Who are the leaders on this team?

SouthGATiger

I was hoping Duke would step up and get these guys fired up on the offense but he doesn't seem like he has that fire this year.

Duke was a huge leader in the lockeroom in JUCO.

There doesn't appear to be any. JJ was touted as the leader, but he hasn't shown any leadership. Melvin Ray I think is the mature leader but this team needs a high motor, vocal leader to keep them on the same page. I think Carl Lawson seems to be the defensive least, but with him out, I don't know who would be considered a leader on defense.

There doesn't appear to be any. JJ was touted as the leader, but he hasn't shown any leadership. Melvin Ray I think is the mature leader but this team needs a high motor, vocal leader to keep them on the same page. I think Carl Lawson seems to be the defensive least, but with him out, I don't know who would be considered a leader on defense.

Who was a leader on defense last year?

I was hoping Duke would step up and get these guys fired up on the offense but he doesn't seem like he has that fire this year.

We're in big trouble if Duke is the leader...

I would not say that. He gave it all against the updykes last year, on one leg. He might not be a leader off the field but, on the field, he could be. Leadership isn't necessarily perfect or constant.

I would not say that. He gave it all against the updykes last year, on one leg. He might not be a leader off the field but, on the field, he could be. Leadership isn't necessarily perfect or constant.

True it's not perfect or constant but even on the field he looks like he's dogging it...and the off field stuff has been well documented

True it's not perfect or constant but even on the field he looks like he's dogging it...and the off field stuff has been well documented

True, to this point, this year, he does look like a different player. I think that is what is actually bothering everyone. The whole team looks that way. I don't think LSU is more talented. I think they have been coached to be passionate, determined, and confident. We appear to have had those characteristics coached out of our players.

True, to this point, this year, he does look like a different player. I think that is what is actually bothering everyone. The whole team looks that way. I don't think LSU is more talented. I think they have been coached to be passionate, determined, and confident. We appear to have had those characteristics coached out of our players.

I don't think the lack of passion has anything to do with coaching. We had plenty of passion in 2013 with the Prayer in Jordan Hare and with Kick Six. We just have a different group of players this year with no real leadership qualities...no seniors are stepping up....that I have seen anyways, maybe they are behind the scenes. I would like to see more passion on the sidelines though.

I don't think the lack of passion has anything to do with coaching. We had plenty of passion in 2013 with the Prayer in Jordan Hare and with Kick Six. We just have a different group of players this year with no real leadership qualities...no seniors are stepping up....that I have seen anyways, maybe they are behind the scenes. I would like to see more passion on the sidelines though.

I respectfully disagree. There are always leaders. Sometimes, for what ever reason, the team leaders are not endorsed by the coaches. Consequently, for better or worse, team leadership is undermined.

^The more I think about 2013, the more I think about guys (in no particular order) like Tre Mason, Dee Ford, Nick Marshall, Sammie Coates, Trovon Reed, Quan Bray, Jay Prosch, Craig Sanders, Reese Dismukes, Nosa Eguae, Jeff Whitaker, Gabe Wright, Chris Davis, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant... those are all guys that Gus inherited, not that he built. "There's no question" ;) that he steered them to Pasadena, but he had some good clay to mold.

I'm probably leaving some guys out, and y'all are probably scratching your heads at some of the names I mentioned. But for every one of those guys, I can give you at least one reason why they contributed to that team having a special character about it. And, yes, some of them came back last year, but at least 9 of them didn't. And none of them are here now. And I'm not sure we have guys on the team filling their shoes right now. I'm not saying that the Tre Williamses, Kerryon Johnsons and Carlton Davises won't get there (I have very high hopes for all 3), but they clearly haven't yet.

At this point I don't think anyone is playing well enough to get in the faces of team mates and challenge them to win a game.

As for Duke?....he's about the antithesis of leadership at this point....coming off his second suspension in less than a year......and the fact that he is the #1 WR makes me question the coaching.

Maybe someone will emerge this week but for 3 games I have not noticed anyone displaying on the field leadership. So I guess the question posed in the OP has not yet been answered.

^The more I think about 2013, the more I think about guys (in no particular order) like Tre Mason, Dee Ford, Nick Marshall, Sammie Coates, Trovon Reed, Quan Bray, Jay Prosch, Craig Sanders, Reese Dismukes, Nosa Eguae, Jeff Whitaker, Gabe Wright, Chris Davis, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant... those are all guys that Gus inherited, not that he built. "There's no question" ;)/> that he steered them to Pasadena, but he had some good clay to mold.

I'm probably leaving some guys out, and y'all are probably scratching your heads at some of the names I mentioned. But for every one of those guys, I can give you at least one reason why they contributed to that team having a special character about it. And, yes, some of them came back last year, but at least 9 of them didn't. And none of them are here now. And I'm not sure we have guys on the team filling their shoes right now. I'm not saying that the Tre Williamses, Kerryon Johnsons and Carlton Davises won't get there (I have very high hopes for all 3), but they clearly haven't yet.

But Gus helped construct that roster through his recruiting efforts as OC. He was only gone for one season. For example, Corey Grant wouldn't have come to AU if Gus wasn't on staff.

IMO we are too young and inexperienced to be effective in the SEC. You don't lpse the amt of talent we lost and stay the same. StatTiger's numbers support this as he's posted the numbers in relation to youth. The last few times we had a team this young and inexperienced it didn't end pretty. Look at Tennessee the past 2 years or even LSU last season. The youth is detrimental to success regardless of how much talent you're bringing in. JMO

^The more I think about 2013, the more I think about guys (in no particular order) like Tre Mason, Dee Ford, Nick Marshall, Sammie Coates, Trovon Reed, Quan Bray, Jay Prosch, Craig Sanders, Reese Dismukes, Nosa Eguae, Jeff Whitaker, Gabe Wright, Chris Davis, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant... those are all guys that Gus inherited, not that he built. "There's no question" ;)/> that he steered them to Pasadena, but he had some good clay to mold.

But Gus helped construct that roster through his recruiting efforts as OC. He was only gone for one season. For example, Corey Grant wouldn't have come to AU if Gus wasn't on staff.

That's true, at least on the offensive side.

IMO we are too young and inexperienced to be effective in the SEC. You don't lpse the amt of talent we lost and stay the same. StatTiger's numbers support this as he's posted the numbers in relation to youth. The last few times we had a team this young and inexperienced it didn't end pretty. Look at Tennessee the past 2 years or even LSU last season. The youth is detrimental to success regardless of how much talent you're bringing in. JMO

Completely agree there. I think there was a cadre of us following Stat's lead on that opinion going into the season. Unfortunately, poor QB play and injuries where we could least afford them have made things far worse than we expected.

It's answered. No one appears to be stepping up and taking control on the field during a game. No enthusiasm, no desire or drive to win,no accountability,etc. Until that changes, nothing else will.

I think people confuse production with leadership. They aren't the same. Just because we haven't been successful on the field doesn't mean we don't have leaders...

Who was a leader on defense last year?

Based on last year's defensive performance, I would say no one was the defensive leader .

Very valid point....which of course makes me wonder why a team with about 25+ seniors last year looked about the same at the end of the season as this team does after 3 games this season.

Was it a situation last year that despite all those upperclassmen, there was no leadership on the team which caused the collapse....and if there is none now.....why has that situation arisen....and how does leadership emerge?

different people lead in different ways. adams is leading by his effort on the DL. maybe not in superb production, but i saw that big ass defensive lineman making tackles waaaaaaay away from inside the tackle box. his effort showed. players see that.

i dont see the type of leadership out of the OL that you typically get from the upperclass O-Linemen. maybe i am missreading it, but i dont "feel" it.

in my opinion, not only do you need the lead by example guys, but you need some vocal rah-rah guys that are respected. that, unfortunately, i dont see anywhere. it does not have to be the QB, but it would be helpful. but someone needs to do it. it often is a RB, LB, DE, WR - a playmaker. by the very nature of their dynamic position they are able lead with charisma. not seeing that anywhere this year.

Archived