Maisel: "Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger"

RunInRed

It may be warm enough that he has to make some coaching changes that he might not want to. CRL might go on Off. and CRG may go on Def.. If CRL goes I think they promote Bentley and if CRG goes I hope they go after Rocker.

Promote Bentley?

That's been in the works for awhile. Promote Bentley to on the field coach when RL leaves so then Dcraig goes to OC.

I've heard to onfield coach before, I was making sure he wasn't suggesting to OC. Would Bentley move to WR coach I assume?

No I think Dcraig would stick to WR and OC, while Bentley would be QB coach. But with the Rhett Lashlee stuff going on, I don't know that would happen anymore.

What is the CRL thing going on? I've heard people on here seem to be disgruntled, but other than that, are people within the program disgruntled too?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if Joe Ridiculous is quarterbacking Saturday, Auburn better win and look good doing it. It's one thing to have your high expectations ripped out from under you, It's another to lose to an FCS opponent. If Malzahn isn't on the hot seat, he will be with a loss to San Jose State.

If true, I feel his biggest mistake is giving play calling duties to Rhett. It is not working.

Gus isn't Spurrier and i don't want him to be, but Spurrier is still calling his own plays, running his O, and I feel Gus should be doing the same.

If true, I feel his biggest mistake is giving play calling duties to Rhett. It is not working.

Gus isn't Spurrier and i don't want him to be, but Spurrier is still calling his own plays, running his O, and I feel Gus should be doing the same.

Check this: https://southcarolina.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1017&script=%2Fcontent.asp&cid=795504

That didn't work out....and OBC took the job back. CGM might think about that too.

Nothing bad against Rhett, but I think we need an OC that is a little less close to Gus. Someone that can offer a second train of thought. I think Rhett has been with Gus so long they are to much alike. JMHO.WDE

It may be warm enough that he has to make some coaching changes that he might not want to. CRL might go on Off. and CRG may go on Def.. If CRL goes I think they promote Bentley and if CRG goes I hope they go after Rocker.

Promote Bentley?

That's been in the works for awhile. Promote Bentley to on the field coach when RL leaves so then Dcraig goes to OC.

I've heard to onfield coach before, I was making sure he wasn't suggesting to OC. Would Bentley move to WR coach I assume?

No I think Dcraig would stick to WR and OC, while Bentley would be QB coach. But with the Rhett Lashlee stuff going on, I don't know that would happen anymore.

What is the CRL thing going on? I've heard people on here seem to be disgruntled, but other than that, are people within the program disgruntled too?

Yes

Promote Bentley?

Yes

Has this actually been confirmed or is this just internet chatter? Did RL just now start calling plays, or has it been that way the last 2.5 years?

Promote Bentley?

Yes

Has this actually been confirmed or is this just internet chatter? Did RL just now start calling plays, or has it been that way the last 2.5 years?

Don't know if we will be able to find out...I mean, who would want to take credit for our play calling performance at the moment?

Here it is again:

Chizik

1st year with Gus w/o Cam:.........8-5 : 3-5

2nd year with Gus with Cam:.......14-0 : 8:0

3rd year with Gus w/o Cam..........8-5 : 4-4

4th year with no Gus...............3-9 : 0-8

Malzahn

1st Year with NM.....................12-2 : 7-1

2nd Year with NM......................8-5 : 4-4

3rd Year w/o NM.......................2-2 : 0-2

Yeah, I can see why some may be a bit concerned...

I think the people calling for heads need to chill, though, and wait to see if Gus can solve whatever issues exist and get the program back on track. He did recently bring Muschamp back to AU. No reason he to believe he won't make changes on the offensive side if they're needed.

I think it's safe to say that aside from 2010 (arguably), that there has no defense since Chiz got there. Now that Muschamp is back, I have confidence the D will improve, but that doesn't explain the struggles on offense. All those years, even 2009 with Chris Todd and 2011 with 3 different QBs, the offense kept the team in the game.

I think it's safe to say that aside from 2010 (arguably), that there has no defense since Chiz got there. Now that Muschamp is back, I have confidence the D will improve, but that doesn't explain the struggles on offense. All those years, even 2009 with Chris Todd and 2011 with 3 different QBs, the offense kept the team in the game.

Part of it, I think, is JJ not being able to handle being the man. This season was planned around his skill set. Now it has to be redone to work with SW and Hus skills

Here is Gus's buyouts from his 2013 contract bump. I'm told JJ added 2M per year to this. So it's 10.9M this year and his contract with AU is thew 2020. I'm still asking around so I'll have more info.

2014: $11,187,500.

2015: $8,950,000.

2016: $6,712,500.

2017: $4,475,000.

2018: $2,237,500.

Supposedly his buyout is 14 mil. He ain't going anywhere.

Yep.

Good. Very good. As long as we're playing musical chairs with head coaches every few years we'll have these high/low seasons. We've got a guy that's put together an outstanding staff. Give them time and LET THEM WORK!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/29/9411501/auburn-football-2015-gus-malzahn

This was pretty interesting, we are 7-7 against power 5 schools but take away the lucky plays and mediocre record turns to very unimpressive. Ill be the first to say win any way possible but im not going to fool myself into thinking that lucky plays will be a permanent feature of our offense.

Check this: https://southcarolin....asp&cid=795504

That didn't work out....and OBC took the job back. CGM might think about that too.

Spurrier doesn't call the plays all the time. Only sporadically. GA Mangus (QB Coach) is calling the plays right now, as Nunez is a dual-threat QB that Spurrier doesn't have much experience in working with. This much I do know.

Check this: https://southcarolin....asp&cid=795504

Spurrier doesn't call the plays all the time. Only sporadically. GA Mangus (QB Coach) is calling the plays right now, as Nunez is a dual-threat QB that Spurrier doesn't have much experience in working with. This much I do know.

Coach would probably tell you that the plays that worked.....those were the ones he called. :)

Auburn (2-2) lost its fifth consecutive SEC game. There are eerie parallels between this Tigers slide and the one that cost head coach Gene Chizik his job three years ago. In 2011, the year after Auburn won the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late, and kept sliding in 2012. In 2014, the year after Auburn played for the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late and have kept sliding this year. That’s where the parallels stop. Head coach Gus Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger. Auburn has San Jose State this week, followed by a week off. The timing for both couldn’t be better.

http://espn.go.com/b...point-stance-10

Nor should it be. People are a bunch of impatient idiots.

There are schools in this country that actually have to purposely fall assbackwards to fail. There are just certain advantages inherent for some schools. Auburn is not one of those places. It is in the next strata down of schools that have the resources and tools to be consistently competitive and win it all sometimes, but may have more off years or down cycles. It's not the state school, it's bordered by three powerful state programs (four if Tennessee ever gets off the mat) and has to work a little harder. Does that mean we should be ok with losing seasons? Of course not. But maintaining constant success (10-11 win seasons every year with a bad year being 9-3) is always going to be harder. And the solution to that is not firing coaches ever 3-4 years and starting over.

Most of this angst comes from the fact that our rival has been on such a tear the last 7 years. But that's not normal even for them. Certainly not since Bryant retired. And even he had a couple of stretches of less than stellar results (1967-1970 his records were 8-2-1, 8-3, 6-5 and 6-5-1). But I think it's way too early to be discussing a change and in general, I don't think this cycle of changing coaches for Auburn is sustainable. You start running into the Law of Diminishing Returns. Costs of buyouts pile up and the coaches you really want to come won't touch the job because the fanbase and administration looks unrealistic and impatient.

Auburn (2-2) lost its fifth consecutive SEC game. There are eerie parallels between this Tigers slide and the one that cost head coach Gene Chizik his job three years ago. In 2011, the year after Auburn won the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late, and kept sliding in 2012. In 2014, the year after Auburn played for the BCS title, the Tigers slumped late and have kept sliding this year. That’s where the parallels stop. Head coach Gus Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger. Auburn has San Jose State this week, followed by a week off. The timing for both couldn’t be better.

http://espn.go.com/b...point-stance-10

Nor should it be. People are a bunch of impatient idiots.

There are schools in this country that actually have to purposely fall assbackwards to fail. There are just certain advantages inherent for some schools. Auburn is not one of those places. It is in the next strata down of schools that have the resources and tools to be consistently competitive and win it all sometimes, but may have more off years or down cycles. It's not the state school, it's bordered by three powerful state programs (four if Tennessee ever gets off the mat) and has to work a little harder. Does that mean we should be ok with losing seasons? Of course not. But maintaining constant success (10-11 win seasons every year with a bad year being 9-3) is always going to be harder. And the solution to that is not firing coaches ever 3-4 years and starting over.

Most of this angst comes from the fact that our rival has been on such a tear the last 7 years. But that's not normal even for them. Certainly not since Bryant retired. And even he had a couple of stretches of less than stellar results (1967-1970 his records were 8-2-1, 8-3, 6-5 and 6-5-1). But I think it's way too early to be discussing a change and in general, I don't think this cycle of changing coaches for Auburn is sustainable. You start running into the Law of Diminishing Returns. Costs of buyouts pile up and the coaches you really want to come won't touch the job because the fanbase and administration looks unrealistic and impatient.

i don't even want to hear about buyouts, or coaching searches.

Auburn used to be a place of stability while West Vance flipped coaches every few years. From 1983-2008, Auburn had, essentially, three coaches: Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville (I'm ignoring Brother Oliver's interim deal). In that same stretch, Bama had, essentially, seven coaches: Perkins, Curry, Stalling, DuBose, Francione, Shula, and Saban (I'm ignoring both Joe Kines' interim spot duty and Mike Price because he never coached a game).

This is a program built on stability. We're not impatient. If Pat Dye were coaching today, people would absolutely circulate articles asking whether his job was in jeopardy based on the mediocre returns in 1984 (where we started 0-2 after being ranked in the preseason top ten) and 1985 (where we dropped three of our last five despite having one of the greatest players in the history of the game). This win-now-and-win-always mindset is ridiculous.

Part of it is driven by what Saban as been able to accomplish in West Vance, but people have to realize: this is one of the greatest runs in college football history. He's one of the best coaches of all time, and even for an all-timer, this run has been nearly unprecedented. If we're measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short. When Saban leaves, if they are measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short.

I'm glad to hear, from the little insight I have into rich people supporting Auburn athletics, that no one is really talking about this inside the program. This program needs to get back to the place where one season doesn't dictate how you think of a guy. One great year doesn't make you. One bad year doesn't break you. I'll agree that posting a 3-9 with no SEC wins type of season could and probably should cost just about anyone their job, but short of that wholesale meltdown, you take your lumps and work on getting better. You don't clean sweep over a disappointing year. You build something. We built toward 2004. It took a flame out in 2001; tons of injuries and hardnosed mentality that developed in 2002; a brutal disappointment in 2003... then we were ready to win. I want to get back to being the type of program that is willing to suffer together and succeed together. You rarely have one without the other, but the fanbase seems unwilling to accept the former, ever. It's crazy.

Gus is the guy. He's definitely growing and learning on the job, but that should've been expected. He's hired a very good staff, and they're going to do the job, which sometimes involves learning from failure.

Auburn used to be a place of stability while West Vance flipped coaches every few years. From 1983-2008, Auburn had, essentially, three coaches: Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville (I'm ignoring Brother Oliver's interim deal). In that same stretch, Bama had, essentially, seven coaches: Perkins, Curry, Stalling, DuBose, Francione, Shula, and Saban (I'm ignoring both Joe Kines' interim spot duty and Mike Price because he never coached a game).

This is a program built on stability. We're not impatient. If Pat Dye were coaching today, people would absolutely circulate articles asking whether his job was in jeopardy based on the mediocre returns in 1984 (where we started 0-2 after being ranked in the preseason top ten) and 1985 (where we dropped three of our last five despite having one of the greatest players in the history of the game). This win-now-and-win-always mindset is ridiculous.

Part of it is driven by what Saban as been able to accomplish in West Vance, but people have to realize: this is one of the greatest runs in college football history. He's one of the best coaches of all time, and even for an all-timer, this run has been nearly unprecedented. If we're measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short. When Saban leaves, if they are measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short.

I'm glad to hear, from the little insight I have into rich people supporting Auburn athletics, that no one is really talking about this inside the program. This program needs to get back to the place where one season doesn't dictate how you think of a guy. One great year doesn't make you. One bad year doesn't break you. I'll agree that posting a 3-9 with no SEC wins type of season could and probably should cost just about anyone their job, but short of that wholesale meltdown, you take your lumps and work on getting better. You don't clean sweep over a disappointing year. You build something. We built toward 2004. It took a flame out in 2001; tons of injuries and hardnosed mentality that developed in 2002; a brutal disappointment in 2003... then we were ready to win. I want to get back to being the type of program that is willing to suffer together and succeed together. You rarely have one without the other, but the fanbase seems unwilling to accept the former, ever. It's crazy.

Gus is the guy. He's definitely growing and learning on the job, but that should've been expected. He's hired a very good staff, and they're going to do the job, which sometimes involves learning from failure.

Stated much better than I did. Thanks for that dose of sanity.

Perfectly stated

Agreed with those guys, great post. This in particular stuck out to me:

Gus is the guy. He's definitely growing and learning on the job, but that should've been expected.

Exactly. We hired a guy with one year of head coaching experience. I'm willing to watch him grow as long as he's willing to do it and as long as he doesn't repeat mistakes. So far, he's 1-0 on making changes when changes are needed, and my God did he hit a home run there. If the offense doesn't get markedly better by season's end, then I suspect we'll see more changes. If it doesn't and we don't, then I'll reassess.

It's funny, Gus really screwed himself by giving us one of our greatest seasons ever right out of the gate.

Archived