31 ALEA Offices to Close in Alabama

autigeremt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.wsfa.com/ws...uid=od:rGoXQnI2

"The closure of 31 DMV offices will not leave citizens without a place to receive the required I.D. card to vote," said Secretary Merrill. "All 67 counties in Alabama have a Board of Registrars that issue photo voter I.D. cards. If for some reason those citizens are not able to make it to the Board of Registrars, we'll bring our mobile I.D. van and crew to that county. By October 31 our office will have brought the mobile I.D. van to every county in Alabama at least once. One of the most fundamental rights we as Americans are afforded is our right to vote. As Alabama's Secretary of State and Chief Elections Official, I will do everything within my power to ensure every Alabamian is able to exercise their right to vote."

Beat me to it. Thanks for the contribution.

This is just an effort by Bentley to draw attention to the lack of higher taxes or gambling being allowed. He's cutting where it will cause the most trouble for tax payers. The voterID thing just adds to it the pain, but in a risky manner. the Federal government does the same when it closes parks and monuments, then lays off civil servants, but pays them later! There are other places bentley could cut, but they are not noticeable to the average citizen.

An angle that had not even crossed my mind, and another feasible motive to consider. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Every Montgomery Insider I have heard/read/was quoted by someone else said essentially the same thing. Cause pain, threaten pain to educate the Alabama voter that we have to raise taxes to reasonable levels.

The old "Firemen first" principle. Works every time, and its as clear an example as any as to why government should be limited. Fiscal recklessness and irresponsibility reaps dividends.

Archived