Auburn signs 10 year deal with Under Armour

TitanTiger

Titan, that was my point. We have coaches in every major sport that we want or wanted .

Now that the results are not good for this year what are people proposing that we do about it ? You can't just keep firing coaches every few years looking for some interpretation of success .

As for Wisconsin, they have a student body about twice the size of Auburn.....and. It's not just results on the football field.....though they seem to do pretty well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan, that was my point. We have coaches in every major sport that we want or wanted .

Now that the results are not good for this year what are people proposing that we do about it ? You can't just keep firing coaches every few years looking for some interpretation of success .

As for Wisconsin, they have a student body about twice the size of Auburn.....and. It's not just results on the football field.....though they seem to do pretty well.

It's not just this year though, Auburn is dead last in the SEC in the men's Big 3 sports in the last DECADE.

I don't know what can be done about the situation anymore. I do know that the BOT and the school President will not fire an Athletic Director when the department is making money, staying out of NCAA trouble in every dang sport, and when student-athletes are graduating at a high rate. For all of the faults that many want to point out about Jay Jacobs, the man is doing his freaking job and whether the on-the-field results are what "we" fans think they should be or not Jay is here to stay.

It's not just this year though, Auburn is dead last in the SEC in the men's Big 3 sports in the last DECADE.

I don't know what can be done about the situation anymore. I do know that the BOT and the school President will not fire an Athletic Director when the department is making money, staying out of NCAA trouble in every dang sport, and when student-athletes are graduating at a high rate. For all of the faults that many want to point out about Jay Jacobs, the man is doing his freaking job and whether the on-the-field results are what "we" fans think they should be or not Jay is here to stay.

I guess if JJ were making unpopular decisions with his coaching hires there might be some justification......but other than Chiz....every coach he brought in had a good resume in his / her sport, was well received an there was no reason to expect the poor results we've seen in the past 10 years.

Updated again ...

Auburn's deal now ranked as 5th w/ Under Armour ...

http://www.aufamily....h-under-armour/

As was posted in another thread: Behind Wis, Cal and UCLA? Thanks Jay.

Not exactly when it comes to Wisconsin. Our deal is for 9 years at $8.68 million per year while theirs is 10 years at $8.6M. That's about three-quarters of a million dollars more over the next 9 years than them and we'll get to rebid a year before they do.

The other factor to consider is that I believe re-outfitting all the teams is factored into the amount of the deal. Given that a school coming from another maker like Adidas has to get completely new stuff from head to toe for every single sport, that kicks their number up a good bit compared to someone like Auburn who was already an Under Armour school.

The anti Jacobs crowd doesn't like facts that don't fit their mantra.

Facts like how our three major men's teams did last season?
When did Jacobs start coaching men's sports? That's what I thought.

Facts like lessor schools are getting better financial deals with Under Armor and Nike than we are?

Titan already debunked that little nugget.
Facts like the End Zone renovation mismanaged debacle? Those facts?

Unless you are part of the athletic department, which I thank God you aren't, then you have no idea where this project stands. You are using it as a talking point to support your stance without anything to support it. But, you feel free to keep beating that anti jacobs drum to your hearts content.

I'll repeat again, its easy to sit back and criticize someone for their job performance without having one iota of knowledge of what it takes to run a major D1 program. Let me know when you are in charge of an athletic department the size of Auburn. I won't be holding my breath.

Updated again ...

Not exactly when it comes to Wisconsin. Our deal is for 9 years at $8.68 million per year while theirs is 10 years at $8.6M. That's about three-quarters of a million dollars more over the next 9 years than them and we'll get to rebid a year before they do.

The other factor to consider is that I believe re-outfitting all the teams is factored into the amount of the deal. Given that a school coming from another maker like Adidas has to get completely new stuff from head to toe for every single sport, that kicks their number up a good bit compared to someone like Auburn who was already an Under Armour school.

Facts like how our three major men's teams did last season?
When did Jacobs start coaching men's sports? That's what I thought.

He doesn't but he is responsible for who he hires. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Updated again ...

Yea, those pesky facts like Wisky's deal is 9.6 million a year and Auburn actually only moves up above Cal on the list, so we are 4th and I expect ready to fall more as more deals are made. I wonder if we have the don't change our Unis fee in the contract which lowered our price point. Some of these schools also have more sports than Auburn therefore.... more money.

Wisky's deal isn't $9.6M per year, it's $8.6M per...which is lower than Auburn's on a per year basis.

Not trying to stir the pot, but isn't a 10 year deal worth $96 million a $9.6 million/year contract?

Updated again ...

Yea, those pesky facts like Wisky's deal is 9.6 million a year and Auburn actually only moves up above Cal on the list, so we are 4th and I expect ready to fall more as more deals are made. I wonder if we have the don't change our Unis fee in the contract which lowered our price point. Some of these schools also have more sports than Auburn therefore.... more money.

Wisky's deal isn't $9.6M per year, it's $8.6M per...which is lower than Auburn's on a per year basis.

Not trying to stir the pot, but isn't a 10 year deal worth $96 million a $9.6 million/year contract?

Sorry, I meant Cal, not Wisconsin.

war Tiger in case you missed it AU was fourth overall in the SEC in all sports for this year and that was ahead of uat . Last I looked AD was over all sports so I guess Jacobs is not doing to bad. Just the facts. By he way his biggest job is PR and raising money and he does that really well. I hope you don't have a boss that rates you on just one aspect of your job. WDE

war Tiger in case you missed it AU was fourth overall in the SEC in all sports for this year and that was ahead of uat . Last I looked AD was over all sports so I guess Jacobs is not doing to bad. Just the facts. By he way his biggest job is PR and raising money and he does that really well. I hope you don't have a boss that rates you on just one aspect of your job. WDE

I understand JJ does more than hire coaches. But your reference to PR and raising money is directly related to winning, and if your major revenue programs are NOT winning, then he will not be successful raising money and doing PR...

I understand JJ does more than hire coaches. But your reference to PR and raising money is directly related to winning, and if your major revenue programs are NOT winning, then he will not be successful raising money and doing PR...

He's made AU money & players are graduating.. That means Gogue is happy. If Gogue is happy JJ is safe for now.

He's made AU money & players are graduating.. That means Gogue is happy. If Gogue is happy JJ is safe for now.

yep

I think to dismiss any Jacobs ditractors would be foolish.

Men's basketball: (11-20) 13th in the SEC.

Men's baseball: (8-22 in SEC play) (23-33 overall) 13th in the SEC.

Men's football: (7-6) 10th in the SEC and dead last in the West.

Men's Tennis: (2-11) in SEC play (12-14) overall. 13th in the SEC.

No Men's soccer team even exists

Not ranked in Track and Field considering six SEC teams are in the top 25.

All pretty terrible. We should not be a bottom feeder team in every Men's sport.

p

Seems to me that Jacobs hired the coaches that had great support from Auburn fans . He can't do the coaching on the field . I guess the issue is how much longer Auburn people will put up with the records that Gus and Bruce have rung up. Thus far people seem happy with Butch , despite the record this year .

No doubt men's program is in disarray . I'm just wondering what changes (other than JJ) folks want to see.?

Not necessarily saying it's his fault. Bruce Pearl should have been a guarenteed success and Gus is pulling a Gene on us with instant success followed by dissapointment.

The thing is, when everything is terrible it falls on the man at the top.

All pretty terrible. We should not be a bottom feeder team in every Men's sport.

p

Seems to me that Jacobs hired the coaches that had great support from Auburn fans . He can't do the coaching on the field . I guess the issue is how much longer Auburn people will put up with the records that Gus and Bruce have rung up. Thus far people seem happy with Butch , despite the record this year .

No doubt men's program is in disarray . I'm just wondering what changes (other than JJ) folks want to see.?

Not necessarily saying it's his fault. Bruce Pearl should have been a guarenteed success and Gus is pulling a Gene on us with instant success followed by dissapointment.

Bruce will be success. Give it time. Barbee left in a total sess pool.

p

Yep.

p

Really? I wonder who hired Barbee, Chiz and our last three baseball coaches? Was it the same AD that got rid of Marsh?

p

Really? I wonder who hired Barbee, Chiz and our last three baseball coaches? Was it the same AD that got rid of Marsh?

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can achieve greatly."

Archived