Doctors Without Borders Hospital Attacked in Afghansistan

autigeremt

Statement from ‎Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the Situation in Kunduz

Overnight I learned of a tragic incident involving a Doctors without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that came under fire. The area has been the scene of intense fighting the last few days. U.S. forces in support of Afghan Security Forces were operating nearby, as were Taliban fighters.

While we are still trying to determine exactly what happened, I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to everyone affected.

A full investigation into the tragic incident is underway in coordination with the Afghan government. At this difficult moment, we will continue to work with our Afghan partners to try and end the ongoing violence in and around Kunduz.

Unofficial sources indicated a USAF AC130 gun ship was firing at target in the area. That plane flies in a large circle around a ground target and fires it weapons including a 105mm howitzer. Looking at the map the hospital is in a built up area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/world/asia/afghanistan-bombing-hospital-doctors-without-borders-kunduz.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

This on the heels of a C-130 being downed ( by enemy fire ? ) just a few days ago too.

Terrible news, all around.

This from the institution that wants to lecture us about senseless violence that results from weapons of war in the hands of those who aren't responsible enough.

There's more to the story than that but a good point in this case.

This from the institution that wants to lecture us about senseless violence that results from weapons of war in the hands of those who aren't responsible enough.

I don't understand your point.

yea me either

Doctors w/ out Borders is flat out accusing the US of deliberately attacking the hospital.

DOCTORS Without Borders has accused US forces of deliberately attacking its hospital in Afghanistan, as a top US commander said the deadly air strikes were a mistake.

The hospital, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières, claims its medical facility in Kunduz was “deliberately bombed” three days ago, killing at least 22 people.

MSF’s international president Dr Joanne Liu alleges the bombing was a war crime, adding that buildings around the hospital were not damaged in the attack.

“Nothing can excuse violence against patients, medical workers and health facilities,” Dr Liu said. “Under international humanitarian law, hospitals in conflict zones are protected spaces. Until proven otherwise, the events of last Saturday amount to an inexcusable violation of this law.”

The international medical charity has called for an independent investigation into the incident.

I suppose there was 1 high value target in there, and we took out the whole building, just like we see happen in Hollywood movies.

<_<

Doctors w/ out Borders is flat out accusing the US of deliberately attacking the hospital.

DOCTORS Without Borders has accused US forces of deliberately attacking its hospital in Afghanistan, as a top US commander said the deadly air strikes were a mistake.

The hospital, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières, claims its medical facility in Kunduz was “deliberately bombed” three days ago, killing at least 22 people.

MSF’s international president Dr Joanne Liu alleges the bombing was a war crime, adding that buildings around the hospital were not damaged in the attack.

“Nothing can excuse violence against patients, medical workers and health facilities,” Dr Liu said. “Under international humanitarian law, hospitals in conflict zones are protected spaces. Until proven otherwise, the events of last Saturday amount to an inexcusable violation of this law.”

The international medical charity has called for an independent investigation into the incident.

I suppose there was 1 high value target in there, and we took out the whole building, just like we see happen in Hollywood movies.

<_</>

i am interested in the investigation into how, but intentional, i don't think so.

Could be a setup by the Afghans to force a full withdrawal.

Like this Prez needs a reason

The Afghans are tired of us being there so I'm good with it. We didn't go "All In" to begin with so why continue this waste of money and lives?

The Afghans are tired of us being there so I'm good with it. We didn't go "All In" to begin with so why continue this waste of money and lives?

Because if Obama is for it, Raptor is agin it.

Obama could issue a proclamation that Auburn is the true 2004 National Champion and Raptor would be violently opposed to it. :rolleyes:

Because if Obama is for it, Raptor is agin it.

Obama could issue a proclamation that Auburn is the true 2004 National Champion and Raptor would be violently opposed to it. :rolleyes:

spock-illogical.jpg

yea me either

Obama allowed bombs to be dropped on a hospital one day after exploiting a tragedy to call for heavier restrictions on gun ownership for us Mundanes. Seems ... illogical.

yea me either

Obama allowed bombs to be dropped on a hospital one day after exploiting a tragedy to call for heavier restrictions on gun ownership for us Mundanes. Seems ... illogical.

he allowed it?

Presidents have no say in the matter of who wins college football national titles. But I'm sure Homie would gladly accept Obama's authority on pretty much anything.

FYI homie - Obama is not lord & king of all of us. That's not how it works . Sorry to break the news to ya.

he allowed it?

Who is CoC ?

Who was said to have " allowed " the mis treatment of prisoners @ Abu Ghraib ?

Blame only applies some of the time now?

yea me either

Boom.....

Presidents have no say in the matter of who wins college football national titles. But I'm sure Homie would gladly accept Obama's authority on pretty much anything.

FYI homie - Obama is not lord & king of all of us. That's not how it works . Sorry to break the news to ya.

he allowed it?

Who is CoC ?

blame for a mistake in a military operation vs blame on a culture that gives every crazy bastard in the country a unchecked right to be armed for a military operation. You stretch it pretty thin. You may also have forgotten i have no problems with extraction of intelligence from the enemy by whatever means.

yea me either

Boom.....

That's totally absurd.

he allowed it?

Who is CoC ?

That's nuts. You compare a single friendly fire incident at the tactical level to a systematic policy to use torture on prisoners?

Your ODS just gets more and more fantastic. :rolleyes:

You may also have forgotten i have no problems with extraction of intelligence from the enemy by whatever means.

he allowed it?

Who is CoC ?

That's nuts. You compare a single friendly fire incident at the tactical level to a systematic policy to use torture on prisoners?

Your ODS just gets more and more fantastic. :rolleyes:

If you're talking bout waterboarding , the way it was administered by the U.S., and which yielded the location of UBL , then there's nothing left to say on the matter. I fully support enhanced interrogation to get UBL. Every day, any day. One of Obama's few ( maybe lone ) positives he's done for this country is get the F out of the way and let our guys taking down UBL.

Archived