Jay Jacobs

PatBoCamRob

How do you firing the baseball coach was for cause if Jacobs will not talk about it? I've been told Sonny has hired a lawyer and their going after for firing him cause he said he didn't do anything wrong to cause JJ to fire him.

Someone told you something and you listened? I'm not buying it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

While you make some good points (although on the baseball forum and trickling down to lesser media sources is the reason the baseball coach was fired...Jay had cause), Auburn is more competitive across the board in all sports than it has been in awhile. Gymnastics coming off a Super 6, Men's golf #1 in the nation, Softball Women's CWS, Baseball making it back to a regional, basketball enjoying the benefit of a competent coach for the first time in a decade....I could go on.

Where Jay has backed himself into a corner, as many have mentioned, is with his tendency to give the world to any football coach who has one good season.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here, I don't go threw much here and stick mostly the the recruiting fourm, but Gus got a huge extension and a huge buyout before the season started. JJ, thinking AU would be 4 and 0, was set to announce this at the SJS game. Don't think he will go public now. The buyout is near 14M right now. FWIW.

wde....you have got to be sh**in' me?....please tell me that you are just joking!!!...you ain't much of a comedian cause that joke ain't funny!....he did what?....I didn't want that bumbling,stumblebum to start with.....malzahn has a 14 million dollar buyout?....Jacobs is throwing money around worse than pacman jones and he appears to be just about as intelligent as jones....I have no words for that idiot, and now we are stuck with malzahn and his boy wonder for damn near forever

How do you firing the baseball coach was for cause if Jacobs will not talk about it? I've been told Sonny has hired a lawyer and their going after for firing him cause he said he didn't do anything wrong to cause JJ to fire him.

Well of course he's hired a lawyer. Not a secret considering there are tons of articles about it. Standard response.

baseball has had its moments but not consistently.

I always thought we were pretty good, consistently, with Hal Baird.

His record as coach of the Auburn Tigers is 634-328-0. From 1985-2001 he won more baseball games than any coach in Auburn history. His overall coaching record is 779-394-1 (.663). Baird guided the Tigers to three NCAA Regional titles, an SEC Western Division Championship and an SEC Tournament Championship and 10 times during Baird's Auburn tenure his teams finish the season ranked in the top 25. His Auburn teams won at least 30 games in every season he was the head coach and the program participated in nine NCAA Regionals during his stay, including seven in his last eight years at Auburn.

I wouldn't call that "moments"

baseball has had its moments but not consistently.

I always thought we were pretty good, consistently, with Hal Baird.

His record as coach of the Auburn Tigers is 634-328-0. From 1985-2001 he won more baseball games than any coach in Auburn history. His overall coaching record is 779-394-1 (.663). Baird guided the Tigers to three NCAA Regional titles, an SEC Western Division Championship and an SEC Tournament Championship and 10 times during Baird's Auburn tenure his teams finish the season ranked in the top 25. His Auburn teams won at least 30 games in every season he was the head coach and the program participated in nine NCAA Regionals during his stay, including seven in his last eight years at Auburn.

I wouldn't call that "moments"

True but that was about 15-20 years ago and that was a bright spot in our baseball history. Since then, even with Coach Baird's recommended successor, the "moments" have been fewer and farther between.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

While you make some good points (although on the baseball forum and trickling down to lesser media sources is the reason the baseball coach was fired...Jay had cause), Auburn is more competitive across the board in all sports than it has been in awhile. Gymnastics coming off a Super 6, Men's golf #1 in the nation, Softball Women's CWS, Baseball making it back to a regional, basketball enjoying the benefit of a competent coach for the first time in a decade....I could go on.

Where Jay has backed himself into a corner, as many have mentioned, is with his tendency to give the world to any football coach who has one good season.

He's also been too accommodating to the demands of the super rich alumni and is too quick to fire coaches following rough seasons. He doesn't seem to have great control over his subordinates (e.g. Tim Jackson a few years back).

Well of course he's hired a lawyer. Not a secret considering there are tons of articles about it. Standard response.

not much to lose by hiring a lawyer.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here, I don't go threw much here and stick mostly the the recruiting fourm, but Gus got a huge extension and a huge buyout before the season started. JJ, thinking AU would be 4 and 0, was set to announce this at the SJS game. Don't think he will go public now. The buyout is near 14M right now. FWIW.

I been thinking about the extension and $14 mil buyout since I first read about it here earlier today. What WDEWDE has to say is usually money in the bank, but unless I'm mistaken, any contract extension would require board approval and as such would be available as a public record under Alabama state law. With all of the current issues surrounding the team, the media wouldn't miss the opportunity to use this to chum the waters of uncertainty. Regardless, long term stability is in Auburn's best interest over hitting the restart button every few years. The majority of this coaching staff is capable of resolving the deep seated issues that have been plaguing the football team for the last few years. Since the issues are cultural in nature and can't be resolved over night, we need to give the current coaching staff ample time to resolve these issues.

I been thinking about the extension and $14 mil buyout since I first read about it here earlier today. What WDEWDE has to say is usually money in the bank, but unless I'm mistaken, any contract extension would require board approval and as such would be available as a public record under Alabama state law. With all of the current issues surrounding the team, the media wouldn't miss the opportunity to use this to chum the waters of uncertainty. Regardless, long term stability is in Auburn's best interest over hitting the restart button every few years. The majority of this coaching staff is capable of resolving the deep seated issues that have been plaguing the football team for the last few years. Since the issues are cultural in nature and can't be resolved over night, we need to give the current coaching staff ample time to resolve these issues.

Amazes me that anyone who claims to be interested and knowledgeable about AU football would be surprised by the "buy out" which basically means paying off the contract we agreed to if we decide to fire him before the contract ends.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/gus_malzahns_new_385_million_p.html

This is one of about a hundred articles on the subject going back to 2013 and there is no mystery or conspiracy involved. AU fans were clamoring for JJ to lock up Gus after the 2013 season and he did that with a multi-year contract that pays Gus in the same ballpark as most other SEC coaches.

So...gotta think that some people commenting on this site just don't know what the term "contract" means and how it obligates the school. The Malzahn contract is pretty run of the mill for major coaches. Just like U of F is going to be paying Muschamp for a few more years, schools find it necessary to engage coaches with multi-year contracts if for no other reason than to convince recruits that the coach who signs them is going to be around to coach them during their college careers.

Some of the outrage from posters about the Malzahn contract and the $14M makes me wonder if they really understand big time football.

I spent $340 on 4 tix Saturday through AU and literally had the crappiest seats at JHS. I can't imagine what good tix cost. They are gonna lose families coming to the games at this rate.

Hence the reason for the video - make it more home like so there's not a bad seat in the house.

Thought it would be over powering but is really pretty neat.

I took the context of the original post to mean that the extension was something "new" but your link indicates that it's nothing more than old news. While I never claimed to have a great knowledge of football, I work for the state of Alabama and I know that any contract of this nature requires board approval. End of story.

Amazes me that anyone who claims to be interested and knowledgeable about AU football would be surprised by the "buy out" which basically means paying off the contract we agreed to if we decide to fire him before the contract ends.

http://www.al.com/au..._million_p.html

This is one of about a hundred articles on the subject going back to 2013 and there is no mystery or conspiracy involved. AU fans were clamoring for JJ to lock up Gus after the 2013 season and he did that with a multi-year contract that pays Gus in the same ballpark as most other SEC coaches.

So...gotta think that some people commenting on this site just don't know what the term "contract" means and how it obligates the school. The Malzahn contract is pretty run of the mill for major coaches. Just like U of F is going to be paying Muschamp for a few more years, schools find it necessary to engage coaches with multi-year contracts if for no other reason than to convince recruits that the coach who signs them is going to be around to coach them during their college careers.

Some of the outrage from posters about the Malzahn contract and the $14M makes me wonder if they really understand big time football.

There is no outrage, just surprise. Dont be such a diva. People thought Mcelwain's buyout was too much for Florida and that was at 7 million. So what did you think the reaction would be for an amount that doubled Mcelwain's?

This is why, as written above:

"The "buy out" which basically means paying off the contract we agreed to if we decide to fire him before the contract ends.

There is no outrage, just surprise. Dont be such a diva. People thought Mcelwain's buyout was too much for Florida and that was at 7 million. So what did you think the reaction would be for an amount that doubled Mcelwain's?

I was mostly referring to post #27....but Gus has a five year contract... I don't know what the actual buy-out would be but Gus has a five year contract....well maybe on 4 left now...but do the math.....what do people expect? They think they can just fire a coach without "cause" and just move along without a further thought.

And for the record, McElwain's buyout was at Colorado State which UF paid....and then UF gave him 6 years at $ 3.5M which is on the order of $21M if after a couple years they wanted to dump him.

Guys...assuming Malzahn doesn't go off the deep end and get fired this year...by the time he would get fired at the end of next season (assuming he tanks this year and next which I find extremely unlikely, though possible) his buyout will likely be around 5 or 6 mil. It's not like we're going to be paying him 14 mil to leave. He not getting fired this year so no need to worry about it. Now if he stinks it up this year and is looking average next year and gets a big extension, then you need to worry. Until then, not even slightly concerned.

I spent $340 on 4 tix Saturday through AU and literally had the crappiest seats at JHS. I can't imagine what good tix cost. They are gonna lose families coming to the games at this rate.

Hence the reason for the video - make it more home like so there's not a bad seat in the house.

Thought it would be over powering but is really pretty neat.

Unless your at the top of the upper East deck looking sideways at it. There's not many bad seats in the house but I've found 4 for sure. :)

I was mostly referring to post #27....but Gus has a five year contract... I don't know what the actual buy-out would be but Gus has a five year contract....well maybe on 4 left now...but do the math.....what do people expect? They think they can just fire a coach without "cause" and just move along without a further thought.

And for the record, McElwain's buyout was at Colorado State which UF paid....and then UF gave him 6 years at $ 3.5M which is on the order of $21M if after a couple years they wanted to dump him.

It's not that quite much. And you are right.

Mcelwain's total buyout from University to University was 7 million. Link

And if Florida fires Mcelwain, then Florida has protection against the fired coaches double dipping if the fired coaches gain employment before 90 days after the firing. Link

Even then, the buyout is at 2.25 mil per year that is left on the contract.

And if Florida fires Mcelwain, then Florida has protection against the fired coaches double dipping if the fired coaches gain employment before 90 days after the firing. Link

So if those numbers are correct...if FL fired him after the season, they would owe him 11.25 mil...makes you not feel so bad about 14 for a coach that had just made it to the NC game .. It is ridiculous, but seems to be the going rate.

I bet Jacobs will give Malzahn another big fat raise after this season. Jay is good at giving out big raises and big buyouts.

If this team runs the table, everyone on here will be screaming for him to get that raise as well. It will be just like 2013 before the SECG, pay him before he leaves.

You do realize that our ladies are kicking butt right?

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in softball.

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in gymnastics.

This year our ladies soccer team is #8 in the nation (best ranking in the history of the program).

Equestrian team is currently ranked #4.

I think we are doing OK in some sports, not just the "big three".

So if those numbers are correct...if FL fired him after the season, they would owe him 11.25 mil...makes you not feel so bad about 14 for a coach that had just made it to the NC game .. It is ridiculous, but seems to be the going rate.

Still, if Mcelwain found another job quickly (>90 days) after he received his walking papers, his next employment would offset the numbers. Does Auburn not have this clause?

JJ is out of his depth as AD and has been since day one. I think he got fortunate on the timing of the Myers and Pearl hires. Hopefully Gus can right the ship but let's face it- the two football HC hires JJ has made haven't been home run type moves.

Just fired the baseball coach, with cause- and won't discuss the cause. But, the media are reporting the team was on the up and up.

This week I got an email announcing a Miracles and Music concert at JHS.

We are 2-2, with great coaches and young talent. But, ticket prices have been going up 5-10% annually since 2011. Meanwhile, TUF required donations have done the same. This past year, it was announced any new season tickets inside the 20s in the lower bowl would be a flat $3,000 each. That's like $400/ticket, averaged over the season- no matter whether it's the Alabama game or the Alabama A&M game.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport. And we need a more affordable game experience if we are to maintain attendance, especially if we aren't #6 in the country.

I love music. I believe in miracles, and God. But, we are going to attract unnecessary scrutiny with the concert. It's such a Pandora's box to do that.

Above all, the micromanaging and the cultish behavior has got to stop. We can't keep firing coaches after 2 years. We can't have country concerts and bill them as faith affiliated. We can't raise ticket prices like we have.

I think we eventually need an outsider to run the athletics department. It is a major operation with massive revenues. We need a CEO type. Otherwise, the program and the school will both suffer.

How did I miss JJ firing our baseball coach and scheduling country faith based concerts.

Jeez.

:facepalm:

Archived