2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

Auburnguy101 and all others that think CGM can only use a dual threat ab please go back and look at his offense at Tulsa and then look at the numbers Chris Todd put up. He has had success with pocket guys.

While at Tulsa he killed it, the Chris Todd offense was not of championship caliber IMO. There were quite a few games that the offense was seriously stuck in the mud. While at AU Gus hasn't shown the ability to have a top offense without a dual threat QB. Who knows if the caliber of defenders he's going up against makes a difference or not. In theory it shouldn't bc the level of competition evens out but the defenders can cover so much more ground than what the Tulsa and Arky State defenses were going up against. While the pocket passer centric Gus offense can be good I just think the elements of the QB being a run threat mixed in with everything else gives the potential of Gus' offenses to be devastating for defenses.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburnguy101 and all others that think CGM can only use a dual threat ab please go back and look at his offense at Tulsa and then look at the numbers Chris Todd put up. He has had success with pocket guys.

While at Tulsa he killed it, the Chris Todd offense was not of championship caliber IMO. There were quite a few games that the offense was seriously stuck in the mud. While at AU Gus hasn't shown the ability to have a top offense without a dual threat QB. Who knows if the caliber of defenders he's going up against makes a difference or not. In theory it shouldn't bc the level of competition evens out but the defenders can cover so much more ground than what the Tulsa and Arky State defenses were going up against. While the pocket passer centric Gus offense can be good I just think the elements of the QB being a run threat mixed in with everything else gives the potential of Gus' offenses to be devastating for defenses.

If people will remember Chris Todd had an injury that really impacted his throwing but because of high football IQ and working with the Gus Offense he still put up great numbers. For those who say Gus doesn't teach his QB's to go through receiver Progression and always has a single target. Chris mixed it up very well and went through progressions. Nick and CAM Gus used their legs he would have been an idiot not to have them use their legs. He wanted JJ to go through progressions but he didn't do it. A couple of times after first couple of games Gus mentioned progressions so he teaches it. Why did JJ seem to do it in practice but not games. Two reasons practice was against Auburn defense and second he doesn't have to worry about getting hit during practice it is easier to stand there make the reads when you know you won't be hit.

If people will remember Chris Todd had an injury that really impacted his throwing but because of high football IQ and working with the Gus Offense he still put up great numbers. For those who say Gus doesn't teach his QB's to go through receiver Progression and always has a single target. Chris mixed it up very well and went through progressions. Nick and CAM Gus used their legs he would have been an idiot not to have them use their legs. He wanted JJ to go through progressions but he didn't do it. A couple of times after first couple of games Gus mentioned progressions so he teaches it. Why did JJ seem to do it in practice but not games. Two reasons practice was against Auburn defense and second he doesn't have to worry about getting hit during practice it is easier to stand there make the reads when you know you won't be hit.

Which offense has had more production? An offense with a dual threat QB, or a pocket passer, under Gus?....And now you wonder why I and maybe 4 others on here know that Gus NEEDS a dual threat QB to have a championship type of team...

Which offense has had more production? An offense with a dual threat QB, or a pocket passer, under Gus?....And now you wonder why I and maybe 4 others on here know that Gus NEEDS a dual threat QB to have a championship type of team...

Well, since you don't seem to be interested in taking all factors into account, his most successful offenses were with pocket passers at Tulsa.

Well, since you don't seem to be interested in taking all factors into account, his most successful offenses were with pocket passers at Tulsa.

Ok, so if Tulsa played in SEC, they would have won the SEC, right? Since I'm going by most everyone's logic here about Gus' offense, we would have won the SEC title twice and one national title and another NC appearance with a pocket passer, right? I mean, your logic and argument says that Gus can win a championship with any QB. Well, your logic is wrong. Those titles he has won have been with DT QBs. And please, stop bringing up Tulsa, that is so old and irrelevant. Gus has enough experience in the SEC now where his Tulsa offenses have no bearing on his success at Auburn. You really think we win the national title with a pocket passer in 2010? Or win the SEC with a Chris Todd or SW-like QB in 2013? Be honest. If you say yes, then it's obvious that you have some agenda against DT Qbs. And that's the thing with you and most everyone here, who have been attacking me and not listening. I want Auburn to win and succeed, and I would love that we could win with a game manager-type of QB or pocket passer, like UAT and UGA as well. However, the facts are that, with Gus wanting to have a power-running game, and the type of offense he wants, a DT QB is the only type of QB that Gus can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with here at Auburn. Again, I never said he couldn't win with the type of offense he ran in Tulsa, I'm saying, and facts are saying, that he can't win Championships in the SEC without a DT QB.

In 2009 Chris Todd Statistics:

328 Pass Attempts

198 Pass Completions

60.4% Completion Percentage

2612 Yards

22 Touchdowns

6 Interceptions

QB Rating 145.7

He had a bad arm at the time. By anybody's standards that is pretty darn good.

Like CAM and Nick he had an offensive line that had been playing together for a while and was dominant.

To many people look at the QB when talking about an Offense. Auburn has had great Offenses when we have had a dominant Offensive Line. Cam had basically the same line as Todd with one more year together.

Cam and Nick would be good this year at Auburn but would not be as good as in 2010 for CAM and 2013 for Nick because of the O-Line. Nick was good last year but not as good as the year before reason the O-Line.

Ok, so if Tulsa played in SEC, they would have won the SEC, right? Since I'm going by most everyone's logic here about Gus' offense, we would have won the SEC title twice and one national title and another NC appearance with a pocket passer, right? I mean, your logic and argument says that Gus can win a championship with any QB. Well, your logic is wrong. Those titles he has won have been with DT QBs. And please, stop bringing up Tulsa, that is so old and irrelevant. Gus has enough experience in the SEC now where his Tulsa offenses have no bearing on his success at Auburn. You really think we win the national title with a pocket passer in 2010? Or win the SEC with a Chris Todd or SW-like QB in 2013? Be honest. If you say yes, then it's obvious that you have some agenda against DT Qbs. And that's the thing with you and most everyone here, who have been attacking me and not listening. I want Auburn to win and succeed, and I would love that we could win with a game manager-type of QB or pocket passer, like UAT and UGA as well. However, the facts are that, with Gus wanting to have a power-running game, and the type of offense he wants, a DT QB is the only type of QB that Gus can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with here at Auburn. Again, I never said he couldn't win with the type of offense he ran in Tulsa, I'm saying, and facts are saying, that he can't win Championships in the SEC without a DT QB.

You're like arguing with a brick wall.

328 Pass Attempts

198 Pass Completions

2612 Yards

22 Touchdowns

6 Interceptions

QB Rating 145.7

Like CAM and Nick he had an offensive line that had been playing together for a while and was dominant.

To many people look at the QB when talking about an Offense. Auburn has had great Offenses when we have had a dominant Offensive Line. Cam had basically the same line as Todd with one more year together.

Cam and Nick would be good this year at Auburn but would not be as good as in 2010 for CAM and 2013 for Nick because of the O-Line. Nick was good last year but not as good as the year before reason the O-Line.

I understand the importance of a good offensive line and the surrounding cast helping out. However, people look at the QB because they are the ones that handle the ball every play on offense. If they are struggling, everything in the offense will be struggling. You think last year we had that great of an offensive line? No, but because NM made plays with his feet when things broke down, our offense was still difficult to cover. You don't think we would have a better record this year if Cam or NM were here this year? I believe our offensive line isn't as bad as many here think they are doing, but because our QB play has been terrible to average at best, they are getting a bad rep. We have at least 2-3 NFL players on our offensive line, but since our QB is lacking, they are struggling as well. Look at last week. I would only pin 1-2 sacks on them. Everything else was SW taking too long holding the ball or because he could not scramble. As much as JJ struggled, he was only sacked 1-2 times in his starts. The offensive line didn't just all of a sudden suck last week. So, yea, QB play makes everything go, especially in our offense. And it's why I'm harping that we need a DT QB to maximize our potential on offense.

How's that? Tell me what statement am I wrong? Why should I take into account what he did at Tulsa if that's your argument for pocket passers and that he can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with any QB n the SEC? Gene Chizik had great defenses at Auburn and Texas and UCF, but we saw how he looked at Auburn as HC. Tony Franklin had great offenses before coming to Auburn, but and yes I know of the circumstances, we struggled mightily. He does great in mid-major programs, but can't make it in conferences like the SEC. And that's what I'm saying with regards to Gus. Yea, sure he had great offenses at Tulsa, but that is irrelevant because his success is based on how he is faring at Auburn. And now that we have 5 seasons and 3 games worth of evidence, it is obvious that Gus' offense in the SEC NEEDS a DT QB to win championships here at Auburn. How is that a wrong statement, or like arguing with a brick wall?

Everything else was SW taking too long holding the ball or because he could not scramble. As much as JJ struggled, he was only sacked 1-2 times in his starts.

You seem to be suggesting that Johnson is more mobile than White. Is that accurate?

Everything else was SW taking too long holding the ball or because he could not scramble. As much as JJ struggled, he was only sacked 1-2 times in his starts.

You seem to be suggesting that Johnson is more mobile than White. Is that accurate?

I wasn't really suggesting anything like that actually. I was making an observation. Am I wrong? And after you pointed that out, yea, I think he is way more mobile than SW. And he did seem to be more comfortable in the offense we ran in the 2nd half against LSU than what the coaches were forcing him to do this whole season. But, I'm not going to get into that. Anyways, yes, it does suggest that JJ being only sacked 1-2times in three games is more mobile than SW, who was sacked like 4-5 times. And I would say JJ played against at least as good or even better defenses that SW played against last week.

I wasn't really suggesting anything like that actually. I was making an observation. Am I wrong? And after you pointed that out, yea, I think he is way more mobile than SW. And he did seem to be more comfortable in the offense we ran in the 2nd half against LSU than what the coaches were forcing him to do this whole season. But, I'm not going to get into that. Anyways, yes, it does suggest that JJ being only sacked 1-2times in three games is more mobile than SW, who was sacked like 4-5 times. And I would say JJ played against at least as good or even better defenses that SW played against last week.

Hah. Cool.

How's that? Tell me what statement am I wrong? Why should I take into account what he did at Tulsa if that's your argument for pocket passers and that he can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with any QB n the SEC? Gene Chizik had great defenses at Auburn and Texas and UCF, but we saw how he looked at Auburn as HC. Tony Franklin had great offenses before coming to Auburn, but and yes I know of the circumstances, we struggled mightily. He does great in mid-major programs, but can't make it in conferences like the SEC. And that's what I'm saying with regards to Gus. Yea, sure he had great offenses at Tulsa, but that is irrelevant because his success is based on how he is faring at Auburn. And now that we have 5 seasons and 3 games worth of evidence, it is obvious that Gus' offense in the SEC NEEDS a DT QB to win championships here at Auburn. How is that a wrong statement, or like arguing with a brick wall?

Franklin is doing quite well at Cal at the moment. Anyone who even remotely understands that debacle knows it wasn't Tony.

328 Pass Attempts

198 Pass Completions

2612 Yards

22 Touchdowns

6 Interceptions

QB Rating 145.7

I understand the importance of a good offensive line and the surrounding cast helping out. However, people look at the QB because they are the ones that handle the ball every play on offense. If they are struggling, everything in the offense will be struggling. You think last year we had that great of an offensive line? No, but because NM made plays with his feet when things broke down, our offense was still difficult to cover. You don't think we would have a better record this year if Cam or NM were here this year? I believe our offensive line isn't as bad as many here think they are doing, but because our QB play has been terrible to average at best, they are getting a bad rep. We have at least 2-3 NFL players on our offensive line, but since our QB is lacking, they are struggling as well. Look at last week. I would only pin 1-2 sacks on them. Everything else was SW taking too long holding the ball or because he could not scramble. As much as JJ struggled, he was only sacked 1-2 times in his starts. The offensive line didn't just all of a sudden suck last week. So, yea, QB play makes everything go, especially in our offense. And it's why I'm harping that we need a DT QB to maximize our potential on offense.

Against LSU we were behind so far and the D-Line was so dominant they didn't need to Blitz most of the improvement in the second half was due to playing against second team. In the case of White Miss. State threw Blitz packages against us and many times the Defensive Player was in backfield almost at same time as the ball got to the QB. The O-line did a horrible job against the Blitz they were fine against normal pass rushes. Most sacks were not SW's fault.

There is no doubt that Nick and Cam would be better then SW in Miss State however but remember at beginning of year with CAM and with Nick there were issues. SW has had one game and did not practice as starting QB throughout fall practice like they did. Also Nick was better first year then second year and that was because O-Line was better first year. Nick also had Sammie Coates and Williams in his second year so you would have thought one full year of experience and better receiving core and his second year would have been better. O-Line was the difference. Last years O-Line was better than this years.

How well do you think CAM and Nick would have done if they had each had 1 year as a red shirt and then had one week practicing with first team.

I am not saying O-Line is bad I am saying they are not good yet to many penalties and not working well as a unit against Blitz's

For those who say Gus doesn't teach his QB's to go through receiver Progression and always has a single target. Chris mixed it up very well and went through progressions.

Chris Todd was already a finished product; he was brought up in the Air Raid system which routinely sees the QB throw 40+ times per game. I really hope you aren't suggesting that Malzahn "taught" him how to play.

Chris Todd played in 5 games at Texas Tech and threw a whole 35 passes so yes I am giving Gus credit for his development.

Chris Todd played in 5 games at Texas Tech and threw a whole 35 passes so yes I am giving Gus credit for his development.

That's a fools argument considering you're comparing 2 of the best running QBs ever to average/decent throwing QBs. I suspect if another Cam or Nick were available, CGM would be the first in line.

Franklin is doing quite well at Cal at the moment. Anyone who even remotely understands that debacle knows it wasn't Tony.

That's not Franklin's offense

Well yes it is Dykes' O but TF runs it well. He thought enough of Franklin to bring him along from La Tech to Cal.

A head coach with his own philosophical O and an OC that manages it and calls plays, yeah no way that could go wrong.... :)

We appear to be getting a lot warmer on this guy (Jerod Evans), but he's new on the radar and we'd have to do some in person evals. But the highlights and stats this year are impressive:

http://www.hudl.com/...ts/287142375/v2

http://njcaaregion14.../jerodevans1gtp

He's 6-4, 225 lbs.

For those who say Gus doesn't teach his QB's to go through receiver Progression and always has a single target. Chris mixed it up very well and went through progressions.

Chris Todd was already a finished product; he was brought up in the Air Raid system which routinely sees the QB throw 40+ times per game. I really hope you aren't suggesting that Malzahn "taught" him how to play.

He certainly looked better under Gus than he did under Franklin.

FWIW, UAB is only school that offered Jerod Evans. Memphis and Auburn are only two schools that show some interest. I won't be surprised if TCU, Texas, Arizona State and Michigan State will take a look at him.

Archived