Who is doing the Play-Calling?

AU-24

Many of us figure we are paying Gus for his game planning and play calling....just wondering if that is what is going on?

Let's make no mistake about it... We pay Gus to put a championship caliber Auburn "TEAM" on the field every week.

That's true....just wondering about the sudden death of our offense....though as you note...the bottom line is what really matters.

Well, now we know.

Sudden death of our offense = no HUNH and three pro style QB's

No. RL isn't getting along with DC & Grimes. Both DC & Grimes want Gus to do some things different & RL disagrees. RL should have taken the Samford job last year like he was asked to do. All in all this is on Gus letting all of this come to a head. I'd bet that RL isn't here next year. Gus had better watch it himself. He is paid 4m and is putting on a "Sh** show" from some of the PTB at AU. FWIW.

The D is what it is. We should have known better that CWM wasn't going to work miracles in his first year. The D did look better aginst state and will look better as the year goes on. IMO.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure wish Rhett and Gus had experience calling plays for the offense and a record of success behind their names. We should probably fire them and recruit one of you fine message board posters with your two years of coaching pony league up to make the calls.

People are just abusing this sort of commentary at this point.

removed

I sure wish Rhett and Gus had experience calling plays for the offense and a record of success behind their names. We should probably fire them and recruit one of you fine message board posters with your two years of coaching pony league up to make the calls.

People are just abusing this sort of commentary at this point.

removed.

Good call.

Btw, does anybody else think that Gus has a little social awkwardness about him? Evidenced by the weird concentration on one subject, the trouble he has with interviews, eye contact issues, etc. Just wondering if anyone else sees it...I could be way off.

I've noticed the social awkwardness. I just always think of him as a huge nerd though. I think that's why people have always called him an offensive genius, a guru, a savant of offense...........until the s*** went south last year. I wonder if the old slogan "Auburn Fast" splattered all over the billboards a couple of years ago was a jinx?

I feel sure that it is not God calling the plays.

chimesAU, on Today, 07:05 PM, said:

We can't all be as cool as you.

Do tell what success Rhett Lashlee has "behind his name".

What does Lashlee have behind is name? The same thing as Kiirby Smart

A history successful offensive output everywhere he has been.

There is this ridiculous notion around this board that 4 games into the season that suddenly coaches have forgotten how to call plays or are suddenly incompetent. Its baffling

Where's he been that Gus hasn't? What's "behind" HIS name?

Pretty hilarious that Kirby Smart was the example chosen. Maybe some next level sarcasm that shabby's gonna ride until it dies?

This is something that has been a concern of mine ever since we went the Co-OC route. One clearly has far more experience playing with/against other elite talent than the other, and has experienced other systems besides Gus'. It doesn't mean that Rhett can't do the job, but if he isn't willing to listen to those with more experience, it will be a mistake.

And he doesn't think he needs the input or want the input. But you know this already. :beer2:

Well that would answer a LOT of questions. IMO it's an untenable situation and the obvious solution is either Lashlee start accepting help from Craig and Grimes or get demoted or fired. Let Gus call plays.if need be.

where has smart been with saban? Even Bammers don't call for his head after a piss poor year last year

where has smart been with saban? Even Bammers don't call for his head after a piss poor year last year

So, since they're not calling for his head after a disastrous 2 loss playoff year, we can't be unhappy with Lashlee? Why even bring Smart into this? You do realize we interviewed Smart for our head coaching position, right? Rhett isn't exactly having to beat major D1 head coaching opportunities away with a stick.

I'm sorry, I must be mis-reading this. It appears that you are referring to a "piss poor year" as playing in the college football playoff for a chance at another NC???

I'm sorry, I must be mis-reading this. It appears that you are referring to a "piss poor year" as playing in the college football playoff for a chance at another NC???

Ouch

Archived