Sad, but True.

ShocksMyBrain

Such as this is why when I'm asked prior to each season how I think the Tigers will do I respond, without fail, "Cautiously Optimistic." The ups and downs of being an Auburn fan has taught me it can go either way at any time. Love the team, support the team but always cautious on each season. No s***-talking from me before a season, ever. I have to eat less crow that way.

Smart woman.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, average, dumpster fire, great, average, dumpster fire, repeat.

Pretty much this. Thankfully it's usually more Great average average, but we've been hitting dumpsters lately. I check a lot of all time ranking sites, and for a program that is around number 15 all time, we have a lot of down years.

JMO but it's all about gullible fans believing the hype pumped out by the coaches and athletic departments of their schools and the complicit sports media. Kinda like those great product bulletins and videos coming our of Detroit about their latest greatest new car. I mean, who would ever buy one without a test drive ? If you do, don't blame others when it turns out to be less than advertised.

Pre-season polls, Pre-season All Star teams, Pre-season Heisman campaigns ? We laughed when someone mentioned Jake Coker for the Heisman last season and then this year jumped eagerly on the JJ train based on half a football game.

Buyer's remorse .....can find it all over Auburn, Oregon, Texas....and on it goes. We just have to keep things in perspective which is sometimes hard to do.

Meanwhile the season is less than half over and some have written off the rest of it. In the old days at this point we were still eagerly looking forward to the chance to get a bowl invitations. Those days are probably gone forever now that we've been to the promised land. Too bad....seems that trip to Arizona in 2010 took a lot of joy out of people's lives. JMO

:thumbsup:

I understand your points, but disagree in part. Our "Heisman front runner and 3rd best RB in the SEC" had either very little or no D1 experience. I'd say that was all wishful thinking not entiry based of facts.

Second, our preseason expectations were out of line and solely based on coaching potential. We have a new Oline, several new receivers, a new qb and all new rbs....along with a new DC that had a HUGE mess to clean up. Add in big time injuries and you see where it leads. Name 1 school that has ever had this much uncertainty going into a season and performed like a top 10 team. I can think of zero.

Are you kidding me? Florida is 5-0 with a Redshirt Freshman QB and a brand new coaching staff altogether! Three of their starting offensive linemen are Sophomores! They start a True Freshman WR and another that is a Sophomore!

Don't you dare cry inexperience and youth. Our offensive line is experienced. What youth at receiver? Duke, Louis, and Ray (our three starters on the depth chart) are all Seniors who have been in this system for years! Jeremy Johnson who is in his THIRD year here is a hell of a lot more "experienced" than UF's Will Grier, and dozens of other inexperienced QB's who are thrown into the fire. We went into this season with an offensive core that SHOULD have been primed to fire on all cylinders...instead we look like an offense that is relegated to run left, run right, run up the middle until we have to punt. The "preseason hype" didn't materialize out of thin air; it was created because this was a team that had the pieces in place to roll out a dynamic offense with a defense that was supposed to be better. Instead we fell flat on our face. The defensive failure isn't surprising, but to suggest that we shouldn't have expected great things out of this offense is asinine. Malzahn, Lashlee, and company failed miserably.

I understand your points, but disagree in part. Our "Heisman front runner and 3rd best RB in the SEC" had either very little or no D1 experience. I'd say that was all wishful thinking not entiry based of facts.

Second, our preseason expectations were out of line and solely based on coaching potential. We have a new Oline, several new receivers, a new qb and all new rbs....along with a new DC that had a HUGE mess to clean up. Add in big time injuries and you see where it leads. Name 1 school that has ever had this much uncertainty going into a season and performed like a top 10 team. I can think of zero.

Are you kidding me? Florida is 5-0 with a Redshirt Freshman QB and a brand new coaching staff altogether! Three of their starting offensive linemen are Sophomores! They start a True Freshman WR and another that is a Sophomore!

Don't you dare cry inexperience and youth. Our offensive line is experienced. What youth at receiver? Duke, Louis, and Ray (our three starters on the depth chart) are all Seniors who have been in this system for years! Jeremy Johnson who is in his THIRD year here is a hell of a lot more "experienced" than UF's Will Grier, and dozens of other inexperienced QB's who are thrown into the fire. We went into this season with an offensive core that SHOULD have been primed to fire on all cylinders...instead we look like an offense that is relegated to run left, run right, run up the middle until we have to punt. The "preseason hype" didn't materialize out of thin air; it was created because this was a team that had the pieces in place to roll out a dynamic offense with a defense that was supposed to be better. Instead we fell flat on our face. The defensive failure isn't surprising, but to suggest that we shouldn't have expected great things out of this offense is asinine. Malzahn, Lashlee, and company failed miserably.

Meta, all good points brother, all good points. :(

Auburn 2013 says hello. We will see how good Florida really is over the next few weeks. It's been impressive so far.

Completely agree and I don't see it getting better in the future at this time

Lol. Losing 2 games and having to get rid of a guy with a bad attitude is now "imploding".... I bet we lose 4 or 5 this year and build for next year. That is not imploding...that is called being young, having injuries, and new coaching schemes. Happens to good teams all the time. We need not give a$$clowns like van pelt the time of day.

I agree....I mean several teams are sitting at 3-2 now, yet Auburn is the dumpster fire. Get real, I agree with everything foundation said....

The dumpster fire in CFB is in Austin Texas at the moment.

+1 +1 +1!!!!

Re everything else... I think it's fortunate we suck this year. We can keep cwm longer. I can wait until 2018 if need be to be dominant. The right staff are in place. I'm inclined to give them time. SVP is a sports journalist. He's right. But he will not get under my skin.

Lol. Losing 2 games and having to get rid of a guy with a bad attitude is now "imploding".... I bet we lose 4 or 5 this year and build for next year. That is not imploding...that is called being young, having injuries, and new coaching schemes. Happens to good teams all the time. We need not give a$$clowns like van pelt the time of day.

I agree....I mean several teams are sitting at 3-2 now, yet Auburn is the dumpster fire. Get real, I agree with everything foundation said....

+1 +1 +1!!!!

If these Butch Jones allegations turn out to be true, Tennessee might be another disaster.

+1 +1 +1!!!!

If these Butch Jones allegations turn out to be true, Tennessee might be another disaster.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/great-rumor-around-knoxville-butch-jones-punched-lineman-mack-crowder-in-the-face-after-the-arkansas-loss/

I just really need closure about Kiffin shtupping Saban's daughter.

+1 +1 +1!!!!

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/great-rumor-around-knoxville-butch-jones-punched-lineman-mack-crowder-in-the-face-after-the-arkansas-loss/

I just really need closure about Kiffin shtupping Saban's daughter.

You don't touch players. I thought we learned that from Woody Hayes and Bob Knight.

SVP actually likes AU. A long time ago he wrote a great article on his love for AU and considered Auburn to be his second college sports love behind Maryland.

A lot of good points in this post.

SVP actually likes AU. A long time ago he wrote a great article on his love for AU and considered Auburn to be his second college sports love behind Maryland.

That may be true, but so was his earlier statement about Auburn.

Golf, I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone in your recent posts. Do you have any faith in the current coaching staff or do you sense a housecleaning of epic proportion is coming? Thanks for your insight.

Golf, I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone in your recent posts. Do you have any faith in the current coaching staff or do you sense a housecleaning of epic proportion is coming? Thanks for your insight.

I noticed that too, interested to see his response.

Jeremy has he skill ...just lacks the stones to be the man in front of 80,000 fans. The passing game is suffering because of the poor QB play which has limited the play book and offensive production. You think you have your QB and boom first game he craps his pants and loses all his bearings. It's mental for JJ, he has to work this out in his head....... And btw Florida season ain't over yet...they still got LSU, Mizzou, UGA, FSU, and Ball Coach to play.....I ain't quite ready to annoit them just yet...they looked really good against Ole Miss, even though Ole Miss pretty much gave the game away in 1st qtr...Lets cautiously pump the brakes on the UF hype wagon....

Couldnt agree more with meta. Been trying to say that we are not young and inexperience on offense. Something is wrong and i hope they figure it out.

You are when you have center starting for the first time, new RB, QB, and HB....and many others on defense. The lack of QB Play has made the offense one dimensional, and teams are loading up and stopping the run...the passing game has to get better to make the offense click like Gus wants..

We listen to the Spiritual station on XM. You do.not have any complaining and only good uplifting music. I do not think we are as bad as everyone tends to think we are. I hate the term "We should have won." If you should have won, you would have won. We are about where we should be in the big scheme of things.

Try to find something good about the team. You know, there are some good things going on with our team. Maybe we can work out some things prior to the UK game that will help our chances of winning games down the stretch. I think this team will come out with a chip on their shoulder and win some games that most do not think we can. We have problems no doubt, but I think a lot of these can be corrected in the next 2 weeks. Let's see what happens.

I do not think we are as bad as everyone tends to think we are. I hate the term "We should have won." If you should have won, you would have won. We are about where we should be in the big scheme of things.

We are 109th in Total Offense, 93rd in Scoring Offense, 92nd in Total Defense, 75th in Scoring Defense, 91st in Time of Possession, 111th in 3rd Down Defense, and 106th in Red Zone Offense.

The takeaways from those numbers? We suck on Offense, we suck on Defense, we cant get off the field on 3rd Down, and we cant score in the Red Zone. We stink.

I do not think we are as bad as everyone tends to think we are. I hate the term "We should have won." If you should have won, you would have won. We are about where we should be in the big scheme of things.

We are 109th in Total Offense, 93rd in Scoring Offense, 92nd in Total Defense, 75th in Scoring Defense, 91st in Time of Possession, 111th in 3rd Down Defense, and 106th in Red Zone Offense.

The takeaways from those numbers? We suck on Offense, we suck on Defense, we cant get off the field on 3rd Down, and we cant score in the Red Zone. We stink.

Room for improvement then.

#1 at scoreboard size. We can jumbotron, and we do.

Those numbers paint a harsh and unpleasant truth.

And btw Florida season ain't over yet...they still got LSU, Mizzou, UGA, FSU, and Ball Coach to play.....I ain't quite ready to annoit them just yet...they looked really good against Ole Miss, even though Ole Miss pretty much gave the game away in 1st qtr...Lets cautiously pump the brakes on the UF hype wagon....

The post wasn't about Florida or whether or not they are "for real" or not, it was to show that using inexperience (which doesn't even apply to us!) as some sort of lame excuse for why we suck is pure trash. Their starting QB just threw 4 touchdowns and completed 24 of 29 passes against one of the best Defenses in the country. He had as much experience going into this season as Sean White did (ZERO), and he's doing it playing for an entirely new staff altogether. How can Florida trust Grier to go out there and play the freaking game as if he's a four year starter, yet we can't trust White to even the most basic of responsibilities? I'm not suggesting that Sean White is anywhere near Grier in talent, but what you are seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy: we are scared shitless, and the play of our players reflects that.

Archived