Trent Dilfer comments on Sean White & QB development

uncommonfan

http://auburn.247spo...factor-39652510

Not only Dilfer and Crowe have glowing comments. NFL qb draft guru calls White as talented as any QB he has ever seen.

Ken Mastrole:

“Sean ranks right up there,” he said. “I know undoubtedly he has the arm talent, the arm strength, the anticipation and the moxie to play the position. I think he really embodies all those things. He’s definitely a guy that, when I look between his two ears, he has all of that. It’s the way that he’s wired.”

Every quarterback who has worked alongside White, Mastrole said, has “marveled” at the way the way the ball comes out of his hand and at his lightning-quick release.

But Mastrole said it is not White’s physical gifts that are his greatest asset as looks ahead to his first career start, which will come Saturday against Mississippi State in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Instead, it’s mental. The “Brady factor,” Mastroled dubbed it, after New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who White has tried to model his game after in every respect.

“Obviously, all of these guys are talented enough or they wouldn’t have been recruited at the next level, regardless of whether you’re in a Power 5 conference or a smaller program,” Mastrole said. “But to be able to week in and week out take the ups and downs, take people that are your greatest fans but tomorrow could be your biggest enemies or your biggest critics, to be able to take all that in and be able to execute at a high level week in and week out at practice, that’s the biggest thing. It’s about compartmentalizing.”

Being able to sit out last season and take everything in benefited White, Mastrole said. That’s not to say White couldn’t have performed admirably as a true freshman last season.

Some things, Mastrole said, are just better learned through observation.

“I think that year of being able to travel with the team, go to places like Alabama, Ole Miss and see how to compete and play, I think that just gave him mental repetition,” Mastrole said. “It definitely helped being able to see it and be around those guys and really learn how that offense operates and the components within that offense. That typically takes a year to really digest for a quarterback.”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only Dilfer and Crowe have glowing comments. NFL qb draft guru calls White as talented as any QB he has ever seen.

Ken Mastrole:

“Sean ranks right up there,” he said. “I know undoubtedly he has the arm talent, the arm strength, the anticipation and the moxie to play the position. I think he really embodies all those things. He’s definitely a guy that, when I look between his two ears, he has all of that. It’s the way that he’s wired.”

Every quarterback who has worked alongside White, Mastrole said, has “marveled” at the way the way the ball comes out of his hand and at his lightning-quick release.

But Mastrole said it is not White’s physical gifts that are his greatest asset as looks ahead to his first career start, which will come Saturday against Mississippi State in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Instead, it’s mental. The “Brady factor,” Mastroled dubbed it, after New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who White has tried to model his game after in every respect.

“Obviously, all of these guys are talented enough or they wouldn’t have been recruited at the next level, regardless of whether you’re in a Power 5 conference or a smaller program,” Mastrole said. “But to be able to week in and week out take the ups and downs, take people that are your greatest fans but tomorrow could be your biggest enemies or your biggest critics, to be able to take all that in and be able to execute at a high level week in and week out at practice, that’s the biggest thing. It’s about compartmentalizing.”

Being able to sit out last season and take everything in benefited White, Mastrole said. That’s not to say White couldn’t have performed admirably as a true freshman last season.

“I think that year of being able to travel with the team, go to places like Alabama, Ole Miss and see how to compete and play, I think that just gave him mental repetition,” Mastrole said. “It definitely helped being able to see it and be around those guys and really learn how that offense operates and the components within that offense. That typically takes a year to really digest for a quarterback.”

Just read the article and it is indeed glowing with praise. He tempered it a bit by saying he would make some mistakes, but if SW can live up to half of that, he will be a much needed spark for our O (and D alike). I guess we will see come Saturday evening. WDE!

Yeah yeah and JJ was supposed to win the Heisman. I'll wait to judge

Can't argue with that.

I do think it's instructive for the "oh no, not the little white fella" crowd.

Think that many of us have adopted the concept that all QBs should look like Cam.....which tells me that those people have forgotten how that kid Murray from UGA gave us fits for 4 years....don't know about the rest of you but I was glad to see that guy gone.

What's the saying about the size of the dog in the fight....or the fight in the dog? Let's see how much fight SW has.

Hope people understand that we're 0-2 on the cam look alike performance

I remember hearing gus in that pressed say that SW has that cocky-quarterback mentality about him. That seems to be about what that article is saying when comparing him to Brady

I like that, a lot.

I saw a little Drew Brees on film when we were recruiting the guy. When Aaron Murray's name was mentioned, I saw that, too. The Brady comparisons are a stretch for me because that can't come through on film. But it's still nice to hear.

[quote name=PigskinPat' timestamp='1443029642'

post='2323832]

Wasn't Dilfer the one who said Sean can paint pictures with his balls?

I was looking where the painting with balls line starts?

The best laugh I've had all day THX!

*snickers*

yea, well if football does not pan out, there are a lot of people who would pay to see that.

Yeah yeah and JJ was supposed to win the Heisman. I'll wait to judge

Can't argue with that.

I do think it's instructive for the "oh no, not the little white fella" crowd.

Think that many of us have adopted the concept that all QBs should look like Cam.....which tells me that those people have forgotten how that kid Murray from UGA gave us fits for 4 years....don't know about the rest of you but I was glad to see that guy gone.

What's the saying about the size of the dog in the fight....or the fight in the dog? Let's see how much fight SW has.

While Cam did his part and was great, i'd be much more happy and pleased to see all of the support players from that team return to AU instead of another Cam. AU desperately needs a bunch of MENTALLY tough players, guys that can control and dominate the trenches. Players that never give up and will fight till the end.

We haven't seen that since Tubbs players fell off the roster, I miss those players more than I miss a QB that was only here for 1 yr.

Another good article on SW written by Bruce Feldman on Fox Sports. What stands out to me about SW is how he has always relished the underdog role. Now, he wants to prove to the world why he should have been given more offers by bigger programs. I think he has the mindset and competitive drive to excel. We probably will not see him play his best game this weekend, but eventually we will and eventually this kid will be someone who makes Auburn proud.

Wasn't Dilfer the one who said Sean can paint pictures with his balls?

:bigblush:/> :timeout:/>

You just don't understand modern art.

Tea Bagging to another level!

Ken Mastrole:

Just be Swag Kelly level and I'm good

This is A LOT of hyoerbole for a kid who hasn't thrown a pass in an actual college football game. People just throwing around names like Brady and Brees, true first ballot Hall of Famers.

So glad Gus and Rhett saw and recruited him long before any other top program in the country.

Soooo good on them!

he hasnt thrown a pass yet

no INTs either, haven't you heard he is better than drew brees?

So glad Gus and Rhett saw and recruited him long before any other top program in the country.

Soooo good on them!

he hasnt thrown a pass yet

no INTs either, haven't you heard he is better than drew brees?

Too early to talk Heisman?

I was compelled to look up the record for most interceptions thrown in one game.

John Reaves gave up nine picks on a single Saturday in 1969...against Auburn.

Carry on foaming at the mouth.

They say that records are made to be broken....but going out on a limb...I predict this is one record that will never be broken....

Well, there ya go. We (supposedly AU fans) went from mourning a former, to calebrating a present, to blasting the fans that do either. Roh Tahd! We made it to the big time!

Archived