Maisel: "Malzahn’s job is not remotely in danger"

RunInRed

Auburn used to be a place of stability while West Vance flipped coaches every few years. From 1983-2008, Auburn had, essentially, three coaches: Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville (I'm ignoring Brother Oliver's interim deal). In that same stretch, Bama had, essentially, seven coaches: Perkins, Curry, Stalling, DuBose, Francione, Shula, and Saban (I'm ignoring both Joe Kines' interim spot duty and Mike Price because he never coached a game).

This is a program built on stability. We're not impatient. If Pat Dye were coaching today, people would absolutely circulate articles asking whether his job was in jeopardy based on the mediocre returns in 1984 (where we started 0-2 after being ranked in the preseason top ten) and 1985 (where we dropped three of our last five despite having one of the greatest players in the history of the game). This win-now-and-win-always mindset is ridiculous.

Part of it is driven by what Saban as been able to accomplish in West Vance, but people have to realize: this is one of the greatest runs in college football history. He's one of the best coaches of all time, and even for an all-timer, this run has been nearly unprecedented. If we're measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short. When Saban leaves, if they are measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short.

I'm glad to hear, from the little insight I have into rich people supporting Auburn athletics, that no one is really talking about this inside the program. This program needs to get back to the place where one season doesn't dictate how you think of a guy. One great year doesn't make you. One bad year doesn't break you. I'll agree that posting a 3-9 with no SEC wins type of season could and probably should cost just about anyone their job, but short of that wholesale meltdown, you take your lumps and work on getting better. You don't clean sweep over a disappointing year. You build something. We built toward 2004. It took a flame out in 2001; tons of injuries and hardnosed mentality that developed in 2002; a brutal disappointment in 2003... then we were ready to win. I want to get back to being the type of program that is willing to suffer together and succeed together. You rarely have one without the other, but the fanbase seems unwilling to accept the former, ever. It's crazy.

Gus is the guy. He's definitely growing and learning on the job, but that should've been expected. He's hired a very good staff, and they're going to do the job, which sometimes involves learning from failure.

well done...let's keep Gus and let things settle down...and just fire the AD whenever we have a disappointing season...it's much less expensive :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn used to be a place of stability while West Vance flipped coaches every few years. From 1983-2008, Auburn had, essentially, three coaches: Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville (I'm ignoring Brother Oliver's interim deal). In that same stretch, Bama had, essentially, seven coaches: Perkins, Curry, Stalling, DuBose, Francione, Shula, and Saban (I'm ignoring both Joe Kines' interim spot duty and Mike Price because he never coached a game).

This is a program built on stability. We're not impatient. If Pat Dye were coaching today, people would absolutely circulate articles asking whether his job was in jeopardy based on the mediocre returns in 1984 (where we started 0-2 after being ranked in the preseason top ten) and 1985 (where we dropped three of our last five despite having one of the greatest players in the history of the game). This win-now-and-win-always mindset is ridiculous.

Part of it is driven by what Saban as been able to accomplish in West Vance, but people have to realize: this is one of the greatest runs in college football history. He's one of the best coaches of all time, and even for an all-timer, this run has been nearly unprecedented. If we're measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short. When Saban leaves, if they are measuring coaches against that yard stick, they'll fall short.

I'm glad to hear, from the little insight I have into rich people supporting Auburn athletics, that no one is really talking about this inside the program. This program needs to get back to the place where one season doesn't dictate how you think of a guy. One great year doesn't make you. One bad year doesn't break you. I'll agree that posting a 3-9 with no SEC wins type of season could and probably should cost just about anyone their job, but short of that wholesale meltdown, you take your lumps and work on getting better. You don't clean sweep over a disappointing year. You build something. We built toward 2004. It took a flame out in 2001; tons of injuries and hardnosed mentality that developed in 2002; a brutal disappointment in 2003... then we were ready to win. I want to get back to being the type of program that is willing to suffer together and succeed together. You rarely have one without the other, but the fanbase seems unwilling to accept the former, ever. It's crazy.

Gus is the guy. He's definitely growing and learning on the job, but that should've been expected. He's hired a very good staff, and they're going to do the job, which sometimes involves learning from failure.

well done...let's keep Gus and let things settle down...and just fire the AD whenever we have a disappointing season...it's much less expensive :)/>

Shoutouts to Steve Patterson

There's a 14M buyout in Malzahn's contract? Jesus Christ

It's 8.9 million after this year, 6.7 mill after next. He has two years to figure it out. We can't afford another big buyout. We gotta stop giving big buyouts after 1/2 years. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/gus_malzahns_massive_new_buyou.html

There's a 14M buyout in Malzahn's contract? Jesus Christ

It's 8.9 million after this year, 6.7 mill after next. He has two years to figure it out. We can't afford another big buyout. We gotta stop giving big buyouts after 1/2 years. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/gus_malzahns_massive_new_buyou.html

I just think it's Jacobs/BOT ultimate way to keep coaches. It's not smart at all but it's seemingly all they knows how to do

fyi team looks motivated and resilient in practice this week, a far cry from 2012. dont know if it means better results, but thought it was worth pointing out.

i confirmed today that there is a HUGE buyout for Gus, (@11.2 million) and theres no way hes fired even if we lose every game...(per one board member and two heavy donors)

itd be funny if he was seen with the jumbotron attached to the top of his car tho.

fyi team looks motivated and resilient in practice this week, a far cry from 2012. dont know if it means better results, but thought it was worth pointing out.

i confirmed today that there is a HUGE buyout for Gus, (@11.2 million) and theres no way hes fired even if we lose every game...(per one board member and two heavy donors)

itd be funny if he was seen with the jumbotron attached to the top of his car tho.

this is the reason I pay more attention to your posts than most people.

Gus is a very good coach, and will do what he has to do to get this team back on a winning track. If you will remember, Pat Dye had some rough seasons after the 1983 season that was a national championship team by todays standards. 1984 & 1985 saw us losing to bammer and having mediocre seasons.

CPD did what he had to do the right the ship of which resulted in some of the best seasons we have ever had. Gus will do what he has to do no doubt. If we end the season without getting our offense out of its sinking pattern we will have a new OC for 2016 no doubt whatsoever.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think that Gus' job is in jeopardy. Just look at what Gary Patterson did when they entered the Big 12. From 2005-2011 in the Mountain West they won 11 games in 6 out of 7 seasons, had an undefeated team in 2010, and went to 2 BCS games. In his first two seasons in the Big 12, TCU went 7-6 and 4-8. He has adapted and turned around that program to now be at the top of the Big 12 the last 2 years.

Gus is an offensive genius. He's an innovator. He brought the wildcat. He brought the hurry-up, zone-read, punch you in the mouth power football. He will adapt and lead this team back to a championship level again. We need just need to figure out our personnel, recruit better, and figure how we got in this position.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think that Gus' job is in jeopardy. Just look at what Gary Patterson did when they entered the Big 12. From 2005-2011 in the Mountain West they won 11 games in 6 out of 7 seasons, had an undefeated team in 2010, and went to 2 BCS games. In his first two seasons in the Big 12, TCU went 7-6 and 4-8. He has adapted and turned around that program to now be at the top of the Big 12 the last 2 years.

Gus is an offensive genius. He's an innovator. He brought the wildcat. He brought the hurry-up, zone-read, punch you in the mouth power football. He will adapt and lead this team back to a championship level again. We need just need to figure out our personnel, recruit better, and figure how we got in this position.

post more, sir

For those who hate buyouts, the long term contracts are the methods that schools assure their fans and future recruits that there will be a sense of stability in the program...especially if you hire a guy who is supposed to be a coaching genius and don't want him popping off to the NFL after a couple good seasons.

Just for the record, Bruce Pearl has a $14M+ , six year deal with AU ....so everyone should be praying that we don't have to buy his contract after a couple seasons. Or perhaps AU should have just offered BP a year to year deal and waited to see if he had success here?

Excellent post!

IMHO, everything gets exasperated times 10 due to our in-state rivals recent success and even more importantly their historical success.

I wish people wouldn't even bring this crap up every time we lose a couple of games. There is no doubt in my mind our coaching staff will turn this situation around. Defense had to go through a huge culture change. It will get better. Gus made a big mistake changing the offense and putting all his eggs in the JJ basket. He will make the necessary changes to get it back on track.

Way too soon to be talking about this IMO. Plus, as a lot of people have pointed out, we need to make sure we evaluate where the program is from a foundation point of view, not just wins and loses. Chiziks last year, the program was just in shambles. I don't believe that's the case here. We can have a bad season or two yet still be heading in the right direction.

I've been very disappointed in the product on the field the last 8 or so games, but we don't want to repeat this cycle. Let CGM do his job. He knows how, it's just going to take some time to build. We can't keep tearing it down and starting over.

For those who hate buyouts, the long term contracts are the methods that schools assure their fans and future recruits that there will be a sense of stability in the program...especially if you hire a guy who is supposed to be a coaching genius and don't want him popping off to the NFL after a couple good seasons.

Just for the record, Bruce Pearl has a $14M+ , six year deal with AU ....so everyone should be praying that we don't have to buy his contract after a couple seasons. Or perhaps AU should have just offered BP a year to year deal and waited to see if he had success here?

BP as I understand it had several years of head coaching experience and already proved he could do well in the SEC. That's a stark contrast to Malzahn's one year of head coaching experience at a smaller school. Not saying I'm unhappy with either hire, just pointing out that on paper Malzahn was a way bigger risk.

BP as I understand it had several years of head coaching experience and already proved he could do well in the SEC. That's a stark contrast to Malzahn's one year of head coaching experience at a smaller school. Not saying I'm unhappy with either hire, just pointing out that on paper Malzahn was a way bigger risk.

Don't forget that Gus was here as OC for several years and many AU people give him credit for the 2010 championship and the big contract jump came after the 2013 season. Seems reasonable to most folks that we knew what we were getting by then...especially when it appeared that some NFL teams were sniffing around.

As for BP...he had been out of the game for a few years.....so you never know how that was going to work out....but you can be sure that without that long term contract, BP would be somewhere else.

All of this stuff is a big gamble....and JMO but a few AU people put JJ under the microscope and have absolutely no awareness of what goes on at other schools with their ADs, their bad hires, their bad contracts, etc. they ignore the good stuff, focus on the bad and basically hold him to an impossible standard.

Archived