DL Play

ALTiger

Serious question in why is our Defensive line getting pushed around and blown off the ball so much? I mean JSU and SJSU had their way with our DL....it is truly mind boggling. Does anyone have any true insight as to what they may be doing wrong, or are the OLs of the teams we have played been that good?

I know the knee jerk reaction to my question is "Fire RG" but from a technique standpoint what is happening there?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I had the same thought last week watching SJSU seeming run at will against our defensive front. And all the credit for that can't go to Tyler Ervin. We were not doing a good job shedding the blocks.

JMO. What I've seen is slow get off. Seems like the opposing oline is in our face before were out of our stance. These guys (excluding Adams and Russell at times) just don't seem to have the mean streak it takes to play dline in the SEC. Maybe its there and coaches just haven't found it yet but until we start to fire off the ball looking to rip heads off rather than stand up and catch blockers we will continue to struggle.

The part about lack of a mean streak can be said about our oline as well. IMO

It's been like this ever since Dee Ford left the program. And for one half against UL our front looked like how I expected a Muschamp defense to get after it. When Lawson went out everything fell apart on the DL. We went from attacking on the DL to doing middle school slow dances with the OL. What is going on?

It's been like this ever since Dee Ford left the program. And for one half against UL our front looked like how I expected a Muschamp defense to get after it. When Lawson went out everything fell apart on the DL. We went from attacking on the DL to doing middle school slow dances with the OL. What is going on?

That's been a problem for a lot longer than just this season. Absolutely no arm moves or twists to get free and through the line. They look like offensive linemen out there. The more you watch it, the more you'll see it. It's been damned awful and I expect CWM will see that changes or will find someone who will change it.

That's been a problem for a lot longer than just this season. Absolutely no arm moves or twists to get free and through the line. They look like offensive linemen out there. The more you watch it, the more you'll see it. It's been damned awful and I expect CWM will see that changes or will find someone who will change it.

LOLOL seriously if you took a video and cropped out everything but the OL and DL you wouldn't be able to tell who was doing the blocking and who was doing the rushing.

I really think the reason our DL was somewhat productive in 2013 was due to the presence of Dee Ford and Carl Lawson. The opponents' OLs had to stop Ford, and had to account for Lawson when he was in the game (Lawson had tremendous games against Ole Miss and UAT). That need for opponents' OLs to address our edge meant the inside, including Gabe Wright, were almost always facing a single-team blocks. In 2014, the opponents' OLs were able to double Mo Adams or Gabe Wright, and were able to handle our other DTs and our DEs with single team blocks

With the loss of Lawson in 2014, we tried a lot of things, including moving DTs to DE, but nothing really worked. Gabe Wright lost weight to help him work at DE, but that may have hurt his ability inside. I saw Gabe Wright pancaked onto his butt several times while playing DT.

The second issue I see is the constant change in both our defensive systems and our recruiting. We have gone from Paul Rhodes, to Ted Roof, to Brian Van Gorder, to Ellis Johnson, to Will Mushchamp. Each of those DCs had different systems, different philosophies, and different recruiting approaches. We need stability for a few years to get a system working, and recruit the correct athletes to the system.

The last thing I see is we have a lack of talent in the DL. Adams cannot do it all. Lawson is out again. Cowart is no Lawson, and will take time to develop. The others are not playing up to a Top-10 program first string talent level. Also, our DT recruiting has not been great, we have little depth, and no superstar recruits.

We are small on DL. Most O Lines in nearly all schools are 300 lbs plus across the front. According to our 2015 roster we have 15 guys over 300 lbs. 14 are OL. One is DL and he is a pure Freshman. Even Adams is listed at 296. On top of that we are not fast. Tubbs defenses at AU were not overly big but they were extremely fast, especially at the LB positions. We just get pushed around

I don't disagree with your ultimate point, but we continued to destroy UL's OL for that entire game. The problem was that we couldn't get our hands on that freaking QB and were never able to adjust and contain him.

Why did we continue to destroy that OL when we haven't been able to do it to anybody since- not even an FCS team? Louisville's OL returned 19 career starts from a 2014 squad that wasn't very good itself. They had 3 FR and a SO on their OL 2-deep. That might have been the worst OL you'll see an Auburn team face for awhile.

I don't disagree with your ultimate point, but we continued to destroy UL's OL for that entire game. The problem was that we couldn't get our hands on that freaking QB and were never able to adjust and contain him.

Why did we continue to destroy that OL when we haven't been able to do it to anybody since- not even an FCS team? Louisville's OL returned 19 career starts from a 2014 squad that wasn't very good itself. They had 3 FR and a SO on their OL 2-deep. That might have been the worst OL you'll see an Auburn team face for awhile.

You're right, the DL was playing very well for the entirety of the UL game. I don't know how I forgot about that considering the DL hasn't looked close to the same since the. But against JSU we should've had a similar showing AT LEAST. Maybe even against SJSU. The level of talent and size even alone should've been enough to overwhelm both of those OLs.

You're right, the DL was playing very well for the entirety of the UL game. I don't know how I forgot about that considering the DL hasn't looked close to the same since the. But against JSU we should've had a similar showing AT LEAST. Maybe even against SJSU. The level of talent and size even alone should've been enough to overwhelm both of those OLs.

The difference is technique. Against UL they had their hands up on pass plays, moved side to side... After that game, they reverted to last year's play - hands inside, blocking - just like an offensive line.

I don't think we should meassure any of our position groups based on the Louisville game. That was over a month ago and UL sucks. We should be seeing gradual improvement every week as the season progresses. Tackling/blocking should be getting better, guys on the lines should start to gel and feel more comfortable with the schemes and with their fellow linemen. At least that's how "most" football teams operate in a season.....gradual improvement in the basic fundamentals and players executing at a higher level each week.

Serious question in why is our Defensive line getting pushed around and blown off the ball so much? I mean JSU and SJSU had their way with our DL....it is truly mind boggling. Does anyone have any true insight as to what they may be doing wrong, or are the OLs of the teams we have played been that good?

I know the knee jerk reaction to my question is "Fire RG" but from a technique standpoint what is happening there?

If teams like Vandy can field a good defense, why can't we? The the short answer is that it is a combination of: poor recruiting, bad technique by players, lack of depth, lack of training/practice at times, poor coaching at times, and s a result you have a total systemic meltdown on the defensive side that had been in place for almost a decade (give or take a few players).

But you are correct - the players we have SHOULD be better, but they are not. I have been waiting for a top 25 defense for the last 8 years. Right now I would take a top 50 defense... that only happened once.

It will take YEARS to get out of this. YEARS of recruiting and coaching. As Muschamp said last month: He has never seen anything (this bad) in all of his time coaching like he has seen this year at AU. It is a cultural problem.

"As Muschamp said last month: He has never seen anything (this bad) in all of his time coaching like he has seen this year at AU. It is a cultural problem. "

When did Muchamp say That?

"As Muschamp said last month: He has never seen anything (this bad) in all of his time coaching like he has seen this year at AU. It is a cultural problem. "

Last month.

Muschamp said Wednesday that he couldn’t remember being involved with a defense this poor in terms of execution three weeks into a season.

I think his exact words were “We were very young in the secondary last year at Florida and we struggled in some early games and played well as the year went on, but not in our whole defense, no. We played well (last) year in our front seven. As a total group no. I’ve never been in this situation

Rodney Garner has gotten a few big recruits, but as far as bringing in quality depth he's failing miserably. Not impressed by what he's done since he's been at Auburn. The position group he coaches has consistently been weak since he got here. Inconsistent stopping the run, and outside of Dee Ford and Carl Lawson nobody has gotten a pass rush. He need to make his money and sign a stellar class on the D-line.

JMO. What I've seen is slow get off. Seems like the opposing oline is in our face before were out of our stance. These guys (excluding Adams and Russell at times) just don't seem to have the mean streak it takes to play dline in the SEC. Maybe its there and coaches just haven't found it yet but until we start to fire off the ball looking to rip heads off rather than stand up and catch blockers we will continue to struggle.

You gotta have some serious dog in you to play up front. You have to outfight and outwork the other guy on every play. I don't see any dogs out there for us. I don't see anyone that demands a double team or anyone the other coach would point out on film and highlight as a priority for blocking schemes. Technique is important but you gotta just whip the other guy's butt to be a good DL.

You gotta have some serious dog in you to play up front. You have to outfight and outwork the other guy on every play. I don't see any dogs out there for us. I don't see anyone that demands a double team or anyone the other coach would point out on film and highlight as a priority for blocking schemes. Technique is important but you gotta just whip the other guy's butt to be a good DL.

Monty, but only Monty.

My view on coach RG has changed. When we got him back to Auburn I thought we would start pulling more big time kids from Georgia. But now I'm starting to think he was just benefiting from being at Georgia. There are only two big schools in the state Georgia and Georgia Tech. Any big time DL is going to Georgia over Tech. With that said I think most of RG big pulls to Georgia was given because if the kid wants to stay in state that's where they will go. There will always be kids that don't want to go to Georgia from the state but not that many if they are big time recruits. I haven't seen RG pull any out of the state except Adams and Lawson. RG didn't even recruit Lawson at Georiga so you can't say he won that one and Adams I guess you could say was a win but don't remember how hard Georgia was after him. But that's just 2 in the years he has been here and the ones he has got here do not look like they have improved from day one. Hope he and coach Will can pull some this year but looks like a uphill battle.

Archived