OL coach

doc4aday

If he can coach while battling cancer he should if he so chooses....as long as it does not cause him any harm or impede his treatments.

I seriously doubt it would cause any detriment to the team, I am sure he would have stepped down. Also, I would think it would make the OL push harder to fight for their coach.

I was one of the few who worried before the season about experience playing together not the talent level. I do believe they are getting better but it will take time. No experience together and playing new positions for some that means we will have issues. We have two weeks before next game. I expect to see a huge improvement in O-Line play by next game. Also in last game we did mix in may ass plays on 1st down to keep defense honest. They need to add passing element to O by next game.

I agree with the below thoughts, and I'll add that the interior of the OL is doing fine, bad snaps and procedural errors from the center aside. The tackles could stand to improve, but you have almost no experience behind them and Avery Young has been a jack of all trades from the beginning. And they're getting no help blocking from the HBs, TEs or WRs. This team is full of problems, but I'm surprised that everybody is beating up on the OL- and Coach Grimes, in particular- this much.

Ok, first I believe Stat addressed this a bit before the season started. He made light that not a single person on our current Oline had played a game snap with the guy playing next to him prior to this season. So there was zero continuity anywhere on the Oline because of Kozan going down and not playing next to Shon last season. That was the only potential tandem to have experience with one another but injuries what they were prevented it.

Secondly, in 2010 and 2013 when our teams made runs due to phenomenal Oline play they had an incredible number of starts. If I remember correctly only one person had less than 30 previous starts prior to that season and we returned all 5 players from the previous year. A similar situation arose in 2013 returning 4 of 5 starters from 2012 most with about 20 starts under there belt. That combined with the infusion of energy from Gus returning and we destroyed everyone. This team shows moments but they are fleeting because of the lack of experience. If everyone returns next year except Avery I think we are looking at a much improved team. Also, look for dramatic improvement running the ball late this season. Maybe not quite 2013 numbers the last 3 or 4 games but def. improvement.

I was one of the few who worried before the season about experience playing together not the talent level. I do believe they are getting better but it will take time. No experience together and playing new positions for some that means we will have issues. We have two weeks before next game. I expect to see a huge improvement in O-Line play by next game. Also in last game we did mix in may ass plays on 1st down to keep defense honest. They need to add passing element to O by next game.

Yes, without any regard to individual talent, the OL has to function as a complete unit more than any other position group. However you did mention something that could be worth taking a look at. If they are calling "may ass" plays no wonder there is an issue. This is October.

My sister lived 4 1/2 years with cancer. Up until the last 3 months of her life, she was always a strong person. I miss her a lot.

I wish coach Grimes the very best with his fight. He's in my prayers.

Talents there: Kozan, Coleman, Golson, Young, Smith. 21 stars between those 5 guys if I'm not mistaken. Makes ya wonder

With this group of linemen it is not so much the number of stars as the number of starts. Or lack thereof. Coleman, Kozan and Golson are just in their second years as starters. Plus Kozan and Golson were for all intents and purposes out of football last year. And you have a first year starter in Smith.

I have been, and will continue supporting Coach Grimes. I know that cancer can take a ton out of your body regardless of how tough you are on the outside. Coach Grimes is one of the best OL coaches in America. I do think if his health started interfering with his ability to coach the young men on our OL, Coach Grimes would be the first to step down from his position as the OL coach.

We all know that that some of the problem with our offense is with the OL. I am not sure what the problem is as well as what can be done to right the ship. Like others, I expect to see a good deal of improvement in our OL. Of a bigger problem is our weather. We received 21 plus inches of rain from 9/25/015 through 10/4/015. Fortunately no one had any problems in my neighborhood. However, 30 miles to my south, a lot of devastation occurred. Keep these folks in your thoughts and prayers.

I agree with the below thoughts, and I'll add that the interior of the OL is doing fine, bad snaps and procedural errors from the center aside. The tackles could stand to improve, but you have almost no experience behind them and Avery Young has been a jack of all trades from the beginning. And they're getting no help blocking from the HBs, TEs or WRs. This team is full of problems, but I'm surprised that everybody is beating up on the OL- and Coach Grimes, in particular- this much.

Ok, first I believe Stat addressed this a bit before the season started. He made light that not a single person on our current Oline had played a game snap with the guy playing next to him prior to this season. So there was zero continuity anywhere on the Oline because of Kozan going down and not playing next to Shon last season. That was the only potential tandem to have experience with one another but injuries what they were prevented it.

Secondly, in 2010 and 2013 when our teams made runs due to phenomenal Oline play they had an incredible number of starts. If I remember correctly only one person had less than 30 previous starts prior to that season and we returned all 5 players from the previous year. A similar situation arose in 2013 returning 4 of 5 starters from 2012 most with about 20 starts under there belt. That combined with the infusion of energy from Gus returning and we destroyed everyone. This team shows moments but they are fleeting because of the lack of experience. If everyone returns next year except Avery I think we are looking at a much improved team. Also, look for dramatic improvement running the ball late this season. Maybe not quite 2013 numbers the last 3 or 4 games but def. improvement.

I have to agree. I have thought that the O line has been the least of worries on offense. I feel that they have protected the QB well and made enough holes to allow for a RB to have 4 100+ yds games.

I am amazed at how the RB gets to the outside only to find defenders on them because the WR's don't block. Amazed at how receivers take plays off and are not benched. At least when JJ was in at WR he blocked!

I continue to be astonished at how our quick receiver screens are covered, while the oppositions receiver screens gain yards. At times it appears we are playing a man or two short on both sides of the ball. No outside blocking combined with an altered, poorly executed offensive philosophy is killing us.

Previously Gus was known as one to be highly attentive to detail. Where's that guy? We need him.

Zero consistency. One play they all do their jobs one play they don't. At this point I'm doubting EVERYTHING we've been told about Auburns talent level.

Archived