This Is How We Treat Our Allies?

Proud Tiger

MRAP's cost way too much to be ungrateful and it is 250 more trucks they didn't have in the beginning so they are probably thankful. Hopefully our government is finally learning not to give away such quality equipment just for it to land in the hands of the enemy.

MRAP's cost way too much to be ungrateful and it is 250 more trucks they didn't have in the beginning so they are probably thankful. Hopefully our government is finally learning not to give away such quality equipment just for it to land in the hands of the enemy.

So you think it is OK to give them this junk? Why would we send them out in stuff we wouldn't send out our own troops in? Do Kurd lives not matter?

Well the video says that it was done on purpose because the "technology could not be exported". So wouldn't the question need to be asked was this the Governments doing or is this the doing of Navistar Defense and stipulations of their contract (they appear to be the major player in the development of MRAP's in the United States with a current contract though 2020 worth over 300 million).

So you think it is OK to give them this junk? Why would we send them out in stuff we wouldn't send out our own troops in? Do Kurd lives not matter?

This "junk" is an upgrade to them. Stop with the activism crap. You sound ridiculous.

With what we've given to the Iraqis, only for it to fall into the hands of ISIS anyways, I don't know if that's a valid point. Hell, we gave Iran our top of the line stealth drone, so what's the fuss over some side paneling ?

This "junk" is an upgrade to them. Stop with the activism crap. You sound ridiculous.

So anyone who disagrees with you is ridiculous? Activism?........Note I posted a link to a news article so I guess facts are ridiculous.

So anyone who disagrees with you is ridiculous? Activism?........Note I posted a link to a news article so I guess facts are ridiculous.

From the article:

"The State Department reviews each EDA request on a case-by-case basis that considers the needs of potential recipients, safeguarding potentially sensitive defense technologies, as well as the ability of the recipient to operate and sustain the equipment, among other factors. Under U.S. policy, Anti-EFP (Explosive Formed Penetrator), or any other types of vehicle Side-Armor, are not part of the MRAPs standard configuration and is not exportable. Partners do have the option to install their own or purchase comparable systems elsewhere."

At no point did I insinuate that Kurd lives don't matter. And yes, to even suggest that is ridiculous.

At no point did I insinuate that Kurd lives don't matter. And yes, to even suggest that is ridiculous.

jeff.....I didn't say you said Kurd lives don't matter but based on your comments I asked you the question.

From the article:

"The State Department reviews each EDA request on a case-by-case basis that considers the needs of potential recipients, safeguarding potentially sensitive defense technologies, as well as the ability of the recipient to operate and sustain the equipment, among other factors. Under U.S. policy, Anti-EFP (Explosive Formed Penetrator), or any other types of vehicle Side-Armor, are not part of the MRAPs standard configuration and is not exportable. Partners do have the option to install their own or purchase comparable systems elsewhere."

Have you ever seen a picture of an MRAP we have given to any other ally without side armor?

jeff.....I didn't say you said Kurd lives don't matter but based on your comments I asked you the question.

I never implied it for you to ask the question, sunny boy. Giving the MRAPS without the sidearmour to the kurds is actually incredibly generous. Many afghan and iraqi units still use the HMMVWS from like twenty years ago. And those trucks are no match for IED's so I guess they can pick their poison. MRAP's with greater protection against IED's and decent protection from rocket attacks if they still have the Q- nets, or their little HMMVW.

I never implied it for you to ask the question, sunny boy. Giving the MRAPS without the sidearmour to the kurds is actually incredibly generous. Many afghan and iraqi units still use the HMMVWS from like twenty years ago. And those trucks are no match for IED's so I guess they can pick their poison. MRAP's with greater protection against IED's and decent protection from rocket attacks if they still have the Q- nets, or their little HMMVW.

Sunny boy? I have no interest in further discussion with you. You sound more like I would expect from a bammer than a fellow Auburn brother.

Sunny boy? I have no interest in further discussion with you. You sound more like I would expect from a bammer than a fellow Auburn brother.

That was humor. You should try it some time.

Yeah and I suppose your vulgar post that got edited by a mod was humor also.

I will never call you "sunny boy" again if you are going to whine like a jr high school girl about it. Good Lord. Remove that stick from your rear orifice and chill out.

I will never call you "sunny boy" again if you are going to whine like a jr high school girl about it. Good Lord. Remove that stick from your rear orifice and chill out.

OK. When you get your panties out a wad let me know. Interesting you ignored my comment about your vulgar post which got edited and started this whole thing and a hijacked thread.

OK. When you get your panties out a wad let me know. Interesting you ignored my comment about your vulgar post which got edited and started this whole thing and a hijacked thread.

I said "STFU" earlier. Sue me.

I guess that's more of your of humor huh. Or is that your idea of civil discussion?

I guess that's more of your of humor huh. Or is that your idea of civil discussion?

The thread got derailed once I owned your thread with facts from firsthand knowledge of MRAP's and the resources that we usually give to our coalition allies. Cut the crap

The thread got derailed once I owned your thread with facts from firsthand knowledge of MRAP's and the resources that we usually give to our coalition allies. Cut the crap

Show me a pic of an MRAP we gave to another ally with open sides and no armor. Take your time, I'm outta here for tonight. Can't believe I spent so much time on a worthless discussion

Like I said before, the government has the right to withhold special equipment that could easily get into the hands of the enemy. I am hoping that the government learned that lesson in Afghanistan. And with ISIS already driving around in humvees and MRAPs that belonged to the retreating Iraqis, it wouldn't be smart to give the Kurds such handy equipment. Like I said also, investing in Q- nets that wrap around the MRAP will provide protection against the RPG attacks. I never had the extra side armor on that side so forgive me if I am not jumping up and down over the kurds not having it when they can have equipment that is just as effective but ten times cheaper.

The Q-Net was first sent to combat in Afghanistan in 2010. When soldiers saw the armor system, they were skeptical and concerned about its effectiveness. On September 19, a vehicle patrol equipped with Q-Nets was ambushed. At less than 100 meters distance, insurgents fired a volley of RPG rounds, followed by machine gun fire and then another RPG. The soldiers moved forward of the ambush and repelled the attack. Following the firefight, they found that the vehicles had taken three direct hits from RPGs and had not penetrated. They detonated at the nets, stopping them from penetrating the armor. One soldier commented, “All of the soldiers whose vehicles were hit by RPGs are alive today and still in the fight.”[2]

Like I said before, the government has the right to withhold special equipment that could easily get into the hands of the enemy. I am hoping that the government learned that lesson in Afghanistan. And with ISIS already driving around in humvees and MRAPs that belonged to the retreating Iraqis, it wouldn't be smart to give the Kurds such handy equipment. Like I said also, investing in Q- nets that wrap around the MRAP will provide protection against the RPG attacks. I never had the extra side armor on that side so forgive me if I am not jumping up and down over the kurds not having it when they can have equipment that is just as effective but ten times cheaper.

The Q-Net was first sent to combat in Afghanistan in 2010. When soldiers saw the armor system, they were skeptical and concerned about its effectiveness. On September 19, a vehicle patrol equipped with Q-Nets was ambushed. At less than 100 meters distance, insurgents fired a volley of RPG rounds, followed by machine gun fire and then another RPG. The soldiers moved forward of the ambush and repelled the attack. Following the firefight, they found that the vehicles had taken three direct hits from RPGs and had not penetrated. They detonated at the nets, stopping them from penetrating the armor. One soldier commented, "All of the soldiers whose vehicles were hit by RPGs are alive today and still in the fight."[2]

Exactly Jeff. You don't need super secret ballistic plating on the side of the MRAP. You just need something to trigger the RPG round before it hits the inner shell.

The Q-Net was first sent to combat in Afghanistan in 2010. When soldiers saw the armor system, they were skeptical and concerned about its effectiveness. On September 19, a vehicle patrol equipped with Q-Nets was ambushed. At less than 100 meters distance, insurgents fired a volley of RPG rounds, followed by machine gun fire and then another RPG. The soldiers moved forward of the ambush and repelled the attack. Following the firefight, they found that the vehicles had taken three direct hits from RPGs and had not penetrated. They detonated at the nets, stopping them from penetrating the armor. One soldier commented, "All of the soldiers whose vehicles were hit by RPGs are alive today and still in the fight."[2]

Exactly Jeff. You don't need super secret ballistic plating on the side of the MRAP. You just need something to trigger the RPG round before it hits the inner shell.

Exactiy. Plus all that extra side armor increases the chances of rollovers, and MRAPS are already top heavy without it. In many ways, it is preferable to be without the plates when on rough terrain. If anything, I have wasted my time by pointing out PT's naivety over and over again.

But "Kurds lives matter" or something like that.

jeff....peace. Thank you for your service. Sorry that you took anything the wrong way, which by your initial response I assume you did. Obviously I unintendedly touched a nerve. I never claimed to be an expert on MRAPs. I guess not being an expert makes me naive. As I said before, all I did is post an article. I didn't write it. Have a good day and WDE.

Archived