What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

I was participating in a wedding and didn't get to see any of our game. The only TV we had available was stuck on the UA/UGA game (so at least I got to watch some good football). I followed the game thread as much as possible but would still appreciate yalls view on what, exactly, went down.

I don't understand weddings on football days in the south.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was participating in a wedding and didn't get to see any of our game. The only TV we had available was stuck on the UA/UGA game (so at least I got to watch some good football). I followed the game thread as much as possible but would still appreciate yalls view on what, exactly, went down.

We didn't improve as much as I would have liked to see on O, and the D looked like it regressed a bit. Other than the fact that the D forced 4 turnovers (which is nice) and Peyton scored 5 TDs (which is also nice), I didn't see much to be happy about. Kerryon Johnson again showed flashes. I would say that Byron Cowart improved some. We missed Tre at LB. I thought Mont Adams hustled a lot.

But the D was disappointing in many ways. We couldn't stop the run, or really much of anything SJSU tried, unless we got a turnover. I may be remembering wrong, but I think we only forced 1 punt all game.

The O was also disappointing. Barber's stats were boosted significantly by a couple of longer runs at the end of the game. Until those, he was fairly pedestrian. Sean White only threw 10 passes all game. We ran it a lot on first down (and second, and third).

The punting was awesome. The kicking was ok.

We didn't improve as much as I would have liked to see on O, and the D looked like it regressed a bit. Other than the fact that the D forced 4 turnovers (which is nice) and Peyton scored 5 TDs (which is also nice), I didn't see much to be happy about. Kerryon Johnson again showed flashes. I would say that Byron Cowart improved some. We missed Tre at LB. I thought Mont Adams hustled a lot.

But the D was disappointing in many ways. We couldn't stop the run, or really much of anything SJSU tried, unless we got a turnover. I may be remembering wrong, but I think we only forced 1 punt all game.

The O was also disappointing. Barber's stats were boosted significantly by a couple of longer runs at the end of the game. Until those, he was fairly pedestrian. Sean White only threw 10 passes all game. We ran it a lot on first down (and second, and third).

Nice breakdown, Britt. Very much appreciated.

:cheers:

I don't understand weddings on football days in the south.

Just means that the groom, despite being an Auburn grad, isn't really interested in football. You should've seen all the groomsmen with our phones out following different games. The wedding planner was having a conniption.

This is just my feeling on the matter and probably shared by many others. If you look at the last ten years, which is considered the best years of AU football by almost everyone on this board, except me. Our record against the biggest three schools on our schedule (ga,bama and lsu) is terrible. It takes miracle games for us to win, and usually we are on the losing end by embarrising scores.

As a fan, right now, you cant look honestly at the bama and ga games and say we have a shot at winning. That is were the frustration comes in as a fan when you know your two biggest rival games looks like we cant even compete.

Muschamp arrived to a train wreck on defense. The juniors and seniors in general are very undisciplined. Apparently unless the opposing o-line has to double team our rush end our d-line can't do much. Our linebackers save Garrett take plays off and are generally out of position to make plays. I will say all things considered our secondary is playing much better than last year.

CGM didn't go from an offensive genius to a complete idiot in an off season. If the sources here are reliable Lashlee is calling the plays. The play calling since the Louisville game has been very vanilla. I am pretty sure it was to give JJ confidence then help break in SW. The o-line has been underwhelming. This group has played enough games together at this point to gel. It hasn't happened as they struggled to open holes until they wore the SJS line down in the 4th quarter. The wr's are limited due to the vanilla play calling to protect the qb. The rb's have done pretty well considering the poor o-line play.

To sum it up it all starts in the trenches and until we get better line play on both sides of the ball we will continue to struggle on both sides of the ball.

this

I will second this motion!! D Line is getting NO push.

The only thing I would add is that the kickoff return game looked excellent.

Well, it looks like I missed a doozy of a game. How'd we do?

Peyton Barber had 5 TDs

Is that all you saw?

Obviously not. I've already posted in this thread and others what I saw.

Well he asked how we did.. Are you sayin screw you to Chimes too?

Wtf are you talking about Jeff

It did. Announcers on TV said that kick coverage was a concern the SJSU coaches mentioned to them pregame, so it's hard to tell whether it was us being good or them bad.

But the D was disappointing in many ways. We couldn't stop the run...

But, on the up side, we did hold their back to around 1/2 the yads he racked up the previous week.

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Im sorry but this is a load of crap.........what fans feel entitled? This thread is not a result of close win against a lesser opponent and we have played well in every other game and are 5-0 ranked in the top 10. Quite the opposite!

Is it unreasonable to question why our team is playing so poorly? Is it unreasonable with the history and tradition of Auburn along with the recent success in recruiting to expect our team to play well and be in contention for championships (conference first and then occasionally national) on a regular basis? The expectations of the Auburn fans I know are not to necessarily win every game but we should be competitive and well represented. They do, however, expect to be a top echelon team in the SEC. What that means to me and a lot of people I know is an expectation that Auburn should win 9 or 10 or 11 ballgames a year.

Occasionally there will be the down years of only 7 or 8 wins and the up years of 12 or 13 wins. If in your eyes that makes us weak a$$ fans so be it. Your opinion is just that.....an opinion..... no more valid or invalid than mine. For the record I have been going to Auburn games since the 1960's, am an alumni of Auburn, lived in Auburn for 11 total years and one of my daughters was a student athlete at Auburn. I love everything about Auburn but I do have expectations.

But the D was disappointing in many ways. We couldn't stop the run...

But, on the up side, we did hold their back to around 1/2 the yads he racked up the previous week.

Well, at #108 against the rush, we're much better than Fresno State at #118.

:homer:

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Exactly! Our top three QB's were recruited pro style. How's that gonna work?

Gee, it would almost make one think the coaches want a pro style, outstanding passer at QB. You know, the kind of QB so many fans have been wanting to see running the Auburn offense.

Ok, why have an outstanding passer and run the same offense only pass less? Why have an outstanding passer who is a smaller guy and run him like he is NM and dang near get him knocked unconscious?

I remember three long passes that White threw. One, at the goal line in the first quarter, Duke got out-fought for by a much smaller DB that knocked it to the ground. The second, J. Smith dropped. The third, Louis caught. I think if the WR's step up, our passing game will pose more of a threat. Attempting three bombs in one game isn't out of the norm, but until these catchable passes actually get caught the opponents are not going to be much distracted by a deep threat.

It did. Announcers on TV said that kick coverage was a concern the SJSU coaches mentioned to them pregame, so it's hard to tell whether it was us being good or them bad.

Same could be said about SJSU's run D?

Has anyone noticed Gus's demeanor this season? In pressers last season he seemed more interactive with the press, was more detailed and talkative, and just seemed more friendly. From the start of this season, he just seems to be annoyed and just goes through the pressers with a robotic dialogue.

This is from out there, but could it be that Gus is being directed to do things with this team by the PTB, and might be being undermined by those that fund this program? Seems that Chizik had the same demeanor as well.

He just looks miserable to me. Just a thought.

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Im sorry but this is a load of crap.........what fans feel entitled? This thread is not a result of close win against a lesser opponent and we have played well in every other game and are 5-0 ranked in the top 10. Quite the opposite!

Is it unreasonable to question why our team is playing so poorly? Is it unreasonable with the history and tradition of Auburn along with the recent success in recruiting to expect our team to play well and be in contention for championships (conference first and then occasionally national) on a regular basis? The expectations of the Auburn fans I know are not to necessarily win every game but we should be competitive and well represented. They do, however, expect to be a top echelon team in the SEC. What that means to me and a lot of people I know is an expectation that Auburn should win 9 or 10 or 11 ballgames a year.

Occasionally there will be the down years of only 7 or 8 wins and the up years of 12 or 13 wins. If in your eyes that makes us weak a$$ fans so be it. Your opinion is just that.....an opinion..... no more valid or invalid than mine. For the record I have been going to Auburn games since the 1960's, am an alumni of Auburn, lived in Auburn for 11 total years and one of my daughters was a student athlete at Auburn. I love everything about Auburn but I do have expectations.

With respect, I disagree that what I posted is "a load of crap." I think you need to read this whole thread again. I'm not criticizing just anyone who thinks we should be playing better. If you do happen to read the thread, you'll see that I feel that way, too.

But there are way too many posters who feel it is their 'right' to call for wholesale changes to the team (coaches/players) on the basis of their having paid for more wins or having a 'right' to a better performance. Those are the so-called fans I'm addressing -- the ones who feel entitled to say whatever they want.

I don't disagree with having high expectations for the team. I don't like the way the team is performing. I don't just say nice things about the team/coaches. But I also don't feel entitled to win or win a certain way.

Sorry if I haven't communicated the difference very well.

Same could be said about SJSU's run D?

Yep -- they're ranked #119 in the country.

Has anyone noticed Gus's demeanor this season? In pressers last season he seemed more interactive with the press, was more detailed and talkative, and just seemed more friendly. From the start of this season, he just seems to be annoyed and just goes through the pressers with a robotic dialogue.

This is from out there, but could it be that Gus is being directed to do things with this team by the PTB, and might be being undermined by those that fund this program? Seems that Chizik had the same demeanor as well.

Agreed -- I've noticed the same thing about his demeanor, Weegs.

With as many big ego CEOs and big business money people that fund the AU program and have to deal with their bammer peers ribbing them about AU not being as good as bama, is it too far-fetched to believe that these guys aren't in Gus's ear constantly with the "here is what you need to start doing..." bs and threats to his job?

I like the way the defense is progressing. Coach Boom is sitting guys that aren't making the effort and it's one of the reasons we're so young out there. That young D created 4 TOs yesterday but the offense still floundered

The O...everything starts at the OL and they just aren't clicking. It isn't helping that the WRs seem to be loafing out there too. To me, it seems the only WR going full speed every play is Ricardo. That needs to change. Laziness is contagious

With as many big ego CEOs and big business money people that fund the AU program and have to deal with their bammer peers ribbing them about AU not being as good as bama, is it too far-fetched to believe that these guys aren't in Gus's ear constantly with the "here is what you need to start doing..." bs and threats to his job?

Thats the truth. Mother had a friend in Chicago at church that asked her what War Eagle meant. The reason being was her boss was an AU Alumni that would actually have her call Tuberville, she knew they were connected when she heard the War Eagle.

I would hate to have to put up with that as a coach.

Been hearing stuff like this since for about my entire life ...30 plus years....who are these alleged people and do they not realize it ain't working...

Agreed -- I've noticed the same thing about his demeanor, Weegs.

you'd have a sour look on your face too if you were being payed $3m and were putting out a crap product. he knows he has a mess on his hands and that the Jax St win is probably going to be his signature win of the year...And a couple other posters nailed it. i pointed this out when the original depth charts came out....every transfer that came in took the spot of a returning player. now the "experts" on here told me i was wrong....but it is clear that our talent is just not that good...particularly their football IQ's. when you have Sr DBs and LBs that still can't make the defensive call you have BIG problems. yes we have development problems...but we have a huge recruiting problems. we get bedazzled by stars and can't see what's in the brain or heart.

Archived