Miles Jack Leaving UCLA

autigeremt

I guess college football has truly become nothing more than the NFL farm system. Rivals is reporting that Myles Jack has left the UCLA program and will enter the draft after the season.

3 minutes ago

BREAKING: Myles Jack has withdrawn from #UCLA & will enter the NFL Draft More to come from http://BruinSportsReport.com

CQpWc7KUkAAM66h.jpg

I believe he is out for the year with a knee injury. Though still strange that he would leave when he could get rehab from UCLA.

Yeah...but he would have to do all that school stuff...going to boring classes, writing term papers on stuff he's not interested in, abiding by curfews, etc, etc.

If mentally he is gone...he might as well be gone physically too.

I used to get upset over this kind of stuff, but lately I've become more realistic about the myth of student-athlete .....and I accept that some guys just aren't cut out for college. If that's the case and they have a plan B...they should take it...whether they are athletes or just the average student who is ready to move on with his life.

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/nfl/story/_/id/13821985/myles-jack-ucla-bruins-return-school-enter-nfl-draft

Maybe this will cause Lawson to take pause. Mora definitely does not agree. If there’s not enough film on Jack then Carl…

He's out for the season. What's the big deal?

To hell with the team.....it's all about ME! That's what's wrong to start with.

Agree. All about me.

Be hard to reverse this trend.

Yep the recruiting process just reinforces that view. Probably takes a pretty special 4* or 5* kid to keep the "team" perspective after about every major school in the country has spent a year or more trying to lure him to their campus. .

Agree. All about me.

Be hard to reverse this trend.

Yep the recruiting process just reinforces that view. Probably takes a pretty special 4* or 5* kid to keep the "team" perspective after about every major school in the country has spent a year or more trying to lure him to their campus. .

Yea that is what it is about, guess everyone on this thread forgot how he played/started on both sides of the ball his freshman year and helped the team out because of injury. I think there is plenty of film on Jack he won't have issue unless his recover goes sideways. Odd decision Odd time

he is informing the coach to plan/recruit his absence. That is a good thing. Kids leaving early is not selfish, it's business.

What could he do for the team if he's out hurt?

http://espn.go.com/l...enter-nfl-draft

Maybe this will cause Lawson to take pause. Mora definitely does not agree. If there’s not enough film on Jack then Carl…

Agreed. That would be a massive mistake by Lawson, but one we may see anyway.

I understand Lawson and his family are probably extremely concerned about his health and how it affects his future earnings and if he had another serious injury while at Auburn how that could wreck his NFL dreams. But this last quote by Mora Jr should also be considered:

"If he played all year, I was thinking that we would [not have him next year], but when you only play in three games and that's all the tape they have of you your junior year. ... I've been in 25 draft rooms, and I've never seen a guy taken off of that ever," Mora said. "I worry about that for him. Like I said, I have a very personal relationship with Myles and his family, and his mom and his little brother Jaylen. Very close. He'll get himself in great shape and get ready and get rehabbed, perform well at the combine and perform well at his individual workouts. It's just a matter of if the scouts have enough game film to go off of, and they may, they may not. That's their decision, not mine. I just know that I've never see it, so it's kind of a new world for me."

Maybe I'm selfish (I am) but if he were to get hurt at AU again that would be terrible. But I hope he can prove that he can stay healthy over the course of an entire season and off-season. It just doesn't seem like getting spot duty as a freshman and one half as a junior is enough film to justify drafting someone to me.

I remember visiting Auburn on a high school field trip and heath Evans dropped out the last semester of school....

I remember visiting Auburn on a high school field trip and heath Evans dropped out the last semester of school....

i heard he was an a**hole on campus. Like a roid raging a**hole. One persons opinion of course.

I didn't talk to him, we were in liberal arts meeting counselors and he came in to do paper work and withdraw. Jack was on track to being a first round pick, why would people be upset that he's dropping out to focus on rehabbing and his future doesn't make sense to me

the kid wasnt going to play again this year. the coach admits he wasnt coming back next year (most likely) if he stayed healthy all year. the coach simply thinks it is a bad idea because of "lack of tape". the kid is taking a calculated risk. obvious business decision and he will have to live with the consequence - good or bad.

My only hair splitting hindsight remark is why make it public? It favors the coach to do so, for recruiting. Maybe jack could care less what everyone thinks.

I have always been of the opinion that college should be used for finding a career. For a very limited number of people, those careers are in high paying athletics (for a short period of time). High risk/possibly high reward. If other schools are like Auburn is, these athletes are most likely welcomed back to complete their degrees with open arms should they meet academic requirements. I see no intrinsic down side. An athlete can still complete their education - they just have to want to ... and that decision is on them also.

There is a risk to coming back. Reinjury is possible. He could have a terrible season. Lack of tape isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Sometime the darkness is your friend". Jimmy Buffet.

There is a risk to coming back. Reinjury is possible. He could have a terrible season. Lack of tape isn't necessarily a bad thing.

True but a guy with a major injury is not likely to get any kind of guaranteed contract and if he does not pass his physical or gets hurt anywhere along the way as a rookie,he is pretty much out in the cold too.

Not saying he is doing the wrong thing but with the big health question mark hanging over head I don't see him benefiting much by leaving unless he just doesn't have any interest in school. Seems to me that since he got hurt while on scholarship UCLA would be responsible for his treatments...and maybe they will still pay for his re-hab anyway?

If he goes within the first three rounds he's guaranteed a good bit of money and time to develop. Later rounds not so much. I don't know but people say duke seemed disinterested this year, he would be much better off had he entered the draft last year.

And taking off from school to focus on rehab is the best prep for him to pass his physical. This guy was a monster of an athlete, played hb, safety, linebacker all on the college level. He should DEFINITELY aim for the NFL

True but a guy with a major injury is not likely to get any kind of guaranteed contract and if he does not pass his physical or gets hurt anywhere along the way as a rookie,he is pretty much out in the cold too.

Not saying he is doing the wrong thing but with the big health question mark hanging over head I don't see him benefiting much by leaving unless he just doesn't have any interest in school. Seems to me that since he got hurt while on scholarship UCLA would be responsible for his treatments...and maybe they will still pay for his re-hab anyway?

There is risk anyway you go. No guarantee either way so you just decide what way you think is best in your case and go with it.

Archived