What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Im sorry but this is a load of crap.........what fans feel entitled? This thread is not a result of close win against a lesser opponent and we have played well in every other game and are 5-0 ranked in the top 10. Quite the opposite!

Is it unreasonable to question why our team is playing so poorly? Is it unreasonable with the history and tradition of Auburn along with the recent success in recruiting to expect our team to play well and be in contention for championships (conference first and then occasionally national) on a regular basis? The expectations of the Auburn fans I know are not to necessarily win every game but we should be competitive and well represented. They do, however, expect to be a top echelon team in the SEC. What that means to me and a lot of people I know is an expectation that Auburn should win 9 or 10 or 11 ballgames a year.

Occasionally there will be the down years of only 7 or 8 wins and the up years of 12 or 13 wins. If in your eyes that makes us weak a$$ fans so be it. Your opinion is just that.....an opinion..... no more valid or invalid than mine. For the record I have been going to Auburn games since the 1960's, am an alumni of Auburn, lived in Auburn for 11 total years and one of my daughters was a student athlete at Auburn. I love everything about Auburn but I do have expectations.

With respect, I disagree that what I posted is "a load of crap." I think you need to read this whole thread again. I'm not criticizing just anyone who thinks we should be playing better. If you do happen to read the thread, you'll see that I feel that way, too.

But there are way too many posters who feel it is their 'right' to call for wholesale changes to the team (coaches/players) on the basis of their having paid for more wins or having a 'right' to a better performance. Those are the so-called fans I'm addressing -- the ones who feel entitled to say whatever they want.

I don't disagree with having high expectations for the team. I don't like the way the team is performing. I don't just say nice things about the team/coaches. But I also don't feel entitled to win or win a certain way.

Sorry if I haven't communicated the difference very well.

For me personally it isn't the execution, it's the effort that drives me nuts. Regardless of the outcome I think every fan base should be "entitled" to see a team making the effort.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only problem is when I see teams with far less (talent, coaching, facilities, resources, etc.) do what they do better than we do what we do. It's one thing to not have players, and have bad breaks, injuries, etc. But, you at least want to see consistency, and you want to see an identity. I don't think this season is lost by any means, I'm very interested to see how we come out after a bye week. But, we still have a lot of problems that you would not expect to see three years in. Anyway, I'm going to reserve much more judgment until Kentucky. From this point forward, we've got to show some commitment by the players and coaches to a style and attitude of play. The quarterback fiasco is far enough behind us to head in a firm direction.

So this poor season may be my fault.....I lost my lucky AU hat. I wore it all 2010 then lost it, we moved to Houston and I found it in 2013. Since then i decided to retire it when we lost to FSU in the NCG. Hadn't seen it since. Ever since the season started I had been looking for it and tried to see if 8 of my other hats would work.

Today I was doing some cleaning and it appears from nowhere. In a spot I had swore I already looked.

Laugh all you want, but if the team turns it around.......hey anyways we need all the luck we can get!

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Im sorry but this is a load of crap.........what fans feel entitled? This thread is not a result of close win against a lesser opponent and we have played well in every other game and are 5-0 ranked in the top 10. Quite the opposite!

Is it unreasonable to question why our team is playing so poorly? Is it unreasonable with the history and tradition of Auburn along with the recent success in recruiting to expect our team to play well and be in contention for championships (conference first and then occasionally national) on a regular basis? The expectations of the Auburn fans I know are not to necessarily win every game but we should be competitive and well represented. They do, however, expect to be a top echelon team in the SEC. What that means to me and a lot of people I know is an expectation that Auburn should win 9 or 10 or 11 ballgames a year.

Occasionally there will be the down years of only 7 or 8 wins and the up years of 12 or 13 wins. If in your eyes that makes us weak a$$ fans so be it. Your opinion is just that.....an opinion..... no more valid or invalid than mine. For the record I have been going to Auburn games since the 1960's, am an alumni of Auburn, lived in Auburn for 11 total years and one of my daughters was a student athlete at Auburn. I love everything about Auburn but I do have expectations.

With respect, I disagree that what I posted is "a load of crap." I think you need to read this whole thread again. I'm not criticizing just anyone who thinks we should be playing better. If you do happen to read the thread, you'll see that I feel that way, too.

But there are way too many posters who feel it is their 'right' to call for wholesale changes to the team (coaches/players) on the basis of their having paid for more wins or having a 'right' to a better performance. Those are the so-called fans I'm addressing -- the ones who feel entitled to say whatever they want.

I don't disagree with having high expectations for the team. I don't like the way the team is performing. I don't just say nice things about the team/coaches. But I also don't feel entitled to win or win a certain way.

Sorry if I haven't communicated the difference very well.

For me personally it isn't the execution, it's the effort that drives me nuts. Regardless of the outcome I think every fan base should be "entitled" to see a team making the effort.

I think we should expect maximum effort from the team, including players and coaches.

I don't think I'm entitled to it.

Feeling entitled means you don't have any responsibilities as a fan. It means you feel as if you have a 'right' to say whatever you want wherever and whenever you please. IMO, you don't 'buy' the privelege to bad mouth players or boo the team as much as you want. We have the privelege of watching Auburn play, and in return, we need to support the team. That doesn't mean we can't be critical of them. It does mean, though, that there are limits to what we ought to say.

When people start acting as if there are no limits, that they can call for coaches to be fired because the team didn't win by enough points, for instance, that suggests a feeling of entitlement to me. We see lots of fans with such an attitude show up during game threads or just after a loss or subpar performance. They say inflamatory things, they accuse supportive fans of being sunshine-pumping fools with their heads in the sand, then they slink off until they get another opportunity to express their bile. Those are the 'entitled' fans. They constitute our Updykes.

There is no entitlement problem. There is a frustration problem from dealing with the same crap again.

If it wasn't for Chizik then we wouldn't know who Gus was. Not sure why people are so shocked that Gus is a failure....he was Chiziks guy. So it makes sense.

Consistency is to be admired, I suppose. One thing we can count on: If things take even the slightest turn for the worst YaBoyMaxWeezy will crawl out from under his trash heap and dump all over Auburn. When things take a turn for the better, MaxieBoy slithers away again. It's how he rolls.

Hahahahahahhahaha you're cute bruh! Grow up and grow a set and get back to me! Sorry the truth hurts you! I state nothing but facts! Get used to it son!

If it wasn't for Chizik then we wouldn't know who Gus was. Not sure why people are so shocked that Gus is a failure....he was Chiziks guy. So it makes sense.

Consistency is to be admired, I suppose. One thing we can count on: If things take even the slightest turn for the worst YaBoyMaxWeezy will crawl out from under his trash heap and dump all over Auburn. When things take a turn for the better, MaxieBoy slithers away again. It's how he rolls.

SPOT ON. He's one of the biggest trolls we have here.

Was wondering how long you were going to let that go one. There is one thing to gripe about the team's performance but yaboy's rants were way out of bounds with nothing to support his trash talking.

Was wondering how long you were going to let that go one. There is one thing to gripe about the team's performance but yaboy's rants were way out of bounds with nothing to support his trash talking.

But we don't have any fans who feel entitled!

With as many big ego CEOs and big business money people that fund the AU program and have to deal with their bammer peers ribbing them about AU not being as good as bama, is it too far-fetched to believe that these guys aren't in Gus's ear constantly with the "here is what you need to start doing..." bs and threats to his job?

Gus has an eight figure buyout if AU fires him. I have a hard time believing a multi-millionaire coach would tolerate micro-management like that. He has a sour look on his face because he has fielded a crappy team.

Rant and out of bounds????? Explain!

Doesn't argue the troll part! Priceless!

Doesn't argue the troll part! Priceless!

:Sing:

Think i remember a comical book entitled "How to Argue with Idiots"......when you look inside, the text of the book was one word..."don't"

Think i remember a comical book entitled "How to Argue with Idiots"......when you look inside, the text of the book was one word..."don't"

LOL

So this poor season may be my fault.....I lost my lucky AU hat. I wore it all 2010 then lost it, we moved to Houston and I found it in 2013. Since then i decided to retire it when we lost to FSU in the NCG. Hadn't seen it since. Ever since the season started I had been looking for it and tried to see if 8 of my other hats would work.

Today I was doing some cleaning and it appears from nowhere. In a spot I had swore I already looked.

Laugh all you want, but if the team turns it around.......hey anyways we need all the luck we can get!

I'm not laughing... I'm Catholic. In 2013, I started going to adoration at church every Monday morning after dropping the kids off at school. I would spend an hour with the Lord in either prayer or just try to quiet my mind to try to listen to Him. Anyway, while there, I always threw in a little prayer and War Eagle for Auburn. I missed going two times that season for various reasons. Can you guess which two??

After that season, my church changed the adoration schedule so I've had a hard time finding a good time for me to go. Thanks to my husband watching the kids for me, I've been able to go again before I go to bible study on Monday nights. My first time back was this past Monday...

Coincidence? Maybe... Maybe not?

Even though it's an off week, I'm going again tomorrow night.

Ha, that's funny Ber798297! I was going to say they need to stop praying before the games, because our kids are not mean enough anymore. Of course, I am only kidding, but our kids need to play with more grit and fire. My husband says they need to be "biters".

As for you, get back to church!!!

I don't post much anymore, but I have to give my two cents.

I think Muschamp is looking for players who refuse to get beat on D, but my observation is that the front seven can't get off blocks in either run defense and pass rushing.

The D line is getting walled off and leaving gaps, hence the comment of "not anchoring the line". In our pass rush, we just can't shed blockers. That to me indicates poor off season conditioning (strength) and there is no cure for that during the season.

If you can't plant and hold your ground, have the upper body strength to keep blockers off your body, and shed blockers on a pass rush, you cannot stop anyone.

If a QB has time, our young DBs will get beat. Our pass rush is ineffective.

For the O, something has been going on with Duke since last year. I do not know what, but he has been in the doghouse and is a very different player. As is, I don't think he is even drafted. Possibly add a Juco RB to that list now. It looks like we have a leadership problem compounded by injuries.

I hope we can solve the issues and adapt the next man up mentality if it is indeed attitude problems. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is. I am not writing off the season, but I hope to see improvement each week and development of our talent for next year.

Nothing is wrong with Auburn....unfortunately when the QB the supposed leader of your team loses all confidence...it impacts the entire team. This is the guy leading workouts,motivating, etc. For AU JJ Was that leader and when he lost his marbles the team particularly the offense went with him. This offense thrives off leadership from the QB position; without it there is not continuity of flow....

There is something wrong. And I really don't know if it has anything to do with Gus or the staff. It is an ongoing issue no matter the coach. Auburn is a rollercoaster team and pretty much always has been.

One great year.

One okay year.

One crappy year.

Rinse and repeat.

Why no consistency? Auburn is one the top winning programs in the country, yet they don't act like it.

There is simply no reason why Auburn shouldn't win at least 9 games per year. We have good recruiting classes every year. We have great facilities. We have great support from donors. What is the problem with the apathetic play that we see?

Is it the culture like Muschamp has said? What or who is the problem? It is incomprehensible to me that we can't field a consistent team.

What the heck is it? I'm at a loss.

this is my belief on it

i get the feeling we need better "derecruitment" because the biggest difference i see at times is how we parade some of our freshmen when they havent really earned that yet (this includes transfers)

we got guys that work their butts off only to be overshadowed by the hype of others (see Barber)

I'm not sure what the fix is to that but I know what I see around campus and on the field

Is the situation Tuberville left AU in with the lack of bodies still hurting AU in that we are going to have to fight through years where the team is extremely young and then we will excel when those players are veterans? Seems like we are either extremely experienced or extremely young. We never seem to have a good mix.

Ok hold on! We had four, four forced turnovers last week! Gus is figuring things out with the QB situation. JJ has all the potential but turned out to have none of the mentality. We have thrown SW into a season he was prepared to be the back up. Our ground game had traction last week. I agree we should expect a lot out of our teams but give him a chance the season is not over yet.

Keep doubting how important leadership is for a team, guys play hard and follow great leaders. Coaches put JJ in position to take this team and lead it, many players need strong leaders to get to the next level of performance. When your annoyed leader folds it will impact others...do any of you see a leader on this team like Cam, Jason Campbell, Nick, or Sully?

Keep doubting how important leadership is for a team, guys play hard and follow great leaders. Coaches put JJ in position to take this team and lead it, many players need strong leaders to get to the next level of performance. When your annoyed leader folds it will impact others...do any of you see a leader on this team like Cam, Jason Campbell, Nick, or Sully?

Carl was the leader on D, IMO.

Archived