Status of Team after a few Practices

AuburnNTexas

Now that we have had a few practices any input on how individual players look and how the team looks overall.

Purifoy will shock and amaze all who watch AU basketball.

(Disclaimer: I have not seen or heard about any AU practices. I just know this kid will be the next great AU BB star.)

Huh?????

This made me laugh! I know there have been very good things said about this young man but all I could help but read was "I just know"!

... And for that I am glad that you do! That is some serious magic MOD power!

;) (Just teasen in case anyone gets their knickers bunched)

(Disclaimer: I have not seen or heard about any AU practices. I just know this kid will be the next great AU BB star.)

Huh?????

This made me laugh! I know there have been very good things said about this young man but all I could help but read was "I just know"!

Has he been cleared to play yet?

Huh?????

I don't think so. Still sounds like the NCAA is just taking their time on the issue though.

Huh?????

I don't think so. Still sounds like the NCAA is just taking their time on the issue though.

With a little over a month left until the first game, hopefully this gets sorted out as soon as possible. I'm sure he's practicing with the team, but he's far to talented for Scout Team.

As of 4 days ago Bruce said Purifoy still waiting on NCAA but is practicing with the team.

Getting back to original subject has anybody seen any of the practices or knows somebody who has who can give us some information on how individual players look and how they look as a team when playing together. This early in practice especially with so many new faces more interested in how they look individually as it takes a while to develop a team identity..

I read a couple articles after the first practice but haven't seen anything written since then. Info from the first practice was mostly general info such as we will be more athletic but may not shot as well. I seem to remember Pearl praising the transfer PG who sat out last year (Canty sp?)

Huh?????

Knickers never get bunched on message boards.

Just know what I've been told by someone who is associated with him. (This person is a hard core UA fan who cursed their previous coach for not making him UA's top priority.). Seriously hope he is cleared. He's a program changer.

Tyler Harris is a good ball distributor, but his shot is shaky and streaky at best. Bowers has been impressive and even has remodeled his free throw mechanics. The ball actually has backspin now leaving his hand. Kareem Canty is a difference maker. Dude's a flat out athlete.

Huh?????

Just know what I've been told by someone who is associated with him. (This person is a hard core UA fan who cursed their previous coach for not making him UA's top priority.). Seriously hope he is cleared. He's a program changer.

I watched a Scout analyst video today and the 2 people speaking thought there is a decent chance Purifoy would not get to play this year. They said his test score jumped very high and he got marked for this. They said it is possible he will have to go to school a year and make his grades before they will clear him. (Just passing this along). It was a free video discussion. I got it off Twitter.

Huh?????

I watched a Scout analyst video today and the 2 people speaking thought there is a decent chance Purifoy would not get to play this year. They said his test score jumped very high and he got marked for this. They said it is possible he will have to go to school a year and make his grades before they will clear him. (Just passing this along). It was a free video discussion. I got it off Twitter.

I heard the same. I am not sure I like the somewhat arbitrary nature of this rule. It seems to assume and imply wrongdoing without any real proof.

Huh?????

I heard the same. I am not sure I like the somewhat arbitrary nature of this rule. It seems to assume and imply wrongdoing without any real proof.

That's exactly what it does, and has been doing for years. When a guy's score jumps from 12 to 24 the situation bears some looking into. Any number of cases have been discovered where someone was hired to take the test for the person in question.

In Purifoy's case, he changed schools three times (maybe four) in two years. That never seems to work out for the best. I've said from the day we signed him that I didn't think he'd get past the NCAA and play this year. He still might, but I'd be very surprised.

Huh?????

That's exactly what it does, and has been doing for years. When a guy's score jumps from 12 to 24 the situation bears some looking into. Any number of cases have been discovered where someone was hired to take the test for the person in question.

In Purifoy's case, he changed schools three times (maybe four) in two years. That never seems to work out for the best. I've said from the day we signed him that I didn't think he'd get past the NCAA and play this year. He still might, but I'd be very surprised.

JMO but BP probably knew this but wanted to "lock him up" just the same. .....figuring for the long haul. Gives him a year to learn the system, get stronger and hopefully improve his academic capabilities enough to keep him in school now that he is here.

Huh?????

;)/> (Just teasen in case anyone gets their knickers bunched)

JMO but BP probably knew this but wanted to "lock him up" just the same. .....figuring for the long haul. Gives him a year to learn the system, get stronger and hopefully improve his academic capabilities enough to keep him in school now that he is here.

I really hope he can play. We need him, especially defensively since we have so many smaller guards. You need a long guy who can guard 3 positions when you have small guards to help compensate and keep mismatches low

I really hope he can play. We need him, especially defensively since we have so many smaller guards. You need a long guy who can guard 3 positions when you have small guards to help compensate and keep mismatches low

I think every Auburn fan hopes Purifoy can play. It just seems really, really shaky right now, and has seemed that way since before his signing.

I like this team. Coach was honest and talked about areas that need to work on and their weaknesses and he and his staff will help them get better. I think it is just a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Overview of the scrimmage today.

No coach speak there. I appreciate his honesty, it's refreshing.

Yes

Really interesting seeing Bruce low energy and almost upset. He does not like where his team is right now. I think that is the difference we will see pay dividends very soon. Bruce isnt propping up bad play to make people feel better. If he doesn't like what he sees, he's going to let it be known. I think it is the first time I've heard a coach admit that he can't tell if our offense is good or if our defense stinks. Just going off the mood of the interview, I'd not expect much this year out of any of the previous stafffs. Bruce just seems to be pushing harder to be good NOW instead of later. I bet it pays off.

I think we'll be slightly improved from last season. Size will be a huge disadvantage for us, but I think we will have more overall skill out on the floor this year...But boy laying down the foundation for which should match or exceed the Chris Porter --> Marquis Daniels era of successful AU bball is on the horizon and is very exciting.

Archived