4th and 1 on the 8

TigerOne

Take the emotions out of the decision and look at the facts. The field goal would've made it a 3 score game. A TD makes it a 3 score game. We were up by 14. It was the correct call. They both would've accomplished the same outcome. SJSU would've been forced to throw. However, we miss the FG and none of the above happens. Say we went for it and got stuffed, or fumbled, or snapped the ball over the qb's head. How many on this board would've been yelling for the FG.

It was raining. It was sjsu. 119th run d in the country. The football gods were not going to let us make that fg.

Odds of the FG were many times higher than making the yard....though I would have liked Gus to show some "manhood" and go for it...... the coaches play the odds....especially with the chance to go up by 3 scores. The game's over, AU has the win...so why are people still crying over a decision they did not like.....this is pitiful IMO.

Who's crying drama queen? I don't think it was a horrible decision and it was the textbook thing to do. I would rather we had gone for it and if we got stuffed I would have been fine with it. We would have ended up in the same boat we were in tryimg to kick a fg in the rain.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the emotions out of the decision and look at the facts. The field goal would've made it a 3 score game. A TD makes it a 3 score game. We were up by 14. It was the correct call. They both would've accomplished the same outcome. SJSU would've been forced to throw. However, we miss the FG and none of the above happens. Say we went for it and got stuffed, or fumbled, or snapped the ball over the qb's head. How many on this board would've been yelling for the FG.

I know one that wouldn't. I was literally screaming at the TV. If we can't make a 1/2 yard in two tries against SJSU we don't deserve to win another game. Show some confidence in your team for once Gus. Make a smart gutsy (or Gus-ty) call. There are a handful of plays in each game that a team (yes even the defense) can rally and build on.

Tactically, it was the logical call. But football is an emotional game - a game of will and power, sweat and blood. Strong team bonds are forged through adversity, shared sacrifice and shared victories. I believe situations like this can help galvanize a team. Though I'm sure it wasn't meant as one, this decision was probably taken as a sign of a lack of confidence.

Gus needs to think of the bigger picture and use these types of situations to build his team up.

The call and decision as well as the execution was nothing more than the extension and continuation of what we have seen in the last 10 fbs games we have played.

I am afraid that what we see if only the tip of the iceberg. There are much larger problems that we can't see and honestly not sure how we fox it with what we have invested in this group of coaches. If Gus stays and can't fix it this could put us in a bad spot for many years to come.

As we stand now what is our last 6 year record with bama LSU and UGA.

Not where it needs to be for sure.

I know one that wouldn't. I was literally screaming at the TV. If we can't make a 1/2 yard in two tries against SJSU we don't deserve to win another game. Show some confidence in your team for once Gus. Make a smart gutsy (or Gus-ty) call. There are a handful of plays in each game that a team (yes even the defense) can rally and build on.

This, give the team a chance to bond together and make the yard with the coaches support. Its not 3 points or seven its a mental victory, in this case for San Jose.

Made even worse by the Spartans scoring.

Tactically, it was the logical call. But football is an emotional game - a game of will and power, sweat and blood. Strong team bonds are forged through adversity, shared sacrifice and shared victories. I believe situations like this can galvanize a team. Though I'm sure it wasn't meant as one, this decision was probably taken as a sign of a lack of confidence.

Gus needs to think of the bigger picture and use these types of situations to build his team up.

Agreed.

The call and decision as well as the execution was nothing more than the extension and continuation of what we have seen in the last 10 fbs games we have played.

I am afraid that what we see if only the tip of the iceberg. There are much larger problems that we can't see and honestly not sure how we fox it with what we have invested in this group of coaches. If Gus stays and can't fix it this could put us in a bad spot for many years to come.

Have been meditating on how best to fox it myself....

Tactically, it was the logical call. But football is an emotional game - a game of will and power, sweat and blood. Strong team bonds are forged through adversity, shared sacrifice and shared victories. I believe situations like this can galvanize a team. Though I'm sure it wasn't meant as one, this decision was probably taken as a sign of a lack of confidence.

Agreed.

Crap....this just made me think of that stupid what does the fox say song my kids thought was funny!

Agreed.

Crap....this just made me think of that stupid what does the fox say song my kids thought was funny!

LOL. Mine enjoyed it too much, as well.

Our making or missing the field goal did not impact SJSU scoring afterwards.

If you want to talk about team psyche, then what about our Kickers's psyche. We were moving the ball on SJSU. And as another posted stated, we did not pick up the same yardage on 3rd. So many of you get upset when Gus runs the same play and doesn't get different results - if we had run it again and not made it - you would have been pissed again.

Gus went with the text book call to go up by 3 scores and in the rain, the snap was mishandled and the FG missed. (So a snap for a handoff could have been mishandled as well and no 1st down). Maybe Gus was thinking about our very good kicker who missed a FG earlier in the game and thought he should give him the chance to gain his confidence back.

It didn't work in either case, but maybe the team realized they could have some mistakes and still win - and that could gain some confidence for the team.

This was a beautiful drive by the Tigers, good blocking, Roc running strong, defense on its heals, good rhythm and pace by the offense, homecoming crowd still in the stadium, a TD here would have sealed the game. So Gus shows his confidence in the team and reward them with go for it right? Plus great practice for the team in this situation. Oh wait nope we can't make one yard against this team send in the field goal and it's..a miss. TheSpartans answer with a 80 yard td drive

Gus you blew that decision..sorry. You owe the team and the fans something better than that.

The problem with this line of thinking is either way fail and and you as an arm chair QB/coach or whatever title you chose will have the luxury of saying it was wrong. Gus is paid to make decisions, regardless of if they work. Over the past three years he has gone from the greatest Offensive mind to...Yes he has made some calls that I don't agree with as well. However his decision making has been consistent for the past three years, just his play calling.

It's a textbook call, without more context. Our team 's collective psyche needed a vote of confidence.

Spot freaking on

What's wrong with a textbook call? There's a reason why it's called a textbook call. Usually the textbook is correct. None the less, me, you and everyone else on this board are living in LaLa land if we really think that call will change the trajectory of the season. Gus won't even commit to the starting QB. How will this call help our teams psyche when he wont even pick a freaking QB?

Good point.

You must be starved for something resembling a point.

It's a textbook call, without more context. Our team 's collective psyche needed a vote of confidence.

Spot freaking on

What's wrong with a textbook call? There's a reason why it's called a textbook call. Usually the textbook is correct. None the less, me, you and everyone else on this board are living in LaLa land if we really think that call will change the trajectory of the season. Gus won't even commit to the starting QB. How will this call help our teams psyche when he wont even pick a freaking QB?

Good point.

The point is we're not very good on either side of the ball. We can argue this certain call until we fall over dead. Won't change what happened. I hope we get a lot better and quickly. On a side note, at some point we all need to meet up and see each other's faces and smiles. It would take a lot of the hostility out of the board. War Eagle to all.

Spot freaking on

Good point.

I may resemble that post, indeed.

But I've been reading the boards all day after a lackluster win, so ....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spot freaking on

Good point.

The point is we're not very good on either side of the ball. We can argue this certain call until we fall over dead. Won't change what happened. I hope we get a lot better and quickly. On a side note, at some point we all need to meet up and see each other's faces and smiles. It would take a lot of the hostility out of the board. War Eagle to all.

I don't know. Might lead to some real-world violence. Are you suggesting the Sonic meet-up?!

Spot freaking on

Good point.

Actually, nothing discussed here will actually change anything, except maybe a few participants blood pressure. I'm not saying this call will make or break our season or not even that is was necessarily a bad decision-- I was agreeing it was a textbook call. But since someone brought it up, I do think it's an example of how you can sometimes benefit from breaking from the supposedly safe call. Gus seems scared and overly cautious now and I think it's impacting the team.

If we want to meet and share smiles, I hope we don't need to wait until basketball season. :)

Spot freaking on

Good point.

Actually, nothing discussed here will actually change anything, except maybe a few participants blood pressure. I'm not saying this call will make or break our season or not even that is was necessarily a bad decision-- I was agreeing it was a textbook call. But since someone brought it up, I do think it's an example of how you can sometimes benefit from breaking from the supposedly safe call. Gus seems scared and overly cautious now and I think it's impacting the team.

If we want to meet and share smiles, I hope we don't need to wait until basketball season. :)/>

Good point on blood pressure.

Spot freaking on

Good point.

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

Just be glad we didn't lose. This board would implode if we lost and had a by week. Just imagine the horror. I'm sure it would be a bloodbath and lots of people would probably get banned lol. So we can be thankful for that atleast!

I personally would've been saying if we can't get 1 yard against SJSU, then we really don't deserve to win

But we did just fail to get that yard on 3rd and 1 ....

Exactly

Spot freaking on

Good point.

If we want to meet and share smiles, I hope we don't need to wait until basketball season. :)/>

I see your point. Figuratively speaking, since I live in Oklahoma.

I have a different angle on this .. I post s in the game thread.

I'm more irritated with Ricardo Louis. On second down he went around left end and stepped out of bounds short of the first down without taking any contact. At that point, this team needed a senior leader to put his shoulder down and lay into a defender for extra yardage.

If I can picture the end of the play correctly Ricardo gets the first down and likely a few more yards. We are talking first and goal around the 5 or 6ish and this may be a completely different story.

We need our leaders making plays. That was a missed opportunity to do so.

I have a different angle on this .. I post s in the game thread.

I'm more irritated with Ricardo Louis. On second down he went around left end and stepped out of bounds short of the first down without taking any contact. At that point, this team needed a senior leader to put his shoulder down and lay into a defender for extra yardage.

If I can picture the end of the play correctly Ricardo gets the first down and likely a few more yards. We are talking first and goal around the 5 or 6ish and this may be a completely different story.

We need our leaders making plays. That was a missed opportunity to do so.

Ricardo has been hurt and played hurt yesterday. Just his playing was an example for others, IMO.

Spot freaking on

Good point.

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

Just be glad we didn't lose. This board would implode if we lost and had a by week. Just imagine the horror. I'm sure it would be a bloodbath and lots of people would probably get banned lol. So we can be thankful for that atleast!

You almost made me hope for a loss. Not really. But the idea of a mass banning does have its appeal.

It may have been the textbook call but this is an emotional sport filled with momentum changes and sometimes you have to take your nose out of said textbook and whip the stinking guy in front of you.

Now having said that, the man made a decision he thought was right so I'm not gonna sit here with hindsight and all and condemn it. Big picture wise, I can't see how it's a big deal. We have bigger fish to fry unfortunately.

This was a beautiful drive by the Tigers, good blocking, Roc running strong, defense on its heals, good rhythm and pace by the offense, homecoming crowd still in the stadium, a TD here would have sealed the game. So Gus shows his confidence in the team and reward them with go for it right? Plus great practice for the team in this situation. Oh wait nope we can't make one yard against this team send in the field goal and it's..a miss. TheSpartans answer with a 80 yard td drive

Gus you blew that decision..sorry. You owe the team and the fans something better than that.

I understand what was likely Gus' reasoning by that call, but I did disagree with it. My thought has always been: if you can't get one yard at crunch-time, then damn the field goals. When I think of Gus, I consider him to be a good coach when he's multiple scores ahead, or multiple scores behind. I contrast that with a coach like Tuberville, where he is very much in his element when the game is within a score or two. Then again, there's probably a reason that Gus is Auburn's head football coach, and I'm a network administrator.

They used to call Tuberville the "Riverboat Gambler". I wish some of that would rub off on Gus. For better or worse, I admire gutsy calls.

I agree. And going for it on 4th down is not as risky as it seems overall.

Archived