Another mass shooting at a college campus

tgr4lfe

Interesting database to peruse: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

I find it interesting when reading the ones from the early 20th century or earlier, all the shootings were either accidents, over a disagreement between two people (students v. student or teacher v. student, etc), or because someone attacked the other. But nothing beyond that on purpose anyway. In other words, a particular person was targeted and generally for a reason (argument, jealousy, spurned affections, retaliation, etc.)

But then the 1960s hit and you have the guy in the tower at UT-Austin randomly shooting people he doesn't know in 1966. A copycat in Arizona shoots 7 people he doesn't know later that year. Three more of those types of killings happen in the 70s. Three more in the 80s. Then I count 8 or 9 in the 90s. It just keeps going up. More and more of them are random. Students or teachers shot simply because the shooter encounters them, not because of any specific insult or injury they committed against him.

What does that say about us?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like it or not, admit it or not, there are many Christians that can be incredibly judgmental and display a sense of superiority based on them being Christian and will be the dominate religion in the US.

Or they can simply be perceived that way even if they aren't because we have come to a place in modern society where the mere belief that there are objective truths at all is deemed offensive by some.

I've been thinking about this all day. I'd like to hear some civil input on this. I'm not hinting at gun control ala Britain or Canada. I'm just trying to understand this.

My question:

What is it about the United States that this country has so many of these incidents? What about this culture makes gun violence so prevalent?

Glorification of it. Through television, movies, music, video games. Mean Grand Theft Auto is one of the top 10 all time selling franchises and the purpose of the game is to be a criminal. We glorify war, we brag about football being the best sport due to its violence etc etc etc. Makes me think of the old Queensyrche song "Got an AK-47 for his best friend... business the American way" (song of course was about a kid building a drug empire and the losing propositions of it)

TV and video games are then the babysitters and role models in the homes. Even with the well off families. Mothers and fathers are caught up in careers that work them 8-6 with two hour commutes and then require them to be plugged into their job through phone or laptop. They have zero clue what is going on with their kids. They then show affection through gifts... as mentioned above entitlement. Just its done to say I love you cause the parents are not there. Then if the kid acts out for attention they blame others, buy the kids way out of it, etc.

This shooter has a history of mental illness it appears (was in a school for it, removed from the army) and care for that is severely lacking in the United States. Alabama alone ranked 49th in access for care prior to shutting down many clinics and leaving the 30k something people it treated in the cold. Many countries these individuals with mental health issues are identified early and receive on going treatment.

They don't have the access to the weapons that we do in the United States. Legal or illegal. Like it or not, access plays a role.

Some things I can think of.

Some facts:

Per the FBI

• 1% of US murders are classified as "mass murders" (involving 4 victims or more).
  • Fifteen percent (ie., 15%) of the 1% are mass killings like Newtown or what happened yesterday.
  • So, .0001 of all murders are murders in the US are like Roseburg
  • The 85% of the 1%, happen mostly within families (breakups, family arguments, etc.).
  • Guns account for 75% of the mass killing deaths.
  • In the gun related mass killings; 18% used a rifle of some kind... 73% used a handgun. The balance a shotgun.
  • The other 25% of mass killings used knifes, baseball bats, other blunt force trama, fire, etc.
  • The peoples republic of Kalifornia is responsible to the highest number of mass killings...they have the most stringent gun control laws of any state...extending to the classically mis-identified assault weapon and magazine ban.

The US homicide rate has nothing to do with mass killings. The cities driving the US murder rate are as follows in no particular order (again, thanks to the FBI with murder rates over 18 per 100,000):

Stockton, CA

Detroit, MI...#1 by a landslide with over 55 murders per 100k

St. Louis, MO

Kansas City, MO

Newark, NJ

New York City, NY

Baltimore, MA

Chicago, IL

Buffalo, NY

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

New Orleans ... a very close #2 to Detroit @53

What do these places have in common and when is His Worship going to come out and have a serious discussion about dealing with these causes?

Links please sir.

Like it or not, admit it or not, there are many Christians that can be incredibly judgmental and display a sense of superiority based on them being Christian and will be the dominate religion in the US.

Or they can simply be perceived that way even if they aren't because we have come to a place in modern society where the mere belief that there are objective truths at all is deemed offensive by some.

Bingo.

Or they can just be righteous aholes who think their s*** doesn't stink and look down on others because they believe themselves the guardians of right and wrong and cast judgement down upon others like they are the Almighty themselves.

Note that in my original statement I didn't say Christians period... or all Christians... or every Christian.... or the majority of Christians,or the religion of Christianity itself.

Are you saying that there are zero snobby, elitist, ahole Christians and everything is the fault of the other individuals misreading every single Christian in America. How then is it that other Christians think the church I attend is full of snobby ahole elitist seeing as the the belief system should be almost identical?

Sounds like the shooter was as black as Obama. Mixed race & all. But does this make him " white " , like George Zimmerman was a " white-Hispanic "?

What is the point of this observation?

To point out the illogical inconsistency of the MSM. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Or they can just be righteous aholes who think their s*** doesn't stink and look down on others because they believe themselves the guardians of right and wrong and cast judgement down upon others like they are the Almighty themselves.

Note that in my original statement I didn't say Christians period... or all Christians... or every Christian.... or the majority of Christians,or the religion of Christianity itself.

Are you saying that there are zero snobby, elitist, ahole Christians and everything is the fault of the other individuals misreading every single Christian in America. How then is it that other Christians think the church I attend is full of snobby ahole elitist seeing as the the belief system should be almost identical?

I would say there are more snobby, elitist, ahole liberals than Christians...why pick on Christians? Actually, I think every liberal is a snobby elitist...there are a couple that aren't aholes though. :-)

Explain to me how I can add an option in addition to yours, you get bent out of shape because you thought I was claiming you had indicted all Christians, then you turn and actually insinuate that I'm the one making broad assumptions? Do you get dizzy changing direction that quickly?

I simply stated a truth...that Christians also get painted as judgmental and superior acting when they've done nothing other than have some convictions on matters that others disagree with. That's a fact. Of course there are Christians who act like a horse's ass. I never said otherwise.

Some facts:

Per the FBI

• 1% of US murders are classified as "mass murders" (involving 4 victims or more).
  • Fifteen percent (ie., 15%) of the 1% are mass killings like Newtown or what happened yesterday.
  • The 85% of the 1%, happen mostly within families (breakups, family arguments, etc.).
  • In the gun related mass killings; 18% used a rifle of some kind... 73% used a handgun. The balance a shotgun.
  • The other 25% of mass killings used knifes, baseball bats, other blunt force trama, fire, etc.
  • The peoples republic of Kalifornia is responsible to the highest number of mass killings...they have the most stringent gun control laws of any state...extending to the classically mis-identified assault weapon and magazine ban.

The US homicide rate has nothing to do with mass killings. The cities driving the US murder rate are as follows in no particular order (again, thanks to the FBI with murder rates over 18 per 100,000):

Stockton, CA

St. Louis, MO

Kansas City, MO

Newark, NJ

New York City, NY

Baltimore, MA

Chicago, IL

Buffalo, NY

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

What do these places have in common and when is His Worship going to come out and have a serious discussion about dealing with these causes?

Links please sir.

FBI database and summaries using FBI database and Census data:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-1

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2014/11/10/fbi-crime-statistics/18808185/

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/the-fbis-bogus-report-on-mass-shootings/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/mass-shootings-increasing-harvard-research

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/18/mass-killings-common/1778303/

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0308.pdf

I've been thinking about this all day. I'd like to hear some civil input on this. I'm not hinting at gun control ala Britain or Canada. I'm just trying to understand this.

My question:

What is it about the United States that this country has so many of these incidents? What about this culture makes gun violence so prevalent?

Glorification of it. Through television, movies, music, video games. Mean Grand Theft Auto is one of the top 10 all time selling franchises and the purpose of the game is to be a criminal. We glorify war, we brag about football being the best sport due to its violence etc etc etc. Makes me think of the old Queensyrche song "Got an AK-47 for his best friend... business the American way" (song of course was about a kid building a drug empire and the losing propositions of it)

TV and video games are then the babysitters and role models in the homes. Even with the well off families. Mothers and fathers are caught up in careers that work them 8-6 with two hour commutes and then require them to be plugged into their job through phone or laptop. They have zero clue what is going on with their kids. They then show affection through gifts... as mentioned above entitlement. Just its done to say I love you cause the parents are not there. Then if the kid acts out for attention they blame others, buy the kids way out of it, etc.

This shooter has a history of mental illness it appears (was in a school for it, removed from the army) and care for that is severely lacking in the United States. Alabama alone ranked 49th in access for care prior to shutting down many clinics and leaving the 30k something people it treated in the cold. Many countries these individuals with mental health issues are identified early and receive on going treatment.

They don't have the access to the weapons that we do in the United States. Legal or illegal. Like it or not, access plays a role.

Some things I can think of.

Yep, that's some of it. "Tell 'em Mickey and Mallory sent you."

Explain to me how I can add an option in addition to yours, you get bent out of shape because you thought I was claiming you had indicted all Christians, then you turn and actually insinuate that I'm the one making broad assumptions? Do you get dizzy changing direction that quickly?

I simply stated a truth...that Christians also get painted as judgmental and superior acting when they've done nothing other than have some convictions on matters that others disagree with. That's a fact. Of course there are Christians who act like a horse's ass. I never said otherwise.

I asked a question, I didn't make an assumption. I asked are you saying there are zero ahole Christians, and if so then why the view of one church vs another.

I am not bent out of shape. And you do have a tendency to try and correct me about Christians if I mention the smallest something within the group I do not like. Like when I actually knew baseball players and the automatic response was they are just disgruntled and can't handle it, religion played no part in playing time. Whether you mean to or not, when it comes to anything Christian many times you discount my life experiences. So when you were just adding an option in response to me, it does come across more as correcting than just adding an option. And yes I agree, there are those that are just set in ways and will say screw Christians and everything they say is preaching and take it all wrong.

Let us also not forget that I was tying in why it would be possible for Christianity, and him specifically calling out Christians, to play a role in the beta uprising concept. Why I mentioned it being the dominant religion (and he dislikes organized religion) in the US. In fact if he were to have asked if they were Muslim he would have played right into the very thing he would be against. Bias and hatred of Muslims in America atm is a normie thing. I pointed out that it was suggested in the 4chan to pick a group and not just randomly target and spray.

None of you are saying hey maybe he misunderstood or are defending the normies, the Chads and the Stacys which would also play a significant role. Don't see someone saying well maybe he just misunderstood the hot liberal girl he tried to pick up, she wasn't being a bitch, but he couldn't handle rejection and thus took it all the wrong way. She was just being loyal to her boyfriend when she turned him down.

I mentioned Normies, Chads, Stacys all contributing to the beta uprising concept through mistreatment. I mentioned why I thought Satanism was out. I then also mention why I think Christianity was the target. The only thing anyone brought out about the entire post was the Christianity part.

Some facts:

Per the FBI

Stockton, CA

St. Louis, MO

Kansas City, MO

Newark, NJ

New York City, NY

Baltimore, MA

Chicago, IL

Buffalo, NY

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

Links please sir.

https://www.fbi.gov/.../tables/table-1

http://www.freep.com...stics/18808185/

http://www.theguardi...-crime-us-state

http://nypost.com/20...mass-shootings/

http://www.motherjon...arvard-research

http://www.usatoday....common/1778303/

http://www.census.go...les/12s0308.pdf

Thanks, I just like comparing how they do their measures to the measures of some others and how cities rank differently in regards to violence.

220px-Baphomet.png

https://en.wikipedia...right-hand_path

The terms Left-Hand Path and Right-Hand Path refer to a dichotomy between two opposing approaches found in Western esotericism, which itself covers various groups involved in the occult and ceremonial magic. In some definitions, the Left-Hand Path is equated with malicious Black magic and the Right-Hand Path with benevolent White magic.[1]:152

Speechless.

Actor James Woods: 'Hate Crime Massacre of Christians Finally Silences Obama'

Actor James Woods, who often takes to Twitter to express political views, has been using the forum to comment on the yesterday's murders at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.

26 year-old gunman Chris Harper Mercer opened fire on the campus on Thursday, killing nine people and wounding seven. Mercer reportedly singled out Christians for death by asking the religion of potential victims before firing on them. Mercer was then shot and killed by law enforcement.

In a series of tweets on October 2, Woods argued that because the victims were Christian, both President Obama and the media would lose interest in the story.

"NY Times writes a front page story about a hate massacre targeting Christians without using the word 'Christians,'" Woods tweeted, linking to story in the New York Times. Then: "If it is determined that the Oregon shooter targeted Christians specifically, that's the last we will hear of it on MSM [mainstream media]."

Woods then tweeted about President Obama's potential reaction to the crime: "Now that it is recognized that the terrible Oregon tragedy was an assault on Christians, will the President still sing Amazing Grace there?" Finally Woods tweeted a picture of the president with the comment: "Hate crime massacre of Christians finally silences Obama. #LiberalLaryngitis."

And you do have a tendency to try and correct me about Christians if I mention the smallest something within the group I do not like.

I don't correct you, I simply add additional perspective. Christians aren't always great. They do often act in ways that repel people. But they are also some of the most selfless, giving people out there and that side doesn't really get much play unless another Christian mentions it. So yeah, I point out the other side of things to counter what seems to be a popular misconception from time to time.

Like when I actually knew baseball players and the automatic response was they are just disgruntled and can't handle it, religion played no part in playing time. Whether you mean to or not, when it comes to anything Christian many times you discount my life experiences. So when you were just adding an option in response to me, it does come across more as correcting than just adding an option. And yes I agree, there are those that are just set in ways and will say screw Christians and everything they say is preaching and take it all wrong.

I simply said there was zero proof of their accusations. You're passing along secondhand info. You didn't sit there and watch it happen. You can't speak to the coaches' motives. I have no doubt you accurately told us what they believed. What I questioned was whether they were accurate in their judgment of the coaches. I'd make the same observation if the players had all been Christians and accused a more non-religious coach of treating them poorly because of they were Christians.

Let us also not forget that I was tying in why it would be possible for Christianity, and him specifically calling out Christians, to play a role in the beta uprising concept. Why I mentioned it being the dominant religion (and he dislikes organized religion) in the US. In fact if he were to have asked if they were Muslim he would have played right into the very thing he would be against. Bias and hatred of Muslims in America atm is a normie thing. I pointed out that it was suggested in the 4chan to pick a group and not just randomly target and spray.

None of you are saying hey maybe he misunderstood or are defending the normies, the Chads and the Stacys which would also play a significant role. Don't see someone saying well maybe he just misunderstood the hot liberal girl he tried to pick up, she wasn't being a bitch, but he couldn't handle rejection and thus took it all the wrong way. She was just being loyal to her boyfriend when she turned him down.

I mentioned Normies, Chads, Stacys all contributing to the beta uprising concept through mistreatment. I mentioned why I thought Satanism was out. I then also mention why I think Christianity was the target. The only thing anyone brought out about the entire post was the Christianity part.

I don't have a problem with that.

Look, just getting back to my earlier question...I don't care about ideology here. I support gun ownership. I own guns myself. But looking at this graphic, I simply ask one question: What do we need to do to make our stats match or beat these countries. I don't want excuses, I want ideas.

11930746_671165486317614_1036681546252576810_o.png

Some facts:

Per the FBI

Stockton, CA

St. Louis, MO

Kansas City, MO

Newark, NJ

New York City, NY

Baltimore, MA

Chicago, IL

Buffalo, NY

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

Links please sir.

Thanks, I just like comparing how they do their measures to the measures of some others and how cities rank differently in regards to violence.

Yeah, the cities vary a little by year...the one I left out because of it's unique status was DC...which is in the top 3. I also included opposing views to the IBM database; or rather views that tried to correct the database. The Post pointed out about 50 of the reported incidents that weren't really mass killings...or killings at all...and MJN reported some that were missed...either way; you get mass killings averaging about 1% of all killings and 15% of those like Roseburg...doesn't change the basic stats. Politicians want to keep using these incidents to put forward their views...but they are irrelevant to the US murder stats. US murder is driven by 15 urban centers...almost exclusively using handguns...and grossly disproportionately blacks killing blacks. It is a pathology in communities where the black family has been destroyed. But, we can't address that as politicians or a nation. To do so points to the failings of the policies of both parties. So instead, we scream about Roseburg; instead of the 57 people shot this week in Chicago ( 4 were killed). And this happens every week....

Interesting database to peruse: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

I find it interesting when reading the ones from the early 20th century or earlier, all the shootings were either accidents, over a disagreement between two people (students v. student or teacher v. student, etc), or because someone attacked the other. But nothing beyond that on purpose anyway. In other words, a particular person was targeted and generally for a reason (argument, jealousy, spurned affections, retaliation, etc.)

But then the 1960s hit and you have the guy in the tower at UT-Austin randomly shooting people he doesn't know in 1966. A copycat in Arizona shoots 7 people he doesn't know later that year. Three more of those types of killings happen in the 70s. Three more in the 80s. Then I count 8 or 9 in the 90s. It just keeps going up. More and more of them are random. Students or teachers shot simply because the shooter encounters them, not because of any specific insult or injury they committed against him.

What does that say about us?

I tend to agree that the problem has evolved into something quite different than is used to be, and some of that difference can be attributed to the proliferation of combat type weapons (as opposed to hunting weapons), including semi auto pistols, along with a mindset or fascination of para military activities.

While I can remember buying retired military (bolt action) rifles and ammo at K-Mart it's different now with the advent and availability of assault rifles and semi auto pistols. Just look at all the paramilitary and combat gun magazines in the grocery store. IMO this constitutes a social change.

I am not saying this is the issue, just a issue. It may be our society is producing more mentally disturbed individuals as well, but there is no doubt there are more just from population increase.

It may be just as simple as more disturbed people x increased availability of high capacity weapons = more mass shootings. But there is also a gun culture aspect playing an influence.

And before someone harps on it, I am perfectly aware of how many traditional hunting weapons - especially shotguns - are quite sufficient for mass shootings, but shotguns have been incorporated into the para military role just like assault rifles. Same thing with knives. The technical aspects don't define the culture I am referring to as much as the fascination with combat weapons, especially as it related to assault weapons (which I define broadly as semi-auto weapons with detachable magazines).

And you do have a tendency to try and correct me about Christians if I mention the smallest something within the group I do not like.

I don't correct you, I simply add additional perspective. Christians aren't always great. They do often act in ways that repel people. But they are also some of the most selfless, giving people out there and that side doesn't really get much play unless another Christian mentions it. So yeah, I point out the other side of things to counter what seems to be a popular misconception from time to time.

Like when I actually knew baseball players and the automatic response was they are just disgruntled and can't handle it, religion played no part in playing time. Whether you mean to or not, when it comes to anything Christian many times you discount my life experiences. So when you were just adding an option in response to me, it does come across more as correcting than just adding an option. And yes I agree, there are those that are just set in ways and will say screw Christians and everything they say is preaching and take it all wrong.

I simply said there was zero proof of their accusations. You're passing along secondhand info. You didn't sit there and watch it happen. You can't speak to the coaches' motives. I have no doubt you accurately told us what they believed. What I questioned was whether they were accurate in their judgment of the coaches. I'd make the same observation if the players had all been Christians and accused a more non-religious coach of treating them poorly because of they were Christians.

I don't have a problem with that.

Fair enough. I'm cool with it.

Just remember that if I point something out that I am not trying to put out a misconception of Christians. I am very aware of the other side.

Look, just getting back to my earlier question...I don't care about ideology here. I support gun ownership. I own guns myself. But looking at this graphic, I simply ask one question: What do we need to do to make our stats match or beat these countries. I don't want excuses, I want ideas.

11930746_671165486317614_1036681546252576810_o.png

We need a culture change. Though I don't know how to do that to be honest.

Improvements in the mental health system.

And then ways of limiting access to firearms.

Some facts:

Per the FBI

Stockton, CA

St. Louis, MO

Kansas City, MO

Newark, NJ

New York City, NY

Baltimore, MA

Chicago, IL

Buffalo, NY

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

Links please sir.

Yeah, the cities vary a little by year...the one I left out because of it's unique status was DC...which is in the top 3. I also included opposing views to the IBM database; or rather views that tried to correct the database. The Post pointed out about 50 of the reported incidents that weren't really mass killings...or killings at all...and MJN reported some that were missed...either way; you get mass killings averaging about 1% of all killings and 15% of those like Roseburg...doesn't change the basic stats. Politicians want to keep using these incidents to put forward their views...but they are irrelevant to the US murder stats. US murder is driven by 15 urban centers...almost exclusively using handguns...and grossly disproportionately blacks killing blacks. It is a pathology in communities where the black family has been destroyed. But, we can't address that as politicians or a nation. To do so points to the failings of the policies of both parties. So instead, we scream about Roseburg; instead of the 57 people shot this week in Chicago ( 4 were killed). And this happens every week....

I highly disagree with the shootings in Chicago being just because the black family has been destroyed. From having lived there and having been down to those neighborhoods.

Majority of those shootings in Chicago are business related. Its about control of the drug territory.

I'm personally curious about the recent 75 heroin OD's that occurred in the last 72 hours. Is it just someone cutting the stuff for profit, or is someone trying to bad name someone else s product.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-heroin-overdoses-met-20151002-story.html

Then these are the customers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/lives-lost-suburban-fatal-heroin-overdoses/

You will see a large number of those kids that OD off it in the past are from Naperville. Which is like 82% white and 15% or so Asian with a average income of over 100k.

One victim says he wasn't targeting Christians, was just inquiring.

Despite some reports to the contrary, McGowan said Harper-Mercer didn't appear to target Christians in particular.

"He didn't really, honestly," McGowan said in a quiet voice while standing on the doorstep of his house in Roseburg, Oregon, on Saturday morning.

McGowan’s right arm was wrapped up after surgery from a gunshot wound.

"Obviously he was asking what religion, but he wasn't really just targeting. He was kind of just saying, 'Oh, since you have a God, you'll be joining him in a little bit," McGowan told The News.

"It wasn't really like, 'I'm targeting you and I'm going to kill you,'" he said.

McGowan said the calm killer seemed resigned to taking his own life, too.

"He kind of mentioned periodically that basically he was going to shoot himself. He was like, 'I'll be joining you guys in a little bit.' That kind of thing," McGowan said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oregon-shooters-suicide-after-rampage-was-planned-survivor/ar-AAf47xu?li=AAa0dzB

Archived