Jeremy Johnson Postgame Interview - LSU

RunInRed

I felt bad for JJ6 during the interview - pretty d*ck questions.

It is the reporter' job to ask tough questions -- and I don't think any of those were that bad. Those are pretty standard questions for a team and player in this situation. If we could not expect JJ to handle such questions, then I'd have trouble believing he could overcome this adversity.

Not like that. That's not the kind of questions you ask to a 20 year old kid who is really struggling. Then you do it over and over again 10 different ways. This isn't the NFL. You ask those kind of questions to the coaches who are grown men getting paid big bucks to answer them. All that jerk was doing was trying to get a sound bite at JJ's expense. Well guess what, he got it, then used it.

Today the same guy asked Lashlee what he thought of JJ saying he wouldn't get mad if the coaches decided to bench him. Now of course that answer could be interpreted many different ways, one of which is that JJ was saying he would be a team player about it, but the reporter didn't convey that. Lashlee, to his credit, answered properly, "I didn't see that."

No, that reporter is a horses's ass to harangue a struggling 20 year old like that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for him too. You ask him 20 or so questions to try to get him to make an ass of himself. Then nitpick his answers. Same with Rudy fords comment about fournette. Not any disrespect to him or LSU but every idiot in the world claim he was running his mouth. Most didn't read the entire comment.

C'mon now. The kid has every throw. He may not put it together mentally. That's TBD, but his arm talent is undeniable. Set up an I pressured workout, and he'd look better than a few NFL starters. His problem is between the ears. It's not a question of physical talent.

I think his arm talent is incredibly overrated. His footwork is non-existent. A lot of the passes he is throwing out there are bush-league. That INT on the throw to Duke Williams was just floated up inside the numbers; he couldn't even accomplish the proper move of throwing the ball towards the sideline...it looked like an incredibly ugly pass. Its not like his bad decisions and bad passes look "pretty"; they just look like garbage throws most of the time. Tons of passes both low and high, what special "arm talent" are you referring to? He's only thrown a handful of "pretty" passes in three games worth of attempts.

His overall mechanics look shockingly poor. On a lot of his passes the ball looks odd coming out of his hand. When I think of a guy who had all the arm talent, could make every throw, but lacked the mental aptitude, I think of Jamarcus Russell. The ball looked magical coming out of his hand. I don't get that impression from these three games of Johnson at all.

I think that three seasons of Malzahn piping about his "NFL arm" have jaded people big time. Turns out that Malzahn's entire opinion was incredibly wrong. His arm appears to be as overrated as his entire game so far.

Have you seen him throw at practice? Those who have say it is awe inspiring. Literally. I have a friend who saw him as as a true freshman at practice and said he looked like he had a pro arm right then. Gametime is different. Hell, against Arky last year, he looked so much better. Maybe because arky feared his run and laid off early?

C'mon now. The kid has every throw. He may not put it together mentally. That's TBD, but his arm talent is undeniable. Set up an I pressured workout, and he'd look better than a few NFL starters. His problem is between the ears. It's not a question of physical talent.

I think his arm talent is incredibly overrated. His footwork is non-existent. A lot of the passes he is throwing out there are bush-league. That INT on the throw to Duke Williams was just floated up inside the numbers; he couldn't even accomplish the proper move of throwing the ball towards the sideline...it looked like an incredibly ugly pass. Its not like his bad decisions and bad passes look "pretty"; they just look like garbage throws most of the time. Tons of passes both low and high, what special "arm talent" are you referring to? He's only thrown a handful of "pretty" passes in three games worth of attempts.

His overall mechanics look shockingly poor. On a lot of his passes the ball looks odd coming out of his hand. When I think of a guy who had all the arm talent, could make every throw, but lacked the mental aptitude, I think of Jamarcus Russell. The ball looked magical coming out of his hand. I don't get that impression from these three games of Johnson at all.

I think that three seasons of Malzahn piping about his "NFL arm" have jaded people big time. Turns out that Malzahn's entire opinion was incredibly wrong. His arm appears to be as overrated as his entire game so far.

Have you seen him throw at practice? Those who have say it is awe inspiring. Literally. I have a friend who saw him as as a true freshman at practice and said he looked like he had a pro arm right then. Gametime is different. Hell, against Arky last year, he looked so much better. Maybe because arky feared his run and laid off early?

Why didn't he start over Nick then last year?

I felt bad for JJ6 during the interview - pretty d*ck questions.

It is the reporter' job to ask tough questions -- and I don't think any of those were that bad. Those are pretty standard questions for a team and player in this situation. If we could not expect JJ to handle such questions, then I'd have trouble believing he could overcome this adversity.

Not like that. That's not the kind of questions you ask to a 20 year old kid who is really struggling. Then you do it over and over again 10 different ways. This isn't the NFL. You ask those kind of questions to the coaches who are grown men getting paid big bucks to answer them. All that jerk was doing was trying to get a sound bite at JJ's expense. Well guess what, he got it, then used it.

Today the same guy asked Lashlee what he thought of JJ saying he wouldn't get mad if the coaches decided to bench him. Now of course that answer could be interpreted many different ways, one of which is that JJ was saying he would be a team player about it, but the reporter didn't convey that. Lashlee, to his credit, answered properly, "I didn't see that."

No, that reporter is a horses's ass to harangue a struggling 20 year old like that.

Agree......

I honestly think the Ark game last year was not a fluke. He was ready and confident, only to be benched for the rest of the season. THAT is what messed with his head, IMO.

Mashall would not have seen the field last year under a lot of coaches. You break the rules and give up your spot, you may lose it forever.

Why would that have messed up his head? He knew going into that game that he wasn't taking the majority of the snaps. I think if anything he played better with the confidence of knowing his mistakes wouldn't lead to him being put in timeout because Marshall was just coming back in anyway.

The same reason I think Sean White would do well at first. He'll play with the confidence of knowing that JJ sucked it up before him and could be brought back in if he fails. Nobody would expect White to solve our problems. It's a big burden off.

I agree, and this could be helpful for both of these young men. Put Sean White in and see if he can get this offense going. And take a little pressure off JJ at the same time. It could be the spark the team needs. And they couldn't play much worse than they did Saturday.

Like most things in life struggles usually come from the head and heart. Jeremy is in desperate need of some confidence. With out regaining a healthy dose of self confidence he will fail. He seems to be so afraid of failure that he is simply unable to relax and play ball. I truly hope for his sake that he can shed the seeds of self doubt and play with the God given skill that I know he possess. If he was my son I would have found that reporter and made him truly regret his hammer like approach. It was unprofessional and uncalled for. Jeremy if you read this, don't you worry about thing. Relax, have fun, use the skills that God gave you. If you do, I promise your critics will drop like flies.

This makes me sick. JJ is a college kid. It's obvious how bad he feels and how he is struggling to keep his composure. There's no need to act like a pack of rabid dogs tearing into fresh meat.

I agree and you have to feel bad for JJ. The play at QB is what it is but just to keep digging at the kid is pathetic imo. Who is that "grown up" reporter with the low voice who kept asking the same line of questions about being benched, why will you be better, etc., over and over again ?

That same guy has gotten under Gus' s skin a few times during fall camp....I don't remember his voice from last year.

Sounds like the reporter is James Crepea, beat writer from AL.com. He is pretty objective for the most part however he does tend to not have enough tact during interviews to sense when he has crossed the line. I think in this case he was just trying to find out if JJ had any fight in him for his spot, maybe to see if he had any sense of leadership. I do agree that it was not right to put JJ in front of the media after a tough loss. The players I wanted to hear from were the LBs, especially Kris Frost (Jake Holland 2.0).

This makes me sick. JJ is a college kid. It's obvious how bad he feels and how he is struggling to keep his composure. There's no need to act like a pack of rabid dogs tearing into fresh meat.

I agree and you have to feel bad for JJ. The play at QB is what it is but just to keep digging at the kid is pathetic imo. Who is that "grown up" reporter with the low voice who kept asking the same line of questions about being benched, why will you be better, etc., over and over again ?

That same guy has gotten under Gus' s skin a few times during fall camp....I don't remember his voice from last year.

Sounds like the reporter is James Crepea, beat writer from AL.com. He is pretty objective for the most part however he does tend to not have enough tact during interviews to sense when he has crossed the line. I think in this case he was just trying to find out if JJ had any fight in him for his spot, maybe to see if he had any sense of leadership. I do agree that it was not right to put JJ in front of the media after a tough loss. The players I wanted to hear from were the LBs, especially Kris Frost (Jake Holland 2.0).

If that was indeed Crepea, he holds a grudge against Gus for no-showing an event in Montgomery a year or two ago. Dude wouldn't stop tweeting about it for a week after it happened. Not saying it informs the way that he approaches his beat in 2015, but it's a possible explanation for him leaving off the kid gloves here. And I'm okay with the questions. I think they can only help. Looking at the back-to-back questions at the :35 mark, I see Jeremy get a little pissed off. That's kind of what I want to see right now out of him.

Meta, I'll disagree about his arm talent even now. He has the ability to drive the ball across the field on the out route. Most college QBs cannot do that. He's also shown more touch on downfield throws than a college QB. Look at the throws to Roc and Jason Smith (called back). Those are pretty passes. His issue isn't arm strength or touch. It's pre snap recognition, progressions, handling pressure. Those don't have to do with arm talent. He's got all the arm and touch you'd ever want.

I'll stick my neck out and say JJ is without a doubt SEC quarterback material. We've ALL seen it. It's in there somewhere....

This one read my mind. It's not like we've NEVER seen the talent AND the decision-making mesh. He's got it, someone's just gotta figure out how to get it back.

I'll stick my neck out and say JJ is without a doubt SEC quarterback material. We've ALL seen it. It's in there somewhere....

This one read my mind. It's not like we've NEVER seen the talent AND the decision-making mesh. He's got it, someone's just gotta figure out how to get it back.

Yep.....and I kept thinking that about KF and KB before him.....sometimes the stats and reputation are deceiving and ya just have to believe your "lying eyes" and accept what actually happens on the playing field as being the reality.

$wag Kelly has been $wagging $ince way before Jeremy lost hi$ game. He'$ got $o much $wag defense$ can't even $ee him, just hi$ touchdown$.

Seriously, he may be a ticking timebomb, but I'm in the bag for that kid.

JJ is currently and has been poorly coached by Gus and Lashlee. Not his fault. However: it is also possible that he may not be a legitimate SEC caliber QB. Again, that is not his fault, it is the fault of his coaches for not recognizing that.

wde

Not saying you are wrong, but was he poorly coached against Arkansas last year? And if all accounts of his prowess in practice are true, how could one expect this type performance? Especially considering said Arkansas game last year which was only true game tape available?

After reading a lot of comments I feel compelled to put my two cents in. It wasn't so much the questions that were asked but the tone of voice that got to me. This reporter was brutal and JJ handled it well. The other thing, I have watched Auburn for over 50 years and I would never ever boo a player, or coach or team. A team that is winning doesn't need us. They only need us when they are down. If you can't support a team when they are losing then you don't deserve to have a winner. I have carried this attitude through life in many different situations. I hope we all have a winner the rest of the season. War Eagle!

After reading a lot of comments I feel compelled to put my two cents in. It wasn't so much the questions that were asked but the tone of voice that got to me. This reporter was brutal and JJ handled it well. The other thing, I have watched Auburn for over 50 years and I would never ever boo a player, or coach or team. A team that is winning doesn't need us. They only need us when they are down. If you can't support a team when they are losing then you don't deserve to have a winner. I have carried this attitude through life in many different situations. I hope we all have a winner the rest of the season. War Eagle!

100% backed. It's sad to see so many "fans" putting down a kid who is trying his hardest to succeed. That is the opposite of a fan in my opinion.

JJ is currently and has been poorly coached by Gus and Lashlee. Not his fault. However: it is also possible that he may not be a legitimate SEC caliber QB. Again, that is not his fault, it is the fault of his coaches for not recognizing that.

wde

Not saying you are wrong, but was he poorly coached against Arkansas last year? And if all accounts of his prowess in practice are true, how could one expect this type performance? Especially considering said Arkansas game last year which was only true game tape available?

I am saying his 1 half against Arky was too small of a data point to say whether he had been well coached or poorly coached especially since JJ and the coaching staff knew NM was going to play in the 2nd half. We now have 3 full games of play and it has been known by the coaching staff since before we played Game 1 in 2014 (and probably 2013) that JJ would be our starting QB this season. Why is he not better prepared or why did our staff not realize JJ could not handle the position and at least give the back-up QB some series in the previous 3 games. It is inexcusable in my opinion that the back up QB did not get at least 1 series against Jax State.

wde

100% backed. It's sad to see so many "fans" putting down a kid who is trying his hardest to succeed. That is the opposite of a fan in my opinion.

Don't think I've seen many personal put-downs.....JJ seems to be a decent guy, polite, etc. etc....Most everyone agrees the guy questioning him was a ass....and I can't understand why the coaches put JJ out there after a tough game.

But...JJ is also a big time Power 5 school QB with a four year scholarship because of his football skills. He volunteered to play an out-front sport like college football....and JMO, but there is reason that people can't make observations about his performance on the field.

To be completely honest, how can you really tell that he is "trying his hardest"? In a lot of the short cut-offs I've seen of him on the bench or being talked to by Lashlee he looks extremely nonchalant and disinterested. For a guy who has really accomplished nothing, he appears to be approaching these hurdles as if they are just a minor blip in the system.

To be completely honest, how can you really tell that he is "trying his hardest"? In a lot of the short cut-offs I've seen of him on the bench or being talked to by Lashlee he looks extremely nonchalant and disinterested. For a guy who has really accomplished nothing, he appears to be approaching these hurdles as if they are just a minor blip in the system.

True, I am assuming he is trying his hardest, but that is an assumption I am willing to make about everyone, whoever they are unless I have a damn good reason not to.

Archived