn't pick up the blitz.

I don't understand the point that allowing SW to play means that Gus would be benching JJ for the rest of the season.

With our current situation where JJ has not performed as expected, most coaches would give SW a shot at a few series of plays, see how he does with a limited package or whatever and basically go with the guy who has the "hot hand" like Gus is inclined to do with his running backs. Just thinking that the competition might be more apples to apples if it is conducted in an actual game.

You are wrong! How did saban do Sat evening?

You are wrong! How did saban do Sat evening?

You know for someone who is a huge Auburn fan you sure do bring up Bama a lot.

I'll stick my neck out and say JJ is without a doubt SEC quarterback material. We've ALL seen it. It's in there somewhere....

I've seen some of the worst QBs in the NFL make incredible plays from time to time. It doesn't mean a whole lot to say its "in there somewhere".

C'mon now. The kid has every throw. He may not put it together mentally. That's TBD, but his arm talent is undeniable. Set up an I pressured workout, and he'd look better than a few NFL starters. His problem is between the ears. It's not a question of physical talent.

I'm less confident that he's going to regain that confidence though. He's a wreck right now.

l

I'll stick my neck out and say JJ is without a doubt SEC quarterback material. We've ALL seen it. It's in there somewhere....

I've seen some of the worst QBs in the NFL make incredible plays from time to time. It doesn't mean a whole lot to say its "in there somewhere".

I remember a Tubs quarterback having a struggling first year with passing as a starter in college and went on to have a pretty good pro career....Jason Campbell. Fans grumbled about passing and then it came together for him.

C'mon now. The kid has every throw. He may not put it together mentally. That's TBD, but his arm talent is undeniable. Set up an I pressured workout, and he'd look better than a few NFL starters. His problem is between the ears. It's not a question of physical talent.

I'm less confident that he's going to regain that confidence though. He's a wreck right now.

So you think having a great arm and no mental capacity is an NFL QB????

I think his arm talent is incredibly overrated. His footwork is non-existent. A lot of the passes he is throwing out there are bush-league. That INT on the throw to Duke Williams was just floated up inside the numbers; he couldn't even accomplish the proper move of throwing the ball towards the sideline...it looked like an incredibly ugly pass. Its not like his bad decisions and bad passes look "pretty"; they just look like garbage throws most of the time. Tons of passes both low and high, what special "arm talent" are you referring to? He's only thrown a handful of "pretty" passes in three games worth of attempts.

His overall mechanics look shockingly poor. On a lot of his passes the ball looks odd coming out of his hand. When I think of a guy who had all the arm talent, could make every throw, but lacked the mental aptitude, I think of Jamarcus Russell. The ball looked magical coming out of his hand. I don't get that impression from these three games of Johnson at all.

I think that three seasons of Malzahn piping about his "NFL arm" have jaded people big time. Turns out that Malzahn's entire opinion was incredibly wrong. His arm appears to be as overrated as his entire game so far.

Yes he did but I still felt bad for him, especially being forced to deal with that one reporter.

OK i was going to be a little mad at JJ but then I saw the video. everyone shut the **** up!

We all suck still!! Seeing this video puts it into perfect perspective. morale victories and ***** slayings Cant wait til our captain decides to play again. night night.............................

I just want to see him smile….it is easy to tell he has the weight of the Auburn 'world' on his shoulders…JJ have fun…'it's only a game'

Archived