Post MSU positive thread

FoundationEagle

We have enough negative threads going, let's see how a positive one can do

(1) Sean White looked great for a first snap ever in college. He made one mistake but came right back and fought til the end. He is a leader and what we need to right the ship.

(2) Defense found a way to improve. The first quarter was one of the worst of the season. After that, they seemed to improve every snap. I am impressed at how quick they are turning the corner. Muschamp proved tonight he knows D and how to get the most out of D players. If we continue to improve, we will finally have a great D again by the end of the year.

(3) Carlson is one heck of a field goal kicker. 50 plus yarder with all the pressure is impressive. He needs to work on specialty kickoffs, but the deep kicks are fantastic. He's got a pro career ahead.

(4) Kris Frost FINALLY hit someone. And then he did it over and over again. It must have felt good for him to play real football again.

(5). If LSU loses 2 between bama, Ole Miss and aTm..and MSU loses 1 more...Ole Miss and aTm lose one (not including to us), then we still have a chance at a possibly very large tiebreaker between 3-5 teams to go to ATL should we win out from here. Can you imagine a 5 team 2 loss tie? We would likely have the edge there if it goes to ranking because we would have won 8 straight at that point. Not extremely likely, but technically possible!

(6) If we get our Oline to play like a normal Grimes coached OL, there is no one left on our schedule we can't beat. Give White time to actually look over the entire field and some time to grow, and he will lead this team to a lot of wins.

Who else has some positives?

1)Sean White

2)Running backs

3)Punting

4)jumbotron

5)spirit had an unusually long flight that was enjoyable

6)my upper deck seats actually gave me a good view of how the plays unfold.

7-10)Defense

Whether the negative ninnies wanna admit it or not there was some improvement tonight and with San Jose St. and an off week coming up i think we will see more improvement coming up. All is not lost yet.

Our guys really showed improvement in getting off blocks on screens and outside runs; namely in the second half.

Sean White has swagger, is not afraid to tuck it and run, is aware of his checkdowns, and painted some happy little clouds with his balls.

Whether the negative ninnies wanna admit it or not there was some improvement tonight and with San Jose St. and an off week coming up i think we will see more improvement coming up. All is not lost yet.

Not being negative, but what are we playing for?

Likelihood of there being no teams with 1 loss in the SEC West this year is as high as ever. I seriously doubt anyone goes undefeated and at best there will be 1 team with 1 loss. Hopefully that team is bama pre-iron bowl and we can knock them off and win a tiebreaker. Or maybe we should give up and cancel all remaining games?

Pride, bowl game, improvement so we at least have a shot at our rivals? I get we are not playing for any titles but at th3 very least they can play for the future and not lay down like the 2012 team.

I'm gonna get killed for this but it's truth. I've watched Aubburn football for 30 plus years and this is who we are. Consistently inconsistent. My whole Auburn fandom we have been a roller coaster of ups and downs so why are we surprised? At least we have seen our team play for two nattys in the last five and we won one of them. I don't know why we can't be consistent but apparently it's just not in the cards. I saw improvement tonight and none of us know how this season is going to end. Maybe Gus isn't going to be the guy who wins big long term but that just puts him in line with Bowden, Tubbs and Chiz.Coach Dye had disappointing seasons too. Be negative if you like but to what end?

I'm gonna get killed for this but it's truth. I've watched Aubburn football for 30 plus years and this is who we are. Consistently inconsistent. My whole Auburn fandom we have been a roller coaster of ups and downs so why are we surprised? At least we have seen our team play for two nattys in the last five and we won one of them. I don't know why we can't be consistent but apparently it's just not in the cards. I saw improvement tonight and none of us know how this season is going to end. Maybe Gus isn't going to be the guy who wins big long term but that just puts him in line with Bowden, Tubbs and Chiz.Coach Dye had disappointing seasons too. Be negative if you like but to what end?

Very true sir.

I posted this in the Gus presser thread, but I think there is a lot of things to feel good about from last week to this week. You touched on them in the OP but we moved the ball well and Sean did a nice job for his first start. We need to improve on redzone TD production but we moved the ball well.

The defense was MUCH better, harder hitting and nobody was out there dogging it. Boom really did a good job this past week of bringing the right kind of attitude to the defense. Holding MSU to 17 points and only 3 in the entire 2nd half is excellent and good enough to win most games. You can see the beginnings of a decent defense out there.

Freaking pride and respect.

Same type of crap the announcers were pushing tonight, if Auburn loses their season is over. Talk about supporting and encouraging an attitude of being entitled and being quitters.

You play for Auburn - cause it is Auburn.

You play to improve - cause you are not satisfied with where you are now.

You play to win - cause you don't settle for losing.

You play to win - cause you don't quit. Don't want to be called quitters, read about being quitters, have every announcer, opposing fan, opposing player, and media personality calling you a quitter, your own fans and teammates calling you quitters, and look in the mirror and know they are right and you are a quitter.

You play to win - to have the same satisfaction that others have had at your expense... ******* up someones championship dreams and ego.

You play to beat your rival - cause they are your rival and its what you are suppose to do.

I mean does this really need to be asked?!?!... is this where today's athlete is. They don't want to improve, they don't have pride, no trophy equals pack it in with over half the season to go.

Or how about this one... you play to win cause you have spent years telling us that getting full rides of tuition, room and board, books, meals, etc etc are not enough cause of how much you sweat, bleed, and dedicate to the sport and the university aren't enough and deserve more. Well you got more now. So you play those last 7 games or get the **** off campus and let someone that will have that spot.

Same type of crap the announcers were pushing tonight, if Auburn loses their season is over. Talk about supporting and encouraging an attitude of being entitled and being quitters.

You play to win - cause you don't quit. Don't want to be called quitters, read about being quitters, have every announcer, opposing fan, opposing player, and media personality calling you a quitter, your own fans and teammates calling you quitters, and look in the mirror and know they are right and you are a quitter.

You play to win - to have the same satisfaction that others have had at your expense... ******* up someones championship dreams and ego.

You play to beat your rival - cause they are your rival and its what you are suppose to do.

I mean does this really need to be asked?!?!... is this where today's athlete is. They don't want to improve, they don't have pride, no trophy equals pack it in with over half the season to go.

Or how about this one... you play to win cause you have spent years telling us that getting full rides of tuition, room and board, books, meals, etc etc are not enough cause of how much you sweat, bleed, and dedicate to the sport and the university aren't enough and deserve more. Well you got more now. So you play those last 7 games or get the **** off campus and let someone that will have that spot.

Well said sir.

Guys calm down, I just wanted to gauge the general expectations of what we have left going forward. I felt most of us abandoned the likeliness of a championship after week 2, but at least we might have a SEC CG if LSU-OM-TAMU find some way to drop 2 games

I'm under no delusions that we end up in Atlanta. I do think based on some things we saw tonight that by the end of the year we could be better and beat someone(hopefully bama and/or uga) that we don't believe we can beat now. I've seen this movie before anyway, we either salvage the season by improving some and finishing 7-5 or we tank and go 4-8. Next year we either surprise everyone with a run to a championship or we tank again and have a head coaching change with lots of turmoil leading to a surprise season in the new coach's first or second year and then the cycle starts over again. It's just Auburn football.

We did make some strides last week for this weeks' game. In all actuality, Miss State did not beat us, we beat ourselves. 4 trips to the red zone without a single touchdown due to the center's mistake and one errant throw is what cost us the game tonight.

Positives

1. The defense in the second half is what we have been waiting for well for years. Muschamp has the Defense pointed in the right direction.

2. Sean White is going to be a good quarterback. We were two or three executions away in the red zone from winning this game. Stupid mistakes cost us the game.

3. Our running game is back. Is there any doubt now who the starter should be? After the starter, both Roc and Kerryon look good.

Downsides

1. The offensive line has got to learn how to pick up blitzes. On at least two plays Sean was left out to dry.

2. Gus should have taken chances down the field, despite two safeties. If we would have line up for wide outs and sent two long, guarantee you one would have been open.

Summation

Even though we lost, this game showed we can line up and play. Fix the stupid things, let Sean get a little more experience, and we may win 8 or 9 games this season and be prepared for next year. Lawson coming back will complete what Boom has started on D.

Guys calm down, I just wanted to gauge the general expectations of what we have left going forward. I felt most of us abandoned the likeliness of a championship after week 2, but at least we might have a SEC CG if LSU-OM-TAMU find some way to drop 2 games

Sorry, just strikes a nerve with me. More about the announcers... you know they show the replay of lack of effort in the LSU game and trash it.... then they turn around and say lose this and the season is over with nothing to play for.

My expectations for the rest of the season is this..... work like hell to improve..... we aren't going to the championship game or playoffs, but do our damned best to screw all our remaining opponents chances also, make LSU and MSU be glad they played us when they did, and most importantly make it so that clip of Fords effort against LSU is never shown again unless it is done to put emphasis on the fact that that team no longer exists.

Already at this point in the season, only about half dozen teams or so are playing for the championship......the rest are playing for the reasons that Texan outlined above......though perhaps some/many have quit on their fans and their team mates or will do so soon. It will be interesting to see how Oregon responds to the total thrashing they got last night....considering they were a team with play-off hopes too.

For the fifty or so years that I've been part of AU, those objectives that Texan listed were what the game was about. JMO but playing for the championship is the by-product or end result of playing the game for the many good reasons Texan offered.

I'm hoping that the focus and expectations for the play-offs this year don't become the reason that this team packs it in now that the championships are out of the picture. There are too many good reasons for them to continue to give their best, improve their performance and represent AU with pride.

Very well put texas

Awesome post TforA!

For you to STHU

We can still play for a 10-3 season, which would be a tremendous accomplishment and would give us an opportunity next year for back-to-back 10-win seasons for the first time in 25 years.

Archived