Why are we having problems scoring points???

tigerman1186

I know a lot of you are going to place the blame on our QB play….but when you look at the past several seasons it seems we're having problems scoring consistently….have teams figured us out??? What seemed to work in the past doesn't seems to see the same success….who would have ever thought we would not score a TD in a game…where did the 30 points a game go???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of you are going to place the blame on our QB play….but when you look at the past several seasons it seems we're having problems scoring consistently….have teams figured us out??? What seemed to work in the past doesn't seems to see the same success….who would have ever thought we would not score a TD in a game…where did the 30 points a game go???

I will start and leave with only one comment.

We play in the SEC.

I'd be willing to bet that in three to four weeks we are back to averaging 30 points a game. The breakdowns in the redzone were a multitude of problems. Some were rookie qb (1st drive) some were Oline getting inopportune penalties, one was the center making a bad snap, and one or two was playcalling. So Inthink we had 6 red zone trips. I think 4 were execution and 2 were playcalling. Could be wrong but that's how I remember it anyways. Gus does tend to get too cute in the red zone (or Rhett?). If we just hand the ball to PB 4 times in a row we probably score 3 tds last night and everyone on this board is talking natty again. Football sure is a fickle game

Simple... We've had a brutal schedule. It doesn't get any tougher than Louisville, JSU, LSU and Miss St to start the season. I wouldn't wish that start to a schedule on my worst enemy.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Past several years? We averaged 39 points a game in 2013 and 35 points a game in 2014. We're averaging 22 this year, largely because of bad quarterback play and inconsistent offensive line play. Also, the playcalling has been inconsistent to put it mildly, though I would attribute that to Gus having to blow up his entire scheme for this year and start over after week 2.

Play calling is a big reason why we're not scoring. You don't call for a pass when your at the 4 yard line. You give the ball to your best runner and get 6.

It's a mixed bag. Poor to just plain crappy offensive play calling, poor QB development on the part of Lashley/Malzhan to get JJ ready, oline is inconsistent and undisciplined, Duke not giving 100% (and it is very noticeable), Gus/Rhett's offense is predictable and the SEC defensive coaches have pretty much figured it out since we've freaking lost our last 5 SEC match-ups. >:(

Simple... We've had a brutal schedule. It doesn't get any tougher than Louisville, JSU, LSU and Miss St to start the season. I wouldn't wish that start to a schedule on my worst enemy.

Schedule isn't an excuse. Louisville is not a good team and JSU is FCS. MSU lost almost its entire team last year.

LSU is legit and in hindsight a loss was to be expected there. We should be 3-1, but we screwed up in the redzone too much on Saturday. Kids are going to make mistakes, and we had 2 bad ones at the goal line. You just have to accept it and hope they are growth points.

As far as the JJ substitution, which allowed MSU to call the timeout -- I understand the point some have made about how going tempo would have been wiser, but it isn't like a goal line QB substitution is unprecedented. UF won a championship like that in 2006, subbing out Chris Leak for Tebow.

How did the substitution "allow" them to call a timeout?

In the redzone I think it's more about the details and the little things than the qb. On one drive we messed up we actually had great production on the first down play....It's hard to mess up the score when you get 5 to 6 yards on first down. We have to learn how to finish

Conservative and dumb playcalling, not able to get into a rhythm, soft OL. 2/3 of these can be fixed so let's hope they do!!

To begin with, staying in the shotgun with the ball on the 1 yard line is just plain nuts. Gus tries to be cute when at some point you have to tighten up the chin straps, go Pat Dye on them, and ram it down their throats. That would be the time.

Hmmm, interesting you are using the brutal schedule as an excuse for AU's poor performance. I have seen this excuse yet.

To begin with, staying in the shotgun with the ball on the 1 yard line is just plain nuts. Gus tries to be cute when at some point you have to tighten up the chin straps, go Pat Dye on them, and ram it down their throats. That would be the time.

You call that being "cute". I call it being dumb.

I don't think we have a package we run in goal line situations in which the QB is under center. It's just not Gus' style

We don't work on snapping the ball or taking a snap from under center. AU is not the only team that has this problem but it's a big problem for any offense that stays in the shotgun all the time. Your goal line offense suffers. I'm not sure why this is not something that can be worked on in practice for situational needs but it just adds to the fact that we are not operating a very sophisticated offense.

I don't think we have a package we run in goal line situations in which the QB is under center. It's just not Gus' style

Gus' style is more than a little stale and more importantly ineffective these days.

Gus' style is more than a little stale and more importantly ineffective these days.

Lol trust me I'm right there with you but coaches are often set in their ways. Even if it's a detriment to their team.

Hmmm, interesting you are using the brutal schedule as an excuse for AU's poor performance. I have seen this excuse yet.

You'll see! You'll see how good these teams are. Louisville's going to be the surprise team in the ACC (you haven't heard that before?), JSU is going to win the Ohio Valley conference (this either?), LSU might win the SECW and Miss St. might be runner up. You can't blame the players because they're too young and inexperienced to know what the heck they're suppose to be doing. You can't blame our coaching staff because they haven't had time to gel together yet. It's way to early to blame the video scoreboard. We just have to be patient.

What about the one we used to run immediately after a first down?!?

Lol the one where we pitch it to the outside? If I notice that is coming based on the sugar huddle 80% of the time I'm pretty sure DCs also know it

I thought we occasionally run plays from under center when they run that huddle right at the LOS.

But it is a fact that many HS QBs have never worked under center...but once in college that can be dealt with. Seems that there are times when having the RB run forward 6 yards to make just one yard is putting the team at a disadvantage.

https://vine.co/v/exLn3htYVJ5

Interesting vine. If Barber had the vision to stay right, we would have scored. The right side of the line did a fantastic job.

not just vision, he simply went the wrong way. the h-back motioned to the right side, we had the wildcat package with the LT at RTE and Kozan pulled from LG to the right side. that play was designed to follow Kozan. barber took the ball and plowed into the only place that could have stopped him.

https://vine.co/v/exLn3htYVJ5

Interesting vine. If Barber had the vision to stay right, we would have scored. The right side of the line did a fantastic job.

not just vision, he simply went the wrong way. the h-back motioned to the right side, we had the wildcat package with the LT at RTE and Kozan pulled from LG to the right side. that play was designed to follow Kozan. barber took the ball and plowed into the only place that could have stopped him.

Can't blame that one on the play call or the O-line, for sure.

:no:

Archived