Sammie Coates in 2012

McLoofus

I remember when these comments came out. We generally just assumed it was a symptom of a completely dysfunctional team, a malcontent being allowed to run amok, proof that the inmates were running the asylum.

Auburn receiver Sammie Coates says the Tigers need more leadership after a 1-4 start, and called on his quarterbacks, the team's veterans and the young players to show it.

"We don't have leadership. The leadership has to come from somebody.

"Everybody talks about wanting to win, but nobody is showing how they want to win," Coates said Tuesday. "Everybody isn't buying into it"

This kid left Auburn as one of the better men this program has produced in a decade. Our current staff deserves some credit for that, but Coates clearly gave a damn as a young guy in 2012 when it seemed like nobody else did. Tre Mason and Dee Ford were a couple others.

This team is not like the 2012 team and I believe that we are trending in the right direction. And we might have some young guys like Coates on this team. But I'd love to see some anger out of the guys. I'd love to dispense with the "we just have to keep getting better each week" and "we just have to execute the game plan" and instead hear whatever the verbal equivalent of a fist going through a dry erase board is. I'd love to hear about a seniors only meeting, but if that didn't happen after LSU, I don't know when it will. It might have to come from the young guys. Really, I'd love any indication that these players really, truly are not okay with how the season has gone so far.

Sincerely,

Overly emotional and underly informed football fan

I can't remember if it was this board or another one but I applauded him coming out and saying that and I caught heat for it. I also told everybody he was going to really be missed but most scoffed at that.

I don't care he dropped passes, the way he stretched the field played as big of a role in our offense than anything. He was the single reason bammer defense was so messed up against us. People loved to complain about a couple of drops but two things about that. One, I don't remember him ever doing two in a row and many times we went right back to him. Two yeah you don't want drops but those two explosive plays he was good for?? Points on the board. Put a couple of explosive plays on each game this season we have one loss and people are looking at us in a different light.

Not having him is also a big reason why Duke's production has been so bad. People weren't doubling duke last year. Had to double Sammie outside leaving duke one on one inside and there's not too many db's winning that match up that often.

I can't remember if it was this board or another one but I applauded him coming out and saying that and I caught heat for it. I also told everybody he was going to really be missed but most scoffed at that.

I don't care he dropped passes, the way he stretched the field played as big of a role in our offense than anything. He was the single reason bammer defense was so messed up against us. People loved to complain about a couple of drops but two things about that. One, I don't remember him ever doing two in a row and many times we went right back to him. Two yeah you don't want drops but those two explosive plays he was good for?? Points on the board. Put a couple of explosive plays on each game this season we have one loss and people are looking at us in a different light.

Not having him is also a big reason why Duke's production has been so bad. People weren't doubling duke last year. Had to double Sammie outside leaving duke one on one inside and there's not too many db's winning that match up that often.

I was quietly more upset Sammy decided to go pro than I was happy Duke was coming back for that reason you stated. I felt Coates would be harder to replace by Stevens (whom hasn't exactly seen much pt) or Louis than Duke would be to be replaced by someone such as Ray. We have to have that legitimate deep threat for those seems in zone coverage to open up.

Bingo !!!

I was quietly more upset Sammy decided to go pro than I was happy Duke was coming back for that reason you stated. I felt Coates would be harder to replace by Stevens (whom hasn't exactly seen much pt) or Louis than Duke would be to be replaced by someone such as Ray. We have to have that legitimate deep threat for those seems in zone coverage to open up.

Agree

I'll admit, I was not a huge Sammie Coates fan. Yeah, he did some good things but his play was, mostly, inconsistent. At times he was spectacular. Other times, awful. But he was right about the leadership thing and the lack of leadership on this team is evident as well. In fact, leadership has been practically non-existent for several seasons now.

Loved Sammy. He dropped a few. He was also a converted wr so a little inconsistency would be expected. He gave it his all and made alot of huge plays for AU. Had he stayed, it would have made a difference for sure.

Archived