Why Was Golloway Fired?

I've seen a lot of the usual speculation but this seems to be the facts. Golloway committed an infraction and then lied about it

according to College Baseball Daily.

College Baseball Daily has learned that former Auburn Baseball coach Sunny Golloway was fired over having players throwing bullpen sessions with coaches during a time period coaches could not attend. This is an NCAA infraction and could lead to players being ruled ineligible. When Sunny was questioned about the bullpen sessions by Auburn Athletic Department staff, he denied they were going on. But he was caught in the lie as there was video and photo evidence of the bullpens with the coaching staff. This is the reason that current Associate Head Coach and Pitching Coach Tom Holliday has been placed on Administrative Leave also.

Galloway, through his lawyer, claims:

1. Auburn hired Pearl

2. Pearl violated NCAA rules at Tennessee

3. Therefore it's outrageous for Auburn to fire Galloway for violating NCAA rules.

Galloway, through his lawyer, claims:

1. Auburn hired Pearl

2. Pearl violated NCAA rules at Tennessee

3. Therefore it's outrageous for Auburn to fire Galloway for violating NCAA rules.

OOPS....he missed a few steps..or at least got them out of order

1. Pearl violated NCAA rules at Tennessee

2. Tennessee fired Pearl

3. NCAA levied a "show cause" against Pearl

4. Pearl was out of the game for several year, showed contrition ,, served his penalty

5. Pearl admitted his errors and sought forgiveness

6. Auburn hired Pearl

7. Auburn hired Golloway

8. Golloway apparently violated NCAA rules and lied to his AD about it.

9. Auburn fired Golloway....

10. Golloway shows contrition admits failures

11. Golloway serves penalty seeks forgiveness

12. Golloway gets new coaching job

So now looks like its up to CSG to complete steps 10-12 though I doubt his attorney would acknowledge that.

I've seen a lot of the usual speculation but this seems to be the facts. Golloway committed an infraction and then lied about it

according to College Baseball Daily.

College Baseball Daily has learned that former Auburn Baseball coach Sunny Golloway was fired over having players throwing bullpen sessions with coaches during a time period coaches could not attend. This is an NCAA infraction and could lead to players being ruled ineligible. When Sunny was questioned about the bullpen sessions by Auburn Athletic Department staff, he denied they were going on. But he was caught in the lie as there was video and photo evidence of the bullpens with the coaching staff. This is the reason that current Associate Head Coach and Pitching Coach Tom Holliday has been placed on Administrative Leave also.

I don't know that I've heard all that much speculation. All the official sources alluded to something of this nature and most of the trustworthy insiders filled in almost the same details as above. The only other "speculation" I saw was people wondering if it was Sunny mistreating players again, but that's pretty much it. This has been one of the rare times where there was remarkably little wild speculating on the reasons.

Jacobs batter start walking softly now that things are not going so good with their coaches on the baseball and football programs.

I see what you did there...hilarious.

Batter up

Dixie is stirring the batter up even more.

If you noticed what just happened to Larry Brown, you also know the NCAA made hiding behind "I did not know what the assistants were doing" a thing of the past.

If you noticed what just happened to Larry Brown, you also know the NCAA made hiding behind "I did not know what the assistants were doing" a thing of the past.

And assuming the illegal practices took place, for a small program like baseball at AU, it would be a tough case to make that a noted micro-manager like CSG did not know what was going on

Interesting too.....if the NCAA applies that philosophy to UNC Tar Heels the school will have to fire three or four coaches retroactively to pay for the previous transgressions. Likely this penalty has caused some sleepless nights for UNC coaches and administrators.

Archived