Upon Further Review - MSU Postgame

StatTiger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy your stats and analysis Stat, but I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, just asking an honest question. Look at the film from last night with SW, was he the reason for those numbers on offense, or was it because Miss. State was allowing Auburn to get these short passes, knowing that SW is not a threat. You saw what happened when they decided to pin their ears back, the same thing with JJ. And by the way, what could it hurt in giving Jason Smith a few series? I never said anything about benching SW, I said White is not a fit for the offense that can win championships. I agree with another poster on another thread. I feel as if Auburn fans have such low expectations at QB because of JJ, that SW's average play is considered unbelievable and phenomenal (embellishing a little, but you get my drift). And better yet, still didn't produce a TD Drive. You telling me Jason Smith couldn't run a variation of what NM did here, and not at least do better? Because, I know you have to agree with me on this at least, a QB that can run is much harder for a defense to prepare and you have to account for everyone, whereas a QB, like SW, is not a threat for the defense, and becomes a disadvantage for an offense like we have. All I'm saying is what would it really hurt to try a few series with Jason Smith?

IMO, too much subbing going on as it is, especially for an offense trying to find it's identity. I think we should single out our most consistent players, schemes and plays and build a solid game plan around the base offense. When that becomes consistent, then add all the fluffy stuff.

I agree with the playcalling and substitution issues, which are killing drives. However, what would it hurt to put Jason in there for a series if the offense isn't producing points? NM and Cam's athletic ability I believe covered up a lot of the poor play-calling at times while they were here, and who's to say Jason couldn't do the same, because he is very athletic. Heck, look at that Louisville True Freshman QB who ran all over us. Why not just try something like that? As I see it, all teams have to do is look at this game to prepare for SW, and it's pretty much game over for us unless everything gets cleaned up really quickly, and SW becomes an athletic QB.

Again.... IMO, this team doesn't need more gimic solutions. This team got a very good spark from SW operating the actual offense. The limited time available needs to be spent on correcting and improving the base offense. The coaches are looking at long term solutions and not a quick fix.

Thank god

But see, this still doesn't answer my question. Is it just coincidence that our best years under Gus have been with QBs who are dual threat QBs, a threat to run with playmaking ability and enough passing for defenses to respect, or is it a necessity for Gus to have that? I think the Stats don't lie, that Gus NEEDS a dual threat QB in order for us to compete in the SEC and win championships. QBs like SW, who's just a more mobile QB than Chris Todd, will get us to 8-9 wins more than likely every year, but, as history has shown us, for this offense to work at the highest level, it needs a true dual threat QB. Which begs the question, why not give Jason Smith a series or two against SJSU? All I'm saying is, just like with JJ, I'm not buying that Gus can win a championship with SW, a pocket passer. Can Gus win with a pocket passer, yes, but only so far, ahem 8-9 wins. But, with a NM-type QB, the sky's the limit. So, again, is it just coincidence that our offense is only lethal with dual threat QBs?

Guest WarEagleSteve

I really enjoy your stats and analysis Stat, but I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, just asking an honest question. Look at the film from last night with SW, was he the reason for those numbers on offense, or was it because Miss. State was allowing Auburn to get these short passes, knowing that SW is not a threat. You saw what happened when they decided to pin their ears back, the same thing with JJ. And by the way, what could it hurt in giving Jason Smith a few series? I never said anything about benching SW, I said White is not a fit for the offense that can win championships. I agree with another poster on another thread. I feel as if Auburn fans have such low expectations at QB because of JJ, that SW's average play is considered unbelievable and phenomenal (embellishing a little, but you get my drift). And better yet, still didn't produce a TD Drive. You telling me Jason Smith couldn't run a variation of what NM did here, and not at least do better? Because, I know you have to agree with me on this at least, a QB that can run is much harder for a defense to prepare and you have to account for everyone, whereas a QB, like SW, is not a threat for the defense, and becomes a disadvantage for an offense like we have. All I'm saying is what would it really hurt to try a few series with Jason Smith?

IMO, too much subbing going on as it is, especially for an offense trying to find it's identity. I think we should single out our most consistent players, schemes and plays and build a solid game plan around the base offense. When that becomes consistent, then add all the fluffy stuff.

I agree with the playcalling and substitution issues, which are killing drives. However, what would it hurt to put Jason in there for a series if the offense isn't producing points? NM and Cam's athletic ability I believe covered up a lot of the poor play-calling at times while they were here, and who's to say Jason couldn't do the same, because he is very athletic. Heck, look at that Louisville True Freshman QB who ran all over us. Why not just try something like that? As I see it, all teams have to do is look at this game to prepare for SW, and it's pretty much game over for us unless everything gets cleaned up really quickly, and SW becomes an athletic QB.

Again.... IMO, this team doesn't need more gimic solutions. This team got a very good spark from SW operating the actual offense. The limited time available needs to be spent on correcting and improving the base offense. The coaches are looking at long term solutions and not a quick fix.

Thank god

But see, this still doesn't answer my question. Is it just coincidence that our best years under Gus have been with QBs who are dual threat QBs, a threat to run with playmaking ability and enough passing for defenses to respect, or is it a necessity for Gus to have that? I think the Stats don't lie, that Gus NEEDS a dual threat QB in order for us to compete in the SEC and win championships. QBs like SW, who's just a more mobile QB than Chris Todd, will get us to 8-9 wins more than likely every year, but, as history has shown us, for this offense to work at the highest level, it needs a true dual threat QB. Which begs the question, why not give Jason Smith a series or two against SJSU? All I'm saying is, just like with JJ, I'm not buying that Gus can win a championship with SW, a pocket passer. Can Gus win with a pocket passer, yes, but only so far, ahem 8-9 wins. But, with a NM-type QB, the sky's the limit. So, again, is it just coincidence that our offense is only lethal with dual threat QBs?

2010 and 2013 also had talented, veteran offensive lines that executed at a high level and quality depth and experience at the skill positions. The Malzahn-led Arkansas offense of 2006 had Mitch Mustain at quarterback and won the SEC West because of the play of the offensive line and quality experienced depth at the skill positions. Gus doesn't need a mobile quarterback for the offense to work. He needs the same thing any other offense needs: consistent play from the offensive line and skill positions. We've had neither this year and for THAT reason, the offense is struggling. If you want to quibble with the decisions Gus has made regarding the offense, his ultra-conservative play-calling is a more sensible target than your incessant tilting at the dual threat quarterback windmill.

Thank god

I proved this argument wrong in another thread...so I guess we abandoned that thread and aimed at a different one? And you are trying to get a different answer from Stat...while I already provided basic stats to prove the dual threat qb deal isn't accurate, stat has made threads regarding this same thing I believe and has many more stats than I to prove it. Let's just hope he shares them ;D

Thank god

2010 and 2013 also had talented, veteran offensive lines that executed at a high level and quality depth and experience at the skill positions. The Malzahn-led Arkansas offense of 2006 had Mitch Mustain at quarterback and won the SEC West because of the play of the offensive line and quality experienced depth at the skill positions. Gus doesn't need a mobile quarterback for the offense to work. He needs the same thing any other offense needs: consistent play from the offensive line and skill positions. We've had neither this year and for THAT reason, the offense is struggling. If you want to quibble with the decisions Gus has made regarding the offense, his ultra-conservative play-calling is a more sensible target than your incessant tilting at the dual threat quarterback windmill.

Oh ,ok. Yea, you're right. So, without a Cam and NM, we would have still won 2 SEC championships and a National Title? Got it. I really hope you don't believe this. NM came in 2013 with an offensive line that was terrible in 2012, but yea, if SW or Chris Todd was there in 2013, we would have won the SEC and gone to the National Title. Or in 2010, I agree, Cam benefited from great role players and surrounding cast as well, but do you honestly believe we win the national title without him? You think Clint Mosely or Barrett Trotter would have it as well? Since, you know, you are arguing how Gus' offense is capable of winning championships without a dual threat QB. And by the way, that Arkansas team still lost 4 games and had 3 first round running backs, but yea. Do you not think if they had a NM or dual threat type QB, they would have won the SEC, maybe even more? You can't argue with facts. Fact: Gus' most successful offenses have been with QBs who are dual threats, and those teams have won championships in those years. Yes, I understand the supporting cast helps, but having a dual threat QB in this offense makes this offense almost entirely...

I expect there has been some kind of explanation in the hundreds of posts since last night...did not read them all but don't recall seeing a comment about Jovon....and when we might see him in action. We seem to have an army of RBs but curious about him since many of us thought he would be the "man" this year.

I really hope to see two things moving forward:

1) More passing on first down, especially early in the game; and

2) A much improved pass rush -- even if that means taking more chances and blitzing more.

Agree on both. Why not blitz more? Risk/reward type deal. Either we blitz and give up a big play and the other team scores or we sit back and it's death by a thousand cuts all the way down the field and they score.

I think you just said it. There's risk reward to both. With the young guys in the secondary, and a mobile veteran quarterback, Muschamp probably thought his best best bet was to stay conservative. I thought his gameplan was good. Dak had all day to throw in the first half, but we tightened up in the second half, only allowing 3 points.

But see, this still doesn't answer my question.

Dude... I have laid it out as simple as possible but for some reason you believe tossing Jason Smith in the offense is going to suddenly help. I'm not debating the dual-threat QB dispute in Gus Malzahn's offense. I initially responded to why he is not playing that role in the 2015 offense. You have already convinced yourself that dual-threat QB is the way to go in the Malzahn offense, so let's leave that topic alone.

As for Jason Smith... THAT IS A NO-GO and not even an option the coaching staff is considering. Regardless of what you might think, there are not a lot players like Marshall and Newton growing on trees. Is Smith a dynamic athlete? Yes he is and the coaching staff realizes this. Did they give him a look at QB as they promised? Yes they did. Though they saw some positives in his play, they did not see him as a serious option to play QB in this offense.

Do we need to give him a series to see what he can do? NO... he is not a quarterback in this offense this year. Could we see him at wildcat? Maybe.

The coaching staff believes Sean White for now, gives Auburn the best option moving forward. They are having to start all over with a QB change in mid-season and there was nothing in White's performance (his first mind you) that warrants making another QB change at any level (giving one series to third QB). Their time and effort need to be focused on preparing Sean White these next two weeks before AU returns to conference play.

Their goals on offense and defense are primarily geared towards the long term and short term solutions or gimmicks are not an option.

If you don't understand this or don't agree, it doesn't mean the coaches are doing something wrong. I can assure you, if Jason Smith was viewed by the offensive coaches as being another Nick Marshall or Cam Newton he would have remained at the QB position from spring camp.

Thank god

I proved this argument wrong in another thread...so I guess we abandoned that thread and aimed at a different one? And you are trying to get a different answer from Stat...while I already provided basic stats to prove the dual threat qb deal isn't accurate, stat has made threads regarding this same thing I believe and has many more stats than I to prove it. Let's just hope he shares them ;D

What are you talking you've proven me wrong? In no way have I ever said Gus' offense didn't work. I said in order for this offense to reach it's potential and in order for us to win championships, Gus NEEDS a dual threat qb, like a Cam and NM. Go ahead, look at those stats and championships compared to the Tulsas and offenses at Auburn without a dual threat QB. I'll take Cam and NM offenses, and you can take the other Gus offenses, and let me know which one is more successful, deal? Since you're so dead on to prove me wrong, I want to see how many championships those offenses had.

Dude... I have laid it out as simple as possible but for some reason you believe tossing Jason Smith in the offense is going to suddenly help. I'm not debating the dual-threat QB dispute in Gus Malzahn's offense. I initially responded to why he is not playing that role in the 2015 offense. You have already convinced yourself that dual-threat QB is the way to go in the Malzahn offense, so let's leave that topic alone.

As for Jason Smith... THAT IS A NO-GO and not even an option the coaching staff is considering. Regardless of what you might think, there are not a lot players like Marshall and Newton growing on trees. Is Smith a dynamic athlete? Yes he is and the coaching staff realizes this. Did they give him a look at QB as they promised? Yes they did. Though they saw some positives in his play, they did not see him as a serious option to play QB in this offense.

Do we need to give him a series to see what he can do? NO... he is not a quarterback in this offense this year. Could we see him at wildcat? Maybe.

The coaching staff believes Sean White for now, gives Auburn the best option moving forward. They are having to start all over with a QB change in mid-season and there was nothing in White's performance (his first mind you) that warrants making another QB change at any level (giving one series to third QB). Their time and effort need to be focused on preparing Sean White these next two weeks before AU returns to conference play.

Their goals on offense and defense are primarily geared towards the long term and short term solutions or gimmicks are not an option.

If you don't understand this or don't agree, it doesn't mean the coaches are doing something wrong. I can assure you, if Jason Smith was viewed by the offensive coaches as being another Nick Marshall or Cam Newton he would have remained at the QB position from spring camp.

Great breakdown Stat but you may hve to write it in crayon for some folks.

In no way have I ever said Gus' offense didn't work. I said in order for this offense to reach it's potential and in order for us to win championships, Gus NEEDS a dual threat qb, like a Cam and NM.

That might be true, but we don't have that guy on our roster. We just don't. That's the bottom line.

In no way have I ever said Gus' offense didn't work. I said in order for this offense to reach it's potential and in order for us to win championships, Gus NEEDS a dual threat qb, like a Cam and NM.

That might be true, but we don't have that guy on our roster. We just don't. That's the bottom line.

See, I understand that and I believe that Gus needs a dual threat QB to reach it's potential and win championships, hence why I'm saying SW is not the answer and why I asked what would it hurt to try Jason Smith? By the way, look in the recruiting forum about what Jason Smith's "chance" at QB, where his high school coach stated the same thing I have heard as well, that Jason Smith was never given a chance in the first place.

See, I understand that and I believe that Gus needs a dual threat QB to reach it's potential and win championships, hence why I'm saying SW is not the answer and why I asked what would it hurt to try Jason Smith? By the way, look in the recruiting forum about what Jason Smith's "chance" at QB, where his high school coach stated the same thing I have heard as well, that Jason Smith was never given a chance in the first place.

It would hurt because Jason Smith is a worse option than Sean White. That's what this comes down to. I don't know what you think that Jason Smith is, but I can tell you. He's a wide receiver. He does not give our team the best chance to win. That ship sailed back in the spring.

Thank god

I proved this argument wrong in another thread...so I guess we abandoned that thread and aimed at a different one? And you are trying to get a different answer from Stat...while I already provided basic stats to prove the dual threat qb deal isn't accurate, stat has made threads regarding this same thing I believe and has many more stats than I to prove it. Let's just hope he shares them ;D/>

What are you talking you've proven me wrong? In no way have I ever said Gus' offense didn't work. I said in order for this offense to reach it's potential and in order for us to win championships, Gus NEEDS a dual threat qb, like a Cam and NM. Go ahead, look at those stats and championships compared to the Tulsas and offenses at Auburn without a dual threat QB. I'll take Cam and NM offenses, and you can take the other Gus offenses, and let me know which one is more successful, deal? Since you're so dead on to prove me wrong, I want to see how many championships those offenses had.

Great points!!! Offensive coaches look better with Cam Newton type athletes.

Lot's of variables are missing. 2010 Cam had a great offensive line and a defense that created turnovers and good field position. Not to mention, alot of the SEC teams on our schedule in 2010 were not at their best.

In 2013 NM had Tre and a very descent halfback to block for them.

The few things that I pull from the 2010 and 2013 teams is the returning veterans, seniors, and quality depth at all positions. People laughed me out of rooms in 2012 because they thought I was just making excuses but I loved that almost every player from that horrible year was coming back in 2013.

2012... Even with Cam, NM, and GUS on the same field we would not have won the SEC. A good bowl game but no title.

Thanks for the info stat. I just wish pre-season the coaches would have played down our team being a good/great team. We lost a lot of playmakers on Offense (and the two who were supposed to be NFL drafts look like busts) then our D is young and under a new coach. I think everyone had high expectations when we shouldn't have. Future does look bright. A lot of the young players are playing hard and giving it their all. War Eagle!

Why is it bama is never young? or Ohio St. can reload every year? Why can't we do that?

Thank god

I proved this argument wrong in another thread...so I guess we abandoned that thread and aimed at a different one? And you are trying to get a different answer from Stat...while I already provided basic stats to prove the dual threat qb deal isn't accurate, stat has made threads regarding this same thing I believe and has many more stats than I to prove it. Let's just hope he shares them ;D/>

Lot's of variables are missing. 2010 Cam had a great offensive line and a defense that created turnovers and good field position. Not to mention, alot of the SEC teams on our schedule in 2010 were not at their best.

The few things that I pull from the 2010 and 2013 teams is the returning veterans, seniors, and quality depth at all positions. People laughed me out of rooms in 2012 because they thought I was just making excuses but I loved that almost every player from that horrible year was coming back in 2013.

2012... Even with Cam, NM, and GUS on the same field we would not have won the SEC. A good bowl game but no title.

Ok, tell me this. Let's take last year. Put SW or Chris Todd on Ohio State. Do they win the national championship? Or this year, Ole Miss vs. Bama? Put Lambert in for Chad Kelly, does Ole Miss win? Only team that QBs don't really matter as much is UAt because of their defense. Oh, by the way. Put Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter on the 2010 or 2013 team, how do we do, since it seems like it wouldn't matter to you who was QB on those teams anyways....

Thanks Dude. We'll agree to disagree!

Ok I am a nobody when it comes to football abilities but what I saw made me think SW is not that bad of runner and could handle more option runs, Just saying , my opinion and 5 dollars will buy you a drink at a game.

Thank god

What are you talking you've proven me wrong? In no way have I ever said Gus' offense didn't work. I said in order for this offense to reach it's potential and in order for us to win championships, Gus NEEDS a dual threat qb, like a Cam and NM.

That's just not true. Sorry. His offense at Tulsa was top 3 in the country while he was there. That should be proof enough. The players he got at Tulsa are right on par with the players his conference opponents would get which makes it a fair comparison regardless of how much you want to just dismiss it.

Go ahead, look at those stats and championships compared to the Tulsas and offenses at Auburn without a dual threat QB.

It takes a lot more than just a QB to win a championship. Tulsa will never be taken seriously as a championship contender so to compare them in that way is ludicrous. Want to see Auburn's championships without a dual threat QB, check out 2004. How about 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989 and throw in 1993 (since we won every game). None of those had dual threat QB's but they were all championship teams. It takes a complete TEAM to win a title. Our offensive line in 2010 was the best in the country. Our offensive line in 2013 blew opponents off the ball every game. We had solid WR's that made plays. Go back to the titles in the 80's. Those were mostly the result of terrific defense not a dual threat QB.

I'll take Cam and NM offenses, and you can take the other Gus offenses, and let me know which one is more successful, deal? Since you're so dead on to prove me wrong, I want to see how many championships those offenses had.

Again, it takes more than just a QB to make a championship team. It doesn't matter what type of QB you have if you don't have anything to support him. Right now, we are deficient in several areas. You can prefer the dual threat QB offenses all you want, ( I loved them too) but it doesn't mean for one second that Gus' offense absolutely HAS to have a dual threat QB to be successful. Jason Smith just isn't a viable option and isn't likely to happen.

Thank god

Ok, tell me this. Let's take last year. Put SW or Chris Todd on Ohio State. Do they win the national championship? Or this year, Ole Miss vs. Bama? Put Lambert in for Chad Kelly, does Ole Miss win? Only team that QBs don't really matter as much is UAt because of their defense. Oh, by the way. Put Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter on the 2010 or 2013 team, how do we do, since it seems like it wouldn't matter to you who was QB on those teams anyways....

Ole Miss won last year with Bo Wallace.

Thank god

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? There was nothing in my post that suggested QBs don't matter. We signed the highest rated Juco qb for a reason. Gus was looking for the next NM but I trust the spark for Smith was just not there or he would be starting at QB. If Sean White wins out every game for the rest of the year Gus would still sign the next Cam. Problem is 80% of the FBS is looking for the next Cam too. In the meantime can we just let Sean White get a few more snaps. We have no idea his potential as he grows as a college QB. Even Cam and NM were allowed to get some gametime in Juco before their first Auburn snap.

BUT since you asked, a senior Chris Todd and a fully healthy Trotter would have done well with the 2010 Auburn team. It would have looked different but just as deadly in different ways. (Do you think Trotter was pig slop before his injuries?) The offense evolved around Cam in 2010. Cam was not a heisman if Gus had stayed with the same gameplan he had for Todd.

The 2013 0ffensive line was all world at run blocking and average at pass protection. Chris Todd nor Trotter would have had the same success as NM.

His logic: Auburn can only win championships with a dual threat qb. Sean White is not a dual threat qb. Therefore, Auburn will not win a championship with Sean White.

Even if that were all true, we don't have a viable dual threat option at QB. So this is all pointless.

Archived