DL Play

ALTiger

So basically, we need to look into hiring their DL coach.

He's spent the last 23 years with Pinkel at Toledo and Missouri, so good luck prying him away.

I think he's easily one of the best DL coaches in the country.

2009: DT Ziggy Hood (1st round)

2011: DE/OLB Aldon Smith (1st round)

2013: DT/DE Sheldon Richardson (1st round)

2014: DE Kony Ealy (2nd round)

2015: DE Shane Ray (1st round)

2015: DE Markus Golden (2nd round)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's spent the last 23 years with Pinkel at Toledo and Missouri, so good luck prying him away.

Holy hell that's impressive! Did not know that. wow....

[color-orange]I just want Rocker back. [/color] Rodney just needs to be the head recruiter and let a mean SOB take over actually teaching them how to play like mean SOB's on the interior DL. We need some Fairley's in the middle of the defense. Playing DL in the SEC takes a mean streak and even though we have one very talented player (Monty) none of them look like they are mean enough.

Rockers D line looked good against Bama.......... (Sarcasm font)

I see you didn't watch the UGA/Tennessee game yesterday. Rocker's D-line looked worse than Garner's, and UT' is not bammer.

I just want Rocker back. Rodney just needs to be the head recruiter and let a mean SOB take over actually teaching them how to play like mean SOB's on the interior DL. We need some Fairley's in the middle of the defense. Playing DL in the SEC takes a mean streak and even though we have one very talented player (Monty) none of them look like they are mean enough.

I see you didn't watch the UGA/Tennessee game yesterday. Rocker's D-line looked worse than Garner's, and UT' is not bammer.

I am not asking for Rocker (although he is a better coach than RG), I just want an average DL coach. I wanted Muschamp to bring Lawing with him, but for some reason, he did not/could not.

wde

I just want Rocker back. Rodney just needs to be the head recruiter and let a mean SOB take over actually teaching them how to play like mean SOB's on the interior DL. We need some Fairley's in the middle of the defense. Playing DL in the SEC takes a mean streak and even though we have one very talented player (Monty) none of them look like they are mean enough.

I am not asking for Rocker (although he is a better coach than RG), I just want an average DL coach. I wanted Muschamp to bring Lawing with him, but for some reason, he did not/could not.

wde

Spitballing, but I'm thinking Lawing couldn't come due to loyalty to Garner and retaining him. Perhaps the staff as a whole wanted to see if Garner could perform better with a better DC in control. Hopefully it was just a try out season and he's cut loose at the end of the year.

wde

Spitballing, but I'm thinking Lawing couldn't come due to loyalty to Garner and retaining him. Perhaps the staff as a whole wanted to see if Garner could perform better with a better DC in control. Hopefully it was just a try out season and he's cut loose at the end of the year.

Agree. But it has cost AU dearly by being loyal to a coach who was not loyal to AU until he had worn out his welcome at uga.

wde

I've been saying this for at least two years

A fun analysis for those that want to use "youth" and "inexperience" any chance they can get to explain away ineptitude:

Mizzou is second in the nation with 48 TFLs. The Tigers had six in the win over South Carolina Saturday, including four sacks. Here’s the really amazing part about it. They start a true freshman at DT in Terry Beckner, a redshirt freshman in Walter Brady, a sophomore in Charles Harris and a junior in Josh Augusta. The freshmen and sophomores have combined for 20 TFLs and eight sacks. This is like Case 213 of why Mizzou’s defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski is as good as there is at what he does.

You want to get even more depressed? Redshirt Freshman DE Walter Brady (who is now up to 6 sacks, second in the SEC) is from Florence, Alabama. He was a 2-star recruit ranked #68 in the state by 247 Composite, who Missouri for whatever reason felt compelled to offer. That same year we landed Justin Thornton, who seemingly can't even get on the field.

I mentioned him in a recruiting thread a while back because somebody was telling me there really wasn't that much talent in nw Alabama....I said I don't know about rankings and stuff but there are some kids that can play. Middle Tenn starting left tackle went to Florence too who's a freshman, wanted to come here I was told but we didn't offer

Seems like he made a great decision....If we could get two or three guys to do that here we could kill recruiting...we have to show we can develop guys man

My hometown. Everybody but Auburn recruits the area it seems

A fun analysis for those that want to use "youth" and "inexperience" any chance they can get to explain away ineptitude:

Mizzou is second in the nation with 48 TFLs. The Tigers had six in the win over South Carolina Saturday, including four sacks. Here’s the really amazing part about it. They start a true freshman at DT in Terry Beckner, a redshirt freshman in Walter Brady, a sophomore in Charles Harris and a junior in Josh Augusta. The freshmen and sophomores have combined for 20 TFLs and eight sacks. This is like Case 213 of why Mizzou’s defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski is as good as there is at what he does.

You want to get even more depressed? Redshirt Freshman DE Walter Brady (who is now up to 6 sacks, second in the SEC) is from Florence, Alabama. He was a 2-star recruit ranked #68 in the state by 247 Composite, who Missouri for whatever reason felt compelled to offer. That same year we landed Justin Thornton, who seemingly can't even get on the field.

legit coaching hurts sometimes

It is impossible to say that we dont have the athletes to be good. We have recruited well according to the services that grade these guys for a number of years. You cant tell me that we are too young or dont have good enough talent. The lack of performance comes down to 2 things, coaching and effort. Some guys play with all the effort in the world but cant get off blocks and others seem like they are content being blocked and hide in the melee. Lambert is one that comes to mind. He plays with a lot of effort and is constantly fighting to get loose but rarely does. Seems like someone could teach him how to be more effective. It really is amazing to watch an Auburn game then watch basically anyone else play afterwards. Auburn's D-line never seems to get effective pressure during the game except for maybe 2 or 3 times total. Everyone else seems to get pressure on average 2 or 3 times every other drive.

Archived