Hazing arrests in Tuscaloosa

quietfan

I do not, and have never, understood the urge to haze, torture, or harm someone you are supposedly recruiting as a future friend and brother for life, not even as a joke or initiation ritual I honestly cannot see any difference between it and sadism/psychopathy. I am blessed with a handful of dear, dear friends I've known since high school or college, friends who would die for me as I would die for them. Not once in our 40-50 years of being friends have I ever had the slightest desire to abuse them, no matter how much alcohol or other recreational chemicals might have been involved, and I think they would say the same. I'm not sure I would even want to be friends with someone with such sociopathic tendencies.

The whole attitude is so foreign to me I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. (But then, I also cannot comprehend what would make someone want to inflict violence on another in anger, either...another common human, predominantly male, reaction.)

http://www.nbcnews.c...g-probe-n436691

Five University of Alabama fraternity members were arrested on charges of hazing other students, officials said Wednesday — the latest in a string of campus scandals.

They were being held pending $1,000 bond at the Tuscaloosa County Jail, the university said in a statement.

Their arrest follows an investigation by the university into allegations involving the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

Phi Gamma Delta has been placed under "interim sanctions," the university said, including "no social events and no new member activities."

Colter K. Anderson, 21, of Dallas, Texas; John Patrick Buckley, 21, of Houston, Texas; Hunter Lee Wagner, 20, of Huntsville, Alabama; and Richard E. Markwalter, 20, also of Huntsville, each face three hazing charges. Mark Allen Powers, 20, of Athens, Alabama, faces one hazing charge.

It follows allegations that the members of the fraternity made pledges stand in buckets of ice and salt, causing burns on pledges' feet, The Birmingham News reported. Those details could not be independently verified by NBC News.

"The University of Alabama will not tolerate hazing and takes allegations and incidents of hazing very seriously," Tim Hebson, dean of students, said in a statement. "Students who are the victims of, or who become aware of, hazing incidents are strongly encouraged to bring these incidents to our attention."

A grand jury last month recommended charges against three dozen members of New York City college fraternity in connection with the death of freshman Michael Deng, who was killed during a "brutal" hazing ritual. Five of the young men face third-degree murder charges.

Pennsylvania State University's Kappa Delta Rho fraternity was accused of running an invitation-only Facebook page that showed hazing rituals, drug deals and naked women who appeared to be passed out.

At the University of Michigan, the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity was disbanded after some members helped trash two ski resorts during an alcohol-fueled weekend, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

I remember about 5 years ago a bammer fraternity required its pledges to give interviews to the frat brothers while sitting naked on a folding chair.

The catch, if that wasn't ridiculous already, was that the brothers had zip tied an iron to the bottom of the folding chair, making the chair hot. One pledge ended up going to the ER for like second degree burns on his bum. The story got out and eventually the fraternity got kicked off the campus.

Being a student at UA should be recognized as hazing....or at the very least open to psychiatric counseling. ;)

Then there are the fraternities that brand their members. Supposedly voluntary, but peer pressure may be involved.

Geeze, those bimbos were the definition of self absorbed. SNL couldn't do a skit on that because it's already been done, in real life ? Oh, sorry... IRL !

Then there are the fraternities that brand their members. Supposedly voluntary, but peer pressure may be involved.

If that happens in today society I don't thing it could stay quiet. Now back in the day I'm not saying it didn't happen cause I know for a fact it did.

Our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Their shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all. Evil shenanigans!

If that happens in today society I don't thing it could stay quiet. Now back in the day I'm not saying it didn't happen cause I know for a fact it did.

i knew several guys that went to alabama AnM that were branded.

I remember about 5 years ago a bammer fraternity required its pledges to give interviews to the frat brothers while sitting naked on a folding chair.

The catch, if that wasn't ridiculous already, was that the brothers had zip tied an iron to the bottom of the folding chair, making the chair hot. One pledge ended up going to the ER for like second degree burns on his bum. The story got out and eventually the fraternity got kicked off the campus.

I was mostly on point with my description. Link

I've never been against hazing all together. When I made SGT I went through it like everyone before me, when done correctly it's a physical welcoming to a corps and not a "punishment" of any kind.

What these derps did was stupid, but they are bammers... I'm just surprised they didn't all kill each other for not being sad enough over the ole miss loss.

I was mostly on point with my description. Link

^This, Wednesday's arrests, white sororities rejecting black pledges, sororities putting T&A videos on the internet...surely this is all having some effect on "The Machine's" grip on campus/student politics.

Reminds me of something I read the other day that reminds me of the UA Greek system and politics (Trump news, but not intended as a hijack--take the presidential politics to another thread): Trump opened Twitter/Facebook/other-social-media site for voters to ask him questions. The question that made me spit my scotch: "As leader of Slytherin, are you concerned that your association with Voldemort will hurt your chances of becoming the muggle president?" National politics aside, it could easily be a question for some of the Greek houses in T-Town.

Geeze, those bimbos were the definition of self absorbed. SNL couldn't do a skit on that because it's already been done, in real life ? Oh, sorry... IRL !

They only reason you go to Cubs games is so you can be seen and party. If you are going for baseball then you go watch the White Sox in Chicago.

The video didn't work due to copywrites of MLB so no clue what stadium that occurred in.

Didn't Sigma Chi at Auburn get booted in 2013 for hazing, drugs, crappy GPA's, etc and won't be back until 2017? I know KA was removed for a bit for hazing at one point.

Taking shots at UA's hazing is kinda throwing bricks in a glass house.

Didn't Sigma Chi at Auburn get booted in 2013 for hazing, drugs, crappy GPA's, etc and won't be back until 2017? I know KA was removed for a bit for hazing at one point.

I thought the Sigs were scheduled to be back on campus in the fall of '16. Dunno the details of hazing at Auburn, but the buckets of ice and salt used in T'loser is worse than what we did to al -Qaeda detainees in Gitmo.

Authorities say the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity members several weeks ago made pledges stand in buckets of ice and salt, a combination which led to burns on the pledges' feet.

I don't recall any in Auburn being jailed for hazing. That's where your bricks in glass houses comparison fails.

I thought the Sigs were scheduled to be back on campus in the fall of '16. Dunno the details of hazing at Auburn, but the buckets of ice and salt used in T'loser is worse than what we did to al -Qaeda detainees in Gitmo.

Authorities say the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity members several weeks ago made pledges stand in buckets of ice and salt, a combination which led to burns on the pledges' feet.

I don't recall any in Auburn being jailed for hazing. That's where your bricks in glass houses comparison fails.

DeSanti said the charter was to be suspended until Jan. 2015, but the chapter has collectively decided to not return until at least 2017.

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2015/01/sigma-chi-fraternity-suspension-continued

Dunno the details of hazing at Auburn

Just cause they didn't get arrested does mean it wasn't cruel and dangerous. I do know some of the details, and no I'm not going to put them on this board.

Well, it means no one pressed charges, so there is that.

If I remember correctly it was because the pledges believed that the brothers in question would just be removed, then those pledges would be automatically initiated, and the fraternity would not lose its charter. There was some bartering going on with the situation. I either read that or someone told me about it, been too long to remember.

Meanwhile sorority members attend a MLB game to take selfies...............

http://youtu.be/gr_SFg6B668

And now those girls have flipped the tables on Fox shaming them and brought awareness and donations to a cause:

Alpha Chi Omega at Arizona State University would like to thank the Arizona Diamondbacks and Fox Sports for reaching out to the chapter after last night’s game and subsequent media frenzy. We appreciate their generous offer of tickets to tonight’s game. However, instead of chapter members attending the game, we have asked the Diamondbacks and Fox Sports to provide tickets to a future game for families at A New Leaf, a local non-profit that helps support victims of domestic violence.

Today, October 1, marks the beginning of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. If everyone who viewed this statement took the time to make a donation in recognition of domestic violence awareness, which is Alpha Chi Omega’s national philanthropy, we would be so grateful! We are happy to have the opportunity to shed some positive light on such a sensitive subject. All proceeds will go directly to A New Leaf to help struggling Arizona families get back on their feet by providing housing, food, childcare and more. You can donate using the link below. We appreciate your support!

http://www.fastcompa...ming-into-a-sel

Maybe they can distract the Astro's tonight so my Rangers can be insured the AL West title.

Did FOX announcers really " shame " them ? Or did they simply point out how ridiculous they all looked while a live baseball game was taking place, and not a damn one of them noticed. It was humorous anecdotal observation. Pretty common fair for baseball announcers. :gofig:

Props to the sorority for making lemonade out of the situation, and showing a bit of class. Nice use of the attention to do something positive.

Maybe if the DBacks were not under .500 and 13 games back in their division the girls would have something better to do than take selfies? Perhaps the announcers would then have had actual baseball stuff to pay attention to (during a live baseball game) and discuss and not have to go searching for a group of girls in the stadium for topics?

Or even better. If you don't want people taking selfies at games then your organization and its sponsors shouldn't ask its fans to take selfies between innings, post them to twitter and try and be the Tmobile strong fan of the game.

Moments after asking Diamondback fans to take selfies and post them to Twitter, D-backs TV commentators Steve Berthiaume and Bob Brenly couldn't stop joking about a group of ASU Alpha Chi Omega sorority sisters doing just that at Wednesday night's game.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/asu-sorority-girls-teased-for-taking-selfies-at-arizona-diamondbacks-game-7709158

So the girls do something positive with it to help families and your response to that is to defend the announcers and be concerned the girls didn't pay adequate enough attention to the game.

Old guys probably didn't understand what they were being told to read, so when these girls went to town after being asked to take selfies, well, that's what college age girls do. Better and more enthusiastically than anyone.

Archived