Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

Just operating on hunch like everyone else but I think we see JJ get another shot at Kentucky. He has obviously showed them something in the previous seasons and in practice to make them think he is our best option. If they do that though, it won't be because he is the annointed one though. I think coaches think more about winning and keeping their jobs than they do about stuff like that. And we damn sure need this win at Kentucky..

At this point, whoever starts against UK, I just truly hope that the coaches go all out!!! Let's face it, our season really hangs on this Kentucky game. Win that one convincingly, without Duke, and you build confidence for the remainder of the season. It's time throw cuation to the wind, and start the QB that gives us the best chance to win. SW can be that guy, but Gus and Rhett have to believe in him and let him play HIS game. JJ could be that guy, too, and also deserves coaches that are confident in him and let him do his thing!! If we go into Lexington and play cautious, conservative pansy-ass football like the last two weeks, we will be in trouble.

Let's go, Gus!!! It's a new day on the Plains, so let's hammer down and start kicking ass!!!! War Eagle!!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not move Jeremy to either WR or TE. If he's a true team player, JJ would do whatever he could to help his team win every week.

Why not move Jeremy to either WR or TE. If he's a true team player, JJ would do whatever he could to help his team win every week.

With JJ's size and speed, let him play DE. Who knows?? A star could be born. We could move the 6-8 250 lb. Prince into the QB position. This could be a Cam on steroids type of situation.

Well, I think SW starts against KY. Only if he falters, does JJ come in to try and do something.

Now, if we lose KY, then I would think JJ has a chance again against Arkansas (on the road as well, and not in the highlight of a Thursday night game).

But Gus has stated that the best QB will get the start, so if JJ was the best at the start of the season (based on practice), he has two weeks to prove again he is the best in practice to win the start. But if and when he plays again, I imagine a short leash of mistakes will get him benched.

Sean White starts.

10 passes against SJS had a lot to do with trusting the running game, short fields, and dropped passes. I know its the popular thing to trash Gus but I saw no reason to throw more than we did.

I sometimes think I watch different games than the experts on this board.

The playbook was expanded slightly for Sean White this past week. I expect more long passes against Kentucky unless the running game gets its steam early. SW has not shown enough to confidently say he has "earned" the job but I could tell these past weeks that most of the players are getting behind the Freshman and he has done nothing to lose the job. Despite what the experts say I saw SW make progression reads in both games. He locked on to both JS and Duke last week but it was the absolute right read. Duke one on one with a smaller receiver and no help and even Brady throws the jump ball 10 out of 10 times. The pass to JS was a little bad throw and a first year receiver dropping a hard pass to catch.

Unless SW gets an injury he will start and even be given room for mistakes. JJ is DEFINATELY the next man up and will be given a another chance if SW tanks so please stop wasting peoples time talking about Jason Smith. JS will not play QB this year.

Now that both QBs have experience it will be easier to make a change if the starter is stinking it up. Early on Gus just stayed with JJ because he was afraid a change would mess up chemistry and make the situation even worse. Personally I hope hope JJ starts because I'm just tired of all the trashing of SW who has done nothing to deserve it. And I believe JJ has had time to get his confidence back I know I'm on an island with this but I wouldn't trade our freshman QB for any other SEC QB except Grier and maybe Kyle Allen. Sean has a strong arm, extremely accurate, elusive, nifty ball handler, and very smart. He does has a lot to work on and a long way to go. You say BHarris. He completed 4 of 16 for about 40 yds and an interception against a team arguably as bad as SJSU. Harris is not DT right now very one dimensional. Maybe Prescot is still the best but he's a senior and his best days may be behind him.

Now that both QBs have experience it will be easier to make a change if the starter is stinking it up. Early on Gus just stayed with JJ because he was afraid a change would mess up chemistry and make the situation even worse. Personally I hope hope JJ starts because I'm just tired of all the trashing of SW who has done nothing to deserve it. And I believe JJ has had time to get his confidence back I know I'm on an island with this but I wouldn't trade our freshman QB for any other SEC QB except Grier and maybe Kyle Allen. Sean has a strong arm, extremely accurate, elusive, nifty ball handler, and very smart. He does has a lot to work on and a long way to go. You say BHarris. He completed 4 of 16 for about 40 yds and an interception against a team arguably as bad as SJSU. Harris is not DT right now very one dimensional. Maybe Prescot is still the best but he's a senior and his best days may be behind him.

Strong arm? I've heard and seen the opposite. Scouts all said that arm strength was an "area for improvement." There were also several deeper passes in both games that seemed to float in the air a long time. Particularly the bomb to Louis in the last game. White should have 4-5 int's right now from floated passes alone. The defenses that he played against missed easy opportunities.

If we do make a qb switch, I'd guess that arm strength is the reason why. I am not sure that white has the arm to get the ball deep enough for the "big plays" that Malzahn is looking for.

Strong arm? I've heard and seen the opposite. Scouts all said that arm strength was an "area for improvement." There were also several deeper passes in both games that seemed to float in the air a long time. Particularly the bomb to Louis in the last game. White should have 4-5 int's right now from floated passes alone. The defenses that he played against missed easy opportunities.

If we do make a qb switch, I'd guess that arm strength is the reason why. I am not sure that white has the arm to get the ball deep enough for the "big plays" that Malzahn is looking for.

There is nothing thus far in his college career that even hints to having a strong arm but give it time.

I am just going off what I seen from White from his high school highlights. (keep in mind a smaller ball)

#1 25 yards and in and he can throw the football on a rope (one highlight of him throwing a beautiful fireball from the 30 to the back of the end zone while rolling to his left)

#2 Fairly descent arm when on the run and even when off balanced

#3 He can drop a ball into a soup bowl up to 40 yards

#4 He can throw 55-60 yards and has done it in high school (again smaller ball)

One more thing that has nothing to do with his arm is he is not scared to run and get hit which we have already seen at AU.

One last comment about the "floaters" you saw to Duke and Louis. Maybe they were indeed "floaters" but I can tell that White was coached in high school to give his receivers a chance. I can't speak as someone that knows but I believe we preach this at AU as well. Nick and JJ both put air and time under the deep ball even at risk of throwing a little short with the belief that Louis and others will go get the ball.

Can White throw the ball as far as Nick could? NO! but not many can...

He was definitely coached

There is nothing thus far in his college career that even hints to having a strong arm but give it time.

I am just going off what I seen from White from his high school highlights. (keep in mind a smaller ball)

#1 25 yards and in and he can throw the football on a rope (one highlight of him throwing a beautiful fireball from the 30 to the back of the end zone while rolling to his left)

#2 Fairly descent arm when on the run and even when off balanced

#3 He can drop a ball into a soup bowl up to 40 yards

#4 He can throw 55-60 yards and has done it in high school (again smaller ball)

One more thing that has nothing to do with his arm is he is not scared to run and get hit which we have already seen at AU.

One last comment about the "floaters" you saw to Duke and Louis. Maybe they were indeed "floaters" but I can tell that White was coached in high school to give his receivers a chance. I can't speak as someone that knows but I believe we preach this at AU as well. Nick and JJ both put air and time under the deep ball even at risk of throwing a little short with the belief that Louis and others will go get the ball.

Can White throw the ball as far as Nick could? NO! but not many can...

He was definitely coached

The one to Louis would have been a td if white had put the ball in front of Louis. Instead, he threw it short and let it sit in the air for a while. He didn't give Louis a chance. He gave the defensive back a chance.

As for Marshall, he had a good arm but was bad at controlling it. Most of his throws that looked short were short because he just underthrew the ball.

I don't think it would be good for Gus, Sean, or Jeremy for a switch right now

I'm with you, Cole. I have not seen much from Sean White, but I feel like this team is on the verge of falling apart. Another qb shift could split the team or may make Gus lose the team.

That said, Gus has been really pushing big plays. If that's, what he's looking for, I'm not sure White will ever be a permanent starter.

I feel like a crazy person when I read this board's opinions on this matter. Are you guys okay? Literally no reason to bring in JJ.

I would rather see Jason Smith, Jonathan Wallace, or even Ricardo Louis in a Randall Cobb capacity.

In fact I'd rather just have Kerryon roc and Peyton behind the center and run the ball every single play.

SW is fine. Bubble screens with no blockers, hb draws on third and long, and an under utilization of h-backs and TEs are some of the problems. It has always baffled me how we had talents like Lutzenkirchen, Uzomah, and a handful of other TEs gus refuses to throw to.

I'll personally drive up to Auburn and demand Gus pay me my season ticket costs back if he starts JJ against Kentucky.

As ya'll know, I like waxing eloquent (eh, hem) and fondly (ad naseum) about Malzahn's eccentric, nuanced, historically gaudy, often brilliant and sometimes annoying offensive mind. Well boys & girls, if ever there was a moment when he needs to cook or get out of the kitchen, it's now. Something radically good needs to happen against KY or the morale and lack of leadership won't win with any gameplan and it will irreversibly bleed into player trust, recruiting and media piling on (AL.com & ESPN are already warming up).

Okay, haha you've had your fun making us wait, time to pull the trigger Gus.

I have a feeling that with Duke gone the WR meeting room gets together and decides it's time to step up or shut up. JJ will come in and be back to his old self. If we can continue to run hard with Peyton and have the play action pass going then we just might win a few more games this year.

That would be so stupid. Fan base is already acting ap particular way about jj. If he could some how become the player we thought he was going to be he still couldn't carry this team. You wasted last game with him having a chance to knock any rust off and get into a rhythm, and gain any confidence. This would be the biggest set up job I've ever seen for a qb to fail. Only way jj should start is if sw shows he's not playing capable of the job. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED AT ALL. You'll lose a team like this

This would be stupid for SW. You pull the rug for under him. You never set him up for success really. You're pulling him without cause, how's that supposed to work with the rest of the team? You'll be ruining his confidence. He'll never believe in the coaching staff again. It would seem like Gus is blaming everybody but himself.

You're screwing the o line, ESPECIALLY center. You're screwing the wr's. You look indecisive as if you don't know what you're doing.

That would be so stupid. Fan base is already acting ap particular way about jj. If he could some how become the player we thought he was going to be he still couldn't carry this team. You wasted last game with him having a chance to knock any rust off and get into a rhythm, and gain any confidence. This would be the biggest set up job I've ever seen for a qb to fail. Only way jj should start is if sw shows he's not playing capable of the job. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED AT ALL. You'll lose a team like this

This would be stupid for SW. You pull the rug for under him. You never set him up for success really. You're pulling him without cause, how's that supposed to work with the rest of the team? You'll be ruining his confidence. He'll never believe in the coaching staff again. It would seem like Gus is blaming everybody but himself.

You're screwing the o line, ESPECIALLY center. You're screwing the wr's. You look indecisive as if you don't know what you're doing.

This is basically what I'm afraid of.

I mean, if we have players all over the team now thinking that some are getting playing time just because they're favorites, despite performance and effort, it will completely undermine any faith the players have that if they work hard and perform well, they'll see the field.

I've already said that I think SW should start and only be pulled if he performs poorly or the game is out of hand (either in UK's favor or ours).

Hearing the JJ to start at UK is real. :dunno:

Did we not just learn a very important lesson about what happens when coaches play favorites? Well, maybe only some of us did... Damn.

Now where did I put that dumpster fire .jpg?

I agree with that. Well said.

It's official. The world is ending. Cole and I agree. Lol

I agree with that. Well said.

:grouphug:

Archived