Yes. Government Money Does Corrupt Science

AFTiger

Jagadish Shukla’s #RICO20 blunder may have opened the ‘largest science scandal in US history’

Anthony Watts / 5 mins ago October 2, 2015

Yesterday, Shukla and GMU got notice that they have piqued the interest of a congressional committee, and via a written notice are required to preserve documents for an impending Congressional investigation and to provide proof that all employees of IGES/COLA have been notified that they are aware they can’t destroy documents. As we follow the unraveling behind the scenes and new FOIA documentation, rumors of some aberrant behavior in the past have begun to surface from former colleagues that suggest we might be dealing with the same sort of ego induced blindness that led to the downfall of IPCC chairman Rajenda Pachauri. The combination of information WUWT is being given behind the scenes suggests to me that this episode is going to get far worse for Shukla and GMU before it gets better.

At issue is at least 63.5 million dollars from the National Science Foundation, and where it went, whether it was used for the purpose intended, and who benefited from that money. The problem at hand seems to be that there may have been more than a little “double dipping” going on with that grant money as Steve McIntyre pointed out in Shukla’s Gold:

No, can't be...scientists aren't really human beings and therefore subject to "human nature" . All scientists are the descendants of an ancient race of space creatures who moved beyond temporal things and achieved a state of enlightenment such that things like Greed, Pride, Envy, Jealousy, Sloth, Gluttony and Lust simply don't apply to them...even my words are in insult in that I actually referred to them as "them" since to speak their names must be an abomination; NAY, such human failings can't apply to this magnanimously intellectually pure guardians of truth, justice and the climatically changed way...

I can tell you for a fact after working for NASA for 36 years that funding corrupts scientists. I can also say from first hand interfaces the same applies to the Depts. of Energy, Agriculture, Education, et. al.

I can tell you for a fact after working for NASA for 36 years that funding corrupts scientists. I can also say from first hand interfaces the same applies to the Depts. of Energy, Agriculture, Education, et. al.

PT, sorry, just can't buy that. You cannot tell me a scientist or bureaucrat; or a scientist-bureaucrat; beholden to Big Brother for their living would make a decision solely for the purposes of personal gain or to perpetuate and elevate the power of their patron, ie., Big Brother...come on man, that's crazy talk. I mean, there's never been an example of that in human history now has there....OK, well maybe there has; OK, well maybe its actually been the norm of human history...but those American and UN bureaucrat-scientists are different...really....no, stop laughing...I mean really, really...OK, really, really, really...convinced now?

PT, sorry, just can't buy that. You cannot tell me a scientist or bureaucrat; or a scientist-bureaucrat; beholden to Big Brother for their living would make a decision solely for the purposes of personal gain or to perpetuate and elevate the power of their patron, ie., Big Brother...come on man, that's crazy talk. I mean, there's never been an example of that in human history now has there....OK, well maybe there has; OK, well maybe its actually been the norm of human history...but those American and UN bureaucrat-scientists are different...really....no, stop laughing...I mean really, really...OK, really, really, really...convinced now?

Careful....the sewing circle may not see your sarcasm and think you have jumped ship. ;)

Just as there are some corrupt capitalists, there are similar defects in individual scientists. It's funny, because the Left will fall over themselves to blast ALL of capitalism for a few bad apples, but turn a blind eye to the corruption and dishonesty when it comes to science. Even where there may be no intent to deceive, and scientist simply get something wrong, the Left will NEVER castigate science as it does the free market.

Archived