Maisel: "Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger"

RunInRed

Auburn (2-2) lost its fifth consecutive SEC game. There are eerie parallels between this Tigers slide and the one that cost head coach Gene Chizik his job three years ago. In 2011, the year after Auburn won the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late, and kept sliding in 2012. In 2014, the year after Auburn played for the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late and have kept sliding this year. That’s where the parallels stop. Head coach Gus Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger. Auburn has San Jose State this week, followed by a week off. The timing for both couldn’t be better.

http://espn.go.com/b...point-stance-10

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every good coach seems to get tested. Richt over at uga, after they lost to lowly UCF in the bowl game was half way out the door, if you believe some. Now, uga is on the verge of their biggest season since 1980.

* well, I should add " again ". ;)

It may be a touch warm but I don't believe for a second Gus is in any real danger. Let some jump off the bandwagon if they choose but what's going on now will get corrected in short order IMO.

Hope not. This program needs consistency more than anything. We just need to suck it up and quit being so high maintenance. He got us a championship as an OC and took us to the championship game as a HC. How many SEC programs can claim that? Two recently? SMH

If we end up 6-6 or something, next year his seat will be getting slightly warm. He will have to win at least 9 games IMO to completely shut down any talk of being on the hot seat in 2016. That being said, even with Gus' shortcomings as a HC (he is still learning how to manage everything IMO), I want him to stay at AU. Him coupled with CWM is a great tandem and will prove to be so I think. I don't think our roster is mature enough yet to be who we thought we would be.

I don't know what the answer is to making Auburn a legitimate threat to win a championship more than once in a 3 or so year span, but whatever the answer is, if you gotta fire Gus to fire that answer, you gotta make sure the guy you hire KNOWS that answer

I don't know what the answer is to making Auburn a legitimate threat to win a championship more than once in a 3 or so year span, but whatever the answer is, if you gotta fire Gus to fire that answer, you gotta make sure the guy you hire KNOWS that answer

The answer is building an O-Line and D-Line development program that always has a player ready to drop in when another one leaves. We have a habit of getting 5 good players on the O-line and riding them until one or more leave, with no replacements to fill the holes. On the D-Line, we do great when we have 2 stand-out members, but when we are down to just 1, we struggle, because the 1 gets double teamed and held all game long.

I would hope not at this point...but if his OC is back again next season, that could change.

If anything you read here is true there is very little support for RL and the job he is doing. People seem to get upset when a coach sacrifices some underling(s) after a bad season but in reality, the HC's job is to have the right staff in place...if there are issues...the make them go away.

He's not going anywhere. Any moneyed person I've asked has said its not even a discussion. The only way his seat gets warm is a complete 4-win meltdown. Short of that, no one that matters is going to even ask the question.

If we end up 6-6 or something, next year his seat will be getting slightly warm. He will have to win at least 9 games IMO to completely shut down any talk of being on the hot seat in 2016. That being said, even with Gus' shortcomings as a HC (he is still learning how to manage everything IMO), I want him to stay at AU. Him coupled with CWM is a great tandem and will prove to be so I think. I don't think our roster is mature enough yet to be who we thought we would be.

Agree with this. Gus may not be the best HC in the world right now, but most of the greats took several years before they won their first championship. We may not win it next year either as we will be replacing a lot of guys on defense, but hopefully the youth movement will minimize that. I do believe we will very soon start to see 11 plus wins a year on average. Gus has shown the fortitude to realize the D isn't working and went out and hired the best possibly available. That shows good leadership. There may or may not be issues with some of the offensive staff, but I'd bet he will get that straightened out as well. Generally when 8-10 guys work together every day, there are going to be disagreements. Sometimes they get too big and moves have to be made. We will see. I do believe he will have a good to great offense almost every year and will attempt to keep the best DC on staff he can find. That spells potential success to me.

It may be warm enough that he has to make some coaching changes that he might not want to. CRL might go on Off. and CRG may go on Def.. If CRL goes I think they promote Bentley and if CRG goes I hope they go after Rocker.

It may be warm enough that he has to make some coaching changes that he might not want to. CRL might go on Off. and CRG may go on Def.. If CRL goes I think they promote Bentley and if CRG goes I hope they go after Rocker.

Promote Bentley?

Promote Bentley?

That's been in the works for awhile. Promote Bentley to on the field coach when RL leaves so then Dcraig goes to OC.

Promote Bentley?

That's been in the works for awhile. Promote Bentley to on the field coach when RL leaves so then Dcraig goes to OC.

I've heard to onfield coach before, I was making sure he wasn't suggesting to OC. Would Bentley move to WR coach I assume?

If his buyout is indeed $14mill, then no, he's seat isn't hot. Not even close.

That cant be right. That is just way too high.

If his buyout is indeed $14mill, then no, he's seat isn't hot. Not even close.

That cant be right. That is just way too high.

Perhaps but if you give a coach a multi-year contract you owe him the entire contract value if you fire him....unless there is some other deal...but then, what's the purpose of the contract?

Some might call that a "buy out" but IMO it's just a matter of paying a coach what you agreed to pay him to bind him to your school and make it hard for him to leave.

So schools should be careful what they do during an enthusiastic moment (like a championship season) and also thoughtful about firing a coach because he has a bad year that is not expected.

Promote Bentley?

I've heard to onfield coach before, I was making sure he wasn't suggesting to OC. Would Bentley move to WR coach I assume?

No I think Dcraig would stick to WR and OC, while Bentley would be QB coach. But with the Rhett Lashlee stuff going on, I don't know that would happen anymore.

Archived