Tiger Talk - San Jose State Edition

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

Gus: "There's some things we can build upon. Obviously we're disappointed."

Gus on Sean White: "The moment wasn't too big for him. He showed some toughness. He showed some grit."

Gus on explosive plays: "We have to have more explosive plays. ... We've yet to get in that rhythm. We have to figure that out."

Gus says he feels good about "the plan moving forward" in terms of getting explosive plays. Sounds familiar.

Gus asked about opposing defenses knowing what plays Auburn was going to call: "We've got to do a good job every week disguising things"

Gus: "We've got to use our tendencies against them."

Gus on White's challenges as a short QB: "My experience is some guys have good vision... Sean is one of those guys who sees the field well"

Gus says Duke Williams has been a focal point the last few weeks ... but they haven't been able to get the ball to him enough.

Gus says Saturday was the first time he felt the offense was in rhythm. Multiple drives of 10-plus plays. Still need to finish, though

@AUBlog

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Tiger Talk in review of Saturday: "Our defense played its best game. Our defense did a great job"

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says running back Peyton Barber "has been our workhorse. He's impressed coaches and his teammates with his toughness."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Sean White: "He runs the football better than most people think."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Sean White, the passer: "I thought he did a good job for the first time out going through his progressions."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn: "I still feel very strongly that this team will finish strong."

@AUGoldMine

and yet knowing this about the the other coaches didn't seem to matter..this team has no excuses other than injuries

Herb asks about defenses knowing what Auburn is going to run before the snap: "I think that's a challenge every week. The fact that Week 2 we had one of our former assistants as a defensive coordinator. The week before we had one of our former players (at Louisville). ... We've got to do a good job every week disguising things."

On second down from the 2(the series where we put JJ in on 3rd) You could read Gus's lips on TV saying run the same play. The TV camera zoomed in on Gus often. I hope someone makes him aware.

*** "Duke (Williams) has been a focal point the last few weeks." At times they've had trouble getting the ball to him.

not enough pass protection

On second down from the 2(the series where we put JJ in on 3rd) You could read Gus's lips on TV saying run the same play. The TV camera zoomed in on Gus often. I hope someone makes him aware.

why isn't he already aware? This should be no surprise, other than running the same play again

and this is interesting

On defense's plan to not rush Dak Prescott much and contain him from running: "I thought Will (Muschamp) did a great job and I thought he had a good plan."

why isn't he already aware? This should be no surprise, other than running the same play again

and this is interesting

On defense's plan to not rush Dak Prescott much and contain him from running: "I thought Will (Muschamp) did a great job and I thought he had a good plan."

And it worked. Held them to 17 points, which after LSU was a hell of a game. General question here...how good does everyone feel LSUs defense is? We played MSU on D better than they did which was a nice surprise.

There were some situations in the game that we failed to execute well enough to get into the end zone and had to go for field goals. The first drive of the game looked like the old Auburn of 2013, and was fun to watch it unfold. If we could have punched it in for a TD, the whole game could have changed. I think that SW will be a much improved QB for the SJS game.

We need to come out strong and make a statement that we are going to win this game and will do it in a big way. I think that some folks on this board forget that LSU had a huge bulls eye on our game, of which we got their absolute best for most of the game. It was a 180 degree with us being in their cross hair since last season. If we had played the LSU team that played last Saturday in Syracuse, would could have very well won the game.

Anyhow, it is what it is, and we need to focus on one game at a time and give each game our absolute best without question.

The full tiger talk notes on AL.Com talked about Gus and him further explaining the TAMU loss and it's impact.

Even a random guy that doesn't really watch football has been seeing Auburn since that game and could tell we haven't really recovered. That was a depressing ass loss, but I really want this program to get over that hump caused a year ago

The full tiger talk notes on AL.Com talked about Gus and him further explaining the TAMU loss and it's impact.

Even a random guy that doesn't really watch football has been seeing Auburn since that game and could tell we haven't really recovered. That was a depressing ass loss, but I really want this program to get over that hump caused a year ago

I've never understood that and all the sports I've played never experienced it, but there is no way losing to them last year has anything to do with how wr play now

I've never understood that and all the sports I've played never experienced it, but there is no way losing to them last year has anything to do with how wr play now

Idk maybe it's a crutch, but the program at least record and stats wise has been in shambles since then. I want a turnaround at some point

Well as far as last year our toughest opponents are at the end of the season. This year guys that are starting and playing for the first time don't know how to win it seems

Cole, last year State and Ole Miss were both as good or better than Georgia and Bama. OM feel apart after we broke Treadwell. Before that, they were playing great football. A&M cost us the UGA game at the very least. We no-showed.

I'm with you though. I don't understand how it could still have an impact on this group.

Different styles and different match up problems. But I didn't disagree that it may have affected last year's team especially maybe the next game but I said I didn't understand it since I haven't ever experienced a loss messing up an entire season.

I also don't understand when people say one person getting in trouble with a coach or the law can mess up a team either but that's just my opinion.

Different styles and different match up problems. But I didn't disagree that it may have affected last year's team especially maybe the next game but I said I didn't understand it since I haven't ever experienced a loss messing up an entire season.

I also don't understand when people say one person getting in trouble with a coach or the law can mess up a team either but that's just my opinion.

agree with second paragraph for sure. The AnM loss certainly affected the next game, and set the collapse in motion. I won't use it to excuse this current slow start.

Archived