Auburn DL Next Year

AuburnNTexas

At the beginning of the year I like many others expected both Lawson and Adams to have breakout years and to go Pro. 1st Quarter of Louisville game like most I think my thoughts were confirmed. Then Lawson got hurt and now with being hurt two years in a row I think his stock will have gone down some. My Opinion please feel free to disagree. I believe because of this injury setback that Lawson will play one more year at Auburn. I am not sure about Adams because without Lawson helping to keep the Double teams off of him he is not producing at the level he is capable of, not because of lack of talent or effort but because of the way other teams can scheme against him. So assuming I am right and Lawson comes back at the Buck and the DE position we should be very solid next year. Holland and Cowart a year under their belts with Lawson back plus Prince and new signees. DT is a little more problematic If Adams comes back we are in a much better position I think less than 50% chance he comes back hope I am wrong. None of the current DT's other than Adams have shown that they can play at an Elite level. We need at least 2-3 top notch DT's in this next class players who can play and help in first year.

Yep, this is probably the most talked about need in the recruiting forum. We missed big on the DL position last year recruiting wise. We can't afford the same result this year.

Yep, this is probably the most talked about need in the recruiting forum. We missed big on the DL position last year recruiting wise. We can't afford the same result this year.

Huh?

I should clarify. We did amazing drafting DEs. We bombed drafting quality DTs.

Getting Rocker back as the D Line coach and giving him the title as associate DC with a few hundred thousand dollars over what the dead dogs are paying him. This would give us a defensive staff as good as any in the SEC.

Garner can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and the DL isn't doing that poorly anyway. They are "funneling" the running backs. It's the linebackers that aren't making tackles. Last year we signed one 3* high school DT and one JUCO. So far this year we've whiffed on some of our top DT prospects but a few are still uncommitted and available.

We desperately need a minimum of two more LB's (we have one committed so far) and at least two DT's, if not three. If Garner is in hot water it should be for his recruiting whiffs at the LB and DT positions, not the DL play on the field.

He really is then. Show me a d line that doesn't "funnel" a running back....And all those outside runs we gave up first two games were "funneling"? And let me guess you guys know what holes we were "funneling" them too? Like the first play of the game it wasn't a designed cut back lane where a guard and tight end sealed off and the other lineman ran through with a lead block to hit a linebacker....it was actually us wanting him to hit the cut back lane and we "funneled" him to that hole....

I don't know you. I know what Riggins did and my son played d-line in HS, and LB in college. I know him, and attended practices. Our end play has been awful. I agree there. But like on the O line, if two people get beat and 3 do exactly what they are coached, does anybody single out the 2 that whiffed blocks, or does the O line stink? Cass and Frost had to beat one block and fill holes. Lineman had to fill gaps that weren't those holes. All linemen get beat or blocked at times, even Rocker and Fairley. There is enough blame to go around, but in this case, I'll go with Mikey, the comedian, my son's HS and college coaches, and what I saw coached over the years.

Make no mistake, Cass and frost were horrible, frost has been over running plays the entire year, Cass had been playing good before this game.

But a team doesn't dominate you the way they did us and the d line play was good, or even decent. They ran on us every which way, not just bounced plays outside. But go along with whoever you want to. Just know when three lineman are building a wall and hole it's not really we wanted them to run in that hole through the "funnel".

Also like you said it's an entire team.

Bad angles, poor tackling, inconsistent effort. It is the entire defense.

Amen. But the offense going 3 and out, fumbling, throwing interceptions and all that junk is not helping the defense either. It seems like since halftime of the Loiusville game the defense has been on the field most of the time and our depth is where we can hold up as long as that continues.

M Adams was a dominant Player in Louisville game and JAX State Game he lived in both backfields less so against LSU where they either double teamed him or ran away from him. DE's did not contain but there were a lot of plays where the D-Line did funnel the RB's but LB's were not where they were supposed to be. so yes D-line under performed but some times LB's made it look like D-Line was not doing it properly when they were. DB Coverage has been decent but they are having to come up and make to many tackles against runners in open field.

Making room for Tracy is easy. Hire Tracy as DL coach and move Garner to TE coach / Special Teams coach. Rodney in charge of both when he was on Pat Dye's staff.

Archived