4th and 1 on the 8

TigerOne

When you have the personnel advantage we supposedly have over teams like SJSU there comes a time when you man up and take it to them. I understand the reasoning for going for the field goal but it was time for this offense to man up and start developing some killer instinct. When the HC has no confidence in them it is hard for them to have any confidence in themselves.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you have the personnel advantage we supposedly have over teams like SJSU there comes a time when you man up and take it to them. I understand the reasoning for going for the field goal but it was time for this offense to man up and start developing some killer instinct. When the HC has no confidence in them it is hard for them to have any confidence in themselves.

Yep. Does not help that the head coach is sitting on the sidelines eating his fingernails like a 10 year old either. Good God I can not believe it has come to this.

Unfortunately the coach of my beloved Auburn Tigers and the coach of my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers have the same problem in common - NO Ba@#$

with the game on the line! When you have a chance to put someone away and crush their spirit, you do it.

They used to call Tuberville the "Riverboat Gambler". I wish some of that would rub off on Gus. For better or worse, I admire gutsy calls.

Coming out of halftime against MSU, I said, "This is exactly when Tommy Tuberville would call for an onside kick." Then I gazed out the window as a single tear rolled down my cheek.

Unfortunately the coach of my beloved Auburn Tigers and the coach of my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers have the same problem in common - NO Ba@#$

with the game on the line! When you have a chance to put someone away and crush their spirit, you do it.

Steelers fan here too!

They used to call Tuberville the "Riverboat Gambler". I wish some of that would rub off on Gus. For better or worse, I admire gutsy calls.

Coming out of halftime against MSU, I said, "This is exactly when Tommy Tuberville would call for an onside kick." Then I gazed out the window as a single tear rolled down my cheek.

I actually had the same thought, well not specifically about TT, but I told my dad and granddad that it would be a good time to come out and do an on-side kick . . . of course, no one listened to me!

This was a beautiful drive by the Tigers, good blocking, Roc running strong, defense on its heals, good rhythm and pace by the offense, homecoming crowd still in the stadium, a TD here would have sealed the game. So Gus shows his confidence in the team and reward them with go for it right? Plus great practice for the team in this situation. Oh wait nope we can't make one yard against this team send in the field goal and it's..a miss. TheSpartans answer with a 80 yard td drive

Gus you blew that decision..sorry. You owe the team and the fans something better than that.

This was a bad call for one reason only and it has nothing to do with the 80 yard drive or the missed FG. Auburn has struggled in the red zone all season we have an opportunity to work on something we have struggled with and didn't do it. It was a lost opportunity.

Yep. Does not help that the head coach is sitting on the sidelines eating his fingernails like a 10 year old either. Good God I can not believe it has come to this.

WDE,

Hoping you can answer this for me. You posted on another thread about some dissension in the coaching staff between Lashlee/Grimes/Craig. Is this playing into the perceived lack of effort by Duke, since he is loyal to Coach Craig? Maybe even some of the other WRs?? Our WRs seem to be disinterested at times, dropping routine passes, running horrible routes. I saw several plays against Miss St where Duke was the blocking WR, but he was running all around the field dodging contact, doing everything he could to NOT BLOCK the Miss St defender. Can you elaborate on this? I apologize if you already addressed all of this in another thread, but I'm at work and didn't do much searching. War Eagle!

Some people have a deep and abiding respect for gutsy coaching ... and some people don't. Coaches make bad calls. Coaches can stop it.

I wanted Auburn to go for it on 4th down. To have some moxie. And I would not have been disappointed if the first down had not been made. At least show some confidence in them to make it Gus.

Instead he looked at the other team and blinked.

IMO by declining the challenge of the 4th down conversion Gus played not to lose instead of playing to win. It is as if there is now a little devil on Malzahn's shoulder whispering in his ear about the bad things that may occur over a certain play rather the good that may result.

I had the same impression with Coach Dye after the '83 season. And saw it in Tuberville. Tubs lost some of that 'riverboat gambler' attitude after he became successful at Auburn. Success seems lead some coaches to lose that 'damn the torpedoes' mentality.

Oh no the coach of the Steelers has no brain, but doesn't ever have to worry about job security. A little different with Gus.

I agreed with the call. You're up 14, your kicker is very good and that's a kick he should make every time. You kick and go up by 3 scores that late in the game EVERY time, whether you're playing SJSU or Alabama. Spare me the macho "we don't deserve to win if we can't get 1 yard" crap. Shoulda got it on 3rd down if we wanted to keep the drive going

I agreed with the call. You're up 14, your kicker is very good and that's a kick he should make every time. You kick and go up by 3 scores that late in the game EVERY time, whether you're playing SJSU or Alabama. Spare me the macho "we don't deserve to win if we can't get 1 yard" crap. Shoulda got it on 3rd down if we wanted to keep the drive going

I'm half sympathetic to this point of view. But I fail to see how that's less macho than the alternative.

Also, why not say, 'shoulda got it on 2nd or 1st down'? No rule says we can't punt/kick before 4th down, after all. Why not kick it as soon as we're in FG range?

I thought the decision to kick sucked, no excuses. However, the worse call to me was trying the 55yd field goal earlier in the game. Got a break and tried it again. Damp air, wet field come on.

Biggest wuss call by Gus while on an AU sideline, no doubt about it. It's not even close.

All this chatter about a FG brings back memories of Dye and the 'Cuse . . . along with some ugly ties.

I respect the other side of this argument but for as long as i have watched football you take the fg to make it a three score game in the 4th quarter. No way Gus expected to miss the fg but you see what happened after that. San jose came right down the field and scored to pull within 7. Probably would have had the same result if you go for it on 4th and miss. Now instead of a still fairly comfortable 10 point lead late in the game it's only 7 and if san jose had recovered the onside would have had a chance to tie. I just think you always take the three score lead late.

I'm half sympathetic to this point of view. But I fail to see how that's less macho than the alternative.

Also, why not say, 'shoulda got it on 2nd or 1st down'? No rule says we can't punt/kick before 4th down, after all. Why not kick it as soon as we're in FG range?

Really? Because 4th down is the all or nothing down. On 1st 2nd or 3rd down you can keep pushing toward the end zone if you fail to convert on that particular down. Not the case on 4th down.

All this chatter about a FG brings back memories of Dye and the 'Cuse . . . along with some ugly ties.

And a bunch of highly irate syracuse fans, along with a few of ours.

I agreed with the call. You're up 14, your kicker is very good and that's a kick he should make every time. You kick and go up by 3 scores that late in the game EVERY time, whether you're playing SJSU or Alabama......

Spot on. :thumbsup:

I agreed with the call. You're up 14, your kicker is very good and that's a kick he should make every time. You kick and go up by 3 scores that late in the game EVERY time, whether you're playing SJSU or Alabama......

Spot on. :thumbsup:/>

If the season hadn't been so bad so far nobody would have questioned the call and this thread wouldn't exist. The outrage is a product of the poor season so far not the actual call. I was mad he didn't go for it at the time...

Spot on. :thumbsup:/>

Still wrong. You left out a lot of info. Conveniently.

Really? Because 4th down is the all or nothing down. On 1st 2nd or 3rd down you can keep pushing toward the end zone if you fail to convert on that particular down. Not the case on 4th down.

OK, my second sentence was stupid.

:-[

But how is your last sentence in the previous post (the one I highlighted) less macho than saying we should go for it on 4th down?

Archived