09 30 15 Notes

RunInRed

It's the discipline in the footwork, body language, and eyes that sells routes. If you study somebody well enough you can even tell by their stance, of course they are coached to line up the same way every time but in everything some are better than others. That's coming from a db's perspective, if anybody cares.

Well we know that RL calls at least a few plays because that slant that JJ threw to Duke near the goal line in the UL game Gus wasn't happy with the playcall (go figure we almost scored on it and it was a laser of a throw although might've been the wrong read) RL is seen talking to Gus as saying "I didn't call that"

Isn't duke the type of receiver that doesn't have to be wide open to make a play on the ball? I'm not talking about throwing to him when he is triple covered, but give him some opportunities to make plays. With that in mind I think as SW's confidence goes up we will see more throws his way. Even some of those back shoulder, to the sideline throws that either he makes a catch or no one does kinda plays should be tried more.

Agree. For the life of me i didn't understand why we didn't even attempt to throw one fade to Duke in the endzone while in the redzone. NOT ONE! We have one of the best WRs in CFB and we don't even give him a shot to go up and get the football. If there is any point and time where we could force the ball to Duke...that would be the time.

we did against JSU...he ran a stop.

One instance though? How many times were we in the red zone against MSU? That's not acceptable. We didn't even try against MSU. I get the points but i just don't see Duke as a large blame for our passing game. Not sure if "blame" is the right word....just seems he's getting more critiqued than the other WRs. I consider this WR group one of the best Auburn has had in a very long time so Duke doesn't have to do this alone. Where are and what's going on with the other WRs?

One thing I would like to see is more changing of the play count. I don't see any hard counts, I don't see any quick counts or delayed counts. It is to easy to read when the ball will be hiked. Have a Played called and when everybody stops and looks at the coaches hike the ball once or twice a game. Every time we stop I see defenses moving around we could catch them moving and not having enough time to react.

I have seen HS teams do this so please don't say we have to many young players. If they know what the count is they shouldn't jump. The way we never change the play count takes away one of the offenses advantages of knowing the count.

I laugh at all the comments about our routes being simple. Guys, there are only handful of routes. There are different route combinations and breaks, but, essentially, there are the same routes as other teams across the country. And, believe it or not, most every DB we play against knows exactly what route is being run within the first 3-5 steps.

Yes, just Google the " passing route tree" I believe it's called? Only so many, but when you add combos and crossing(pick) type routes is where the complexity comes in.

I laugh at all the comments about our routes being simple. Guys, there are only handful of routes. There are different route combinations and breaks, but, essentially, there are the same routes as other teams across the country. And, believe it or not, most every DB we play against knows exactly what route is being run within the first 3-5 steps.

Yes, just Google the " passing route tree" I believe it's called? Only so many, but when you add combos and crossing(pick) type routes is where the complexity comes in.

Yup it's called passing concepts. For example you have the "mills" concept which uses a post and a square end to put pressure on the safety. Then you have the levels concept which is a combo of outs or ins at different distances. I think where people want to see more "complexity" is seeing passes designed to get a guy open like a drag running under a clear out route. However that is a bit harder to do when trying to go uptempo.

As I sit here watching Bonanza for the 4th time today, I am trying to digest all of what is being said on this topic. I finished my Raisin and Cinnamon Lender's Bagel topped with honey, and am now fit to join in this discussion. My guess is that Rhett suggests plays to Gus for approval to run the particular play.

I have always been a firm believer that 99.9% of all plays called, could have been successful ones if they are carried out by the 11 offensive players all doing exactly what they should do to make that particular play work the way it was designed to. If you will pay very close attention to each play that is being run, look to see if you can find each player that does not do his job correctly on that particular play. If you do this, you will gain a better appreciation of play calling by the coaches.

Conversely, it the D's job to make the O perform poorly. Sometimes we only need to make one person miss an assignment to be successful.

Well we know that RL calls at least a few plays because that slant that JJ threw to Duke near the goal line in the UL game Gus wasn't happy with the playcall (go figure we almost scored on it and it was a laser of a throw although might've been the wrong read) RL is seen talking to Gus as saying "I didn't call that"

Good point. I don't understand why we don't call more quick slants to Duke. That route is almost impossible to cover--especially with a big-bodied WR--and it requires virtually no reading of the defense. Our passing game thus far has seemed to be almost entirely horizontal and slants could bring the middle of the field back into play. And if we really want to get fancy, we could take some shots downfield :o (which should be a low-risk play if the QBs are taught to favor overthrowing versus underthrowing).

Sure, the quick slant works if the receiver clears the initial clutter and the LB doesn't drop into the route to intercept the ball, which happened to JJ more than once. The problem is, neither QB is really accustomed to the speed of the game. And with SW at QB, MSU was blitzing like crazy, so he really was at a disadvantage. At some point, the game will slow down some for the QBs, they'll begin burning the blitzes and force Ds to defend the field.

But lets be prepared. SJSU will be blitzing on D just like MSU did. Auburn needs to figure out how to run the ball. Take some of the pressure off the QBs.

Sure, the quick slant works if the receiver clears the initial clutter and the LB doesn't drop into the route to intercept the ball, which happened to JJ more than once. The problem is, neither QB is really accustomed to the speed of the game. And with SW at QB, MSU was blitzing like crazy, so he really was at a disadvantage. At some point, the game will slow down some for the QBs, they'll begin burning the blitzes and force Ds to defend the field.

But lets be prepared. SJSU will be blitzing on D just like MSU did. Auburn needs to figure out how to run the ball. Take some of the pressure off the QBs.

Quick slants are perfect against blitzing defenses. With LBs moving forward that just leaves more room for the WR. JJ's interceptions have not come off of slant routes.

Quick slants are perfect against blitzing defenses. With LBs moving forward that just leaves more room for the WR. JJ's interceptions have not come off of slant routes.

Maybe not ones that count...but the flat out dropped pick 6 against LSU was a slant dropped by a LB I believe... Of course that's only 1 and doesn't show a pattern...but it was a pretty darn bad one

Archived